My distaste for vegetables goes as far as salsa.

I remember as a child dipping a chip into salsa and allowing all the veggie chunks to slide back into the bowl, and then I inevitably ate a chip that was covered in salsa ‘juice.’

Things still haven’t changed – I am not a fan of chunks in salsa. The only difference is that these days I’m usually 3 margaritas deep while scooping the salsa. Makes the chunks a lot less painful.

Anytime I can, I am going to replace vegetables with fruit.

Because let’s be real – no one but me considers bacon an appropriate substitute for veggies.

Sweet + savory is a must-have combo in my daily life. Ideally, it wouldn’t come in the form of fruit and veggies, but I can’t afford a new wardrobe. I need too many new pairs of shoes.

Another reason I love this salsa?

It is pink.

Give me sparkles and glitter and a crown on my head. Anything glitzy catches my eye. And I’d be lying if I said I don’t pray every night for Sarah Jessica Parker and Chris Noth to have a relationship in real life.

Fresh Watermelon Salsa

1/2 cup chopped watermelon

1/4 cup chopped tomato

2 tablespoons chopped red onion

1 tablespoon chopped jalepeno

1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

the juice of 1 lime

salt & pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.

Serve with tortilla chips and cinnamon-sugar pita chips.

So the real problem with vegetables? Their color. If only they were pink, then I would be sure to eat some.

And no, tomatoes or radishes or beets or whatever don’t count. Because I said so.

Check out How Sweet It Is on Whirl Magazine.

75 Responses to “Fresh Watermelon Salsa.”

Erica — May 25, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Josh only likes chunk-less salsa. I often grind the salsa up in the magic bullet when he is going to eat it. But watermelon salsa? I think I could get him behind this. Great for the summer

Christie {Honoring Health} — May 25, 2010 @ 4:46 am

Delicious! I have just starting making my own salsa’s and watermelon is on my list for sure. Yours looks great!

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy — May 25, 2010 @ 4:50 am

This SCREAMS summer!!! Thanks!

Wei-Wei — May 25, 2010 @ 4:57 am

Yum! Remove the cilantro and I’m in. ;)

(You could COLOUR it with beet juice if you really liked pink. I don’t know about the flavour it’d have, though.)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 25, 2010 @ 5:03 am

This looks just perfect for summer!

Erica — May 25, 2010 @ 5:24 am

This looks really refreshing. I love that you still added a few tomatoes to give it that salsa flavor. Looks amazing.

Tina — May 25, 2010 @ 5:26 am

I would never think to have watermelon made a little more savory. I bet it tastes good though. How could watermelon not taste good?

shelly (cookies and cups) — May 25, 2010 @ 5:32 am

this looks great! You’re right…if it’s pink it’s automatically better :)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 25, 2010 @ 5:35 am

Oh, that looks good! I’d probably eat it straight up, lol. I bet it’s good on ice cream!

Jenn

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — May 25, 2010 @ 5:39 am

Hehe. You and I are salsa twins. I DO NOT like chunks in my salsa unless it is a pico de gallo. If it isn’t (and if it is pace or any other crap brand like that), I will NOT eat it. Yes, I’m a salsa snob. If it is a chunky good salsa, I will venture to dip my chip in and make sure it is covered in just the juices before taking a bite. This is dish (chunks included) is certainly worthy of a bite!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — May 25, 2010 @ 5:45 am

Um YUM! Looks so refreshing and delicious…and makes me so excited for summer days!!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — May 25, 2010 @ 5:49 am

this is TOO funny taht you posted this!! jason and I got the BIGGEST watermelon this past weekend. seriously it was 9 dollars and took me about 30 minutes to cut…we have SO MUCH leftover and this is a perfect way to use it!!!! I LOVE fruit salsa!!

Daisy — May 25, 2010 @ 6:15 am

deeeelish. Ditto re: SJP and Chris North. Will you be seeing SATC 2 this weekend ;)? I made a salad last night too, though if I served it to you, you’d pick out the avocado and orange slices. You are so funny about your vegetables!

• Jessica — May 25th, 2010 @ 6:22 am

Of course I am! :)

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — May 25, 2010 @ 6:16 am

I love the sweet and savory combination of flavors here. Watermelon is one of my all time favorite fruits, this recipe is a must try! :)

Shelley — May 25, 2010 @ 6:28 am

wow, i’m impressed! never seen this combo before…yumm!

Jil — May 25, 2010 @ 6:29 am

This looks amazing – so refreshing! I’m with you – I am not a chunky salsa gal…I did the same thing as a kid.

jenny — May 25, 2010 @ 6:32 am

No way! I’m so an Aidan girl!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — May 25, 2010 @ 6:37 am

This is perfect! Summer time always makes me think of melon!

Maria — May 25, 2010 @ 6:38 am

Watermelon is my favorite thing about summer. I can’t wait to try this salsa!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — May 25, 2010 @ 6:46 am

Watermelons are so great, aren’t they? I’ve never had a watermelon salsa before. Shall have to try!

janetha — May 25, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Why have I never thought of this? Genius, Jess!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 25, 2010 @ 7:34 am

love this idea! i’m convinced that red onion makes everything wonderful :) also, i cracked up at the beginning…i used to do the same thing with salsa and it would piss my parents off so much because there’d never be enough salsa juice left for them!

sophia — May 25, 2010 @ 7:37 am

I just want to dig in with a spoon. Forget salsa– this is my summer dessert!! :D

Susan — May 25, 2010 @ 7:49 am

Oooooh, I LOVE this! Most fruit salsas are made with pineapple, which I’m allergic to. Happy to find one that is “safe.” Perhaps it should be eaten with a tequila watermelon?? :P

• Jessica — May 25th, 2010 @ 7:54 am

Sounds good to me!

Biz — May 25, 2010 @ 8:05 am

I am the same way with chunks – that’s why my salsa goes into a blender, and I leave out the icky onions.

Love this combo though – I have a similar salad I am going to try with watermelon and cucumbers – and basically what you would have is your salad above!

My hubs and I were watching Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives – um, one guy made tempura BACON! I immediately thought of you!

• Jessica — May 25th, 2010 @ 8:35 am

Oh sign me up for some of that!

Amanda — May 25, 2010 @ 8:37 am

Ooohh…a SATC fan? :) I have never tried this salsa and I am afraid too!! I love the sweetness of watermellon, what if I was forever haunted by trying it and it wasnt sweet??

#imlame

Blessings!
    AManda

Katrina — May 25, 2010 @ 8:42 am

Holy moley, this looks great! It’s so hot outside and this will be PERFECT for a snack. Amazing.

Mackenzie @ The Caramel Cookie — May 25, 2010 @ 9:08 am

What a creative salsa! yum!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 25, 2010 @ 9:36 am

Haha, it took me years to get past just eating the “salsa juice!”

Nicole, RD — May 25, 2010 @ 10:12 am

Is there a single pink vegetable? Hmm…I can’t come up with one. BUMMER! :)

The salsa looks great, I love the idea of serving it with sweet pita chips!!

Erica @ Fashion meets Food — May 25, 2010 @ 10:24 am

Wow that looks absolutely amazing!!! I might just have to go on a search for some good watermelon.

xo

Anne — May 25, 2010 @ 10:37 am

I love the colour in your salsa :)

Jenna — May 25, 2010 @ 10:51 am

I am 100% with you on your distaste for veggies. But.. I do LOVE chunks in my salsa. Watermelon seems like such a wonderful addition!

Hayley — May 25, 2010 @ 11:54 am

I loooove mango salsa- great idea using watermelon. Bring on the fruit.

Mary (A Merry Life) — May 25, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

Never thought of using watermelon even though I <3 the mango salsa. Good idea for a summer dish.

Katie — May 25, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

I can’t wait until I start seeing the big fat watermelons in the supermarket – I can eat the whole thing for a dinner. This salsa looks awesome.

Also, congrats on the Whirl magazine – great article. :-)

Paula — May 25, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

how tasty! yummy!

Blond Duck — May 25, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

I love watermelon. And kudos for getting recongized!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — May 25, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

I did the same salsa sliding thing when I was young too! Now though I don’t mind chunks too much as long as it’s not too spicy. Sweet is good, spicy is bad.

Michelle(Snacks&Field) — May 25, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

This sounds like such a good, refreshing combo! I’ll have to try that this summer for my family- my friends aren’t very open to “healthy” creations- they don’t like vegetables either lol

Erin @ Making Memories — May 25, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

This looks absolutely delicious!!!!

vanillasugar — May 25, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

yeah i’m not that into watermelon unless it has vodka in it, BUT i did try a watermelon salsa, so i’m with ya on this one chicklet

The Candid RD — May 25, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

This is one of my FAVORITE recipes. I actually posted this same recipe on my blog last summer! I make it every year. So delicious.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 25, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

congrats on your magazine write -up !!! I just commented over there.

and I am so excited to try this salsa recipe when watermelon is uber cheap in the summer!

oxoxo

Caroline — May 25, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Love this idea! I have so much watermelon right now in my fridge and sometimes you just want to mix things up a bit! This looks perfect. Thanks for sharing :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — May 25, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

This looks so good!! I was the same way with salsa. Still am unless I’ve made it myself. All I’ve ever liked was the juice on my chips. My family has always made fun of me for it. Glad I’m not the only one!!

Kara @ MyWellnest — May 25, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

I don’t like chunky salsa either. I’m all about the salsa juice!

Barbara Bakes — May 25, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

lol – I preferred the salsa ‘juice’ as a kid too. This salsa looks so refreshing. Perfect for summer.

homecookedem — May 25, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

I hated the chunks when I was a kid too, but now I actually love chunky salsa, but I totally understand your aversion to the chunks… I get it girl!

This watermelon salsa looks so refreshing and tasty!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 25, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

I love salsa with fruit in it!! I have only ever had mango, and peach, but watermelon would be great!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Fresh Watermelon Salsa. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Fresh Watermelon Salsa. | How Sweet It Is | Callate y escucha - WwW.CallateyEscucha.Com - Buscador De Musica

3. Pingback: Southwest Chicken Salad. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Vegan Recipe of the Week: Organic Watermelon Salsa « Autonomie Project’s Blog

5. Pingback: Watermelon Recipes That Will Blow Your Mind | Ask A Fitness Coach