I made these bars this past weekend and immediately put them into the freezer so I could take them on my upcoming vacation.

Do you know what I learned?

It doesn’t matter if sweets are frozen solid, I will find a way to eat them.

The bars didn’t even freeze the whole way through. I only know this because I bit into one (or eleven) mere seconds after removing it (them) from the freezer.

Lesson learned: freezing baked goods does not keep me from eating them.

These are really just cookies baked into bars.

I stole the idea from Heather, who often makes a batch of cookies into bars. She calls it lazy; I call it genius.

They are so much better this way. They are thicker, chewier, and give you more cookie volume per square inch (centimeter?).

And when you are dealing with chocolate and peanut butter, the more the merrier.

We all know it is the best combination on the planet.

It is a requirement that chocolate and peanut butter should be eaten together every single day. Sometimes multiple times a day.

Hey, I don’t make the rules. I just follow them.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

1 cup butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon course sea salt

1/2 cup peanut butter

1 cup peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 325.

Cream butter, peanut butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.

Fold in peanut butter chips. Spread dough in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Other sizes will work too, it will just determine the thickness of the bars.

Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes.

I think there are approximately 2.5 bars left in my freezer. I need to figure out how I can incorporate them into breakfast. What’s funny is even assuming that they can make it into a breakfast combination before my little sausage fingers pop them into my mouth.

Don’t forget to subscribe to How Sweet It Is so you can get updates while I’m on vacation. I will be blogging about my trip (because I am going to my favorite place!) in my Fit Bites section. You can also subscribe by email.

82 Responses to “Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars.”

Brittany — July 28, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Two of my favorite things – chocolate and PB in one little treat= yes please!!

No worries Jess, I’m pretty sure I would be digging in the freezer to eat these as well.

Erica — July 28, 2010 @ 4:11 am

Fantastic. I actually kind of enjoy frozen or cold baked goods. Whenever I make bars, they go right in the fridge.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 28, 2010 @ 4:14 am

Yuuuummmyyy!!!!

mags — July 28, 2010 @ 4:14 am

Chocolate and peanut butter shall forever be the longest and most perfect marriage.

Have fun on your vacation!

Gabriela — July 28, 2010 @ 4:27 am

I’m constantly amazed by the stuff you make here. Stuff like this goes in my house before there’s even time to put it in the freezer, so at least you have that much self control!! Chocolate and peanut butter are absolutely the ultimate combo though…

Staci {@RandomSweets} — July 28, 2010 @ 4:35 am

I’ve never met a chocolate & peanut butter combo I didn’t like. Ever. I agree with #Mags–this is one marriage that is solid as a rock! Yum.

Pure2raw twins — July 28, 2010 @ 4:35 am

YUM! We made chocolate almond brownies last week ; ) Now I wish we had more.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — July 28, 2010 @ 4:39 am

I think I’m going to come on vacation with you so I can eat all of the treats that you bring with you. Have fun on vacation! :)

Amanda — July 28, 2010 @ 4:41 am

HA! YOU, follow the rules?!?!!! Good one.

These look fantastic girl! I think the idea of converting a recipe to bars like that is genius!

Blessings-
    AManda

Jil — July 28, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Looks divine! So good!!

Tes — July 28, 2010 @ 4:47 am

Wow this looks fantastic! The recipe sounds simple and easy, too! What a magic!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 28, 2010 @ 4:55 am

Chocolate and Peanut Better were made to go together! Looks delicious :)

the crazy suburban mom — July 28, 2010 @ 4:58 am

Oh I totally agree about the freezing thing and sometimes it makes them more appealing. I don’t even know whats up with that! lol

Tracy

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 28, 2010 @ 4:58 am

I have the same problem with muffins and bean burgers. I put them in the freezer for later and later never really seems to happen! I can totally see your problem. These look delicious!

jenna — July 28, 2010 @ 5:02 am

this is the best combo in the world!! :) these brownies look sinfully good.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 28, 2010 @ 5:20 am

Yeah, sometimes I even like the treats BETTER frozen! There’s just no getting around it.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 28, 2010 @ 5:21 am

What is better than chocolate and peanut butter? I can’t think of a thing!

Lizzy @LBBakes — July 28, 2010 @ 5:26 am

Haha, I do the same thing when I freeze baked goods. I try not to eat them, but hey, chilled cookies are just as good (if not better) than warm ones! :)

Allie — July 28, 2010 @ 5:29 am

Am I weird that I never thought to do this?! So glad you made the suggestion :) Chocolate peanut butter cookies are actually a cookie that my mom makes during the holidays but I should whip out this recipe now!

Heather — July 28, 2010 @ 5:30 am

thanks for the shout-out…you gotta love stuff that requires minimal effort with maximum delicious output ;)

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — July 28, 2010 @ 5:38 am

All I want is one of these (or 10) in my belly right now. It’s 8:38am.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 28, 2010 @ 5:45 am

I agree….whenever I bake it doesn’t matter where the sweets go…they always call my name!! I have been known (now don’t laugh) to get Keith to hide them from me. Then I don’t know where they are…hey whatever works right?

Evan Thomas — July 28, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Major yum!

Wei-Wei — July 28, 2010 @ 6:05 am

I think that freezing sweets may make me more attracted to them in the summer. Nothing like biting into a frozen Snickers bar either…

Wei Wei

Evan@swEEts — July 28, 2010 @ 6:07 am

It is totally acceptable to eat something like this with a big dollop of vanilla yogurt.. every knows when yogurt is involved it “healthy” and Ok :) These look fabulous..you had me at chocolate and peanut butter

Jenna — July 28, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Have fun on vacation!

Hey, I say since these are called ‘bars’ and not ‘brownies’ or ‘cake’, etc., you can eat one straight up for breakfast. ;)

tanyasDailyProductReviews — July 28, 2010 @ 6:11 am

great combo….always works

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — July 28, 2010 @ 6:11 am

looks yummy! i made chocolate peanut butter brownies this weekend. :) and p.s… frozen cookies are my fave!

Matt — July 28, 2010 @ 6:20 am

I really want one of those and it is 8:21 AM. I will totally eat those for breakfast any day of the week!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — July 28, 2010 @ 6:24 am

You’re killing me! Yum! Can I have one for breakfast? Seriously, I want these now!

Alicia at Poise in Parma — July 28, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Going to have to make these for the hubby. Out of the blue, he was requesting brownies last night, but these might just do the trick. Will report back accordingly once I get around to making them!

Trish — July 28, 2010 @ 6:24 am

I had to do a double-take…at first I thought the title had coconut in it. But I’m so happy that it said chocolate instead! Might have to try these this weekend — I love anything peanut butter and chocolate!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — July 28, 2010 @ 6:33 am

Yum! I actually prefer eating chocolate sweets cold so I bet they would taste great straight from the freezer!

Erin @ CelticHeart Designs — July 28, 2010 @ 6:57 am

MMMMMMMMMMMM it looks so good! I want some! Gonna have to make them now lol.

Lee Ann L. — July 28, 2010 @ 7:10 am

This sounds great! I love chocolate. My husband loves Peanut Butter. So, this would be perfect for the both of us! Thanks. :-)

Kristina — July 28, 2010 @ 7:13 am

this IS a genius idea… I love bars!

and this particular bar… I WANT for breakfast also… ! chocolate and peanut butter ARE the best.

homecookedem — July 28, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Haha, I love your thought process b/c it’s eerily similar to mine! Turning cookies into bars is only natural for girls like us!! ;) I can almost smell these, they look amazing!!

Eliana — July 28, 2010 @ 7:22 am

Good to know now that freezing won’t keep me from eating. I’ll definitely make a mental note.

cookiepie — July 28, 2010 @ 7:24 am

The only thing yummier than a chocolate peanut butter bar would be a frozen chocolate peanut butter bar! Wow!! Plus, I have a theory that anything eaten straight out of the freezer has no calories. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it…

Sheri — July 28, 2010 @ 7:26 am

OMG, if I wasn’t sitting at work right now I’d be at home making these…yum!

Jen — July 28, 2010 @ 7:27 am

These look amazing! I can see why they were hard to resist

Camille — July 28, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Haha, I now have to freeze bread so I don’t munch on it in the pantry. I do still munch, but at least the defrost process slows me down!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 28, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Sometimes I love things even more after they’ve been in the freezer, especially in the summer!

Kacy — July 28, 2010 @ 7:55 am

Yep, I need those. Damn I wish I baked.

Jessica — July 28, 2010 @ 8:01 am

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are DANGEROUS! I totally agree on the cookie into bar idea – they are so much better. I make plain chocolate chip cookies into bars and they are more gooey, chocolatey, and I am most definately capable of eating my body weight in them!
    Another awesome recipe, thank YOU!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — July 28, 2010 @ 8:18 am

Most stuff in the freezer is pretty safe for me. I still have girl scout cookies and cookie dough in there that I haven’t demolished. Where I find this will power I don’t know. But if it’s in the cupboard, I’m all over it!

Kelly — July 28, 2010 @ 8:31 am

Given that we both made bars with peanut butter & chocolate involved at the same time I think I may have channeled your brain. :-)

• Jessica — July 28th, 2010 @ 8:44 am

I agree!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 28, 2010 @ 8:43 am

Mmmmmm, those look perfect!! So moist looking!

Shannon — July 28, 2010 @ 8:54 am

Wow!! Those look amazing!!! They totally would have not made it to my freezer!!! The combo of chocolate and peanut butter makes me want to dance!

Katrina — July 28, 2010 @ 9:13 am

These are all I want. I will not be a happy girl without them!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Get Lost In Chocolate. | How Sweet It Is