There are some days that I wish Mr. How Sweet could cook.

And by cook, I mean cook things other than ground turkey, eggs, english muffins with peanut butter, and Trader Joe’s orange chicken.

I also wish he would stop snoring as loudly as a jet engine and start thinking of expensive shoes as an investment, but that’s neither here nor there.

Last night, I had no idea what I wanted for dinner. I’m sure you can relate. It was one of those nights where nothing sounded good, but I was starving and had already downed 3 bowls of cereal.

So I whipped up some muffins. Nothing goes better with carbs than more carbs.

Yes, I am still a muffin freak.

They are just so versatile that I love having a batch on hand each week to add to yogurt or smother with peanut butter.

Don’t worry, I exert portion control. I only have 6 in a sitting when I really want 7.

These are perfect for you chocolate lovers who don’t like things too sweet. I will never fully understand how that is humanly possible, but I know there are some of you out there.

The muffins are moist like banana bread, but dense and chewy. Chocolate chips would be a delicious addition, but I didn’t add any in order to keep it a bit more healthy.

That’s a lie. I was just out of them, obviously.

Chocolate Banana Muffins

Makes approximately 24 muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1 egg

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin cups in muffin tins.

Mix sugar, applesauce, and egg until creamy and light yellow. Add bananas and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir until smooth. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Top with course sugar if desired.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick poked in center muffin comes out clean.

Instead of becoming an old lady with cats, I’m going to be an old lady with muffins.

At least I’ll smell better.

100 Responses to “Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins.”

Tina — July 19, 2010 @ 4:04 am

Hmmm…I adore chocolate things that are too sweet. :D These still look scrumdidiliumptious though.

Cara — July 19, 2010 @ 4:08 am

Love love love banana muffins…the choco. is of course a perfect addition!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — July 19, 2010 @ 4:13 am

Dense, chewy, chocolate and banana!? We love love love. Wish we had some right now for breakfast!

Marilou — July 19, 2010 @ 4:19 am

Oh girl. I gotcha. The boyfriend also thinks that any food or cooking that starts with “boil a pot of water” or “pre heat the oven at 350″, is way too much complicated :)

Erica — July 19, 2010 @ 4:31 am

If I hadn’t just run out of cocoa powder, I would make these right now. Yum. Chocolate and banana compliment each other. Maybe to make them a sweet treat, you could add some peanut butter chips…oww

amanda — July 19, 2010 @ 4:32 am

WoW another amazing sounding and looking muffin. You really should go into business and sell these. Maybe the country can get over the whole cupcake phase and back into muffins again!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 19, 2010 @ 4:48 am

I am definitely in the nothing sounds good phase right now. Or maybe I just don’t care about food…what, no. I do. Those muffins sound delicious! Have a great day!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 19, 2010 @ 4:59 am

You are totally speaking to me…and Elvis today!

mags — July 19, 2010 @ 5:02 am

I too shall be known as the muffin lady when I get old. In fact, I’m already old and people already call me the muffin lady. Plus, I hate cats. (nothing against all you people who love them, they just scare me!)

Great looking muffin recipe!

Marisa @Loser for Life — July 19, 2010 @ 5:07 am

I love baking with whole wheat pastry flour! Makes baked goods so much lighter than regular whole wheat.

You will be the cutest old muffin lady :)

Julie @ Pickley Pear — July 19, 2010 @ 5:07 am

I need to buy some WW Pastry Flour. I always keep old bananas in the freezer and I’m starting to get too many piled up. Thanks for a great recipe, as always!

Kristina — July 19, 2010 @ 5:13 am

my last muffin attempt was a a sort – of fail… I think I need to redeem myself with these.

I may add heath bar chunks.

Heather — July 19, 2010 @ 5:18 am

way to go on the portion control…i would’ve had the 7th ;)

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 19, 2010 @ 5:20 am

Where do you get all of these ideas? Seriously!!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — July 19, 2010 @ 5:29 am

There is never such a thing as too many muffins! These look great!

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh — July 19, 2010 @ 5:30 am

lol I love your writing style! These muffins look so very good, I was just about to make your banana coconut ones again but I may have to make the switch to these delicious little nuggets

• Jessica — July 19th, 2010 @ 6:55 am

Thanks! The banana coconut ones are so good too. Tough decision.

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks — July 19, 2010 @ 5:45 am

Good thing I’m not out of chocolate chips ;). I’ve got so many frozen bananas in my freezer that are waiting to be used for this recipe now!

Jess — July 19, 2010 @ 6:05 am

congrats on being featured in the top 9 on foodbuzz! I’m a huge fan of all things bacon and your banana split sounds delicious.

A Teenage Gourmet — July 19, 2010 @ 6:09 am

I’m dying to bake . . . but my freezer is already stocked with uneaten bake things. :(

Tracy — July 19, 2010 @ 6:19 am

An old lady with muffins, LOL. These look wonderful!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — July 19, 2010 @ 6:21 am

I never understood people who don’t like really sweet chocolate things either. They’re just weridos.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — July 19, 2010 @ 6:22 am

I just used up my squishy bananas yesterday. Wish I had had this recipe then! I did use Giada’s recipe for Banana Muffins with Mascarpone Cream Frosting (minus the frosting) and they are great muffins FYI! :)

• Jessica — July 19th, 2010 @ 6:54 am

Those sound really good.

• Susan — July 19th, 2010 @ 7:01 am

Hmmm…mascarpone frosting?…sounds like a cupcake posing as a muffin, to me!

CaSaundra — July 19, 2010 @ 6:25 am

Banana and chocolate have to be one of the best combos—I am surprised bacon didn’t show up in this post lol! ;-)

Eunice — July 19, 2010 @ 6:26 am

Chocolate banana bread?? Why hadnt I thought of that before.. These would definitely be amazing with some chocolate chips. Good thing I restocked :)

Lizzy — July 19, 2010 @ 6:47 am

Yum! And I’m sure the banana/chocolate flavor masks the whole wheat flour! Genius! :)

stephchows — July 19, 2010 @ 6:48 am

LOL you always make me laugh :)
    and mmmmm these look perfect!!!!! (i’ve also been known to do the 3 cereal bowl run then look for more carbs… yum)

Devon — July 19, 2010 @ 6:52 am

LOL old muffin lady…ha! The possibilities for shocking news stories on that one are endless…

OK, so I have to tell you. (I was the one having problems with the sweet and sour chicken) Last night, instead of trying it again, I did the same recipe, doubled the sauce, tossed in a tablespoon of crushed red pepper, a bit of ginger and a half a can of OJ concentrate. I did everything else the same way I did last time, and it. was. divine. Like, I’m talking Panda Express quality orange chicken! The husband didn’t stop crowing about it the whole time he was eating it!

So yay on that! If I could only get the original recipe right now I’d be in business!

• Jessica — July 19th, 2010 @ 6:54 am

That sounds delicious!

Jenna — July 19, 2010 @ 7:08 am

Banana bread batter has got to be my favorite batter/dough ever. I tend to get a little out of control when it comes to banana bread, so maybe muffin form is a better way of self control. Maybe…

Mellissa — July 19, 2010 @ 7:18 am

My mind went in the gutter when you said you would be the old lady with muffins. Not sure why but it made me laugh out loud at my desk on a Monday!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 19, 2010 @ 7:19 am

I am trying to will my bananas to ripen quickly so I can make these

Wei-Wei — July 19, 2010 @ 7:23 am

Smell better indeed. Muffins > cats all the way! And that’s coming from a sadly-rejected-cat-lover. :D Perhaps I’ll be an old lady with all the cats and bacon? Though I wouldn’t be sure whether the cats would be attracted to me, or the bacon. Oh dear.

Wei-Wei

Matt — July 19, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Lol you are going to make me fat ;)

I just made your chocolate pecan butter last night and now you are tempting me with muffins? Haha.

tanyadaily — July 19, 2010 @ 7:55 am

Those look so good , I like anything chocolate!

ashley — July 19, 2010 @ 7:57 am

chocolate banana bread is one of my all time favorite baked goodies. sooo good!

Camille — July 19, 2010 @ 7:59 am

I love banana muffins! I love chocolate muffins. I assure you that I love these :)

Liz — July 19, 2010 @ 8:01 am

Oh my gosh. These sound FABULOUS!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 19, 2010 @ 8:03 am

You are too funny…I always look forward to reading your posts because they are always so witty! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 19, 2010 @ 8:26 am

I totally have my husband convinced that expensive shoes and handbags are an investment … hehehe!

• Mr. How Sweet It Is — July 19th, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

Those are so not investments. Examples of investments are Dale Jr die cast cars and old Hank Williams Jr concert t-shirts, especially if they feature Bocephus with a cougar. These things will appreciate in value over time.

Examples of items that are not investments since they have not increased in value include shoes, purses and Mr. How Sweet’s 401(k).

Sorry, baby.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — July 19, 2010 @ 8:29 am

those sound and look DELICIOUS! i love your stories :) they make me smile…as do your mufffinnssss

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — July 19, 2010 @ 10:06 am

YUM!! These look delicious, and healthy to boot!!

Blond Duck — July 19, 2010 @ 10:07 am

I was having a night like that too last night! Nothing was appealing.

Abby — July 19, 2010 @ 10:17 am

Would this make Mr. How Sweet the Muffin Man???

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 19, 2010 @ 10:37 am

You are one funny gal :)

Those muffins look perfect :) :)

Erin — July 19, 2010 @ 10:44 am

Ok I have been reading your blog for about a month now and I must say you crack me up! I love your writing and your recipes. These muffins are in the oven and I can’t wait to try them :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 19, 2010 @ 10:48 am

too funny that you posted muffs. I am posting some later today…bloob not banana but these look great!

off to lift and have an appt later for another iron into the fire. Just tossing my name out there, ya know.

homecookedem — July 19, 2010 @ 11:25 am

Those chocolate banana bread muffins sound so heavenly!! I’ve been craving banana bread lately, so to combine it with chocolate is even better!!

Jennifer @ maple n cornbread — July 19, 2010 @ 11:33 am

Im a muffin freak too! and these rank right up there, loving the chocolate banana goodness and healthy to boot!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — July 19, 2010 @ 11:39 am

totally making these and adding the chocolate chips! I was literally just thinking the other day that I need to use up some bananas and wasn’t sure how. You saved the day :)

Kailey — July 19, 2010 @ 11:41 am

you know how I get when you post new muffin recipes!! hahah They look scrumptious

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — July 19, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

Yummy!! I’d love to be muffin lady when I’m old :P

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Fat loss Blog » Blog Archive » Desert Diaries. . .

3. Pingback: Random « The Crafty-Foodie-Musician