I am very deprived.

I have never actually had frozen hot chocolate. I guess I can’t be the best judge here.

But I really, really, really want to try it. Does that count?

Can someone please transport me to New York City so I can try some famous Serendipity frozen hot chocolate?

And while you’re at it, please take me to buy some Christian Louboutin’s. And a fancy purse. And a sugar daddy.

Sorry, Mr. How Sweet. But clearly, I need one. It will save us a lot of money, I promise.

See? I’m full of ideas.

Can I just take a moment to whine about how fabulous this frozen hot chocolate is?

I promise I am not this annoying in person.

(Though judging which family members you ask, that may be debatable.)

It has protein. It has chocolate. It tastes like heaven. And it doesn’t have 8 million calories either.

I’m in love.

Frozen Hot Chocolate – The Healthier Way!

1 cup skim milk (or milk of choice)

1 cup greek yogurt – frozen (freeze for 1-2 hours)

2-3 tablespoons organic cocoa powder

1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon organic sugar (or sweetener of choice)

1 tablespoon reduced-fat chocolate syrup

1 scoop protein powder (optional)

1/4 cup crushed ice

whipped cream or whipped topping

Beforehand, freeze a cup of greek yogurt in the freezer for at least 1-2 hours. Once frozen, add all ingredients except whipped cream to a blender. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes, or until combined.

Top with whipped cream.

I’ll be right back. I have to go water my money tree in the back yard.

100 Responses to “Frozen Hot Chocolate – The Healthier Way!”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — July 8, 2010 @ 4:03 am

If you come to NY I’ll probably have to come with you to get all of those things… especially the shoes. Make sure you pull extra money from your money tree for me! :)

Christie {Honoring Health} — July 8, 2010 @ 4:08 am

Yum. I think I know what I’m having for breakfast.

I mean dessert.

Erica — July 8, 2010 @ 4:20 am

Looks like heaven in a cup to me! Frozen greek yogurt- I must try this! And if you find a sugar daddy…ask him for some $$ for me too- its only fair

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 8, 2010 @ 4:25 am

I’ve never had frozen hot chocolate either, but yours looks just as good as any that I’ve seen on TV!

I totally need a sugar daddy too. My husband would probably agree. :-)

Courtney @ Three Months — July 8, 2010 @ 4:32 am

Oh this looks mighty tasty! :)

amanda — July 8, 2010 @ 4:35 am

I love Serendipity!!! They actually have a frozen peanut butter hot chocolate. So I guess you could add PB2 (powdered peanut butter) to the mix to mock the same. Great idea that you got here!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 8, 2010 @ 4:40 am

And….this post just reconfirmed my love for you. Thankyouverymuch!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 8, 2010 @ 4:45 am

OH! And– I have to post this again, just in case you didn’t get it (I posted it in a reply to you on my blog, but I never know if those go through or not):

Gabriela — July 8, 2010 @ 4:51 am

If you come to New York, I’ll take you to Serendipty AND the Christian Louboutin store. We can even go clubbing and find you a sugar daddy if you’d like :)

• Jessica — July 8th, 2010 @ 4:53 am

You don’t have to twist my arm.

• Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — July 8th, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

Can I come? I ADORE Louboutins!!! And I wouldn’t kick the choclate out of bed ;)

Cara — July 8, 2010 @ 4:53 am

A delicious summer treat!

Julie @ Pickley Pear — July 8, 2010 @ 4:59 am

The perfect protein shake for after a run! Seriously, lots of protein and calcium. Totally trying it!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — July 8, 2010 @ 5:09 am

I’ve never had a frozen hot chocolate either, but they’ve always sounded SO good.
    THIS, however, looks delicious!!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 8, 2010 @ 5:13 am

I’ve never even HEARD of frozen hot chocolate. Does that make ME the weird one?

• Kris — July 10th, 2010 @ 10:37 am

No, you’re not weird at all. When I told my boyfriend that’s what we were having for dessert he asked, “What’s that?” I just laughed. :)

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — July 8, 2010 @ 5:14 am

That looks so good and so easy! I’ve never had frozen hot chocolate but I don’t see how something with that name can be bad.

Jenna — July 8, 2010 @ 5:25 am

That’s kind of like my mini one that I made the other day! – http://chocolatetoosierollpops.blogspot.com/2010/06/out-smarting-swim-cap.html

but mine had cottage cheese in it…i need to try your version now!! :)

Kate @ Cozydelicious — July 8, 2010 @ 5:35 am

Chocolate? Healthy? Oh, yes! I am loving this! I have been on a chocolate milkshake kick, which is so dangerous, but this looks like it might just save me from gaining a dress size!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 8, 2010 @ 5:36 am

I have never had frozen hot chocolate either….sounds really decadent!

Lani — July 8, 2010 @ 5:42 am

very refreshing!

Charlie@CharlieGirlBlog — July 8, 2010 @ 5:47 am

Hi! I’m a first-time commenter…I like how that mind of yours works ;) Can’t wait to try!

Heather — July 8, 2010 @ 5:50 am

i’m making this immediately and adding 12 shots of espresso (sorry, i know you hate coffee) because i’m exhausted! can’t imagine a better pick-me-up though!

Jessica — July 8, 2010 @ 5:51 am

This looks absolutely unbelievable!!!

I could boycott solid foods if I could drink this and milkshakes. :)

Thanks for another great recipe!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 8, 2010 @ 5:56 am

I’ve never had frozen hot chocolate either! But it sounds incredible!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — July 8, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Well I love me some Serendipity frozen hot chocolate but my gosh…I’m so excited you’ve created a more calorie-friendly one!

homecookedem — July 8, 2010 @ 6:09 am

I never would have thought to make frozen hot chocolate!! What a yummy and refreshing treat!! :)

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks — July 8, 2010 @ 6:22 am

I’ve never even heard of frozen hot chocolate!

Jenna — July 8, 2010 @ 6:23 am

This could totally be served for breakfast, right? ;)

Wei-Wei — July 8, 2010 @ 6:38 am

I never think that vanilla-y flavours will go well with sour flavours like that of Greek yogurt. I can never imagine vanilla or chocolate yogurt… In my mind, it just seems wrong. But then again, I can always trust you, right?

Wei-Wei

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 8, 2010 @ 6:38 am

That looks like the perfect treat for these hot days! Definitely need this after my morning walk! You make fun, but I totally watered my money tree this morning!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — July 8, 2010 @ 6:48 am

the frozen hot chocolate in serendipity is INSANE….I think i split it with someone and I didn’t eat the rest of the day haha…I want to make this so bad! the key is def freezing the greek yogurt first! i love it!

The Nifty Foodie — July 8, 2010 @ 6:54 am

OMG how amazing is that? I’ve never tried one but whenever I hear about it, I get jealous. I’m totally going to make this!

Holly — July 8, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Wow- looks so good. My sister & her husband actually just got back from NYC a few weeks ago & they were talking about the Serendipity frozen hot chocolate- I had actually never heard of it until then- but they were also raving about how good it was.

Katie — July 8, 2010 @ 7:06 am

I’ve never even heard of frozen hot chocolate!! I want this and a sugar daddy, too.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — July 8, 2010 @ 7:06 am

you are a genius! totally making this!!!!!!

Abby — July 8, 2010 @ 7:08 am

Grow a tree for me too while you’re at it. Thanks!! :)

Biz — July 8, 2010 @ 7:08 am

I bet I could make that sugar free for myself! Thanks for a great idea :D

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 8, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Seeing as it is supposed to be 112 degrees out today (no joke), this sounds incredible!

Krystle — July 8, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Yum! I have never tried this either but I am always ready to try it healthy! Im with on the trip to NYC and I think I need one of everything you mentioned as well.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 8, 2010 @ 7:24 am

Looks fabulous! I’ve never tried frozen hot chocolate but it sounds (and looks) like a great idea! Can you use regular yogurt too or just Greek yogurt? And does it taste like yogurt or truly like chocolate?

(you see, I have a love-hate relationship with yogurt and only like it in smoothie and if it’s slightly frozen. AND I’ve never tried Greek yogurt).

• Jessica — July 8th, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Yes, you can use regular yogurt.
      I think it tastes like chocolate, but I added the sugar. If you leave the sugar out, it will probably be more tart and taste like yogurt.

Sara — July 8, 2010 @ 7:30 am

Mmmm, I’ve been to the Serendipity in Las Vegas and the peanut butter frozen hot chocolate was instanely good! I need to try this recipe out.

brandi — July 8, 2010 @ 7:39 am

holy crap. I need this!

I’ve got to remember to freeze some greek yogurt. This would be an AWESOME dessert on these super hot summer days.

I’ve never had REAL frozen hot chocolate either. But if you can figure out how to be transported to Serendipity, take me with you! :)

megan — July 8, 2010 @ 7:48 am

oh my goodness. this looks incredible. I’m trying it as soon as I buy more greek yogurt (speaking of that money tree…)

Camille — July 8, 2010 @ 7:49 am

I went to Serendipity with my family a few summers ago and we ordered a sundae and a frozen hot chocolate and honestly, we were a little let down withe hot chocolate! We all agreed that the sundae was so much better… But I bet you’re hot chocolate has theirs beat!

Lisa @ I'm an Oie — July 8, 2010 @ 7:59 am

mmmm yes!!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — July 8, 2010 @ 8:07 am

I’ve never heard of the frozen hot chocolate from serendipity before, but this recipe looks amazing!!!

Teresa B. — July 8, 2010 @ 9:25 am

Wow! Just discovered your blog, and I love your recipes! I’m going to try this one, for sure.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — July 8, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Love this. Just stuck a yogurt in the freezer :)

One Healthy Apple — July 8, 2010 @ 9:49 am

I’ve never had frozen hot chocolate before. I really had no idea what it was, but it now all makes sense.

Yours looks fabulous. I may have to break out the new blender for this one!

Missy Maintains — July 8, 2010 @ 9:54 am

Wow I need this! It’s sad that I live in New York and have never been to Serendipity! You need to come and we will make a big blog meetup there haha.

• Jessica — July 8th, 2010 @ 10:00 am

I’m in!!

Erin @ CelticHeart Designs — July 8, 2010 @ 9:56 am

How much do you charge for delivering to PA lol! That looks soooo good!

Kristina — July 8, 2010 @ 10:08 am

I’ve been to NYC many times, and NEVER went to Serendipity… I think I want to keep the wonder in my mind…

(I have, however, purchased their mix and made mine at home… LOVE)

yours looks delicious. I love the addition of protein + yogurt.

You? are a genius. I’m sure I’ve told you that before ;)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Frozen Hot Chocolate – The Healthier Way! | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Smooth and Sloppy «