The first time I discovered ‘grated’ apples, I was in heaven.

Nope, they don’t taste much different than whole apples, or apple slices. In fact, they don’t taste any different.

But since I am the queen of boredom, switching it up to apple shreds thrills me.

Up there you see a whole wheat bagel, topped with peanut butter, greek yogurt and caramelized grated apples.

To make the apple shreds, grate an apple (skin and all) and press out the moisture with a paper towel. Heat a skillet on medium heat. Season the apple shreds with a bit of salt and a boatload of cinnamon. Saute until caramelized and delicious.

You know what else apple shreds are delicious in (or on)? Pancakes. Waffles. Cookies.

Eat up!

19 Responses to “Afternoon Delight: Caramelized Cinnamon Apples.”

Evan Thomas — June 2, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

That is genious! They sound soooo good.

Jil — June 2, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

Ohh that’s such a good idea!!

april — June 2, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

Grated apples.. genius! My food processor grates things and makes life soo much easier!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — June 2, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

mmm I lovee apples on waffles or pancakes…or even in a dessert. I remember an apple crumble I think you made awhile ago that I made that I’m obsessed with!

homecookedem — June 2, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

I never would have thought to grate apples! Brilliant idea!! :)

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — June 2, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

What a great idea! This looks sooo good

Sophie @ yumventures — June 2, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Sounds amazing! Plus, shredded apples cook faster, which means less waiting for deliciousness :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — June 2, 2010 @ 6:17 pm

Yum, I love grated apples- especially with lots of cinnamon!

xo
    K

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 2, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

from the last post:
    I wish I could swim and shower in margaritas.

YES this is why we must live together or at least live closer! Girl. I could tell you some stories! Omg.

This post, shredding and grating and then carmelizing down apples…you are so smart. THIS is going to be made by me, once i unpack my pots n pans. YUM

Pure2raw twins — June 2, 2010 @ 8:04 pm

This looks yummy! I love anything with apples.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — June 2, 2010 @ 9:35 pm

That’s different! I bet it tastes and smells delicious!! I think the yogurt needs to be whipped cream, though. :P

Jenn

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) — June 2, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

Wow, this is freaking genius. I will definitely be trying this!!

Wei-Wei — June 2, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

Why are you such a genius? And why haven’t I thought of this before??? I love caramelised anything (caramelised onions, mmm) and these sounds amaaaaazingly delicious. I love apples, too. So. :D

Wei-Wei

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — June 3, 2010 @ 5:40 am

You’re totally a genious. I might just have to do this TONIGHT!

Amanda — June 3, 2010 @ 5:46 am

Yeah, I am pretty sure this should be your full time job. I think I would pay you millions if you would be my personal chef. Yes. You must do this always. NEver stop ok?

CaSaundra — June 3, 2010 @ 6:23 am

I’ve never thought of carmelizing an apple–I love how carmelized onions turn out, so I bet this would be a great switch up to something sweet! Good thinking!

Stephanie — June 3, 2010 @ 10:14 am

That sounds like a fabulous way to get some extra fruit intake! Would’ve never thought to grate them…or put them ontop of the bagel w/pb! Great idea!

Amy — June 4, 2010 @ 5:44 pm