Everyone loves a delicious smoothie.

Could I have posted a more boring recipe today while I’m lying on the beach?

Yes. Yes I could have.

It could have involved broccoli.

Instead I wanted you to feel like you are at the beach right besides me.

You know, minus the rum.

The verdict is still out on mangoes.

I can’t decide if I love them alone.

I always figured I would, since I love mango lip gloss and body lotion, but when I finally shelled out my entire paycheck for a mango, it just tasted a bit. . .off. Nothing like lip gloss or body lotion.

Anyone else know what I’m saying?

Good. Because I don’t.

Regardless, I love mango when it’s mixed with something.

Like scallops. Or coconut. Or eggs.
Or even. . .salad.

Who am I? The sun must be frying my brain.

Mango Vanilla Bean Smoothie

1/2 mango, chopped

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt

3/4 cup milk – I used vanilla almond milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

contents of 1/2 vanilla bean

Combine all ingredients in a blended and mix until smooth. Garnish with additional mango slices.

Are you a mango-lover?

What is your favorite way to eat it?

65 Responses to “Mango Vanilla Bean Smoothie.”

Erica — June 16, 2010 @ 4:31 am

mmmmmmmmm Tropical smoothie=awesome. I love mango! I like cut up plain! I actually hate cutting the mango though…..I need to get one of those sweet tools that does it for you.

Cassie — June 16, 2010 @ 4:32 am

I ADORE mangos. I chop them up, put them in a bowl in the fridge and proceed to pick at the pieces until it’s all gone. C:

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — June 16, 2010 @ 4:32 am

I can say in all honesty that I’ve never craved a mango. But I do like it in a protein shake from time to time and I have an amazing recipe for mango salsa that I can eat with a spoon!

p.s. Enjoy your day at the beach, sunshine!

April — June 16, 2010 @ 4:37 am

This looks fabulous!!!! I love mangos!!!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 16, 2010 @ 4:47 am

I am a mango lover! I like em straight up! I love mango sorbet too! Enjoy your relaxation!

Jill — June 16, 2010 @ 4:49 am

I do love mango, but you’re right, there’s something a wee bit off about them – not as flavorful and zesty as I anticipate. I think I haven’t had a really perfect one yet that makes all that weird slippery cutting worth the effort. Lately I have been getting around that problem by buying bags of frozen mango pieces. No hassle cutting, cheaper than buying one, frozen pieces can thicken your smoothies a little bit. I see it as a win-win.

• Meh Meh — May 13th, 2011 @ 9:01 am

The issue might be with the kind of mangoes that you get. My favorite are the ones that I get at my local indian store. You have to ask for the chaunsa. Those are apparently from India and Pakistan and they are freakin AWESOME! I like mine with ice cream or straight up :D

Gabriela — June 16, 2010 @ 4:52 am

This would be awesome with rum :) Just saying. I do like mangoes, but there are other fruits I’ll take before it. Cutting them is too much of a hassle for everyday eating!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — June 16, 2010 @ 5:19 am

i have a mango that’s on the verge of death…this would be a good use for it! And I haven’t purchased a real vanilla bean in ages – this would be a good excuse!

Thanks for always putting up such fabulous recipes girl!

Jenna — June 16, 2010 @ 5:29 am

I am definitely a mango lover. The best way I have ever eaten a mango was straight up, on a stick, with chili powder sprinkled on top. It was pool side in Mexico, so that may have had something to do with it, too. :)

Helen — June 16, 2010 @ 5:35 am

I don’t like mango to eat by itself, in fruit form, but in smoothies it’s delicious. It does taste off I agree when you eat it by itself. I know what you were trying to say!! Enjoy your time at the beach, so jealous right now!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love — June 16, 2010 @ 5:39 am

That looks really good! I love mangoes but I have never made anything with them. I love when restaurants add them to salads and I love mango gelato. I am too intimidated by them to make something on my own.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — June 16, 2010 @ 5:43 am

I only like mango mixed with something else…I can’t eat them just plain. They are way too slimy for me! Have fun at the beach!!! :)

Heather — June 16, 2010 @ 5:54 am

seriously, after this week, i need at least 4 of these with about 1/4 gallon of rum. in each one. please and thank you.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — June 16, 2010 @ 5:56 am

I need to get my hands on these vanilla beans. You’ve posted so many things that I want to make with them. I hope you’re enjoying the beach. Even more so, I hope the rum and daily trip to Dairy Queen weren’t lies. Because that sounds like pure Heaven!!!

Erin — June 16, 2010 @ 6:04 am

The huz is a mango lover, but I just never developed a taste for them. In anything.

Daisy — June 16, 2010 @ 6:15 am

I do love mango! But i hate peeling and cutting it…

Tracy — June 16, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Mmm, looks refreshing! I want to make one and imagine I’m on the beach. :-)

Mellissa — June 16, 2010 @ 6:15 am

I am a weird one who hates mango, I don’t even like the smell of it!

Katrina — June 16, 2010 @ 6:27 am

this smoothie looks delicious! Hope you’re having fun in the sun.

Priyanka — June 16, 2010 @ 6:31 am

I like mangoes don’t love them. In India from where I come from, Mangoes are touted as the “King” of all fruits. The ones that we get there are way sweeter and orangier than the one available in US.

Have fun on the beach.

Jenna — June 16, 2010 @ 6:37 am

I put mangoes on my chocolate soft serve. It tastes so refreshing. I love to eat them but HATE to cut them. I feel like they are one of the hardest fruits to cut.

Christina — June 16, 2010 @ 6:46 am

I absolutely LOVE mangos..but only the yellow (champagne) mangos. They are SO SO SO good. I eat them plain, or on top of yogurt with some toasted coconut flakes. That’s the best!

homecookedem — June 16, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Oh, yum, that sounds wonderfully refreshing! Love how you garnished it with a mango! :)

Kristina — June 16, 2010 @ 7:08 am

I LOVE mango… the other day I made sushi with mango. I’ve put mango in my breakfast smoothie. I add it to salad. I eat them like apples. The only thing I DO NOT like about mangoes is cutting them, GAAH. :)

DessertForTwo — June 16, 2010 @ 7:17 am

I just saw a recipe on A Cozy Kitchen that uses bacon drippings to make chocolate chip cookies. I instantly thought of you. You save your bacon grease, right?

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — June 16, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I don’t know if this was my absolute favorite way to eat them, but it was VERY good.

Plus, they are on sale now… I think only $.50 at Kroger (if I remember right).

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — June 16, 2010 @ 8:30 am

This looks great! I’m kind of like you…I like mangoes when they are in something, but I am not a fan of them on their own!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 16, 2010 @ 8:33 am

Mango and I are currently having a torrid love affair. I love it in salads (so so good with apple cider and olive oil dressing as disgusting as it sounds) and it makes every smoothie 20x more delicious.

Eliana — June 16, 2010 @ 8:39 am

I am a huge mango lover so this is my idea of the perfect beverage when I’m not eating mango in huge chunks cut right off the pitt! YUM

Kelly — June 16, 2010 @ 8:40 am

I love mango salsa on fish tacos and dried mango. I just saw your post about a fruit omelet on HEAB’s blog and have to ask…what fruit did you put in your omelet?!? You definitely sparked my curiosity with that one! :)

Laura T. — June 16, 2010 @ 8:46 am

Oh, this looks like summer perfection. I just made a mango lassi, but I love the idea of substituting the cardamom for vanilla bean.

Camille — June 16, 2010 @ 8:50 am

I looove mangoes, but they are definitely a love it or hate it kind of taste!

Paige (RAN) — June 16, 2010 @ 8:58 am

Just looking at the picture makes me want one. Now! The froth, the pineapple, yum!

Bergendi — June 16, 2010 @ 9:08 am

Slice one up, and squeeze on some fresh lime juice with a little bit of salt. So good!

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans — June 16, 2010 @ 9:25 am

I love mango! Mango on its own, mango salsa, mango in fruit salad, mango in a smoothie. Love mango!

Wei-Wei — June 16, 2010 @ 9:27 am

I. love. mangoes. Maybe you just had a bad one, but I assure you, where I come from (Taiwan, the KINGDOM of fruits) the mangoes are probably the sweetest, most delicious thing you will have ever tasted. Mmm.

And I agree. It actually could have been a lot worse and involved… vegetables. Shock horror for you, but I like veggies ;)

Wei-Wei

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — June 16, 2010 @ 10:06 am

I love mango! I’ll eat it plain or in a train. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Anne — June 16, 2010 @ 10:08 am

I’ve always thought mangoes taste like soap :D I never buy them but I do eat them if they’re available somewhere, usually in a smoothie or ice cream.

Blond Duck — June 16, 2010 @ 10:45 am

So jealous you’re at the beach.

When I was growing up, there was this shop that had the best PB smoothies. I adored them!

Jessica — June 16, 2010 @ 10:52 am

It LOOKS fantastic but when it comes to smoothies…I just take chocolate milk shakes! :)

I have not eaten a lot of mangos in my lifetime, but my favourite way so far is dried mango.

Mary — June 16, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

YUM! Love mango’s :) …in any shape, drink or food!

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

nellie — June 16, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

Ugh… guhh…. want this so much right now. Trader Joe’s has some bomb frozen mango halves now, which are so much better than the cubes.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — June 16, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

hehe I think you wrote MONGO lover :) that made me chuckle!!

I wish i was on the beach with you!! i want sun and beach and drinks like taht, I would throw some rum in there too :)
    yes! I LOVE mangoes esp in fruit parfaits and smootheis such as this

Nicole, RD — June 16, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

Loooove mangoes, but they’re kinda hard to eat! And the pit is a bit confusing, but the taste…Mmmmm!! I do feel like I’m at the beach with you… :) But I’m still jealous!

Jil — June 16, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Now – this sounds … amazing. Plus, it’s gorgeous.

Jenny — June 16, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

Yum! Though the addition of rum wouldn’t suck:)

Mary (A Merry Life) — June 16, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

I looooooove some mango.

I agree with Jenny, some rum wouldn’t hurt.

Aejin H — June 16, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

What is green yogurt?

• Jessica — June 16th, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

Sorry – GREEK yogurt! It was a typo, thanks for alerting me. :)

Katie — June 16, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

I love mango, but it does have a it of a savory thing, which was kind of off putting at first. I really love it with lime juice and chili powder. And I’m sure I would love it in the smoothie.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 16, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

I love mangoes, but my husband describes them very well when he says that they taste “green.” They kind of do :-)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Mango Vanilla Bean Smoothie. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Friday Fruit « Graduate Gourmande