Over the past few months I have come to determine that I don’t enjoy foods at extreme temperatures.

Warm drinks like coffee, or dirty water as I like to call it, make me feel queasy and cold foods, like popsicles, hurt my teeth and take too long to eat. If it can’t get into my belly in .5 seconds, I’m not interested.

As expected, ice cream has always fallen into this category too. It has never been my go-to dessert. And if I do have it, I want texture – think chunks, swirls, sprinkles, and syrups. However, in true How Sweet fashion, I would never pass up a $16 cup of ‘gotta have it’ mud-pie-mojo at Coldstone.

Lately, I’ve been craving ice cream.

Yes, it has been abnormally hot and humid here. And if you didn’t already know, when I am hot and subjected to humidity for any period of time, I grow horns and carry a pitchfork. Me being hot is similar to Mr. How Sweet being hungry.

The heat could be to blame. Or maybe my taste-buds (or texture-buds?) are changing? If that is the case, I am angry. Can’t they change in my benefit? Can’t they start to love vegetables?

The worst part about this whole wanting-ice-cream-everyday thing is that we literally live 30 seconds from a Dairy Queen.

If we walk there, that negates the thousands of calories that we consume. It’s negative calorie consumption.

But for some reason, my thighs don’t believe that.

And for that reason alone, I had to make a protein-packed, fruity replacement.

See, I always have wanted to love ice cream.

Mr. How Sweet loves ice cream, and I thought it was something we could enjoy together.

I am always looking for our ‘thing.’ You know, the one ‘thing’ that couples do together?

Some couples exercise together. I want us to eat ice cream. I know. I’m kind of an oddball.

I mean, unless I suddenly fall in love with Dale Earnhart, Jr. or Mr. How Sweet takes an affinity for glittery shoes, we have yet to have our own ‘thing.’

So now, when Mr. How Sweet wants ice cream, I can make this.

I am obsessed with the granita. Usually, granitas are all ‘icey,’ but because of the yogurt, this one is also a bit creamy.

It is loaded with protein and the strawberries add the perfect amount of sweetness. I added a bit of sugar, but only because not everyone in this house loves tart yogurt.

And by everyone, I don’t mean myself. So take a wild guess by process of elimination.

Strawberry Yogurt Granita

from Epicurious (with a slight adaptation)

Serves 4 (1/2 cup serving)

2 cups plain greek yogurt

2 cups strawberries, chopped

1 teaspoon sugar (or sweetener of choice)

In a large bowl, stir together yogurt, chopped strawberries, and sugar. Spread on a baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours. Remove from freezer and scrape with a fork, releasing ice crystals. Freeze again for 30 minutes, then scrape again. Repeat one more time.

Remove from freezer and serve immediately.

Who needs ice cream everyday when you can have this?

Now I just need to find a way to add bacon and chocolate and keep it healthy.

73 Responses to “Strawberry Yogurt Granita.”

Codee — June 30, 2010 @ 11:53 am

All of your recipes look so yummy! Thanks for sharing!!

Natasha Koziol — June 30, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

I think you guys have a “thing,” it’s FOOD. You said you guys love to spend your life savings on food and enjoy crab and lobster etc. Plus you are a rockin home chef and Mr. How Sweet enjoys that, at least I would guess that, because I don’t know anyone that cooks at home for their husband like you do. I’m just trying to help here. See my (brand new) husband’s and my thing is Food. We don’t even necesarily like the same foods, we just love food. We live for Vegas Buffets, Chicago pizza dipped in ranch, and french fries unlimited. Of course we like healthy food too, but none-the-less food is our thing.

Maybe food is your guy’s thing too. If anything, food and writing is definitely two of your “things”!

Alyssa — June 30, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

Ummm how about yum!

Ashley — June 30, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

Oooooh, I’m envisioning a yogurt frozen pie with a graham cracker crust!!

Christina — June 30, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

Jessica,
    This recipe looks SO delicious!! After being up all night long with a stomach bug and not being able to even read my favorite foodie blogs for fear the sight of food would make me hurl, seeing THIS recipe was the only thing that made me want to eat. It’s the perfect post-sick thing!! Unfortunately, I still don’t have the energy to leave my bed…but on the upside, i had made some delicious all natural juice popsicles lastweek and managed to eat that for now.

Can’t wait to try these!!
    -Christina@ appetitedeluxe.blogspot.com

Eliana — June 30, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

If you can figure out how to add bacon and chocolate to this and keep it healthy, you will be my hero FOREVER!!!

Nicole, RD — June 30, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

Easy, delicious, and refreshing…win, win, win! :) Pretty, too :)

Lisa @bakebikeblog — June 30, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

oooh this looks positively delightful! I bet it would work well with so many other fruits too!!!

amanda — June 30, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

That sounds like a delicious and very healthy recipe. I am huge strawberry fan and I actually freeze my yogurt and sugar free pudding in the summer for a cool treat

Gabriela — June 30, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

Oh wow, this is such a great recipe! I love that it’s no ice cream maker required. I’ll bet this would be just as good with coconut yogurt too!

Angela — June 30, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

Mmm, although I agree that cold foods = painful teeth, I love me some ice cream! But then, I love me some Greek yogurt and fruit, too….so I’ll have to try this ;)

Your writing is terrific, and I’m also looking for that “something” for my darling and I! I’m not holding my breath, at least when it comes to foods.

Congrats on being a featured blog for the Foodie Blogroll =) I’ll definitely be back!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) — June 30, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

Oh this granita looks so freaking fabulous!! I was just talking about making a granita the other day, this looks perfect!

Meg — June 30, 2010 @ 9:36 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for a little while, and every time you make me laugh with your wit! I was also amused because a certian husband of mine also gets quite grumpy when his stomach is empty. :) This ice cream looks lovely, especially since it involves strawberries and I’ll be trying it soon!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — June 30, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

That looks really good! I love the color!

Sophie @ yumventures — July 2, 2010 @ 4:59 am

SUCH a great idea! My family makes granita, but never a creamy one! Maybe we will make it this weekend =)

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — July 4, 2010 @ 9:37 am

Oh wow, this seems soo easy!! And so delicious :)

Mary — May 20, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Dark chocolate’s healthy, right? :)

web.fin-fox.А — February 13, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

Всем Доброе утро! Создание сайтов в Сочи http://web.fin-fox.ru .

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Strawberry Yogurt Granita. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com