Over the past few months I have come to determine that I don’t enjoy foods at extreme temperatures.

Warm drinks like coffee, or dirty water as I like to call it, make me feel queasy and cold foods, like popsicles, hurt my teeth and take too long to eat. If it can’t get into my belly in .5 seconds, I’m not interested.

As expected, ice cream has always fallen into this category too. It has never been my go-to dessert. And if I do have it, I want texture – think chunks, swirls, sprinkles, and syrups. However, in true How Sweet fashion, I would never pass up a $16 cup of ‘gotta have it’ mud-pie-mojo at Coldstone.

Lately, I’ve been craving ice cream.

Yes, it has been abnormally hot and humid here. And if you didn’t already know, when I am hot and subjected to humidity for any period of time, I grow horns and carry a pitchfork. Me being hot is similar to Mr. How Sweet being hungry.

The heat could be to blame. Or maybe my taste-buds (or texture-buds?) are changing? If that is the case, I am angry. Can’t they change in my benefit? Can’t they start to love vegetables?

The worst part about this whole wanting-ice-cream-everyday thing is that we literally live 30 seconds from a Dairy Queen.

If we walk there, that negates the thousands of calories that we consume. It’s negative calorie consumption.

But for some reason, my thighs don’t believe that.

And for that reason alone, I had to make a protein-packed, fruity replacement.

See, I always have wanted to love ice cream.

Mr. How Sweet loves ice cream, and I thought it was something we could enjoy together.

I am always looking for our ‘thing.’ You know, the one ‘thing’ that couples do together?

Some couples exercise together. I want us to eat ice cream. I know. I’m kind of an oddball.

I mean, unless I suddenly fall in love with Dale Earnhart, Jr. or Mr. How Sweet takes an affinity for glittery shoes, we have yet to have our own ‘thing.’

So now, when Mr. How Sweet wants ice cream, I can make this.

I am obsessed with the granita. Usually, granitas are all ‘icey,’ but because of the yogurt, this one is also a bit creamy.

It is loaded with protein and the strawberries add the perfect amount of sweetness. I added a bit of sugar, but only because not everyone in this house loves tart yogurt.

And by everyone, I don’t mean myself. So take a wild guess by process of elimination.

Strawberry Yogurt Granita

from Epicurious (with a slight adaptation)

Serves 4 (1/2 cup serving)

2 cups plain greek yogurt

2 cups strawberries, chopped

1 teaspoon sugar (or sweetener of choice)

In a large bowl, stir together yogurt, chopped strawberries, and sugar. Spread on a baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours. Remove from freezer and scrape with a fork, releasing ice crystals. Freeze again for 30 minutes, then scrape again. Repeat one more time.

Remove from freezer and serve immediately.

Who needs ice cream everyday when you can have this?

Now I just need to find a way to add bacon and chocolate and keep it healthy.

73 Responses to “Strawberry Yogurt Granita.”

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales — June 30, 2010 @ 4:02 am

haha… this looks like such a great summer treat!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — June 30, 2010 @ 4:03 am

This looks really healthy! And easy since I don’t have an ice cream maker. Perfect. Ice cream isn’t usually my go to dessert unless it’s gelato, and I’m in Italy somewhere. Then, I have to have the GOD (gelato of the day) everyday. ;)

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — June 30, 2010 @ 4:04 am

I am not an ice cream fan and people look at me like I am crazy. I also grow horns when it is so hot and humid. I do that when I get hungry too. Wow! I must be a treat!!

That looks so yummy. I’ve just been blending up frozen banana’s and cherries lately for a cold dessert. I may have to try this tonight!

Courtney @ Three Months — June 30, 2010 @ 4:06 am

This looks absolutely heavenly! YUM!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — June 30, 2010 @ 4:07 am

This looks so refreshing! I’ve never made granita before.

I love the tartness of greek yogurt too :)

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — June 30, 2010 @ 4:08 am

Love the addition of yogurt to the granita…! Such a great idea and probably so refreshing and a little bit tart…can’t wait to try…such a yummy looking hot weather treat!

Blond Duck — June 30, 2010 @ 4:13 am

I’d never heard of granita! And I love PB ice cream…with sprinkles. Nutter Butter at marble slab is my favorite. Otherwise, ice cream isn’t my favorite. But frozen custard–oh mama!

Cara — June 30, 2010 @ 4:20 am

This is so pretty…I wish strawberries were still in season where I live. It would make the perfect Canada Day dessert, which is tomorrow, not that that’s want you were intending…it just got me thinking.

Erica — June 30, 2010 @ 4:31 am

This looks awesome. And I love how you can adjust the add ins. 30 seconds from a dairy queen? That does sound dangerous. I haven’t had dairy queen in ages- I don’t know that we have any down in Charleston?? Hope you’re having a good week

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — June 30, 2010 @ 4:38 am

I have never ever made granita. What’s wrong with me?!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 30, 2010 @ 4:39 am

Oooh, this looks so good! I love ice cream, despite the fact that it REALLY hurts my teeth. It’s worth it. :-)

Ryan and I have a lot of “things,” but they’re mostly television-based. You know, Glee. The Bachelorette. Those are our things. We’re classy that way.

• Jessica — June 30th, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Haha we have our ‘TV’ things, too. The Bachelorette is one of them!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — June 30, 2010 @ 4:49 am

What a YUMMY summer treat! A MUST make. :)
    Does it hurt your teeth to have to chew the frozen strawberries?

• Jessica — June 30th, 2010 @ 4:57 am

Not really! Which is surprising because my teeth are super sensitive. It starts to melt and soften quickly though.

Cindy Coniglio — June 30, 2010 @ 4:49 am

Yummy and healthy… Love it.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 30, 2010 @ 4:58 am

I miss yogurt! This makes it worse! I am a former frozen yogurt lover. Former only because I can’t have it now! This looks delicious!

Jenna — June 30, 2010 @ 4:58 am

This looks like such a refreshing summer treat! I’ve been looking for new summer sweets to make. Thanks!

MelissaNibbles — June 30, 2010 @ 5:08 am

This looks great. I usually just stick my cup of Chobani in the freezer for 15 minutes, but this is a lot tastier!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 30, 2010 @ 5:34 am

In college my refrigerator would freeze everything (thanks student life!), so I grew to love my very literal “frozen yogurt.” This sounds great!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — June 30, 2010 @ 5:39 am

That looks wonderful. Did you use full fat yogurt or would 2% also work?

• Jessica — June 30th, 2010 @ 5:40 am

I used 2% Fage – it worked great!

A Teenage Gourmet — June 30, 2010 @ 5:41 am

This looks great! But, I haven’t had success with granitas. Instead, I freeze fruit and then put it in the blender, that’s perfect!

Jenny — June 30, 2010 @ 6:04 am

This looks like a great, healthy ice cream substitute… though I’d much rather subsist off of rocky road;)

Maria — June 30, 2010 @ 6:09 am

I love this treat. Perfect for summer time!

Nichole — June 30, 2010 @ 6:12 am

Say what?! Too sweet and easy not to try. Strawberry Sweetcake! This looks awesome.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — June 30, 2010 @ 6:19 am

Mmm – that looks so good!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — June 30, 2010 @ 6:25 am

I love things at extreme temperatures, coffee and soup have to be super super hot for me to drink it. I’ve been known to reheat many times. I also love ice cream because of how cold it is, I love this recipe because of how refreshing it seems!

Abby — June 30, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Dave and I don’t have a “thing” either.

He got me a bike hoping it would be biking–it’s not.

I bought him running shoes hoping it would be running–not that either.

And sadly, frozen yogurt–nope.

But that won’t keep me from making this for myself!!

brandi — June 30, 2010 @ 6:34 am

What a great idea – I’ve never made a granita, but I love the idea of using yogurt, too.

Chris — June 30, 2010 @ 6:40 am

Cold creamy goodness..irresistible!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — June 30, 2010 @ 6:41 am

Love seeing that you use 2% Fage! It’s my favorite. This is such a great idea, girl. I NEED to try it. But, I’m with you. Better if it were chocolate :wink:

Shelley — June 30, 2010 @ 6:46 am

this sounds really delicious, but kind of like a long process. Still, i might have to try it..yum! so refreshing AND healthy.

Maris — June 30, 2010 @ 7:04 am

This looks so refreshing! So glad I found your blog via Two Peas & Their Pod. Adding you to my reader now :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 30, 2010 @ 7:21 am

you know i was just wondering the other day if it was possible to do a creamy granita…guess so! this looks great, the color is awesome, and i need it. yesterday :)

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) — June 30, 2010 @ 7:38 am

Ummm… yum. A must try.

One Healthy Apple — June 30, 2010 @ 7:43 am

Coffee is dirty water? I just died inside a little bit.

Anyways, this recipe looks great! You also need to find yourself a self-serve yogurt place. Yogurt isn’t as cold as ice cream and you get all the control when adding stuff to it.

Wei-Wei — June 30, 2010 @ 7:48 am

Bookmarked.

I am making this.

Wei-Wei

Becki @ HikeBikeEat — June 30, 2010 @ 7:58 am

You need to find a Paciugo Gelato near you – they have an organic maple caramelized bacon gelato!

• Jessica — June 30th, 2010 @ 8:00 am

What?! I need that in my life.

Steve — June 30, 2010 @ 8:07 am

Here’s some good looking ice cream.

Angela — June 30, 2010 @ 8:10 am

Hi Jessica,

First let me say how much I love your blog! The recipes look amazing and its encouraging to find someone with a healthy approach to food. Plus I always know I’ll get a good laugh! I just tried one of your muffin recipes and it was so delicious. I can’t wait to give this a go. I love ice cream but I’ve never tried granita. This is definitely happening for the fourth.

Thanks!

Kristina — June 30, 2010 @ 8:20 am

we have a 3+ mile walking / running trail on one side of our property… at the end of it? A Dairy Queen. :)

…and this looks delicious. far better than DQ.

Cassie @ The Ringls — June 30, 2010 @ 8:38 am

This looks delicious! I have some weird milk-lactose issues but LOVE ice cream, so I think the greek yogurt might be a smart (and healthier) alternative :)

Thanks for this! A perfect cool treat for July 4th weekend!!

Kacy — June 30, 2010 @ 8:41 am

If it doesn’t work out for you and Mr. How Sweet eating ice cream can be OUR thing. I’m totally down. That looks delicious!

Biz — June 30, 2010 @ 8:41 am

I love granitas! So refreshing. If you like grapefruit, I made a grapefruit granita:

But it would probably be better with bacon :D

Katrina — June 30, 2010 @ 9:13 am

This looks so good! AND it’s hot outside. Perfect.

Katie — June 30, 2010 @ 9:17 am

Homemade ice cream is the best news!! I definitely think it could be a “thing” ;-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 30, 2010 @ 10:31 am

love this one! you are the queen of pretty food :) looks like it should be on the cover of martha stewart living or some lovely mag!

xo

Holly — June 30, 2010 @ 10:47 am

I LOVE THIS! I have always wondered if I could make my own frozen yogurt- you know, because you can buy frozen yogurt…but I never made my own- SO glad you have a recipe for it!! :D You rock!! As always!!
    And guess what I’m making tonight for our guests?!? YOUR peanut butter bacon blondies..although I will not be consuming any :( (b/c I don’t eat bacon) I am 150% POSITIVE they will LOVE them- they are bacon lovers as well! So be ready for some ping backs comin’ your way :D

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 30, 2010 @ 10:49 am

This will be a perfect treat for me this summer – healthy, full of protein, and still a tasty indulgent treat!!!!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — June 30, 2010 @ 11:07 am

This recipe looks fabulous!!! This would be perfect to make this holiday weekend … thanks for sharing!

homecookedem — June 30, 2010 @ 11:08 am

This looks so easy, healthy and DELICIOUS!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!!!! :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — June 30, 2010 @ 11:17 am

you are a GENIOUS! i need to try this, but first find room in my freezer for a cookie sheet!! living with two other roomates leaves littel room LOL but love this and want to try it soon!! i bet it would be great with other fruits too like diced frozen cherries or blueberries!!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — June 30, 2010 @ 11:39 am

such a creative recipe! I can’t wait to try!!!

I made your parmesan baked artichokes the other day (on my blog today) and they didn’t come out nearly as good as yours. I was so sad! I didn’t use fresh parm though so I’m determined to try again!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Strawberry Yogurt Granita. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com