A few months after our wedding, Mr. How Sweet and I went shopping to complete our registry.

One of the things we bought was a cast iron grill pan.

I’m sure you can imagine how thrilled Mr. How Sweet was about this, especially after carrying the heavy pan (along with other miscellaneous items) around for a few hours.

He was even more thrilled about it the next morning when he woke up in his trance at 5am and kicked it as hard as he could with his foot. That was an accident, of course. Have you ever kicked a cast iron pan? It’s not pretty. I wasn’t surprised, because in the mornings Mr. How Sweet stumbles around like he had 16 tequila shots the night before and is now blind.

A few days later, I attempted to season the cast iron pan, almost burning down our love shack.

That probably would have been the best thing to ever happen to Mr. How Sweet’s bachelor pad. Just sayin’.

Needless to say, the cast iron grill pan went into the basement, never to be seen again. I’m surprised it even made it’s way to our new house.

I had to dig it out for this pineapple.

I’m afraid of the grill. I am convinced that I will blow myself up if I use it alone, so I leave that task to the ‘Grill Sargent,’ as he so creatively named himself this week.

After grilling the pineapple, it becomes slightly caramelized and is just scrumptious. The toasted coconut adds a crunchy, creamy texture, and a light spritz of lime pulls it all together. It makes the perfect Summer side dish.

Since the pineapple and lime combo is fairly acidic, I would suggest pairing it with something much less acidic. (Like. . .bacon. Just kidding. Sort of.)

If not, you will end up burning the bejesus out of your lips.

I’ve experieced this first hand after Mr. How Sweet and his friends thought it would be a wise idea to soak pineapple in vodka for 3 weeks, then eat it and make smoothies with it.

Yeah. That was fun.

Grilled Pineapple with Toasted Coconut and Lime

3 pineapple slices, 2 inches thick

2 tablespoons toasted coconut

1 lime, cut into wedges

Heat grill or grill pan. Grill pineapple until it slightly caramelizes. Transfer to plate. Top with coconut and granish with lime wedges.

Even though Mr. How Sweet is an old man had most items on our registry already since he had lived on his own for so long, I was scared to used them. Many of them were encrusted in some sort of . . . goo.

We bought what we really needed.

Mr. How Sweet decided that I really needed a mink wrap. It was the end of winter and we had many gift cards to use up. I guess he is alright.

Tomorrow How Sweet It Is will be experiencing some routine maintenance and may be down for most of the day. Make sure to check back in on Sunday!

59 Responses to “Grilled Pineapple with Toasted Coconut and Lime.”

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 7, 2010 @ 6:10 am

Yum!! This looks like such an awesome summer dessert…with maybe a little vanilla bean ice cream ;-)

brandi — May 7, 2010 @ 6:10 am

yum. we love grilling fruit in the summer! it’s the perfect quick + easy dessert.

Evan Thomas — May 7, 2010 @ 6:10 am

How sweet indeed! I love whenever a food gets to “caramelize”; that word sends feeling all over my taste buds.

Paige (running around normal) — May 7, 2010 @ 6:20 am

I neeed a cast iron pan. I want to make frittatas in it! And perhaps this delicious looking coconut lime pineapple :) Mmmm.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 7, 2010 @ 6:25 am

I need a cast iron grill! I love grilled pineapple! This sounds so good and refreshing! I could used some of my caramel sauce on it to cut the acidity! YUM! Have a great weekend!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 7, 2010 @ 6:27 am

I LOVE grilled pineapple! Coconut makes it even better!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — May 7, 2010 @ 6:41 am

Seriously how do you constantly keep coming up with these fabulous recipes?!!! I love love love grilled pineapple, and coconut & lime are 2 of my favorite flavors. Yum!!

Morgan — May 7, 2010 @ 6:41 am

I think grilled pineapple might just be a gift from the heavens

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — May 7, 2010 @ 6:58 am

Love pineapple! And I’m sure it’s so delicious with the coconut and lime…makes me so excited for summer grilling weather!

Stephanie — May 7, 2010 @ 7:02 am

I need this coconut pineapple in my life, yummmmm!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 7, 2010 @ 7:03 am

Yummmmm! I think I need to get myself a cast iron grill! :)

Camille — May 7, 2010 @ 7:23 am

Looks delicious and simple!

homecookedem — May 7, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Looks fabulous!! When we stayed at the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas last summer, they came around with something that looked like this while we were laying poolside. It was the perfect mid-afternoon treat!! :)

Cindy Coniglio — May 7, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Where are you at today woman?

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 7, 2010 @ 7:35 am

My grandpa gave all of us cast iron skillets when we graduated college because he deemed it a “life necessity.” Now I know why…

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — May 7, 2010 @ 7:36 am

haha pairing it with bacon “just kidding…sort of” you are TOO much!! this looks delicious! i love grilled fruit!! I went ot a restaurant once and they grilled watermelon! it was hot outside and coolinside it was the strangest, most delicious thing I have had from a grill!

Wei-Wei — May 7, 2010 @ 7:43 am

Mmm I never would have thought of this but it makes so much sense! Grilled pineapple MUST be awesome. :D

Wei-Wei

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 7, 2010 @ 7:54 am

grilled fruit is one of my favorite desserts in the entire world! grilled pineapple and peaches are seriously the best though :)

Nicole, RD — May 7, 2010 @ 8:00 am

That pineapple looks STRAIGHT out of a magazine! Gorgeous!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — May 7, 2010 @ 8:08 am

Grilled pineapple throws me back to my Hawaii trip almost 7 years ago… craziness!! LOVE it!

Kacy — May 7, 2010 @ 8:43 am

I want a grill pan! If only to make that.

Melinda — May 7, 2010 @ 8:48 am

Looks so good. This is very popular on the island. The grow pineapple here but it is a little different than the kind we get back in the states. It is smaller for one.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — May 7, 2010 @ 8:57 am

YUM…that looks great! I am going to try this out for sure…probably on the George Foreman Grill because we don’t have a grill pan! Have a great weekend pretty lady!

Erica — May 7, 2010 @ 9:09 am

I love love love grilling pineapple! It really brings out its amazing flavor. Just beautiful. I will miss you tomorrow ;)

Jil — May 7, 2010 @ 9:10 am

Mmm this looks amazing and all tropically..haha It’s the perfect summer dessert!! ..plus putting this over a little ice cream or fro yo…ahhh yum

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 7, 2010 @ 9:44 am

routine maintenance? please go “maintain” yourself with a long weekend away from blogging!! we all deserve it, esp you girl! seriously hope all goes well w/ tech updates or whatev. They tend to be very stressful.

This is a GREAT way to eat pineapple…yum!

My Delicious — May 7, 2010 @ 9:48 am

what a great pics! I love pineapple in this way!

Hallie — May 7, 2010 @ 10:17 am

My boyfriend’s dad introduced us to the most amazing grilled pineapple. Not healthy at all but SO good. He marinated the pineapple in a mixture of melted butter and Frank’s Red Hot sauce. Then grilled so it was that sweet/spicy/smoky combo. It was amazing, and I’d like some right now, please.

• Jessica — May 7th, 2010 @ 10:39 am

That sounds FABULOUS.

Mr. How Sweet It Is — May 7, 2010 @ 10:30 am

Dearest wifey,

Perhaps you should explain to your readers that you left the cast iron pan in the middle of the floor when I kicked it at 5AM. Sure, I have you ranked “average” as a cook (why only “average?” so you continue to work at it. That sort of logic is why I’m in management.) However, your organizational skills are ranked as “needs improvement.” Placing a cast iron skillet at the bottom of the steps on the floor for me to trip over is so not putting it where it belongs. That is actually the complete opposite of “putting it where it belongs.”

• Jessica — May 7th, 2010 @ 10:37 am

Did you ever consider that I may have left it there on purpose? Hmmm…

Allison — May 7, 2010 @ 11:05 am

This looks delicious! I love the pineapple coconut combo!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — May 7, 2010 @ 11:20 am

I love grilled fruit, this looks fab!

xo
    K

Lara (Thinspired) — May 7, 2010 @ 11:26 am

I saw the title of this post come up on Twitter and I HAD to click through! I am on a pineapple kick lately, and I always love coconut, so you can bet I’ll be asking my husband if we can buy an indoor grill now! :)

Nichole — May 7, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Ahh who doesn’t enjoy a good fruit-soaked adult beverage pairing?

Last time we grilled pineapple we only lost one to the flames:) Poor guy feel right through.

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — May 7, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

Mmm… bring out those SWEET juices even more! Yum, pineapple is the best fruit ever.

Jenn

Katrina — May 7, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

I love how simple, and yet, so delicious this recipe is. Awesome.

Midgetkeeper — May 7, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Love grilled pineapple and your love stories :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — May 7, 2010 @ 5:56 pm

I need to get a grill pan asap! You just reminded me exactly why!

That would be perfect for summer.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 7, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

Pineapple and coconut are two of my favourite flavours – this is one I need to try!!!

janetha — May 7, 2010 @ 11:51 pm

i NEED a cast iron grill pan!

Run Sarah — May 8, 2010 @ 12:54 am

This looks amazing and so simple – I love pineapple, one of my favourite fruits.

The Candid RD — May 8, 2010 @ 5:19 am

Ouch. Kicking a cast iron skillet, especially wh you are completely our of it, sounds very painful!
    The pineapple sound amazing. This is yet another recipe I know Nick would DIE for. I plan on making your sweet potato recipe from a few days ago next week (without the chili). I’ll post about it sooner or later!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — May 8, 2010 @ 8:27 am

YUMMMM!! Please, please come over and cook for me! I love reading all your stories and you always keep me smiling :)

Have a great day

XXOO

Helen — May 8, 2010 @ 9:24 am

Lol Grill Sergeant, love it! This looks lovely, nice and summery.

Amanda — May 8, 2010 @ 10:49 am

I dont know if this one is for me… but I LOVE how you are constantly thinking outside the box and consequently forcing me too!! Great pics girl!

The Healthy Apron — May 8, 2010 @ 11:15 am

Pineapple is SO SO delicious! This looks fantastic!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — May 8, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

haha funny story :-)
    great looking grilled pineapple

Ashley — May 8, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

grilled pineapple is my favorite, especially with some fish. to top it with coconut and lime? pure genius my friend!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — May 8, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

Yum… Grilled pineapple is one of my all-time favorites. I need to make some this week because I’ve had way too many baked goods lately. Sounds like a simple and not-so-bad-for-me dessert!

sophia — May 8, 2010 @ 9:14 pm

Oh, baby! PERFECT dessert. The tender, puckery pineapple, coaxed to a caramelized sweetness from the grill, and then that spritz of refreshing lime and the exotic, fragrant toasted coconut…perfection!!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Grilled Pineapple with Toasted Coconut and Lime. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com