I remember as a young girl thinking that fruity drinks were just so cool.

I longed for the day when I could order a pina colada or strawberry daiquiri, having no idea that people didn’t drink these every single day. I dreamed of sitting on my porch while drinking one, which inevitably overlooked some large body of water.

After a long day of sunbathing and reading, I would end the evening with this frozen drink so delicious and sugary that it gave me an instant headache.

Then, right before I went to bed, I’d pick a few 20′s off my money tree in the back yard so I could spend tomorrow doing the same thing.

I have always been a dreamer. Fruity, frozen drinks still excite me, as do beach scenes and fantasies about my future.

And pina colada is one of my all-time favorite flavors.

To my dismay, I soon learned that pina coladas were not a daily occurrence for most people. In fact, they weren’t even that good for you.

And it got worse. There really wasn’t a money tree in my backyard.

And there still isn’t, even though I pray every night to wake up and find one.

So, I had to find a reasonable, healthy, delicious, and economical replacement for my pina colada delusion.

With or without rum. Preferably the first option.

I didn’t add coconut rum to this parfait because I just can’t be trusted. One drop in, and I’m doomed.

Plus, it was a school night.

No, I’m not still in school, but I clearly haven’t grown up yet.

I highly suggest adding a drop of rum. Next time, that is the first step on my list.

Not only is this parfait protein-packed, it is full of juicy, sweet fruit. The toasted coconut adds a tiny bit of crunch and creaminess, and the much-needed texture that I crave.

Mango Colada Parfait

1 1/2 cups plain greek yogurt

1/2 cup chopped pineapple

1/4 cup chopped mango

1/4 cup toasted coconut

Begin with a layer of fruit and coconut, and add yogurt on top. Repeat as many times as you’d like for as many layers as you’d like. Top with more fruit and coconut.

Doesn’t it look like pie?

It almost tasted like pie, too – sans crust.

You must try it. It will make your belly happy.

66 Responses to “Mango Colada Parfait.”

Jennifer @ maple n cornbread — May 19, 2010 @ 4:52 am

It does look like pie! YUM!!! perfect lil summer “dessert” loving that its healthy to boot!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 19, 2010 @ 4:59 am

I was just thinking about making a yogurt parfait. That looks divine! :)

Jenn

Sinful Southern Sweets — May 19, 2010 @ 5:02 am

Oh, it does look like pie!! Just fabulous!

Wei-Wei — May 19, 2010 @ 5:04 am

Do you have a hobby for making your readers drool over lovely, delicious-looking summer desserts? And winter desserts, for that matter? And dinners? And snacks? And… food?!

This is so amazingly awesome. So tropical! Fabulous!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — May 19, 2010 @ 5:16 am

You are right…I must try that!

p.s. I’m going to go to the nursery today…I must find a money tree to plant in my backyard.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 19, 2010 @ 5:25 am

When you get that money tree, pass some of those seeds along to me. :-)

I used to LOVE pina coladas, and I remember when I found out how bad pina coladas are for you. It was like a part of me died.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 19, 2010 @ 5:32 am

This looks delicious and refreshing! All I need to do is be by the water :)

CaSaundra — May 19, 2010 @ 5:36 am

Yum–this totally screams summertime!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — May 19, 2010 @ 5:42 am

EVERYBODY likes parfaits :)
    Lovely as usual!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — May 19, 2010 @ 5:45 am

yum yum yum yum yum

Erica — May 19, 2010 @ 6:00 am

You know I love me a parfait! I’m going to have to try this mix. Wait..you don’t have a money tree? I thought everyone had one… ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 19, 2010 @ 6:04 am

um, heck yes this looks like pie! and i am really wanting some right now…i need something to help me escape from the workplace and pretend i’m on a tropical island somewhere….

Amanda — May 19, 2010 @ 6:12 am

GORGEOUS!! You sure made that dessert FABULOUS!!

brandi — May 19, 2010 @ 6:13 am

It totally looks like pie! Yum.

That looks good, I thought it was whip cream at first.

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — May 19, 2010 @ 6:20 am

Ooh yum, I love mango! The season is about to start in about a month down here, so hopefully I will be able to score some from my friend’s tree! There is nothing like a ripe, juicy mango in the summer. :)

Mellissa — May 19, 2010 @ 6:28 am

I am now dreaming about being on a beach with a pina colada in my hand, instead of in my tiny cube with no windows. Sigh.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 19, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Your writing really engages me! I love it!

Pina coladas are my favourite fruity drinks too :-)

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy — May 19, 2010 @ 6:36 am

That looks delish!!! Your blog definitely has my favorite foods. I think we have similar taste : P

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 19, 2010 @ 6:37 am

Wow, that looks delicious! I grew up thinking that strawberry daquaris were an everyday occurrence too. My family always drank them when they got together and played cards. I thought it was awesome when I got a little shot glass of it! I do have a money tree http://tree-species.blogspot.com/2009/03/money-tree-plant-pachira-glabra.html, but sadly no money grows on it. In fact, it is more like voodoo. When times are tough for us, the leaves fall off and when things are good, they grow back. I want to throw the thing away, but I am afraid to.

kay (eating machine) — May 19, 2010 @ 6:43 am

true story: my fiance won’t eat mango, coconut, OR greek yogurt.
    i think there’s something wrong with his taste buds.

Camille — May 19, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Holy cow. I know what I will be eating for breakfast for the rest of my life!

Maria — May 19, 2010 @ 6:59 am

What a fun summer parfait!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 19, 2010 @ 7:08 am

Do I get to do shots of rum afterwards?

ERin at The Healthy Apron — May 19, 2010 @ 7:22 am

haha I still think of week nights as “school nights” as well! Hard to get out of that mindset! This pina colada looks awesome though!

Stephanie — May 19, 2010 @ 7:28 am

wow that looks so so good, I love greek yogurt

katie — May 19, 2010 @ 7:35 am

JESS THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! oh my goodness..perfect summer treat!!!! can i come intern at your house and be a taste tester? hahah
    love you girl! you are awesome and so encouraging!

Kristen — May 19, 2010 @ 8:06 am

this looks scrumptious. i love mango!

Eunice — May 19, 2010 @ 8:13 am

What is it about those frozen fruity drinks? Whenever I’m having a bad day I fantasize about strawberry margaritas and the beach.

I know it seems like a tragedy, but I reallllly don’t like Greek yogurt. I know. Wish I did. I’ll just use ice cream instead. :)

Kara @ MyWellnest — May 19, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Looks amazing!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — May 19, 2010 @ 8:40 am

Ahhh…coming back to the blog world after a rough, coupla’ days and am so pleased to see this. Yes, it does look like pie and it made me smile. Pineapples and coconut? Yes, please. I also dream that someday I’ll have all the money to jet around the world on a yacht and enjoy such fruity cocktails as a daily indulgence!

Mackenzie @ The Caramel Cookie — May 19, 2010 @ 9:30 am

Yum! I wish I wasn’t allergic to pineapple, I love it!

Ashley — May 19, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Are you against me mixing in cinnamon to the yogurt? Cuz I think I might have to! This might be part of lunch and I may have to add strawberries.

Blond Duck — May 19, 2010 @ 9:45 am

I’d put some pie crust on it!

She-Fit — May 19, 2010 @ 9:47 am

YUM! I’ve just recently discovered Greek Yogurt and I’m obsessed. I’m definitely trying this one out soon

Jenna — May 19, 2010 @ 9:52 am

When I was a little girl I went on the longest yogurt parfait kick. I should go on a similar one this summer, I think! This looks divine, lady.

Anne — May 19, 2010 @ 10:30 am

That dish sounds so tropical! I could imagine having it while having a vacation under palm trees ;)

Kate @ Cozydelicious — May 19, 2010 @ 10:48 am

Yum, yum, yum! I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow. This looks wonderful! I love mango… I love coconit – so perfect!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — May 19, 2010 @ 11:19 am

it DOES Look like pie…soo next time you should make it into a pie!! with buttery graham crust and all! omg the possbilities with the fruit in there is endless it would be so good with lime zest and strawberries too!!! i wish had a money tree!!

Lindsay — May 19, 2010 @ 11:30 am

Looks AMAZING! Totally bookmarked this to try soon! :)

Jil — May 19, 2010 @ 11:32 am

Oh.My.God. This looks so good – and it does look like a pie!!

ingrid — May 19, 2010 @ 11:46 am

LOL, happy belly’s a good thing! I think not only would my belly be thrilled but so would those of my kiddos.

Thanks and I’ll include you and your money tree wishes when I’m wishing for mine! :)
    ~ingrid

Jessica — May 19, 2010 @ 11:53 am

Oh yum! Looks delish!

Eliana — May 19, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

This has sumer written all over it! I love it!

homecookedem — May 19, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

Perfect timing for this beautiful weather!! My mom would adore this.

Gena — May 19, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

This would be SICK with coconut yogurt!!!

kate — May 19, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Dessert for breakfast? Yes, please!

Erica — May 19, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

This looks like a real tropical treat. I love yogurt and fruit together and now coconut, that sounds awesome!
    I just realized that every time I get an email notification about a new post for your blog, it is actually an older post. So today I commented on something you posted awhile back….you may want to disregard that ha! Sorry!

Nicole, RD — May 19, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

It does look like delicious pie! And I love that you love coconut so much :)

Lara (Thinspired) — May 19, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

The toasted coconut is calling out to me! Do you toast it yourself, or buy it already toasted?

• Jessica — May 19th, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

Toast it myself – just in a little saucepan on the stove!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Mango Colada Parfait. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Mango Vanilla Bean Smoothie. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Mango Vanilla Bean Smoothie. | How Sweet It Is | Just Put Your Feet Up