Popcorn is one of those foods that I ‘really don’t like,’ until you find me in the movie theater going back to refill my extra-large bucket before the previews are over.

Once I start, I just can’t stop.

I found inspiration for this granola from the kettlecorn ProBar that I bought last week.

I had high hopes for this bar. I was expecting sweet, salty, and crunchy.

Instead, I got slightly dry and crumbly, with a ton of nuts and seeds. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t what I was expecting either – I had desired some light, crunchy carbs.

If I’m going to spend half of my life savings on a bar, I want it to be fabulous.

Of course, I had to make my own since I couldn’t get it out of my mind.

I can be a bit obsessive.

I air-popped some popcorn, but you can definitely use bag-popped as well. I crushed some pieces and left a few others whole. I wanted that big popcorn crunch.

I made a peanut butter glue to hold it all together.

Translation: I made a peanut butter glue and ate half of it before it ended up in the granola. The rest held it together.

It was exactly what I was looking for. A bit salty and sweet, with a light crunch.

Peanut Butter Popcorn Granola Bites

1 cup old fashioned oats

1 1/2 cups popcorn

1/4 cup wheat germ

1/2 cup chopped, dried figs

3/4 cup peanut butter

1/4 cup honey

1 tablespoon butter

1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine oats, popcorn, wheat germ and figs in a bowl. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, peanut butter, honey, and salt until smooth.

Pour peanut butter mixture over oat mixture and stir to moisten.

Line a baking dish with parchment paper and press granola into it. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating once.

Let cool for 2-3 hours before crumbling granola.

Can you imagine if I felt about veggies the way I feel about popcorn? I’d probably eat 3-4 peppers and a few cups or broccoli before I realized what I was doing.

Or not.

68 Responses to “Peanut Butter Popcorn Granola Bites.”

megan — May 6, 2010 @ 5:56 am

how in the world do you come up with this stuff? I love it! Your granola recipes are inspired :)

Jenna — May 6, 2010 @ 6:00 am

Lady, you just made my morning! And if the peanut buttery glue is anything like that of special k bar glue, I can relate to your consumption of half before mixing!

Paige (running around normal) — May 6, 2010 @ 6:03 am

POpcorn + granola = genius! (btw I think genius is the most used word in my comments in your posts LOL)
    Looks fab.

Maria — May 6, 2010 @ 6:41 am

Awesome recipe!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — May 6, 2010 @ 6:45 am

YOU ARE KILLING ME!!! haha…looks amazing!

Erica — May 6, 2010 @ 6:46 am

Wow! Awesomeness! I want to live in your kitchen! Of course I would probably be 30 pounds heavier but at least I would be fat and happy haha!

Blond Duck — May 6, 2010 @ 6:50 am

As soon as I get back, this is what I’m eating.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 6, 2010 @ 6:52 am

I love popcorn! I do the granola popcorn too! So sweet and tasty. Love your combination!!! I made caramel last night and my husband asked me if I made it with bacon fat. Um, no, but now I guess I need to give it a go!

Diana — May 6, 2010 @ 7:01 am

Oh my god. This is brilliant!

Erica — May 6, 2010 @ 7:05 am

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! This would be like the perfect car trip snack

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — May 6, 2010 @ 7:05 am

you need a cook book – or a cooking show! your writing is hilarious & it’s so clear that you have a personality that could really capture an audience… plus your recipes always look freakin’ amazing.

• Jessica — May 6th, 2010 @ 7:20 am

You have no idea how much that made my day. THANK YOU.

Caitlin — May 6, 2010 @ 7:05 am

Seriously, I would not even know how to combine ingredients to make granola. What the heck is wheat germ? I keep seeing it in all your recipes and just saying it makes me a little queasy. I think you should do a post on kitchen essentials 101 for people like me who clearly, limit our baking skills to a Tollhouse tube-o-dough.

Wei-Wei — May 6, 2010 @ 7:08 am

Oh, wow. WOW. How in heck do you come up with these awesome recipes?! This one’s GENIUS – I never would have thought of it, but it works perfectly.

You seriously need to write a cookbook. Like. Now.

Wei-Wei

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 6, 2010 @ 7:08 am

Can I just say that this is freakin’ brilliant?!? This one is going to make waves all over blogworld :-)

What a fun idea. :)

Jenny — May 6, 2010 @ 7:22 am

YUMMMMM! That is all:)

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries — May 6, 2010 @ 7:29 am

I about went crazy when I saw this recipe; it looks AMAZING! PB & honey might be one of the best combos ever :)

Susan — May 6, 2010 @ 7:33 am

I am the same way with popcorn. I always say I don’t care for it – but put it in front of me and I can demolish a bag :P I have a sneaking suspicion I could also demolish this recipe – bookmarked! You are slowly taking over my favourites tab :P

Jil — May 6, 2010 @ 7:37 am

This looks freaking amazing! I never *think* of making popcorn but when I do have it…obsessed. haha

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 6, 2010 @ 7:39 am

these sound really awesome…might actually get me to eat popcorn and really love it! ;)

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — May 6, 2010 @ 7:56 am

Um…peanut butter, popcorn and granola? Well they’re just about my most favorite things all mixed up in one fabulously delicious looking treat. Such a genius idea lady!

Biz — May 6, 2010 @ 8:04 am

Love the combo here! And I am the same way – we’ll go to the movies, my husband will get popcorn and I’ll just get a bottle of water because I don’t want popcorn – and then eat 3/4 of his! :D

You are so funny about not liking vegetables!!

Camille — May 6, 2010 @ 8:11 am

Yum! I’m not a fan of popcorn, but kettle corn makes me taste buds tingle :) And THAT is some good looking Kettle Corn!
    I made your Four Layer Cookie Bars yesterday and let me just say I feel like if I weren’t ten pounds heavier today, I think I would be closer to heaven.

Nicole, RD — May 6, 2010 @ 8:48 am

Those look so good! Salty and sweet, mmm mmmm!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 6, 2010 @ 9:04 am

Dear Jessica,
    Thank you for combining all of my favorite foods into one amazing super food. Much appreciated
    love,
    Madeline

Ashley — May 6, 2010 @ 9:39 am

Purely.Evil. Let’s try this with maple cin almond butter!!! mmmmm

Daisy — May 6, 2010 @ 9:43 am

I’m not the first and certainly not the last to say it, but the more i read your blog lately, you really should have your own cookbook!!! someone get this girl a book deal, stat!

Holly — May 6, 2010 @ 9:44 am

You are a GENIUS!! The best recipes EVER…
    I have NO idea how you think of these things, but they are always so PERFECT! Cannot wait to try this one :)

Erica @ Fashion meets Food — May 6, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Heyy! It was nice to meet you last night! That popcorn granola bites looks fabulous!

xo

Sarah — May 6, 2010 @ 10:17 am

YUM! What a great recipe/idea!

Jessica @ The Cooking Chick — May 6, 2010 @ 10:34 am

These look and sounds awesome! I tasty, yet somewhat healthy snack – can’t wait to try it!

That Kind Of Girl — May 6, 2010 @ 10:38 am

Dude, I feel about your blog the way you feel about popcorn. I have a temper tantrum if I can’t read it at work while eating lunch at my desk. Then I get mad at myself for having read through all the archives — it means I either have to read slowly or eat quickly to make the blog last through my meal.

Can’t wait for your cookbook. Once that becomes a reality, I can start eating lunch out of the office while maintaining my deadly addiction to your writing.

• Jessica — May 6th, 2010 @ 10:57 am

I seriously love you.

Kelly — May 6, 2010 @ 10:58 am

I love that you thought to cross popcorn & granola. Ingenius!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition — May 6, 2010 @ 11:03 am

Oh wow! Those look pretty awesome. Never though to put popcorn in bars

Rae — May 6, 2010 @ 11:21 am

That looks delicious! What kind of camera do you have? It takes fantastic pictures :)

• Jessica — May 6th, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

Thank you!

I have a Canon point and shoot that is about 4 years old. I’ll have to double check the make, but I’m pretty sure it’s not available anymore.

• Jessica — May 6th, 2010 @ 6:32 pm

Thank you!

I have a Canon S100 – it is just a point and shoot, and about 4 years old!

PippaPatchwork — May 6, 2010 @ 11:37 am

I feel the exact same way about popcorn so I probably shouldn’t even try making this- I can NOT stop eating until my tummy is beyond full. I also scraped out the inside of a peanut butter jar the other night, so this would be a seriously deadly combination.

Katie — May 6, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

Girrrrrrrrllllllllllll….this is sooooo up my alley! I’m making these!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — May 6, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

OMG – I’ve been away from the blogging world for a week and come back to find this recipe! How I love you!!!! P.S. I tried to find dried figs at a store a few weeks back and was given lip by the 16-year-old produce attentent with an attitude, who told me they’re seasonal. Where did you find them??

• Jessica — May 6th, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

Same thing used to happen to me, up until about a year ago. Now my local grocery store has them mostly all year round, which is scary since they are probably just OLD! But sometimes I find them at TJ’s, too??

I believe their season is late summer-fall, but I am not positive.

homecookedem — May 6, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

How creative!! This stuff would be dangerous for me to make, I know I would have no control around it!! Looks awesome!! :)

Fit Chick in the City — May 6, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

I need to come up with a bigger vocabulary so that my comments aren’t just “wow” and “amazing”. Until then… wow! amazing!

Midgetkeeper — May 6, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

I LOVE popcorn these could get me in some big trouble. yum, yum!

emily — May 6, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

Sweet Jesus, I NEED that! I might need to stop visiting this site until I make up my backlog of recipes :D

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — May 6, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

cooking show NOW! i want those…of course I could make them But I know they wont come out like yours ;)

Kate @ Cozydelicious — May 6, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

This looks SO good. Would it be totally sinful to throw in some chocolate chips? And still eat it for breakfast? Yum!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 6, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

How do you come up with such amazing creations!!!? I am baffled. Wow.

marla {family fresh cooking} — May 6, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

I bet these bars are great!! I much prefer the home made version to the Pro Bars any day. How many bars did you get outta this??

• Jessica — May 6th, 2010 @ 6:31 pm

I didn’t make bars, I just ended up crumbling it! So, I’m not sure – sorry!

Darci — May 6, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

I CANNOT wait to try these out!! MMM…they sound amazing!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — May 6, 2010 @ 5:11 pm

Can I live with you!?!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — May 6, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

Those look so good!! Love it! I’ll definitely have to make those for the next get-together that my friends and I have!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 6, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

I’m the same way with popcorn. I never crave it and think I don’t like it until I dominate the bowl when my hubby makes it, lol.

Those bites look amazing! Popcorn is a great low-cal filler for snack bars. YUM

Jenn