Last summer, Mr. How Sweet developed an obsession.

This obsession consisted of marinating different types of fruit in vodka for weeks, then drinking the vodka on ice and making smoothies with the fruit. All in the same night.

He called it ‘moose juice.’

I called it lighter fluid. And a bad decision.

But I guess I didn’t learn my lesson.

I soaked these cherries in bourbon. You don’t have to use bourbon. You can use whatever you like. Pick your poison.

I think I am partial to bourbon because it is the life elixir of the Lovett family.

But rum would work too.

Then, once the cherries have absorbed some liquid, dump them over a bowl of ice cream. Or in my case, some tart frozen yogurt.

Bourbon-Soaked Cherries

2 cups bourbon (or rum, vodka, etc.)

1 1/2 cups pitted cherries

Add cherries to bourbon and soak for 48-72 hours. Serve with tart frozen yogurt (my favorite is the Trader Joe’s brand) or ice cream of choice.

I’ve never been a fast ice cream eater.

I’m the girl who loses her double scoop on the dirty concrete because I can’t lick fast enough.

I’ll wait a moment while you get your mind out of the gutter.

See, after I added the cherries to my frozen yogurt, I got distracted by something, I don’t know if it was shoes or chocolate or the never ending marathon of The Hills on MTV. I assure you it was mind-numbing.

Whatever it was, it was worth it because something wonderful happened.

Melty, tart frozen yogurt and cherries that have soaked up bourbon like a sponge? It was my dream come true.

52 Responses to “Bourbon-Soaked Cherries and Tart Frozen Yogurt.”

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 14, 2010 @ 4:07 am

Mmmm….I love the use of liquor in desserts :-) It just makes everything better.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 14, 2010 @ 4:09 am

Oh my… this looks sinful! I’ve had chocolate covered bourbon cherries before and I swear it felt like I had just took a shot of bourbon… it was delicious nonetheless :)

• Jessica — July 14th, 2010 @ 5:00 am

Those sound amazing!

Erica — July 14, 2010 @ 4:10 am

The husband loves cherries and rum….which means I will have to make this (its only right). Maybe I’ll pick some cherries up today to celebrate him coming back from travel!

Courtney @ Three Months — July 14, 2010 @ 4:23 am

Oooh, I love the tart frozen yogurt from TJ’s – it’s so refreshing!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 14, 2010 @ 4:38 am

I never really loved cherries until this season….I’ve been missing out on their sweet-tarty goodness! Bring on the ice cream, I don’t want to miss another bite!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — July 14, 2010 @ 4:50 am

My dad literally makes cordials by soaking fruit of different sorts in liquor of different sorts. Cherries in bourbon was one of them and the said cordial was AMAZING. So, kudos to your hubs for coming up with a good combo.

Sophie @ yumventures — July 14, 2010 @ 5:01 am

I love alcoholic fruit. My boyfriends grandmother soaks prunes in brandy. Ooooh mg. I just wish I had some yogurt to go with them!

RhodeyGirl — July 14, 2010 @ 5:13 am

I am going to go buy cherries today to make this! Think it would work with Grand Marnier instead of bourbon?!

A variation of this that I will blog about soon but share with you right.now is peaches in white wine. Just slice up some peaches and add white wine and a dash of sugar. Let sit for at least an hour and then top with vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream. It is incredible.

• Jessica — July 14th, 2010 @ 5:23 am

I am sure it would be delicious with Grand Marnier – love that too!

And the peaches sound divine. Almost like a sangria peach. Now I know what I can do with the 6 peaches on my counter. Thanks!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 14, 2010 @ 5:21 am

YUM! Mr. How Sweet It Is is such a lucky man…feel free to remind him daily! :)

homecookedem — July 14, 2010 @ 6:02 am

I love soaking fruit in alcohol!! I’ll have to try in about 5 and a half more months! ;)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — July 14, 2010 @ 6:18 am

Uhh – amazing!! and so easy!

A Teenage Gourmet — July 14, 2010 @ 6:18 am

Sounds easy! :) I made a cherry chocolate shake just yesterday. I’m sure these would have improved it.

Amanda — July 14, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Wow.. now THAT looks good! :)

Kacy — July 14, 2010 @ 6:34 am

I like the idea of this. But I fear those cherries might send me running to the bathroom, the way every sip of bourbon I try does. We used to be really close, and then suffered a messy breakup. My life has never been the same since.

Rochelle (Acquired Taste) — July 14, 2010 @ 6:45 am

I’ve always wanted to make brandy or bourbon cherries, and I think after looking at this, I’m going to have get to the store!

Camille — July 14, 2010 @ 6:49 am

If we were on facebook right now, I would “like” this.

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — July 14, 2010 @ 6:55 am

Just read something about bourbon cherries and thought how amazing they sounded…love the idea of pairing them with yogurt…delish!

ashley — July 14, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Bourbon cherries?? I think I’m gonna have to try this! I love love love cherries. soaking them in alcohol?? Must try!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — July 14, 2010 @ 7:25 am

What a revelation! I usually get around to making limoncello every day – but this is so smart!!!! Use fruit that you can also eat!!!

Heather — July 14, 2010 @ 7:31 am

how did you know i was thinking TWSS? i am definitely a FAST ice cream eater…i’m the girl with the frozen mouth and the ice cream headache after 2 minutes :)

Wei-Wei — July 14, 2010 @ 7:31 am

I am underage.

I do not care.

Wei-Wei

Tracy — July 14, 2010 @ 7:57 am

So simple and yet so amazing!!

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) — July 14, 2010 @ 8:08 am

Bourbon soaked cherries? You have outdone yourself with this one. Looks so amazing! :)

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — July 14, 2010 @ 8:13 am

This looks super decadent :) The tart yogurt is usually hard for me to take in frozen form, but paired with the right toppings, it’s PERFECT.

Paula — July 14, 2010 @ 8:54 am

mmm cherries! YUM!

have a nice day!
    Paula

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 14, 2010 @ 9:06 am

Haha, I am SO glad to hear I am not the only one moderately entranced by The Hills! It is just so mindless-in fact mindnumbing-that I can find myself wasting away several hours just watching the useless plotlines.

That yogurt-cherry combo reminds me of Cherry Jubilee. That has ice cream, though, and i think your tart frozen yogurt would actually be a better pairing.

Katie — July 14, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I’ve never had bourbon before, but you make these cherries sound delicious. Also, I’m the fastest ice cream consumer in the world, so I think someone would have to hide it from me if I wanted to achieve that melty consistency.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 14, 2010 @ 10:19 am

“marinating different types of fruit in vodka for weeks, then drinking the vodka on ice and making smoothies with the fruit. All in the same night.”–

Ok in my 20s, i used to order 3 or 4 vodka on the rocks in bars. All at once. I would then ask the bartender for a cup of cherries. I would put the cherries into the vodkas and in 20 mins, literally get drunk off fruit. And i love every single drunk memory :)

Bridget — July 14, 2010 @ 10:42 am

YUM!!! I just made some tart fro-yo at home, and those cherries look perfect! I love pineapple in vodka…the Capitol Grille around here has it as their signature cocktail, a “Stoli Doli”, the vodka and pineapple is soaked for a week I believe then served over ice…you can’t even taste the vodka! Dangerously delicious :)

• Jessica — July 14th, 2010 @ 10:46 am

That is where my husband got the idea from! We love Capitol Grille. I don’t even want to tell you how many of those he drinks when we go there…

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — July 14, 2010 @ 10:43 am

mmm i bet you felt a bit tipsy afterwards!! :) I knwo I would haha, esp since I dont drink that much at all!!

Blond Duck — July 14, 2010 @ 10:44 am

How do you make so many delicious things? It amazes me!

Fiona — July 14, 2010 @ 11:04 am

My parents used to do something similar. They have a rumpot in which they marinate berries in rum all year. Then at Christmas, we would eat the fruit with ice cream or Christmas pudding.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 14, 2010 @ 11:14 am

“Moose juice” is maybe the best name for an alcoholic beverage ever.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — July 14, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

….and i think i’ll be looking for cherries at the farmer’s market this weekend!!!

sophia — July 14, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

Cherries soaked in liquor? Can that be any more romantic and luscious?! Ooh la la…

Eliana — July 14, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

I’m really digging Mr. How Sweet’s obsession :)

Ellen@FirednFabulous — July 14, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

Bourbon…froyo…you always know how to get my attention! Hell, maybe I’ll even try it with some bacon mixed in….or not ;)

Emily — July 14, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

I love cherries with booze!!! I just did a similar thing for the Fourth of July – Cherry Pie with Rye (and a splash of rye whiskey in the crust as well!)

nikki — July 14, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

I too was sucked into watching The Hills marathon. Im hooked. Too bad the shows ending. Oh well there’s always The Kardashians.

amanda — July 14, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

Fruit and alcohol = DELICIOUS!

Lisa @ bakebikeblog — July 14, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

oh my – if only I like bourbon ;) hehe

Pure2raw twins — July 14, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

What a great idea. We use to put vodka in watermelon. Love the bourbon cherry ice cream combo!

Shelley — July 14, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

sounds delicious ! a local ice cream place in Columbus has a cherry froyo flavor- i love it

Ingrid — July 14, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

This looks so good! Love cherries and tart frozen yogurt..:)

Emily @ For Sweets Sake — July 15, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

True story…I never ate cherries raw until, ummm…Monday. I only ate them in pie or cherry flavored things! Now I’m in love and thinking your version of cherry ice cream is right up my alley ;)

Debbie — July 19, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Never like cherries in the past…but now love them!

Zsuzsilka — November 15, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

Hi Jessica, where have you been all my life? Just found you, and now I feel better. Thanks for all.
    XOZK

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Bourbon-Soaked Cherries and Tart Frozen Yogurt. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Rum Soaked Cherries | The Journey of Two