I was so excited to make this dish for Mr. How Sweet.

I had it in my head for days.

I couldn’t wait to tell him about it. I mean, pepperoni and chicken? Whole wheat crust? This meal basically describes everything he lives for.

I was even more excited after learning that Mr. How Sweet loved chicken pot pies.

Don’t ask me how I did not know this, but I didn’t.

Kind of like how I didn’t know he snored louder than a jet engine and would rather sit in the stands at a Nascar race than lay on a hot, sandy beach with a margarita in hand.

Learn these things before you get married, people.

So, I made assumptions.

Mr. How Sweet loves pot pies. And he loves pizza.

So pizza + pot pie = happy belly. Correct?

See, I’ve never been the best at math.

As expected, my skills failed me here.

When I told Mr. How Sweet that I was going to make pizza pot pies, he practically doubled over in disgust. He pouted. He whined. He dry heaved.

It just wasn’t a good situation.

But then I made them.

And they looked delicious. And smelled even better.

It was as if Yankee Candle had created a Pepperoni Pizza scent just for us.

The cheese was bubbly and the crust was crispy.

And it was one of those situations where you don’t care about scalding every taste bud on your tongue or burning the skin throughout your mouth. The most important thing at that moment was eating it. Immediately.

I like to pretend that the whole wheat crust cancels out the exorbitant amount of cheese that I used.

It does.

When I get around cheese, I just lose all control.

Any discipline I have flies right out the window. I just keep adding cheese. And adding, and adding, and adding. . .

Really, can you ever have too much cheese?

Pizza Pot Pies

inspired by Giada

Serves 4

8 ounces chicken breast, cooked

2 ounces pepperoni, chopped

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1 cup parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons italian seasoning

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

1/2 cup chopped sweet onion

2 cups tomato sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil

whole wheat pizza dough

Preheat oven to 375. Set out 4 small ramekins.

Divide chicken, cheeses, peppers, onions, pepperoni, and  italian seasoning evenly into the 4 ramekins. Add equal amounts of tomato sauce to each bowl.

Cover with a very thin round of whole wheat pizza dough. Brush dough with olive oil. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.

Whole Wheat Crust Topping

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 – 1/2 cup lukewarm water

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 tablespoon honey

Combine flour, sea salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, honey and olive oil, and stir until a dough comes together. Continue to form dough into a ball with your hands. Add more water 1 tablespoon at a time as necessary.

Place in lightly oiled bowl and cover. Let rise for 2-3 hours.

When ready, roll dough out very thin.

See, I am always right.

I promised Mr. How Sweet these would be delicious, and they are.

He needs to stop doubting me. Like when I tell him that buying a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes is a wise investment, he should listen. I clearly know what I’m talking about.

93 Responses to “Pizza Pot Pies with Whole Wheat Crust.”

Erica — June 23, 2010 @ 4:00 am

Looks awesome! I made this before and we both LOVED it! Its so fun to have an individual portion. Made me want to make everything in Ramekins!!

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales — June 23, 2010 @ 4:03 am

Just came across your blog… love it and this recipe! What guy wouldn’t love this!

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2010 @ 4:33 am

Thanks!

Blond Duck — June 23, 2010 @ 4:03 am

I think it’s a brilliant idea! Why did I not think of this!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 23, 2010 @ 4:14 am

This is such a great idea!!! I’m a huge fan of pot pies of ANY kind. :-)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — June 23, 2010 @ 4:16 am

This looks incredible!! It’s like an upside down pizza :)

Mr. How Sweet It Is — June 23, 2010 @ 4:37 am

1. If you would have told me from the start that these were Giada-inspired, I would have been all over them. Because Giada is…..well, perfect. I heart Giada.

2. It appears that we need to have another discussion as to what an “investment” truly is.

Are you aware that an “investment” is defined as “commitment of money or capital to purchase financial instruments or other assets in order to gain profitable returns in form of interest, income, or appreciation of the value of the instrument?”

What part of buying shoes indicates to me that there is profit to be returned from said purchase?

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2010 @ 4:52 am

My happiness is your profit!

• Cindy Coniglio — June 23rd, 2010 @ 7:41 am

I love you guys!

• Mr. How Sweet It Is — June 23rd, 2010 @ 11:55 am

from the person that thinks a louis vuitton purse is an investment.

• Cindy Coniglio — June 23rd, 2010 @ 11:59 am

It sure is an investment and that is why its sitting right here with me. My husband is a wise business man!

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches — June 23, 2010 @ 4:41 am

Agreed. You can NEVER have enough cheese. Life lesson #1.

Julie @SavvyEats — June 23, 2010 @ 4:42 am

Love this idea! So creative. :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 23, 2010 @ 4:57 am

Men and there doubts…they need to trust us more often! Great spin on a classic!

Jenna — June 23, 2010 @ 5:21 am

Why this may seem like a tried and true man recipe, I personally think this is a great lady recipe, too. I mean, COME ON, who wouldn’t love this creation? I can’t help but ‘ohhh’ and ‘ahhh’, I want some pizza pot pie right about now!

Sophie @ yumventures — June 23, 2010 @ 5:26 am

This sounds amazing! What a great idea! I would love to make a buffalo chicken pot pie…with blue cheese…hmmmm =)

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2010 @ 5:28 am

That sounds incredible.

A Teenage Gourmet — June 23, 2010 @ 5:30 am

This is a GOOD idea. :)

Fit Chick in the City — June 23, 2010 @ 5:41 am

Um…. YUM!! This looks so amazingingly good. What a great idea.

Mellissa — June 23, 2010 @ 5:48 am

I have made these before and we used roasted red peppers, goat cheese and olives. They were delish :)

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2010 @ 5:51 am

That sounds amazing. Too bad goat cheese makes my husband cry.

Another one my husband would go crazy for, yum.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — June 23, 2010 @ 5:55 am

This looks awesome – a great alternative on the traditional!

brandi — June 23, 2010 @ 5:55 am

What a great idea! I’m going to have to try this.

Issa — June 23, 2010 @ 6:07 am

oh my… you just made me drool with all that cheese!!! I have to try this at home. :) Thank you for the recipe!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — June 23, 2010 @ 6:11 am

I agree…you definitely know what you are talking about!!

CaSaundra — June 23, 2010 @ 6:14 am

I can never get enough of your humor-laced posts–they are so funny, and of course a great recipe like this is a bonus! :-)

Becky Sue — June 23, 2010 @ 6:16 am

Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, ! I will make this! Thanks for your post! What a fun idea!
    Happy Baking,
    Becky Sue

Eliana — June 23, 2010 @ 6:18 am

That cheese photo is the money shot! Simply irresistable.

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks — June 23, 2010 @ 6:28 am

Oh, dear awesome. You had me at pizza. I love anything pizza. Then I saw the cheese picture and it was all over. I have a frozen ball of oregano whole wheat pizza dough from two nights ago that will be coming out ASAP for this.

Nicole, RD — June 23, 2010 @ 6:44 am

I love it! And a perfect excuse to use my new ramekins :)

Tracy — June 23, 2010 @ 6:44 am

You had me at pizza. ;-) These look great, I definitely want to give them a try!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 23, 2010 @ 6:49 am

Giada plus Mrs. How Sweet can certainly do no wrong

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — June 23, 2010 @ 6:49 am

My hubby would go NUTS for these – I may have to put them on the list!

homecookedem — June 23, 2010 @ 6:52 am

I want to make these ASAP!! They look soooooooo amazing!! :)

Abby — June 23, 2010 @ 6:58 am

I’m going to hire you to be my personal chef. And trainer. How’s that sound?!!!

Brooke (Baking with Basil) — June 23, 2010 @ 7:06 am

What man woudln’t love that combo!! I’m with you on the cheese too….you can never have too much. I usually end up with more in my mouth from the pile than what actually makes it in the dish. :) ps….your reply to Mr. How Sweet It Is was so perfect and so true!!!

Morgan — June 23, 2010 @ 7:11 am

Thank you for helping me figure out what I’m making for dinner tonight! I’m going to make veggie pizza pot pies, and I can’t wait!! My hubby wanted pizza tonight which I just don’t feel like making, this rocks!

Wei-Wei — June 23, 2010 @ 7:21 am

These look so amazing. Yet another dish from you that is ENDLESSLY adaptable! Thanks! Yummmm :D

Wei-Wei

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 23, 2010 @ 7:31 am

haha, i was slightly skeptical…and then I saw the cheese firsthand and now i’m in LOVE!

will you marry me? what’s that? we’re both already married? oops… ;)

Marisa (Loser for Life) — June 23, 2010 @ 7:51 am

My husband would like to marry you. Or at least come over when you make these again ;)

Awesome!

Sara — June 23, 2010 @ 7:56 am

What a fabulous idea! My hubby lots pot pies. I can’t wait to make these.

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — June 23, 2010 @ 8:10 am

Oh my goodness. I am making these. SOON!! They look awesome and will be a huge hit at my house!!

Gabriela — June 23, 2010 @ 8:10 am

I’m pretty sure my brother would have had the exact same reaction to the pizza pot pie…he and Mr. How Sweet share a brain, from what I can gather. Have I ever mentioned how much I love your writing style? You can tell your hubs I agree on the Louboutins being an investment :)

Kacy — June 23, 2010 @ 8:11 am

The more cheese the better! Always.

Why would he ever have been disgusted? Sounds delicious!

Melissa — June 23, 2010 @ 8:12 am

So cute! Sort of like a baby calzone. I might have to make these for my guy. He’ll eat anything so I think it will be a recipe success in the Cupcakes house. ;)

Kristina — June 23, 2010 @ 8:15 am

oh wow, this sounds amazing, as does the buffalo + bleu, as do the Louboutins.. :)

they are going on my list. the shoes, I wish! :)

Camille — June 23, 2010 @ 8:52 am

Holy cow! That cheese means business!

debs@pamplemousse21 — June 23, 2010 @ 8:54 am

Seriously delicious! I’ve been thinking of something to make the bf before he leaves for business and this looks JUST PERFECT – i love pizza, he loves pie – we love pizza pot pie :)

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — June 23, 2010 @ 9:02 am

MMMMH! I bet my boyfriend would LOVE that dish too :)

Rachel — June 23, 2010 @ 9:10 am

I. Must. Make. This!

One Healthy Apple — June 23, 2010 @ 9:14 am

These look nothing but amazing. Next time tell your hubby you are making eggwhites and turkey and he will never know :)

Hope you are well- I haven’t checked in for a while but glad to see some wonderful decadence!

Melanie — June 23, 2010 @ 9:15 am

I lose self control around cheese, too, and these pot pies would be no exception. Love the concept – a unique and tasty dish!

Ashley — June 23, 2010 @ 9:16 am

I don’t know how Mr. How Sweet could have ever thought this would be a bad idea…Chris will LOVE this!

Rachel — June 23, 2010 @ 9:27 am

My hubby is going to love this!! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for posting :)

Mackenzie @ The Caramel Cookie — June 23, 2010 @ 9:28 am

My husband would love these! Especially since they are Giada inspired, which he refers to as “the cooking lady with lots of cleavage.”

liane — June 23, 2010 @ 10:10 am

Honestly, everything I was thinking about how much i love pot pies kind of flew out the window when I read “Like when I tell him that buying a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes is a wise investment, he should listen. I clearly know what I’m talking about.

Wait, you own a pair of Louboutins?! I want to see pictures!!!

Louboutins > food

and obviously, he should listen to you!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Pizza Pot Pies with Whole Wheat Crust. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Italian Spin on a Comfort Classic! | CookinFanatic