I don’t know if you are aware, but Mr. How Sweet is a runner.

I am not.

I tried running a race with him when we were dating. He almost dumped me.

Let’s just say that patience is not his strong point. And running is not mine.

The thing is… he is fast. He ran his first marathon in 3:40.

We have a treadmill in our basement. When Mr. How Sweet goes downstairs to run intervals, I always get excited about having some peace and quiet to myself. But then the screaming starts.

The man coaches himself. He yells at himself.

Not so peaceful.

But his workout kicks butt.

Mr. How Sweet’s Treadmill Intervals

1 minute at 7.5

1 minute at 9.4

1 minute at 7.5

1 minute at 9.5

2 minutes 6.5

5 minute cool down

This is just the beginner workout. Do this workout 3 times a week. Each week, add on one more interval. The second week, the next interval is at 9.6. The third week, an additional interval at 9.7, and so on…

I find it funny that Mr. How Sweet warms up at 6.5.

I run at 5.0.

27 Responses to “Fitness Kick Start: Mr. How Sweet’s Interval Workout.”

Sara — July 15, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Mr. How Sweet sounds subhuman…in the most awesomely freaky way possible.

Wow.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 15, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

Haha, I’m with you. I like to call myself a runner but in reality I run at the fastest 6.5 and I pretty much stop and walk every five minutes.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 15, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

yikes…that’s hardcore running!

Tina — July 15, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

Whoah! That is intense. I would for sure puke.

rhea (Greek Feaster) — July 15, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

holy. crap.
    your children shall be bionic bacon eaters!

Amy S — July 15, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

Oh my gosh. I would bust my booty trying to do his warm-up!

Julie @ Running Reckless — July 15, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

I love running and am training for a half marathon in Philly in September but that workout would kick my butt!

Rene — July 15, 2010 @ 9:02 pm

DEAR Lord. I can’t run faster than setting the treadmill at 6.0. I blame my short legs. I think I’d look like a cartoon character trying to run this fast. Hehehe.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — July 15, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

Yeah, I’d be screaming too if I ran that!

But what a great interval concept…I’ll have to try it out. Only lowering the mph down a notch. Okay, maybe quite a few notches!

Madeline — July 15, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

Oh my goodness I just about died laughing when I read this because the whole time I was thinking the same thing: He WARMS UP at 6.5.
    I run at 5.0 too. Maybe 5.2 if I’m really feeling amazing that day, but 6.5…HA! Good for him if he can swing it…

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — July 16, 2010 @ 5:33 am

oh my gosh, does he really yell at himself while he runs??? LOL. Oh man, I’ve GOT to start doing that. At the gym. So people think I’m crazy.

This interval workout sounds like a blast! I don’t think i can get up in the 9s but I want to try!

• Jessica — July 16th, 2010 @ 5:37 am

Yes he really does. It is a bit scary.

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — July 16, 2010 @ 6:37 am

Wow. This makes me want to throw up looking at it, let alone run it! It’s impressive! I’d be yelling at myself too!!

Wei-Wei — July 16, 2010 @ 8:15 am

He is freakishly fast. And too much of a runner. I run at 5.0 mph, too.

Wei-Wei

april — July 16, 2010 @ 9:01 am

Haha i love that he yells at himself! But i couldn’t even talk to myself at those levels. 5.0 is fast for me and I always want to die at that level!

• Jessica — July 16th, 2010 @ 9:02 am

That’s probably why it is so scary…he is out of breath when he’s yelling!

Alicia at Poise in Parma — July 16, 2010 @ 9:21 am

I saw 9.5 and nearly passed out, then I saw it was your husband running it! Although I know you could rock that for a minute – I just always pretend Jillian Michaels is yelling at me during those high intervals LOL!

I’m with you: when I’m running, I’m between 5.3 and 5.5 for the most part.

• Jessica — July 16th, 2010 @ 9:24 am

Yeah I could rock it for a minute, but then I’d need to recover at 3.5! He is not human.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — July 16, 2010 @ 10:28 am

yessss I totally yell at myself when I’m running. I’m currently training for a marathon so sometimes I sing too when I get bored on long runs :)

• Jessica — July 16th, 2010 @ 10:31 am

You are awesome.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 16, 2010 @ 11:24 am

All I have to say is WOWIE! That looks like an intense interval workout.. I think it’s so cute/funny that he yells at himself :)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 16, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

AWESOME! I am totally going to do this!!! AWESOME!

Ashley — July 16, 2010 @ 9:02 pm

I believe you should show a photo of yourself flexing after the workout posts.

Kelly Olexa — July 17, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

LOL!! I just started running and I can so relate- was just dying laughing when you said he “warms up at 6.5″ dang!!!

Karla — July 18, 2010 @ 6:58 am

Woah!! that’s intense! I’m going to try this but I’m going to have to take it down a notch. Warming up at 6.5 would be a little too intense for me. I usually keep warm ups anywhere between 5.6 and 6.0.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Fitness Kick Start: Mr. How Sweet’s Interval Workout. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Iron Chef Vacation « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices