I would have never thought to combine these items together.

Sure – the banana and the kiwi, obviously.

But the cayenne, the vinegar, the honey? Please scroll down and thoroughly read the recipe. It is packed with crazy, different ingredients that one would not usually find delicious when combined.

I, on the other hand, knew it would be delicious since I have a knack for combining wild ingredients together. Like bacon and peanut butter. Or chocolate and bacon. Or bacon and, well. . .everything.

Even the vegetables are enjoyable. And let’s be honest, we all know that vegetables are terrible. Right? Right?

Humor me. Please.

This salad is the epitome of summer.

It tastes like summer. It looks like summer. It smells like summer. It is summer.

And who hates summer? No one.

I love summer.

Even though I sweat like a man. Even though my false eyelashes run off my face because of the sweat. Even though Mr. How Sweet loves turning off the air conditioner when I’m not home and it’s 87 degrees in the house. Even though I sweat while showering, eating, cooking, writing, sleeping. . .you get the drift.

I still enjoy summer. And I thoroughly enjoyed this salad – as odd as the combo may be.

It is a pretty salad, too.

Bright, colorful, and packed with flavor.

I made mine a few hours ahead of time, and even the banana stayed fresh.

Mid-bite, I discovered that I forgot to add the cashews. The heat is going to my brain. My head is fried.

I still included them in the recipe. Don’t follow my lead. Don’t forget the cashews. They give the salad a fantastic crunch.

Banana Kiwi Salad

from Eating Well

2 tablespoons lime juice

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon minced shallot

2 teaspoons rice vinegar

1 teaspoon honey

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

pinch of cayenne pepper

4 kiwis, chopped

2 firm yellow bananas, chopped

1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper

2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint

2 tablespoons chopped cashews, toasted

Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, shallots, vinegar, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and honey. Add kiwi, banana, peppers and mint, and toss to combine. Sprinkle with chopped cashews.

Now I have to go battle Mr. How Sweet with the air conditioning and the ceiling fan.

Don’t worry – I will win.

I always do. If I didn’t, the man would starve.

49 Responses to “Sweet and Spicy Banana Kiwi Salad.”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — June 21, 2010 @ 4:16 am

I have to say that when I make fruit salads they normally just involve cut up fruit and a fork. This salad has beautiful colors and interesting ingredients. I love how you added pepper, cashews, shallots, etc to this. Looks great!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 21, 2010 @ 4:29 am

I think it looks like Christmas!!! But yes, it looks like it would TASTE just like summer…yum!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — June 21, 2010 @ 4:31 am

hahahahaha brilliant and so true!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 21, 2010 @ 4:48 am

Good girl eating your vegetables! Baby steps right? I think it is completely acceptable to disguise them! If it makes you feel any better…I have a constant battle with my husband over the air conditioner and the ceiling fan! Good luck!

pigpigscorner — June 21, 2010 @ 4:54 am

wow cayenne pepper? Interesting!

Erica — June 21, 2010 @ 4:54 am

What a unique salad. I’d say the bell pepper is the most “shocking” ingredient. I totally want to try this though!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — June 21, 2010 @ 5:24 am

This salad looks like it’s dripping in awesome-sauce! Just how I like it! ;-)

Fit Chick in the City — June 21, 2010 @ 5:44 am

What an interesting combo! Looks really good though!

homecookedem — June 21, 2010 @ 5:50 am

That looks awesome!! I would love that!! :) Such a yummy combination of ingredients!!

Heather — June 21, 2010 @ 5:50 am

interesting combo…i would never have thought to add all of those ingredients together! it really does look and sound like summer…and no one hates summer :)

Katrina — June 21, 2010 @ 5:54 am

I LOVE this recipe! It’s so perfect for summer :)

Eliana — June 21, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Not the likeliest of combinations but it sure does look pretty tasty.

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — June 21, 2010 @ 6:16 am

This looks awesome! It looks like a perfect summer salad! I would have never thought to add all of those things together!

Tracy — June 21, 2010 @ 6:19 am

Gorgeous salad!!

Wei-Wei — June 21, 2010 @ 6:52 am

Could you use onions instead of shallots? I know that they’re similar but that onions have a stronger, oniony flavour and shallots are more delicately sweet… I’ve never had shallots before, is that correct?! (I don’t like oniony smells/tastes anyway so could I just omit it?) I do think that this looks perfectly colourful and delicious. I think I know what to make tomorrow when I’m feeling hot again :D

Wei-Wei

• Jessica — June 21st, 2010 @ 6:57 am

Yes – you could sub, but if you don’t like onions, I would just leave them out. :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 21, 2010 @ 7:27 am

I love sweet and spicy and I have had a major kiwi craving recently so this looks ahhhmazing

Nicole, RD — June 21, 2010 @ 7:41 am

What an ingredient list! It reminds me of being in Mexico and trying a mango with salt, lime, and chili sauce…it was amazing!!!

Biz — June 21, 2010 @ 7:45 am

I absolutely LOVE that flavor combo – love sweet and heat. Thanks for the recipe Jessica!

Caitlin — June 21, 2010 @ 7:53 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one with an over-active gland issue once the calendar hits June. Heck, who am I kidding? I have hot flashed year-round. This salad may not be in my best interest unless I’m standing in a walk-in fridge.

Camille — June 21, 2010 @ 8:10 am

I love spicing up fruit! So good!

Kare — June 21, 2010 @ 8:18 am

I’m intrigued! It’s so colorful – like the margherita pizza of the fruit salad world. ;)

Rachel — June 21, 2010 @ 8:37 am

I hear ya on the sweating. I feel like showering is almost a waste because the second I step out of the shower, I’m sweating again.

But it doesn’t matter to me. Summer is AWESOME.

Eunice — June 21, 2010 @ 8:40 am

This salad is so pretty! I usually cringe when there is fruit in my salad, but this is intriguing.

I hope your salad cools you down! Lol. I have to admit I’m the one who turns off the a/c at my house. It’s a constant battle over here!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 21, 2010 @ 9:57 am

hey i put nooch and cinnamon together with coconut oil on my popcorn and love it. sometimes the odd combos just work!

xoxo

Blond Duck — June 21, 2010 @ 10:43 am

The first time my sister saw a kiwi she screamed, “I’m not eating hairy fruit!”

The Duo Dishes — June 21, 2010 @ 10:52 am

This is definitely a surprising mix of ingredients. It has sweetness, crunch, spice…very interesting!

Katie — June 21, 2010 @ 10:58 am

Bacon and peanut butter sammies are my favorite! I agree with bacon with anything! :)

Katie — June 21, 2010 @ 11:10 am

Hmmm, very interesting! I would never have thought to combine bananas and veggies. But I like to try new things – especially when they are this pretty and colorful!

Sadako — June 21, 2010 @ 11:21 am

Yum! Want!

Elle — June 21, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

Oh this looks fabulous! Things I wouldn’t think of putting together, but when you think about it–yeah. It’s good!

Thanks for sharing!

Jess @ Cupcake — June 21, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

I love all the colors. This salad sounds just crazy enough to work. I think I may have to give it a try!!

Gabriela — June 21, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

This looks amazing. Fruit + spice = two of my favorite things, but the only time I’ve ever had them together is in mango salsa. Definitely going to give this a try!!

Diana's Cocina — June 21, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

What a wonerful looking salad ~ fruit and spice ♥.

mags — June 21, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

That is an unbelievably gorgeous salad. Truly beautiful… and it sounds delicious too!

Cara — June 21, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

That does sound strange, but it looks delicious.
    My husband absolutely despises bananas, to the point of gagging at the smell, so I would just have to make it for myself sometime.

Melissad — June 21, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

YUM! This looks delish!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 21, 2010 @ 7:51 pm

What an interesting combination of flavours – I bet it is great!! Another perfect summer dish for me to try when I am off of work!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — June 21, 2010 @ 10:37 pm

Brilliant flavor combo. So fresh and summery!

Jacqueline — June 21, 2010 @ 11:52 pm

That looks just yummie. I think my family would love that. They love everything that is in it. Thanks for sharing.

casey — June 22, 2010 @ 6:53 am

This was so good! i made it last nite to rave reviews until someone said i thought this was supposed to have nuts in it. oops! i forgot the cashews as well!

Ashley — June 22, 2010 @ 9:42 am

Wow!!! Would have never thought to make something like this…I’m all for trying out weird combos. Yum!

Sharlene — June 22, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

What an interesting combination of flavors! It does make for a beautiful plate though and I’m sure it tastes delicious. I’ll have to try it out someday soon.

peabody — June 22, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

Interesting addition with the bell peppers. I will have to try.

Tasha — June 24, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

Damn. This blog kicks my ass. I’m slobbering at the mouth…this salad looks strange, you’re right. But I must try. I like all of the ingredients, so maybe they’ll taste good together? After looking at those cupcakes, I trust your judgement. :P Plus, my neighbors always have the best “new” recipes, so this will give me something to run with with the big dogs down the street. Thanks! :)

Crystal — June 29, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

I’ve never thought to put red bell pepper with fruit, yum! I just might have to try this recipe!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Sweet and Spicy Banana Kiwi Salad. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Yum Alert: Sweet and Spicy Banana Kiwi Salad | The Luxury Spot