Usually once a week, Mr. How Sweet and I have homemade pizza for dinner.

And often, we end up having it twice a week.

And then we don’t have any for 4-5 weeks because we are so sick of it.

Such is life.

The only thing we disagree on is the amount of sauce. Oh, and the amount of meat.

I don’t like tomato sauce, so when it is piled high on pizza I am not a fan. I also don’t like pepperoni or sausage, or any other kind of meat that does not resemble bacon.

Mr. How Sweet loves gallons of sauce and boatloads of pepperoni.

But let’s get real.

That’s not the only reason I always make 2 pizzas.

It’s because Mr. How Sweet takes down at least one entire pizza himself. Even on the nights that he swears he ‘is not hungry,’ like last night.

I should have taken a picture of the finished product, but I don’t really think that seeing an empty pizza pan would thrill you.

Not that hungry, eh?

Enter the white pizza.

Growing up, my parents always ordered a white pizza. I hated it back then because it usually was packed with tomatoes and maybe even other vegetables. Not much has changed, but these days I roll with it.

In fact, I think I am about to go have some for breakfast.

See? I still leave big, giant spots of plain cheese without tomatoes since I will most likely pick off all vegetables. I'm 4 years old.

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon dry active yeast

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup lukewarm water

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

Combine flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, honey and oil, mixing with a spoon to form into a ball. Continue mixing with your hands and kneed for about 60 seconds. Lightly oil bowl and add dough back in. Cover and let rise for 2-3 hours.

After 2-3 hours, remove from bowl and punch down. Roll back into ball and let sit for 30 minutes.

Lay on lightly floured surface and roll very thin. Top with toppings and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Easy White Pizza

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon italian seasoning

1 large tomato, sliced

1 cup mozzarella cheese

1 cup provolone cheese

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

Brush dough with olive oil. Top with minced garlic and 1/2 tablespoon italian seasoning. Add on cheeses and spread evenly over dough. Top with tomato slices and sprinkle with remaining italian seasoning.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

What are your favorite pizza toppings? I would have to go with bacon and arugula and 16 different kind of cheeses. Life is good.

61 Responses to “Easy Homemade White Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust.”

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — July 3, 2010 @ 5:26 am

Your pizzas look great! I love that you are about ready to have a slice for breakfast. I love having pizza for breakfast but it has to be served cold!

CaSaundra — July 3, 2010 @ 5:28 am

Love the sounds of this crust! Whole wheat crust is much better tasting in my opinion. There’s nothing better than hot pizza for supper and cold pizza for breakfast ;-)

Nicole@Making Good Choices — July 3, 2010 @ 5:38 am

I know you’re going to hate this, but my favorite pizza topping are veggies, eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers I love ‘em all on pizza. I know, we’re opposites in that respect! :) I think love a good cheese pizza though!

Wei-Wei — July 3, 2010 @ 6:08 am

I looooove lots of sauce on pizza, but I usually can’t really taste it. But cheese is okay too… it makes my tummy a little funny though, if you know what I mean ;)

Wei-Wei

homecookedem — July 3, 2010 @ 6:14 am

Andrew’s swears he’s “not hungry” all the time too. And by the end of the meal he’s stealing my last few bites. Men. ;) I love white pizzas!! I don’t usually like meat on my pizzas either… except chicken when we do Buffalo Chicken Pizzas…

Heather — July 3, 2010 @ 6:17 am

honestly i could go for just about anything but anchovies and green bell peppers…at that point i don’t think anything is off limits!

Paula — July 3, 2010 @ 6:21 am

looks absolutely tasty!

rhea — July 3, 2010 @ 7:07 am

those pizza pics are beautiful and they’re makin’ me hungry!!! :) seriously though, they look so professional. my dad got me a pizza stone for christmas a couple of years ago and i might need to bust it out again after seeing this post.
    i like pizza with proscuitto and lemon/olive oil-tossed greens on top if i’m feeling fancy and i like pizza with barbecue chicken, bacon and carmelized onions on top if i’m feeling HONGRAY ;)

Matt — July 3, 2010 @ 7:13 am

I love white pizza with a spinach topping ;) Mmmm

kelly — July 3, 2010 @ 7:28 am

I love tomato and basil on a pizza OR a buffalo chicken pizza! Ranch dressing as the sauce, top w/shredded chicken tossed in buffalo sauce, cheddar cheese and red onion! YUM!!

Lani — July 3, 2010 @ 7:47 am

Yum! I love pizza with less toppings! Have a great weekend!

Sarah — July 3, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Looks delicious! My husband and I go through the same pizza eating trend. I’ll have to give the white pizza a shot when we are starting to get tired of the red. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — July 3, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Pizza is great any time of day! Yours looks delicious!

Kelly — July 3, 2010 @ 9:00 am

margherita! there’s nothing better than mozz, tomatoes & basil…mmm i might have to go make one now…

Kacie@Nonexistentcolors — July 3, 2010 @ 9:14 am

YUM!!!!! I’m making homemade pizzas tonight for dinner!!! Totally inspirational!!!

Katie — July 3, 2010 @ 10:30 am

We eat homemade pizzas a lot, too. They’re so easy to personalize. I like every veggie you can imagine, piled high (sorry). I don’t even need sauce or cheese – just give me the carbs.

Kris | iheartwellness.com — July 3, 2010 @ 10:44 am

Yummm!! Ok, do you think these pizza pies would turn out just as good with a GF flour?? I know sometimes wheat flour is best in recipes.

Love your recipes doll, my mouth always waters coming over here!

xxoo

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 3, 2010 @ 11:07 am

been at least 5-7 yrs since i have ate pizza…gluten and dairy not a fan for me :) and the allergenic pizzas, what’s the point? they are nasty and $

Need to make my own raw ones!

Pineapple all the way. LOVE it on ‘za!

Erica — July 3, 2010 @ 11:09 am

Homemade pizza= amazing! Especially on the grill. I love white pizza but I also like super saucy pizza with almost no cheese. Favorite toppings= onion, peppers, pineapple! Happy weekend

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — July 3, 2010 @ 11:27 am

Looks so so so so good!
    I love cheese and every vegetable possible! YUM!
    Check out my blog for my giveaway!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 3, 2010 @ 12:27 pm

Looks delicious! I have to agree with Mr. How Sweet though, I LOVE SAUCE!!! You seriously have be craving pizza right now.. I think I’ll have to go get the fixings for a gluten free crust. I enjoy a white pizza from time to time but I definitely am a marinara-aholic!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 3, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

You win! You win! Yours definitely looks better!!!

Karly — July 3, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

But, you…there’s no…WAIT A MINUTE. Where is the sauce? You mean you like pizza with NO SAUCE? Huh. I’ve never tried that before. I’ve had actual white sauce on a pizza, like an alfredo sauce, but never just olive oil, garlic, and cheese. Simple is yummy, though, so I’ll have to try this sometime.

Erin @ Making Memories — July 3, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

We just made pizza tonight for dinner but yours looks so much better than mine did! Yum!

Abby — July 3, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

I LOVE white pizza! Actually I love all pizza.

And I’ve been looking for a whole wheat pizz crust for my tomato rolls, but i’ll try this!

Thanks!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — July 3, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

YUMMY pizza!!!
    I was out earlier today in Lake George, NY and came across a sign that reminded me of you! I posted a picture of it on my post – I think you’ll appreciate it! ;)

Shelley — July 4, 2010 @ 7:08 am

this looks amazing- homemade crust is just 205982 times better than store bought crust

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — July 4, 2010 @ 7:47 am

Cheese, nothing is better on a pizza than cheese! 4 cheese pizza is so good!

We usually also make 2 pizzas or a HUGE one and cut it in 2 halves, one for me and one for the man of the house :)

Eunice — July 4, 2010 @ 11:06 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had white pizza! A bunch of cheese and dough doesn’t seem like a bad thing to me though.

I love tomato sauce so there is always a bunch of it on my pizza. My perfect pizza has a thin crust, a bunch of sauce and pepperoni (which holds a special place in my heart). There’s a pizza place on South Beach that sells BBQ chicken pizza. Oh my. That is a close second!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 4, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

I’ve used one of your pizza dough recipes before and it was incredible. I can’t wait to try this out!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 4, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

My favourite pizza toppings are: mushrooms, tomatoes, olives and cheese!

MelissaNibbles — July 5, 2010 @ 5:59 am

I hate tomato sauce. It’s so gross and acidy!!!

I love a sauceless pizza with just a touch of olive oil, or an alfredo pizza. At home, I’ll use a Laughing Cow cheese as my sauce!

Amanda — July 5, 2010 @ 6:15 am

I am drooling over here… I want that tomato pizza!!! :)

Blessings-
    Amanda

shelly (cookies and cups) — July 5, 2010 @ 6:29 am

I love fresh tomatoes on pizza! I hate sauce with chunks of tomato, but love the fresh…
    gorgeous!

smilinggreenmom — July 6, 2010 @ 11:08 am

These look fab! We love making homemade pizza on the weekends and I have been wanting to make a homemade whole wheat crust with it too. I usually use AP flour but I really want to make it using Kamut Flour since it is so healthy and bakes up great :) your pics are gorgeous!

Crystal — July 6, 2010 @ 12:27 pm

Your pizza looks tasty, love the tomatoes! I might have to try your pizza crust recipe!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 6, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

Your pizza looks fantastic… I love the recipe for the whole wheat pizza dough. I’d love for you to submit this post (and a photo) for my Kitchen Bootcamp roundup this week.

Kayla — December 1, 2010 @ 1:16 am

Hi Jessica! I have tried SO MANY whole wheat pizza crusts and this one is the first one that’s actually worked! You are a genius! I will be using this one forever, thank you! ;)

• Jessica — December 1st, 2010 @ 1:49 am

I am so glad it worked out! Thanks for linking me too. ;)

Christina — February 19, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

Is the dough supposed to stay out on the counter or do you put into the fridge?

Courtney — November 8, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

Hi there! Can the dough be prepped in advance (night before), or does it have to be immediately used once when made? :)

Thanks!

Cynthia — April 10, 2012 @ 12:56 am

The Whole Wheat Crust taste like Cardboard!!! This is the worst recipe and I will never use this sight again!!! Very Disappointed!

SarahRolls — September 28, 2012 @ 2:18 am

Ooh, I know I’m late to this particular pizza party, but the last comment being negative made me sad so I overcame my natural Britishness and dived in.
    I don’t like red sauce either! I use a romanesco (sort of almond and roasted red pepper pesto sort of affair) but my favourite is a mixed sour cream and cream cheese topping, with caramelised onions and smoky bacon. Deb at Smitten Kitchen has a recipe but I first saw it on a Brit tv show called “Two Greedy Italians”, where they called it Alpine pizza and made it with pepperoni (bleh!)
    I love the site xx

Darcie — February 21, 2013 @ 12:33 am

Hi Jessica!
    Love the recipe! I use it all the time exactly as the recipe says, but this time I tried it with 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup almond meal. It turned out great! I might even try a 1/2 cup almond meal next time. I also added some garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Super yummy! (Here are pictures of how it turned out: http://writecooktravel.com/2013/02/19/pizza-pizza-pizza/)

Lori @Lori's Culinary Creations — August 4, 2013 @ 9:26 pm

I found this on Pinterest and made the crust last night. I added some garlic powder and Italian Seasoning. Both hubby and I loved it!!!! We topped it with chicken, spinach, mushrooms, cheese and sriracha sauce (hubby’s side) and spinach, mushrooms, cheese, cherry tomatoes and goat cheese on my side. Very good and we’ll for sure make this again!!!

Monika — December 6, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Very excited as I’m making this for dinner tonight! I have made quite a few of your recipes and they always turn out super yummy, so I know I this will be good tonight! yum! thanks!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Easy Homemade Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Homemade French Bread Pizzas. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Grilled Cashew Butter and Blueberry Sandwich « Little Miss Healthify

4. Pingback: Little Miss Healthify

5. Pingback: Happy December « One Step Closer

6. Pingback: We Have Success! « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

7. Pingback: For The Love Of FOOD « Little Miss Healthify

8. Pingback: Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Crust! « heidicakesbakes

9. Pingback: Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza. | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Berries and Goat Cheese Mini Pizza Recipe: Chevre, Fruit & Nut Topping — Family Fresh Cooking

11. Pingback: Chocolate Cherry Ricotta Grilled Pizzas Recipe-Summer Dessert on Grill — Family Fresh Cooking

12. Pingback: Diet Fruit Crostata Recipe-Raspberries, Peach, Apricot, Ricotta Cheese — Family Fresh Cooking

13. Pingback: Thanksgiving Leftover Pizza Recipe: Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese & Figs — Family Fresh Cooking

14. Pingback: Pizza, pizza, pizza! | Write Cook Travel Live