This is the perfect meal in our home.

We have chicken to please Mr. How Sweet.

And wine to enchant my tastebuds.

Marriage is all about balance and compromise.

About a year ago, Mr. How Sweet became a little obsessed with sangria.

Mind you, for years I had been telling him how delicious it was, but he was never interested in trying it then.

I believe he first tried it on a business trip when a bunch of manly men decided to drink fruity drinks. He then proceeded to go on a 4-month sangria binge, even making his own at home.

Now it has gone by the wayside – he quickly grew sick of it just like his other binges – diet Mountain Dew, plain egg whites, and cherry chapstick. Don’t ask.

I love sangria and would gladly bathe in it if I could. I decided to reel Mr. How Sweet back on the sangria bandwagon with this chicken.

Honestly, could it get much better for Mr. How Sweet? Not only does he become reunited with his beloved sangria, but he gets his daily overdose of protein.

I don’t know about you, but booze + protein = happy husband. Which keeps me sane.

And we all know, happy wife = happy life.

I think I am pretty good at math.

Sangria Chicken

from Gourmet

serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 cups dry red wine

3/4 cup sweet orange marmalade

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 cup seedless red grapes, halved

1 lime, cut into wedges

salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425.

Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Brown chicken on both sides and add to a baking dish. Roast until cooked through – about 15-20 minutes.

While chicken is cooking, simmer wine and marmalade until thickened and reduced to about a cup. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Add to baking dish with chicken, and roast for 10-15 minutes more.

Garnish with grapes and lime wedges.

This dish was so tasty. And I’m not just saying that because I finished off the bottle of cabernet before dinner.

I really love fruit with my chicken. I think warm fruit is delicious in savory dishes.

However, it’s only natural since I love sweets so much.

I also love bacon with my chocolate.

But that’s another story.

63 Responses to “Sangria Chicken.”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 18, 2010 @ 5:05 am

You had me at Sangria :)

Erica — May 18, 2010 @ 5:06 am

The presentation is beautiful! I love the halved grapes. I’ve never had sangria….I don’t like wine (I know…shocking) so I’m not sure I’d be a big fan??

• Jessica — May 18th, 2010 @ 5:35 am

My husband hates wine, too – sangria is usually a bit more of a ‘fruity’ drink. If you like sweet drinks, try a version with white wine!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — May 18, 2010 @ 5:07 am

Looks fabulous. I’d bathe in Sangria too :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace — May 18, 2010 @ 5:14 am

That looks incredible! What a perfect summery dish… I’m wondering if you could use white wine instead of red? We’re white wine drinkers :)

• Jessica — May 18th, 2010 @ 5:34 am

I always use white wine to cook seafood, but have never tried it with chicken. I am sure it would be great – I like white wine better, too.

Beth — May 18, 2010 @ 5:16 am

Wow. I am making this ASAP.

Whit — May 18, 2010 @ 5:31 am

delicious…I would bathe in sangria if it were proper.

megan — May 18, 2010 @ 5:40 am

What a fun dish! But I’m afraid my hubby wouldn’t get any wine with dinner because I’d have to use his portion of the bottle in the dinner. ;) And you guys can all bathe in your sangria, I’ll drink mine. LOL :)
    Seriously, looks delicious!

Mackenzie @ The Caramel Cookie — May 18, 2010 @ 5:51 am

mmmm love Sangria!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 18, 2010 @ 5:59 am

LOL…okay, I’m SO glad that Mr. How Sweet drinks sangria– my husband LOVES it, and I’m always like, Seriously? Sangria? I feel like he might as well drink a pom-tini!!! :-)

Wei-Wei — May 18, 2010 @ 6:10 am

Never tried Sangria.

Am underage.

Would love this meal.

diva — May 18, 2010 @ 6:12 am

Sorry, did I read that right? Sangria?! I LUUUUUV it. gosh, what a fab dish. and perfect for summer with its fruitiness x

MySensei — May 18, 2010 @ 6:13 am

Ummm..I’d tear this up! Love sangria…mmmm, wish I had a glass right now!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — May 18, 2010 @ 6:14 am

I love cooking with wine- sometimes I even put it in the food ;)

xo
    K

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — May 18, 2010 @ 6:14 am

Ha love the image of the husband and a bunch of male coworkers knocking back pitchers of sangria! It is so delicious though…this dish sounds perfect for a warm summer night!

Mellissa — May 18, 2010 @ 6:22 am

I think we are married to clones :) Considering my husbands penchant for Diet Mountain Dew, Chapstick, and the occasional fruity drink with his co-workers.

Nienke at Revel — May 18, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Oh yummy! I LOVE sangria and can’t wait for long afternoons on the patio with a pitcher of sangria this summer! I never would have thought of Sangria Chicken though – I’m putting it on my list :)

Kendra — May 18, 2010 @ 6:31 am

This recipe looks delicious! One of my favorite things to do is mix sangria with coconut rum! DELICIOUS!

Stephanie — May 18, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Yummmm I adore sangria! And I totally agree, working fruits into savory meals adds such unexpected flavor and I love it too!

PippaPatchwork — May 18, 2010 @ 6:56 am

Fruit and meat is hands down one of my favorite combos. This looks very good. When Kyle and I were in Spain, we drank an entire pitcher of Sangria every single lunch. Soooo good.

Jil — May 18, 2010 @ 7:01 am

Mmmm this looks delicious!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition — May 18, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Love adding fruit to things! Looks delicious : ) Can you be my personal cook pretty please?! I always LOVE your meals!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 18, 2010 @ 7:26 am

you are really great at math! :) i’m a big fan of fruit and chicken too…the natural sweet and savory flavors just go so well together!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — May 18, 2010 @ 7:43 am

done and done!! making this…tonight possibly?!?!! YUMMM looks SO good! the only marmelade I have it apricot…would this work do you think? I cant WAIT TO MAKE THIS!!!

• Jessica — May 18th, 2010 @ 7:46 am

Definitely! I have used apricot preserves in place of orange marmalade many times – it’s very good.

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — May 18, 2010 @ 7:47 am

That looks fabulous! Perfect for a dinner party!

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — May 18, 2010 @ 7:50 am

If you haven’t been to Spain you and your husband should go there for sangria. It is like no other!

Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — May 18, 2010 @ 8:32 am

Sounds delicious AND easy. I’m also a fan of white sangria and make a recipe with peaches that’s great with grilled chicken so thinking I might try white wine with peach preserves for a white sangria version. I’m so making this!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 18, 2010 @ 8:40 am

I’m am such a sangria fan and seeing as TJs had $1.79 bottles of wine last week, I think I’ve got the goods to make this…

• Jessica — May 18th, 2010 @ 8:42 am

Whaaat?! That alone makes me want to move out of Pennsylvania – they can’t sell alcohol in stores like TJ’s.

And since you bought it at TJ’s, that means it’s HEALTHY wine.

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — May 18, 2010 @ 10:03 am

This is going on my “must make” list. My hubs is addicted to Burt Bees chapstick. He’s worst than me!

Nicole, RD — May 18, 2010 @ 10:04 am

Yummm! That sounds wonderful! I think any dish with wine is money honey!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 18, 2010 @ 10:18 am

That looks so good! I never think about getting my chicken a little tipsy, but it makes so much sense, lol. So much flavor!

Jenn

Therese — May 18, 2010 @ 10:21 am

I have to try this! Do you think it’s appropriate to drink sangria alongside???

• Jessica — May 18th, 2010 @ 10:24 am

I think it’s required!

Anne — May 18, 2010 @ 10:47 am

I was very curious when I saw the title of this post in my iGoogle :D

The Candid RD — May 18, 2010 @ 11:09 am

Great recipe!! I love sangria too, but only with red wine. I tried it once with white wine and almost got sick, yuck. This reminds me a bit of the POM chicken I made once, but I bet this is better :)

Mr. How Sweet It Is — May 18, 2010 @ 11:14 am

“I think I am pretty good at math.” bahahahahahahahahahahaha

Really? Kind of like when you told my the soap at Bath & Body Works is, “like 5 for $10.” To only return home with 4 bottles for $20. I wasn’t shocked though, darling wifey. I have become atuned to your “fuzzy math.”

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — May 18, 2010 @ 11:45 am

OMG! We’re twins! I have the same little cupcake favicon in my browser, and I also downloaded that very same series of cupcakes that you have along the top…though I never ended up using it. This chicken looks great – great presentation – and I also adore sangria! xxSAS

Tracy — May 18, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

Yum yum! This looks delicious!

Blond Duck — May 18, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

I feel like a bad Texan b/c I have never had sangria. At least I can make this chicken!

homecookedem — May 18, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

What a beautiful dish!! :)

Katalina @ GreenLivingNY — May 18, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

Looks totally out of this world!!! I will recreate this for my fiance, I think a nice addition will be a little bit of dill on top( I am obsessed) and some juice caramelized grapefruit slices!!! thanks for sharing the recipe!

Jenn@slim-shoppin — May 18, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

I never would have thought of that combo, but it looks so good!

I almost never make sweet with meat, because my family doesn’t like that combo, so I may have to make this for my lunches!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 18, 2010 @ 4:14 pm

Sangria Chicken!! This can’t be for real!!!??

Haha, I LOVE red wine. I could bathe in it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 18, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

sangria yes, please. ill take extra!

youll have to lmk if you tried coffee again. my inbox has been BUSTING at the seams today, sorry its been all day b4 i even got here girl :)

Barbara Bakes — May 18, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

I think they should add in the marriage is all about balance and compromise part to the fairy tales. ;-) Your chicken sounds like you’ve achieve a perfect balance.

Sophie @ yumventures — May 18, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

Chicken goes so well with sweet things! What a great idea, perfect for a summer barbeque!

Maris (In Good Taste) — May 18, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

This is genius! Love it!

The Healthy Apron — May 18, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

Your recipes always look SO amazing! I agree, marriage is all about compromise, something my hubby and I learn more and more everyday!

Koek! — May 19, 2010 @ 1:56 am

What a GORGEOUS summer dish… Love the idea of grapes with the chicken.
    Robyn

Daisy — May 19, 2010 @ 11:51 am

i must make this! MR how sweet and his sangria binge is hilarious.

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo — May 20, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

I love sangria, so to incorporate it IN to dinner just seems delicious. This also seems like a great summer time meal. Can’t wait to try it!

Lindsay @ Confessions of a Human Vacuum — May 20, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

Wow, that chicken looks amazing! Cute presentation, too!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Sangria Chicken. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com