A few weeks ago, Christina told me about a delicious sweet and sour chicken recipe on Tasty Kitchen that everyone was raving about. Turns out the recipe is from My Kitchen Cafe, and Melanie has a plethora of incredible chicken recipes that I can’t wait to try.

Mr. How Sweet is always asking for homemade chinese food, and I always drop the ball. Mine just never tastes as good as take-out.

Trust me when I say that this is the best sweet and sour chicken I have ever had in my life. Better than take-out. Better than Trader Joe’s. Better than everything.

Mr. How Sweet agrees – a week doesn’t go by where he isn’t begging me to make it again. I don’t mind making it, because we use skinless, boneless chicken – it is healthier than any take-out we would get.

I also don’t like to hear Mr. How Sweet whine. It makes my ears bleed.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

from My Kitchen Cafe

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup cornstarch

salt & pepper

1/4 cup canola oil (I used olive oil)

Preheat oven to 325.

Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken in egg and then in cornstarch. Pan fry in oil until golden brown, but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish.

Sauce

3/4 cup sugar

4 tablespoons ketchup

1/2 cup vinegar (I used cider vinegar)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon garlic salt (I used garlic powder)

Mix all ingredients together and pour over chicken. Bake chicken for 6o minutes, turning every 15 minutes. You can also make extra sauce – add all ingredients to a saucepan and simmer until thick.

Mr. How Sweet loves this so much, that he wants a special compartment in his man purse just to store sweet and sour chicken.

I’ll get on that.

102 Responses to “Sweet and Sour Chicken.”

Lynn — July 5, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

OMG!! You were right! This recipe is incredible! I stir fried some vegies and cooked up some chinese noodles and voila! We had a perfect chinese meal. Can’t believe that it was home made! Keep those recipes coming!

Blmxa — February 6, 2013 @ 9:50 pm

This is incredible! I have food allergies, so it’s super difficult for me to eat at Chinese restaurants and this totally satisfied my two year craving for sweet and sour chicken! Awesome site, I can’t wait to try out some more recipes, Keep it up!

Whitney — March 24, 2013 @ 10:07 pm

YUM!!! I made this for dinner tonight – it was SO GOOD. My husband and I both agree that it is way better than any restaurant could offer!

Patricia — May 26, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

This recipe for Sweet & Sour Chicken is wonderful! I made it just for myself and I had to control myself not to eat the whole thing! Can’t wait ’til dinner tomorrow to finish it.

Shavonne — October 27, 2013 @ 1:36 pm

If I do not use eggs will it still work?

Danielle Landreault — November 6, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

I have to tell you how much me and my family loved this recipe!! I was a bit skeptical about the sweet and sour sauce but it was truly delicious. I used 5 chicken breasts and doubled the sauce and it turned our just perfect. This will be going into my saved recipes and I will definitely will make it again and again!!

Tanishia — November 15, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

Lovely recipe. I used olive oil and rice vinegar instead and it was perfection.

Vanna Choi — February 3, 2014 @ 9:47 pm

I looked at a repost of the same recipe and it isn’t clear if the egg or cornstarch comes first before frying. Please. Get back to me ASAP, thanks!

angelica — February 15, 2014 @ 8:20 pm

I usually don’t cook, but I made this today and it was easy and very good! :)

Rosie — June 9, 2014 @ 11:11 am

Just want to say thank you for this recipe, i have been trying to make a nice sweet and sour recipe for quiet some time and each time the end resulted in the meal been either to sweet or sour, I’m a culinary arts students and even recipes I got from lecturers did not meet the quality of this recipe, thank you so much!

Bella — June 28, 2014 @ 10:07 pm

Wow! This really, really was good and I never bother posting reviews for anything. I also used Boneless, Skinless Breasts, and for oil, Peanut. I changed up one thing in the sauce – I used Sugar In The Raw. I didn’t have to cook it the full hour, it was done quicker than that in my oven. I will definitely double the sauce next time, too, since we like ‘gravy’. Yum Yum.

Steven — July 4, 2014 @ 4:36 pm

Awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing, it was so easy to make and the best part is that it’s so much healthier than take-out food! Thank you! http://Www.everydaydadblog.wordpress.com

Jim — September 22, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

Although it might be obvious to anyone who is a cook, I am wondering where the Canola / Olive oil was added. To the dry mixture or to the wet? I added it to the wet. I’ll let you know how it turns out in a few minutes.

• Juelz — November 21st, 2014 @ 8:55 pm

The oil is added to the pan to cook the chicken

Rob — November 2, 2014 @ 11:52 am

This is a terrific and easy recipe. I also made extra sauce. The only thing I added was some chopped bell pepper. It only took about 35-40 minutes to bake and the chicken was tender. This will be a staple for sure.

friday+lynn — January 2, 2015 @ 6:18 am

I JUST WANT TO SAY , I JUST LOVE READING YOUR PAGES. ABOUT THE RECIPES YOU COOK IT’S LIKE YOU AND I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT SOME OF YOUR FOOD . I WANT TO SAY PLEASE GET OUT OF MY HEAD I FEEL WHAT YOU MEAN WHEN I AM COOKING YOUR FOOD FOR MY FAMILY. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Mon Ami — January 8, 2015 @ 12:24 am

Why the single layer? I did one on top of each & still turned out delish :)

Celeste — February 14, 2015 @ 3:45 am

Can I sub in flour instead of cornstarch?

• Jessica — February 14th, 2015 @ 4:21 am

most likely yes, it just may not be as crispy!

Nika — March 23, 2015 @ 1:40 pm

I want this sauce on everything. Had to make myself stop eating it.

The only thing I modified was that I doubled the ingredients for the sauce, but only used 3/4 cup of vinegar. I was afraid of using too much. It came out fantastic.

Really looking forward to using this recipe again. I might try baking the chicken instead next time as i’m not a fan of frying a lot of things.

Thank you for sharing.

rustu — March 23, 2015 @ 6:19 pm

I love this simple recipe but superb and tasty yummy.

Chikane — June 25, 2015 @ 10:24 pm

This was absolutely amazing! Wanted to surprise my hubby with Chinese food and went and made 6 lbs of chicken with homemade lo mein,it didn’t even last one night with my family! Super addictive thanks for an awesome dish!

Makayla Jackson — July 14, 2015 @ 5:20 pm

Do you think it would be okay if I use flour instead of cornstarch, I don’t have the time to go to the store.

Nafisa Thim — August 16, 2015 @ 11:43 am

Lovely recipes n ideas but sometimes ingredient names r confusing so plz give d alternative names

newbie — September 1, 2015 @ 9:21 am

Looks great!! Any suggestions(besides white rice) to go with this?