We all know how easily bored I can get.

So would you believe me if I told you that I am making this meal for a second time in 4 days?

At the risk of sounding dramatic, it is so incredible that you must rush home and make it this evening. It is easy and quick too!

I can’t make real lasagna.

Mr. How Sweet claims that he will go into convulsions if he eats ricotta cheese, though I have seen him taste his fair share of it.

But that is fine with me.

I don’t love pasta and tomato sauce makes me cry.

However, I do love greasy, cheesy Mexican food.

I mentioned earlier this week that I made some meals for Mr. How Sweet since I’m leaving tomorrow. I always make him meals on the weekends, but this time I tried to make him some more “fun” ones.

I have been making enchiladas for him for years. When we were dating, I occasionally would make him a dish of chicken enchiladas to surprise him after work. Sometimes I even made them for his lunch, and we didn’t even live together.

I guess he got some milk for free.

He requests the enchiladas so often that I rarely eat them anymore. I wasn’t even tempted by this lasagna, but I was feeling rather emotional and decided to eat my feelings.

One bite in, I was hooked.

It was so delicious. Dare I say it is one of the best meals I’ve made since we have been married? It certainly isn’t made entirely from scratch, and it seems rather boring on the outside. And it is simple. But good gosh – is it fabulous.

I should have never taken that first bite.

Let’s just say that Mr. How Sweet didn’t get much of the lasagna. Between me eating it for lunch and dinner, I think he only got one skinny slice.

He has been talking about it ever since. And I have been feeling guilty for eating the entire dish.

So tonight I am making him a fresh, much larger portion.

And then I’m going to handcuff myself so I don’t eat it.

Enchilada Lasagna

8 corn tortillas

3 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 10 oz)

1 teaspoon cumin

pinch of cayenne pepper

3/4 cup black beans

1/2 red pepper, chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 sweet onion, chopped

1 10-oz can enchilada sauce

2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese ( I used reduced-fat)

Preheat oven to 375.

For filling: Heat skillet on medium heat and add olive oil, onions and peppers. Saute until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add chicken, cumin and cayenne, 1/2 the can of enchilada sauce, the black beans and 1 cup of cheese. Stir until warm and combined.

Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and layer 2 tortillas down. Top with filling, and repeat until tortillas are gone. Top with remaining cup of cheese and drizzle the rest of the enchilada sauce on top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Note: I used La Tortilla Factory tortillas since they are my favorite. I love that they have different sizes – it makes it easier to bake the dish for two people, or a large group.

I apologize for the last picture being on the… messy side.

See, I just couldn’t help myself. I was snapping pictures and simultaneously taking bites.

I have no self control.

Don’t forget to subscribe to How Sweet It Is so you can get updates while I’m on vacation. I will be blogging about my trip (because I am going to my favorite place!) in my Fit Bites section. You can also subscribe by email.

107 Responses to “Easy Enchilada Lasagna.”

Liana @ femme fraiche — July 29, 2010 @ 4:11 am

Have an excellent trip! Where are you off to?

• Jessica — July 29th, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Thank you! Michigan.

Erica — July 29, 2010 @ 4:11 am

Ow! I used to make a Rachael Ray dish that is somewhat similar for Mexican lasagna. I haven’t made it in ages but everyone always loved it! Great work. I’m sure the man will cruise right through the man of this goodness

Kendel @ Eating Abroad — July 29, 2010 @ 4:19 am

So he won’t eat ricotta, what about lasagna made with cottage cheese? Is that a no-go too? This looks fantastic. I’ll have to try it.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Nope! But that is okay, I don’t like cottage cheese either.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — July 29, 2010 @ 4:24 am

“Yum” isn’t nearly a good enough would for how that looks! :)

Tina — July 29, 2010 @ 4:37 am

Bookmarked, saved, and planned to be on the menu next week. Love me some Mexican!

amanda — July 29, 2010 @ 4:39 am

I was just in MI this weekend!!! Have a good trip and loving this dish you made.

Lizzy @ LBBakes — July 29, 2010 @ 4:51 am

Mmm, that looks great! I’ve only had enchiladas once but loved every bite of ‘em. And I love lasagna… Perfect combo!

Weight Loss Tips — July 29, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I can’t make a successful lasagna either, I think I can make this easy looking recipe though. It really does look good and sounds very simple. Love Mexican food and enchiladas are one of our favorites, thanks for a new recipe to try.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 29, 2010 @ 5:17 am

Please save me a piece! I’ll be right over.

Jessie — July 29, 2010 @ 5:24 am

I am making Tequila Lime Chicken (from the Pioneer Woman) tonight and now have something to make with the leftovers! Thank you! Looks great!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 29, 2010 @ 5:27 am

This is beautiful!! I love it!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 29, 2010 @ 5:30 am

Oooh, that picture with all of the layers looks SO cheesey!!! Yum!

D — July 29, 2010 @ 5:32 am

Oh my, that does look good. I have been searching for some new chicken recipes. Thanks!

kelly — July 29, 2010 @ 5:41 am

Holy crud, that looks so good!!!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 29, 2010 @ 5:51 am

That looks amazing and if I use the right tortillas it is easily gluten free! Awesome!! My husband would LOVE this too!

Sophie @ yumventures — July 29, 2010 @ 6:00 am

This is perfect, amazing, fabulous! Mexican food is my fave, and the tortillas are gluten free. So excited to try this!

Liz @ Bog is the New Black — July 29, 2010 @ 6:03 am

I just printed this recipe and plan on making it immmmmmediately!

MelissaNibbles — July 29, 2010 @ 6:07 am

I just forwarded this to the boyfriend. He’s making this for me stat!

Abby — July 29, 2010 @ 6:10 am

Yummy! I make a mexican lasagna kind of like that. Haven’t made it for awhile…nor do I know where the recipe is at. Soo, I’ll probably just use yours! :)

homecookedem — July 29, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Ok, this is so weird, but the last 2 posts I read this morning were about lasagna and then then the last was about enchiladas… this is the best of both worlds!! This looks awesome!!

Nichole — July 29, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Ay dios mio. MUY bueno. Seriously, brilliant idea and this looks muy ficil.

I will add this to a fall tailgate party line up!

Corinne — July 29, 2010 @ 6:31 am

How fitting! Today is National Lasagna Day!!

This looks too good to be true. Making THIS weekend for sure! Have a blast on your vacation :)

• Jessica — July 29th, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Really? I had no idea! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — July 29, 2010 @ 6:32 am

Oh yum! I love anything with mexican flavors and this looks delicious! I haven’t made enchiladas in forever!

Camille — July 29, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Mmmm, I would totally leave the meat out of this and then devour the rest :)

Shannon — July 29, 2010 @ 6:47 am

That’s looks really good. That just might have to make it into my weekend menu!!!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — July 29, 2010 @ 6:50 am

Oh, my. This looks absolutely amazing. I need to make this. Like now. Wow!

Have a great trip!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 29, 2010 @ 7:06 am

Very similar to a taco pie that I make, but with ground beef. I would be interested to try it with chicken though!!

Beth — July 29, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Totally making this for dinner tonight. Holy moly it looks fantastic.

Kelly — July 29, 2010 @ 7:16 am

I just saw your comment on Angela’s “negative thoughts” post. I was wondering what kind of self esteem classes you had in elementary school. I teach kindergarten and I’m always looking for ways to build self esteem in my kids and the other kids at my school- wondering if you guys used a program or something?

• Jessica — July 29th, 2010 @ 7:21 am

Hi Kelly! In elementary school we had something called PSE (Project Self Esteem). I honestly don’t know much about it but from what I can remember there was a ‘mascot’ and we had it one day a week. I believe it was a national program, but I am not sure because I was in private school. I don’t think it was simply done by the school though. I can ask my mom and aunt who were volunteers at one point and see if they remember anything about it!

Tracy — July 29, 2010 @ 7:18 am

Wow does that look good. I’d probably eat the whole pan!

Morgan — July 29, 2010 @ 7:24 am

I could totally do this veg! I love Mexican casserole dishes!

Matt — July 29, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Wow those look great! I think I would eat the whole pan in one sitting ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 29, 2010 @ 7:30 am

all i can think is layers of flavah…you know, like the gum? but better ;)

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — July 29, 2010 @ 7:36 am

Jessica, this is a meal we have often in our house – so easy and yummy!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 29, 2010 @ 7:42 am

I’m supposed to bring a dish to my boyfriend’s parent’s house this weekend and I’m pretty sure this will be a huge win!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — July 29, 2010 @ 7:42 am

I love Mexi mash-ups like this one.

Now I know what I want to do with the bag of tortillas in my freezer!

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write — July 29, 2010 @ 7:49 am

I think your man and mine are kindred spirits. He goes into convulsions over random things, too.

I might have to borrow this recipe, though. It looks amazing.

marla {family fresh cooking} — July 29, 2010 @ 7:57 am

I can see why you were taking bites of this while photographing it. Looks so gooey and yummy. Great idea to combine Quesadilla with Lasagna! xo

Kristina — July 29, 2010 @ 7:58 am

this looks AWESOME !! I need to make this!

Have a FABULOUS trip!! :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — July 29, 2010 @ 7:58 am

Ohh – this looks sooo good! Cheeeesy goodness.

eatmovelove — July 29, 2010 @ 7:58 am

I love your blog! I always see you comment on others and decided to check it out – great layout…and oh my God – lasagna! I would love to be able to make it so good…but usually resort to Amy’s hah! I’ve never tried enchiladas, but will be now :)

• Jessica — July 29th, 2010 @ 8:07 am

Thank you!

eatmovelove — July 29, 2010 @ 7:59 am

oh, and I’ll be adding you to my reader and blog!

ashley — July 29, 2010 @ 8:11 am

yummmm looks delicious! i have our go to enchilada recipe but these look great… i need to try them! :-)

Eliana — July 29, 2010 @ 8:14 am

Look at all that cheesy goodness. Making me so hungry. Which is not good as I get ready for my lunchtime workout.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 29, 2010 @ 8:36 am

Do I still need to subscribe if I follow you? I don’t want to miss any of your posts!

That enchilada lasagna looks so insanely good – my hubby would LOVE that!

Kacy — July 29, 2010 @ 8:38 am

Yum! I love cheesy Mexican food so much. It’s why I hope to someday marry a Mexican. For real, I’ve dated more Mexicans than white guys. It’s a fetish. Oops, that got a little off topic. Bottom line: looks good!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — July 29, 2010 @ 8:49 am

Oh wow. This looks amazing. I love mexican cheesy food like this, and I love making casseroles like this.

Wei-Wei — July 29, 2010 @ 8:50 am

I bet you could make lasagna with a lot of different cuisines and stylere! All you need is a flatbread-type item and a filling-type item and layer it. Yummyyyy! Even better if you just top it off with cheese.

Wei Wei

Holli — July 29, 2010 @ 9:01 am

This looks fantastic! What size corn tortillas would you suggest for two people? And have you ever used flour tortillas with this or just corn?

• Jessica — July 29th, 2010 @ 9:17 am

I used smaller ones – I think they are 4 inch? They are the homemade corn tortillas by La Tortilla Factory. Bigger ones would work too, I just wanted to fit it into a small dish I had.

And yes, I am sure flour tortillas would be great, I just have an obsession with corn ones.

• kelly — July 30th, 2010 @ 10:29 am

8 inch ones fit perfectly in a square dish…you only need one per layer. i’ve used whole wheat tortillas too, which are great!

teresa — July 29, 2010 @ 9:01 am

Oh Jessica!
    This looks AMAZING!
    ANd how very sweet of you to make Mr. How Sweet an entire batch of his own!
    My GREG would love KISS me all over if I whipped this lasagna up for him!
    And it looks HEALTHY too!
    Love it Jessica!
    Jotting the recipe!
    xo

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Easy Enchilada Lasagna. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Enchilada Lasagna « Be Healthy, Be Happy, Be Well

3. Pingback: Back to Normal « Mugs & Pugs

4. Pingback: Overheard at the Gym « Blog is the New Black

5. Pingback: Loaded Veggie Enchiladas. | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: The Top 10 Delicious Dinner Ideas in 2010. | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Help me hide my vegetables | Chasing the Now

8. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #12 – Easy Enchilada Lasagna « Ella Rose Entertaining

9. Pingback: Blog is the New Black » Blog Archive » Overheard at the Gym