Warning! Warning!

The next few pictures do not necessarily reflect the beliefs or appetite of the writer.

Did you think I’ve been hijacked?

Well, I haven’t.

A few weeks ago, on Derby Day, we went to a fabulous dinner with Mr. How Sweet’s parents and some friends.

I must have had one too many mint julep’s, because I actually found the green beans to be appetizing.

I didn’t try any, because taking food away from Mr. How Sweet or one of his friend’s is like trying to wrangle raw meat from a hungry lion.

But I’ve been thinking of them ever since, so here they are.

Like all vegetables, after the first few bites I was ready to spit the rest out.

Trust me, it was delicious, but my mouth is anti-veggie and it just isn’t happening.

Instead, I proudly picked out all the shaved parmesan.

A surefire way to get those pesky veggie-haters in your life to eat vegetables is the perfect seasoning and a boatload of cheese.

And, no, I did not forget bacon – it just didn’t fit the Tuscan theme.

Tuscan Green Beans

Serves 3-4

4 cups fresh green beans

1/2 cup fresh chopped tomato

1/4 cup shaved parmesan

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon minced garlic

salt & pepper to taste

Prepare green beans as desired (I steamed mine). In a large bowl toss green beans and tomatoes with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Top with shaved parmesan.

Peace out, green beans.

I won’t be able to eat you again for approximately 6.82 years.

62 Responses to “Tuscan Green Beans.”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — May 20, 2010 @ 4:31 am

I love making fresh green beans, there’s such a difference between fresh and their frozen counterparts. I love the crunch they have when they are just cooked for a couple of minutes. yum! I bet this would be great with bread to dip in the leftover olive oil!

Marisa (Loser for Life) — May 20, 2010 @ 4:41 am

What??!! No brownies, no cakes, no crunchy chicken?!! I’m outta here… ;)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 20, 2010 @ 4:53 am

I love this! I’m always looking for ways to change up plain green beans :)

Wei-Wei — May 20, 2010 @ 4:55 am

Eat your cheese! Oh, and the greens, too. Wait, isn’t it supposed to be the other way round? :)

• Jessica — May 20th, 2010 @ 5:28 am

Yes. But I think I like your way better.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — May 20, 2010 @ 5:01 am

GET OUT! You? Eating vegetables???? Mark this day down in history!

Erica — May 20, 2010 @ 5:09 am

They look fantastic! I love fresh green beans :) You could always put pancetta in? Thats kind of Tuscan-ish?

• Jessica — May 20th, 2010 @ 5:28 am

I did think about pancetta…just didn’t have any at home. Next time. :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 20, 2010 @ 5:15 am

I am such a plane jane when it comes to green beans. These looks delicious. I am very proud of you for eating your veggies…now where are the sweets?

Jill@MySoCalledHealthLife — May 20, 2010 @ 5:27 am

haha I can’t believe you ate these!!! ;-)

I love green beans and haven’t had them in forever. Thanks for the veggie inspiration (didn’t think I would ever be saying that here!! ha)

klutzymama — May 20, 2010 @ 5:33 am

YUM! These look great, I’ll definitely be trying them. Oh and by the way, I started my run/walk that you suggested today and I loved it. My lungs did not explode at all! :) Thanks!

Shawnee — May 20, 2010 @ 5:36 am

I actually love green beans and I’ve been known to eat an entire bowl of them for a meal. I love mixin it up too and I think I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing!

megan — May 20, 2010 @ 5:37 am

these look so good! I love fresh green beans, but I”m so bad at preparing them…they’re always kind of boring. I’m definitely trying this – hopefully in the future with fresh green beans from the garden!

Emily @Cleanliness — May 20, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Simple and sophisticated. Love it!

Daisy — May 20, 2010 @ 6:12 am

I don’t know how you don’t like vegitables! but props for making them anyways. this dish is lovely

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — May 20, 2010 @ 6:28 am

This looks like such a delicious dish! I love fresh green beans. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 20, 2010 @ 6:32 am

I don’t know how you can’t like veggies!! These look really good though, and I happen to have a boatload (well not quite, but lots) of grated parmesan that I need to use up so this recipe should help! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 20, 2010 @ 6:35 am

Youuuuuu likeeeeee veggggggies, youuuuuuu likeeeee vegggggies (said in a sing-song playground voice).

Jil — May 20, 2010 @ 6:40 am

These look great – I have to say fresh green beans are probably one of my favorite veggies…just because they aren’t mush. haha

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 20, 2010 @ 6:56 am

Haaaaaaa! 6.82 years :-) I love it.

What about broccoli with cheese sauce … does the thought make you want to gag? It is good!!

• Jessica — May 20th, 2010 @ 6:56 am

That I can handle.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 20, 2010 @ 6:56 am

I don’t even know you any more!

Paula — May 20, 2010 @ 7:24 am

fantastic springly colours!

Anne — May 20, 2010 @ 7:26 am

Haha, I could not believe you had a veggie dish as your title today :D looks delicious!

She-Fit — May 20, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Would you judge me if I said I loved green beans?

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — May 20, 2010 @ 7:39 am

These look so springy and yummy. Have you ever tried roasting vegetables? It’s a whole no world and really the only semi-palatable way to do veggies in my opinion!

• Jessica — May 20th, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Yes! Roasted veggies are the only ones I can eat. Well, a few tastes of them at least. :)

Notes from the Fatty File — May 20, 2010 @ 7:45 am

Yum! I eat green beans all the time, but I have never made them like this. They sound like the perfect side dish for a summery dinner!

Ashley — May 20, 2010 @ 7:50 am

Crunchy green beans are the best!! This looks like a great summer veggie recipe..mmm thanks!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — May 20, 2010 @ 8:18 am

YUMM! Those green beans look AMAZING! They’re one of my favorite veggies :-D

Biz — May 20, 2010 @ 8:20 am

I almost thought I was at the wrong blog when I saw veggies!! They look delicious – and everything is better with cheese! :D

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — May 20, 2010 @ 8:22 am

I love it! I was looking for another version of making green beans, and I’m so excited to try this out!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 20, 2010 @ 8:22 am

hahaha i was SKURRED someone took over your blog :) these look really incredible though, and the photos are GORGEOUS!

marla {family fresh cooking} — May 20, 2010 @ 8:23 am

So glad to read that you ate some fine green beans. Cheese does make everything better, doesn’t it :)

Sophie @ yumventures — May 20, 2010 @ 8:24 am

LOL! This looks great…I’m glad you and green beans had a 5 second romance :)

Rose in Ohio (@RoseMillsOhio) — May 20, 2010 @ 8:28 am

Green Beans? There goes the neighborhood.

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries — May 20, 2010 @ 8:54 am

So.. where are the dessert pics? Kidding! Your green beans look so vibrant and colorful. Just somehow not as appetizing as a chunk of fudgy brownie…

Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread — May 20, 2010 @ 9:05 am

fabulous way to spruce up green beans!

Becca — May 20, 2010 @ 9:20 am

I just stumbled upon your site and love it. Those greenbeans looks amazing, but I’m more interested in those peanut butter granola crunchy things.

Eliana — May 20, 2010 @ 9:46 am

what a perfect side dish

Melinda — May 20, 2010 @ 9:56 am

Nice, and they are so bright and green too. It is easy to get anyone to eat veggies if they have cheese!

Katrina — May 20, 2010 @ 10:28 am

These are beautiful! I want some for dinner!

Blond Duck — May 20, 2010 @ 10:42 am

I think Ben would eat these (like you, unless bacon or cheese is involved, he doesn’t do veggies.)

Jenna — May 20, 2010 @ 10:48 am

I saw the title of your post and thought something had happened to our dear Sweet! Although, I think I could jive with these beans, especially topped w/ cheese. :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — May 20, 2010 @ 11:09 am

i absooutely LOVE green beans, raw, cooked any way I will eat them! for some reason I always think of them as a ‘winter’ veggie but I dont know why!??! I lvoe them all year round! you MUST try them on teh grill!!!!! they are amazing grilled with some salt pepper and olive oil!!

Samantha @ Foodedu — May 20, 2010 @ 11:30 am

I LOVE green beans. These look pretty dang good in my opinion!

kelly — May 20, 2010 @ 11:32 am

mmm green beans might be one of my fav veggies. and i love anything that involves tomato, cheese, olive oil, and yes, even garlic *gasp!*

Mary (A Merry Life) — May 20, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

Sweets! Where are the sweets?

Seriously though, they look amazing.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — May 20, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

I like to sautee green beans with a bit of butter and toss some toasted almonds on top.

Yum Yucky — May 20, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

Look at that plating! You should be on Food Network. (oh wait, I think I already told you that)

ERin at The Healthy Apron — May 20, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

haha your pictures are pretty but I have to disagree with your veggie hating! I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — May 20, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

I ADORE green beans. These look like good ones too! We’re so different. I’d pick carrots over cupcakes any day.

homecookedem — May 20, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

I cannot believe there’s no bacon in these beans!! :) Love you girl!! :)

Lisa @bakebikeblog — May 20, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

I think that looks really good! hehe but I LOVE Beans :)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Tuscan Green Beans. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: my accidentally vegetarian Thanksgiving « ramblings and other thoughts