I’ll spare you the usual ‘can-you-believe-I-posted-a-salad’ spiel because let’s face it – it’s getting old.

Don’t worry though, after I finished this plate I was thoroughly disgusted enough by the rabbit food that it will probably be a good 2 months before another salad appears. It sounded good in theory, then after the first bite I was over it.

Let’s talk about more delicious things: the salmon.

In my effort to make each bite of food that goes into my mouth taste sweet, I covered the salmon in maple syrup and seasonings.

Sweet and savory – my most favorite combo. Though it usually comes in the form of salt and vinegar potato chips with a side of Vosges chocolate.

But salmon works, too.

Now, let’s discuss the greens. In order to make them somewhat palatable, I doused them in warm dressing so they wilted.

The only other warm dressing I have ever had is a hot bacon dressing, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I am going to recreate that one day.

I just didn’t feel that it was the appropriate time to be elbow-deep in bacon grease. I want to savor every moment of that time when it comes.

And yes, just like your grandma, I have some bacon grease in my fridge.

Don’t hate.

The crispy, buttery salmon was delicious, but I have to say that the warm dressing tasted just as great, if not better.

If you haven’t heard, I am not a fan of salad dressing. Sure, I love to dip crusty, cheese-covered bread in dressing. I will gladly sop up any additional dressing with a baguette the size of my forearm.

But dressing on veggies? No thanks. It probably stems from my distaste of vegetables anyway, but regardless, it is difficult for me to find one that I enjoy.

Well, I loved this one, which means you need to go make it today.

Maple-Glazed Salmon

Serves 2-3

1 lb salmon filet

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon season salt

2 tablespoons brown sugar

Combine oil, syrup, garlic powder, salt and brown sugar in a baking dish. Add salmon, coat completely, and let marinate for 4-6 hours.

Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and preheat the broiler in the oven. Sear salmon on both sides in the skillet – about 2 minutes each. Transfer salmon to a baking sheet or broiling pan and broil for 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the salmon.

Serve over spring greens.

Warm Mustard Vinaigrette

1/4 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

2 teaspoons mustard (I used Trader Joe’s garlic aioli mustard)

1 tablespoon honey

1 garlic clove, mashed

salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and whisk until combined. Heat on low heat until warm. Cover greens in dressing.

You can definitely add more veggies to your salad, although I don’t roll that way. In all seriousness, I think bacon and croutons would be perfect with the warm greens. Maybe I’ll give that a whirl during my weekly bacon-binge.

66 Responses to “Maple-Glazed Salmon Salad with Warm Honey Vinaigrette.”

Erica — June 8, 2010 @ 4:26 am

I’ve never mixed balsamic and mustard for dressing. Going to have to try this soon. The fish looks perfectly cooked.

Marisa (Loser for Life) — June 8, 2010 @ 4:30 am

Beautiful and delicious! I love that TJ’s mustard!!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — June 8, 2010 @ 4:36 am

I love warm salads, I usually just put it in the microwave for a couple of seconds…is that wrong? I never thought to actually microwave just the dressing. That salmon looks like it just melts in your mouth!

Katrina — June 8, 2010 @ 4:55 am

This combination looks absolutely fantastic! My boyfriend would love it!!

Sophie @ yumventures — June 8, 2010 @ 4:57 am

I love warm salad dressings – especially when there is meat involved – particularly bacon! The salmon looks delicious.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — June 8, 2010 @ 5:00 am

i LOVe that you used the TJs aoili mustard because I love that so so much! they were OUT of it yesterday when i went! oh the horror!! that salmon looks amazingly perfect! the marinating for 4-6 hours is the part that I never do, but I think for this recipe it needs to be done

I totally agree with you about Jessica Simpson I love her too :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — June 8, 2010 @ 5:01 am

I am wild about salmon! It never tastes as good when I make it so I always order it when I’m out BUT now that I have this recipe, it changes everything!

Daisy — June 8, 2010 @ 5:11 am

oh i love salmon. and everything else you topped it with. it’s 8:11 am and I have a salmon craving!!! not normal!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — June 8, 2010 @ 5:16 am

Darling wifey,

I’m sorry but I’m pretty sure you stated “I have some bacon grease in my fridge.” I have one question.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Why? Why are WE keeping bacon grease in OUR fridge?

Actually that is two questions. Though they are related. You could understand why I’m questioning this, right? For the many, many years that I lived on my own, I never required a container of bacon grease. Ever. So I’m sort of wondering why we need it now.

• Achy Breaky — June 8th, 2010 @ 8:42 am

Everybody who is everybody from the sticks knows that a container of bacon grease is kept in the icebox to make dippy eggs. You take the bacon grease and melt it a pan and proceed to cook your dippy eggs in it. You stated you have mastered the art of dippy egg making, but judging by your recent bacon grease questions, it is quite obvious that you haven’t. Maybe you mastered something else that begins with the word “master” in it. Just sayin’

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — June 8, 2010 @ 5:21 am

Mmm, I love maple glazed salmon. And it really is a good way to stomach raw veggies :D

xo
    K

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 8, 2010 @ 5:27 am

Perfect combination! Salmon with greens is always a winner. Speaking of bacon fat in the fridge…have you ever popped your popcorn with it. I ration my guys with it since it is bacon grease, but go absolutely gaga over it.

• Jessica — June 8th, 2010 @ 5:29 am

No, but that sounds incredible.

homecookedem — June 8, 2010 @ 5:59 am

I love salmon and your maple glaze sounds wonderful!!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — June 8, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Maple Glazed salmon is my favorite way to eat salmon! Totally agree on having the sweet + savory combo! :)

ashley — June 8, 2010 @ 6:32 am

looks delicious! and i have bacon grease too in the fridge… just like my grandmother! :-)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — June 8, 2010 @ 6:39 am

That sounds and looks amazing. We have salmon about once a week and I always looking for new ways to prepare it! Awesome!

Taylor — June 8, 2010 @ 6:47 am

That last picture of the salmon is making my mouth water! Yum yum yum!!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 8, 2010 @ 6:50 am

I never buy salmon enough. I need to remedy this situation.

Camille — June 8, 2010 @ 7:01 am

I have always wanted to try maple glazed salmon, but never knew where to start! Thanks!

Jessica — June 8, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Well thank heavens someone else forces themselves to eat veggies as well. I like your idea of wilting them to make them more palatable. :)

Thanks for the recipe!

Jennifurla — June 8, 2010 @ 7:25 am

That salmon looks so delicious

VeggieGirl — June 8, 2010 @ 7:33 am

I too love Vosges chocolate!! And that salmon sounds wonderful.

One Healthy Apple — June 8, 2010 @ 7:35 am

I love salmon and veggies (except the last week- I hate veggies now for some reason) so I bet this would be fabulous. I loved your mojito comment. I think they are appropriate breakfast foods/drinks. Mint and sugar and rum are like 3 of my food groups!

Jordan — June 8, 2010 @ 7:35 am

I join you and the rest of the grammas with the stored bacon fat in the fridge. Can we get shirts made that say that? It is one of the best things ever. Seriously, almost-completely baked potatoes(sweets too), cut up and cooked in some bacon fat with onions. Best home fries of your life! That dressing sounds fantastic too, so I’m all over that!

Kristina — June 8, 2010 @ 7:37 am

Warm salads are incredible, as is sweet salmon! we grill ours on a cedar plank, with dijon mustard and brown sugar… it gets kinda crispy, kinda glazy, all sortsa yummy.

I am seriously craving a Papa Haydn’s warm spinach salad now. They add candied pecans to the top – YUM !

Heather — June 8, 2010 @ 7:47 am

ok. first off. you win.
    you have finally succeed at posting a recipe in which I am not upset with you as I read it.
    why?
    because i can’t eat salmon.
    I know – THE HORROR.

I am allergic to salmon.
    and not the kind of allergic like “i am allergic to raw onions” because they gross me out and therefore i have to tell wait staff I am allergic in order that I don’t get even get a smidgeon of onion on my plate.

I mean allergic, allergic.

It makes me kind of sad, really.
    because so many people just LOOOOOOOOOVE salmon. and I…well, I…have never had it.

I know what you are thinking..”if you’ve never even HAD salmon, how do you know you are allergic?”

well, my dear, I am glad you asked.

When I was in the first grade, I was in Mrs. Heffelfingers class.
    I have no idea if that is how you spell Heffelfinger, but that’s what my first grade pronunciation of the name was, and therefore, that is how it will be spelled for the remainder of my life.

Anyway…
    the first graders at Kolmar Elementary study the circus each year.
    Or, at least they did so in the late 80s.
    Not only do they study they circus, but they visit the circus, and put on their own circus for their parents, teachers, and other classes in the school.
    It’s kind of a big deal. At least for a first grader.
    All the first grade classes get together a few times a week, for several weeks, to practice their parts and finally, do a big run through the day before the circus.

I don’t really remember what I was in the circus.
    but i do remember i was NOT an acrobat, much to my dismay.
    I may have been a lion. That sounds probable.
    I also remember that Jason Milon, the stud muffin that he was, was the RING MASTER. All the girls were crazy for Jason Ringmaster Milon, and he knew it. He stood in the center of that ring so proud and handsome.

I don’t remember much about the performance.
    and I don’t remember ANY of the visit to the circus.
    Want to know why? (of course you do!)
    I had to miss the trip to the circus!
    Because I had an ear infection.

As a matter of fact I had chronic ear infections all throughout first grade.
    So many, so severely, so often in fact, that I almost didn’t qualify to move up the second grade based on attendance alone.

The doctors couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me and why I was getting ear infections so often. So they decided the next step was allergy tests.

I don’t like the idea of being pricked with bunches of little needles NOW, and i CERTAINLY did not like it back when I was 6 years old. Especially because I had to go to the have these tests SEVERAL weeks in a row. My back was not large enough to hold the entire grid of pricks, so they did a series of tests, testing a handful of allergies at a time each week.

I was pretty ridiculous on that table.
    we had to bring a pillow from home for me to cry/scream into.
    my mother had to hold me down.
    and then i would get pricked.
    i think the only thing that made me get up on the table in the first place was the promise of a reward at the end. im not talking a sticker or a lollipop, either – I was in it for the big stuff – my little pony playhouse, Debbie Gibson tape, and sparkly streamers for my bicycle – you know – go big or go home. (or just dont get on the table.)

my Mother also brought the nurses gifts each week. Chocolate. Cookies. Gift certificates for lunch. Because, apparently, I was THAT BAD.

at the end of the tests, we learned I was only allergic to ONE THING. All those tests to tell me I was allergic to ONE THING. Salmon. One thing I’d never even been exposed to, and therefore was CLEARLY not causing the ear infections. All those pricks. And just one stupid never even had before fish.

Everyone always says that you grow in and out of allergies, and that I might not be allergic to salmon anymore.

I’ve thought a lot about this. Is salmon worth it? Is it worth tasting to see if I stop breathing and have to go to the hospital via ambulance like that one time i got bit by a poisonous spider on my pinky toe? (that’s a story for another day) Or is it worth it to go get pricked by a nurse again, to see if my allergy has passed?

probably not.

But…. Maybe.

• Abby — June 8th, 2010 @ 8:41 am

Heather.. you crack me up! Oh my word.

I was just scrolling though to get to the comment form and BAM! Freakin’ Atlas Shrugged in the middle of the comment section.

Now I don’t even remember what I was going write.

But I don’t like Salmon either.

• Heather — June 8th, 2010 @ 9:31 am

:) you know this – atlas sure did shrug in the midst of my comment.

• Abby — June 8th, 2010 @ 9:54 am

Poor Atlas has to carry all of your words on his shoulders. That’s more weight than the Great Wall of China!!!! ;)

Heather — June 8, 2010 @ 7:49 am

oh. yeah.

but that warm dressing sounds delicious.

• liane — June 8th, 2010 @ 9:44 am

Wait, was that supposed to be your actual, original comment? Or just an amendment to the thesis posted above?

Now, even I forget what the heck I was going to write…

Probably something along the lines of my moratorium on reading Jess’ blog has been suspended for a day because salmon is something I CAN make, as opposed to that brownie pizza she posted yesterday and I almost lost my marbles clawing at my laptop to eat it directly off the screen.

• Heather — June 8th, 2010 @ 9:49 am

oh girlfriend! dont even get me started on that brownie pizza.

my screen has drool slobber on it. and a bite mark.

im just saying.

(also – note: computer screen does not taste like brownie pizza. i would assume, anyway. and if that IS what brownie pizza tastes like – then you may want to think again about giving it a try. just looking out for you.)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 8, 2010 @ 7:51 am

warm vinaigrette is where it’s at…’specially the hot bacon kind!

Mary — June 8, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Another wonderful post! This looks FAB!

Mary — June 8, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Another wonderful post! This looks FAB!

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

Nicole, RD — June 8, 2010 @ 8:03 am

That warm mustard vinegarette looks amazing! And the salmon, too. But salmon always looks amazing :)

Ashley — June 8, 2010 @ 8:33 am

So, I don’t like cooked salmon but I like it raw in sushi!! I have only had it cooked about once or twice but the flavor was too intense for me…and the 2nd time I had it, I got food poisoning :) Awesome, no? The wilted salad sounds amaaazing as does the recipe!!

Megan (Best of Fates) — June 8, 2010 @ 8:50 am

As good as that salad sounds, I was too distracted thinking of bacon dressing to fully appreciate it!

Crystal — June 8, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Maple-glazed salmon, yum!

Wei-Wei — June 8, 2010 @ 9:27 am

Mmm, I love salmon! Warm salads are great. Especially when they involved salmon… :)

Wei-Wei

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 8, 2010 @ 9:41 am

replacement moving crew was supposed to be here 45 mins ago. waiting. taking a break. girl i have been up for 5 hrs nonstop and its only 945am here :)

salmon and maple are perfect together. as a vegan i actually make phenomenal salmon. that’s coming from the jewish hubs and food critic parents.

dressing. my mom makes a warm bacon one. i hate warm dressing though. Raw, cold, crisp, veggies and dressing.

Beach, 5 miles. YES. You need to come! Ok last note for awhile…i hope. that means i am outta here!

Erin at The Healthy Apron — June 8, 2010 @ 10:47 am

I have had a salmon craving for the past week!!

m — June 8, 2010 @ 11:38 am

do you have an email adresse i can send a email to?

• Jessica — June 8th, 2010 @ 11:41 am

Yep, you can use the contact form at the top of the page!

Kristen Doyle — June 8, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

The salmon looks wonderful. And I love your dressing recipe. Perfect for summer!

m — June 8, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

and its private only you can see it no public view to the blog?

Blond Duck — June 8, 2010 @ 3:13 pm

I love salmon!

Biz — June 8, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

I wish I liked salmon (or fish for that matter!) because it always looks so good!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 8, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

That salmon looks perfectly cooked. I have never put salmon on a salad, but I have seen it a lot in the past little while, so it must be good!

megan — June 8, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

I’m not big on salads but this is my kind of salad. And the maple syrup to feed the sweet tooth. Love it!

april — June 8, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

You were right!! It must have been Salmon Monday! :D

Pure2raw twins — June 8, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

Salmon salads used to be one of my favorites!!! Yours looks amazing!

Helen — June 9, 2010 @ 2:35 am

I need to get some salmon now! This looks really nice. Salmon goes really well with sweet flavours. And warm dressing sounds great too.

Amanda — June 9, 2010 @ 5:33 am

Jessica!!! Fantastic job!! This is really beautiful (awesome shot!) and I cant wait to try it! I am sorta stuck in a rut when it comes to preparing salmon… perfectly times my dear!!

Be blessed!
    Amanda

Anne — June 9, 2010 @ 9:45 am

Beautiful salad and impressive amount of veggies ;)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] — June 9, 2010 @ 9:07 pm

I loveee salmon. I think I will loveee this recipe.

TheHealthyApron — September 20, 2010 @ 10:51 am

Defnitely on the menu fo this week!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Maple-Glazed Salmon Salad with Warm Honey Vinaigrette. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Here’s some of my favorite online recipes! | Courtney's Cooking