I have always been an early riser. I don’t enjoy sleeping in – I want to be up as early as possible so I can start my day.

But when my alarm goes off at 4:30 am each morning, I want to throw it out the window.

At that time, I hate everything around me. Including working out.

Some mornings, I hit snooze until my finger goes numb. But I know that I just won’t feel complete without a workout first thing. It starts my day off right and makes me feel great. It sets the tone of the day for me.

Even a quick 20 minutes of moving around gets me up and going on those days I sleep in. I usually do a mini workout at home, since I don’t have time to get to the gym and back. It makes me feel positive about the day ahead and clears my mind.

Get-Your-Butt-Out-Of-Bed-Workout

1 min jumping jacks

30 seconds high knees

20 forward lunges

1 min simulated jump rope

20 squats

10 burpees

1 min jumping jacks

15 squat jumps

20 pushups

1 min high knees

30 second mountain climbers

90 second plank hold

REPEAT

21 Responses to “Fitness Kick Start: Start Your Morning Off Right.”

Maggie — June 28, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

I love this mini-workout!

A lot of these exercises are things my trainer & I would do for warmups. I’m definitely going to give this a try & see if it wakes my butt up.

alex — June 28, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

i will do said work out… i just need you to haul me out of bed first.

i think there needs to be a blogger phone chain or somthin’. homegirl needs her butt dragged out of bed.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) — June 28, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

Sometimes a mini-workout like this is just what the doctor ordered- straight ahead, old-school ass whipper. Love it.

Jenny — June 28, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

Wow! Waking up at 4:30 to do that workout is impressive!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 28, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

i totally agree about working out first thing in the morning!! my alarm goes off at 415 and I watn to throw it out too! but after a few hours and haing my workout done by 7am feels awesome!

Abby — June 28, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

You posted this for me, right? ;)

The Waspy Redhead — June 28, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

Burpees in the morning are the devil. I’m all for an AM workout… but for some reason burpees are not ok before noon for me.

adrienmelaine — June 28, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

Why are you up out of bed at 4:30am?!

That seems insane- I hate getting up any earlier then 6, but this month I’ve had to push it back to 5:45am..

What time does work start for you!?

• Jessica — June 29th, 2010 @ 6:16 am

I probably could start my day at 5:30, but I HATE being rushed. I like to ‘ease’ into my morning and take my time.

It roughly goes like this:
      5 – 615: workout
      630: shower/dry hair
      6:50 – blog
      720: get ready, prepare food for the day if I haven’t the night before, make and eat breakfast, clean up kitchen
      8: leave for work

I also had always trained clients starting at 5am, so I was up at 430 for the past 5 years. I’m used to it!

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — June 28, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

Ooh I’m totally bookmarking this for when I’m on the road this weekend!!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) — June 28, 2010 @ 8:28 pm

You know, I think you just inspired me to start working out in the morning. It really does set the day off on the right foot!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 28, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

4:30 in the morning!!!!!!!!!?? Wow!!! How do you do it!! I can barely crawl out of bed at 7:30. It is awful.

Wei-Wei — June 28, 2010 @ 8:52 pm

Whoa whoa whoa! Not sleeping in? Man! I think a morning wake-up workout is definitely a great idea. Bookmarked! :)

Wei-Wei

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — June 28, 2010 @ 9:57 pm

I love that this follows an amazing Chocolate & PB Cookie recipe.. my kinda girl! :) .. and jump roping in between leg work.. my fave!

MelissaNibbles — June 29, 2010 @ 5:56 am

I wake up at 4:30 too! I still exercise in the afternoon though.

Kacy — June 29, 2010 @ 7:22 am

That looks really hard. But not as hard as just THINKING about getting up at 4:30 in the morning. Ugh!

Becki @ HikeBikeEat — June 29, 2010 @ 8:11 am

I’m an early riser too, but 4:30am isn’t early, that’s still nighttime!

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — June 29, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

LOVE working out in the morning!! Even if I sleep in I’ll try to do at least 20 minutes!

Lauren — June 29, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

I am so with you on this! I am out of bed every morning by 4:15. Some mornings are harder than others, but I ALWAYS feel so much better after it’s done. Morning workouts are great but definitely require conditioning your body to get use to it.

AliSue — June 29, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

Thank you for this post. I am trying to train for a half marathon and am completely out of shape. I have to work out in the morning, but my work schedule changes almost everyday. I am 100% going to try this tomorrow morning, even though I will be getting up at 6 am I will be pushing myself because of you and your readers. Thank you everyone!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Fitness Kick Start: Start Your Morning Off Right. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com