It’s no secret that I love peanut butter.

If I was stranded on a desert island and could only take 3 things, a jar of nut butter and a spoon would be 2 of them. I haven’t quite figured out the 3rd yet. It’s a toss up between bacon and my favorite pair of shoes.

When I make nut butters at home, I rarely make plain, boring ones. I like fun flavors. I don’t do ‘plain.’ Plain makes me cry. Take a look.

Salted Chocolate Pecan Butter

This one is my favorite. Don’t hate it because it’s beautiful.

Pistachio Coconut Butter

This one here may be an ugly duckling, but I promise she makes up for it. The pistachio-coconut combo is a fabulous one. The only way to get rid of the ugliness is to eat the entire batch. It works, I promise.

Chocolate Cherry Almond Butter

I hate almond butter. There, I said it. I think almond butter is bland, not sweet enough for me, and tastes like hot garbage. But I love this homemade version. Probably because there is chocolate in it.

Vanilla Cinnamon Pecan Butter

Hello, perfect pecan butter. Aren’t pecans the least healthy nut you can eat? They are kind of like the corn of vegetables. That must be why I love them so much.

What is your favorite non-peanut butter nut butter? I find that making them at home is quick and delicious. Yes, you need the mother of food processors. No, your mini food processor may not work. But it might catch on fire. As long as you have the proper equipment, the process is fast and painless.

Any homemade nut butters you are dying to try? I would love to try Ashley’s salt-kissed cashew butter. Her cocoa-coco pnat butter is incredible, too.

76 Responses to “Homemade Nut Butter Love.”

Erica — July 15, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Oh delicious post. Nut butter, spoon…I’d go with bacon. You probably won’t need the shoes ;) I think I told you this last time you posted nut butters…but I made a cinnamon walnut- I want to make it again. Delicious. Maybe add a little maple to it as well this go round

amanda — July 15, 2010 @ 4:09 am

Have you ever had MaraNatha No Stir Almond butter? That stuff is very delicious and I can eat it by the jar full.

• Jessica — July 15th, 2010 @ 4:11 am

I have! Just not really a fan of almond butter.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 15, 2010 @ 4:10 am

I’ve only ever tried one almond butter thus far and I didn’t really like it. So I’m not sure which nut butter I like the best aside from pb! Your flavored nut butters look so awesome though!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 15, 2010 @ 4:12 am

Ok, do I live under a rock? I’ve been a making my own almond and peanut butters but I haven’t played around with flavors. That being said, my brother gave me some amazing local honey yesterday and I’m now thinking honey peanut butter sounds incredible. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Jessica — July 15th, 2010 @ 4:21 am

That is a fabulous idea!

Marilou — July 15, 2010 @ 4:15 am

I never tried to do my own … which is stupid since it’s way more cheaper and probably delicious! Will try

Melinda — July 15, 2010 @ 4:18 am

I would love to try and make some chocolate almond butter. I have not made any at home, but as part of our from scratch weekends, I plan to make some soon.

Marisa (Loser for Life) — July 15, 2010 @ 4:18 am

Chocolate Cherry Almond Butter?!!! I must have missed that one! Oh no. But now, I know. This could be bad. Very, very bad :|

Jil — July 15, 2010 @ 4:19 am

That chocolate cherry almond butter is just calling to me.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 15, 2010 @ 4:44 am

This all looks delicious… but no matter the nut butter, I’m a plain PB gal.

I know… boring…

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 15, 2010 @ 4:53 am

I say we call a truce – You lay off me about the brie and I won’t verbally abuse on your own blog for now liking almond butter :wink: Maybe if I weren’t too lazy to clean my food processor, I would make some of these outstanding nut butters. The coconut pistachio looks so intriguing. Pecans are my favorite nut too, so don’t feel bad!

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches — July 15, 2010 @ 4:53 am

Actually, I am here to report that you definitely CAN use your mini food processor to make nut butters. I’ve done it several times (and made a ton of awesome nut butters like chocolate hazelnut butter, honey cashew-coconut butter, and gingerbread cookie walnut butter, etc), and while the mini sometimes gets very cranky with me, he hasn’t yet set on fire, even after all the duress I’ve put it under. You just have to make sure you don’t overload him, and give him plenty of water breaks. Like an athlete in training….

• Jessica — July 15th, 2010 @ 4:57 am

Oh that is great news!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 15, 2010 @ 4:54 am

P.S. LOVE that you would rather have bacon or shoes on said island instead of Mr. How Sweet. Haha!

Gabriela — July 15, 2010 @ 5:01 am

I’d have to say the salted pecan butter would be my favorite. Because, well, sugar + nuts + chocolate + salt = love. I wish I had a food processor that was actually up to the task!!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — July 15, 2010 @ 5:04 am

LOL! “Hot garbage.” Wow, you seriously hate almond butter! I know this is crazy, but I’ve never tried it! And what are your favorite pair of shoes, btw?

• Jessica — July 15th, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Don’t make me choose!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 15, 2010 @ 5:13 am

I mix honey and cinnamon into my peanut butter all the time. If I had a money tree I would eat cashew butter like it was my job.

Sara — July 15, 2010 @ 5:23 am

Wow, all of those look great! And it’s refreshing to see someone NOT sing almond butter’s praises…I mean, it’s good, but I like peanut butter SO much more.

Sarah R — July 15, 2010 @ 5:26 am

Who needs a spoon?! Use your finger then you can take bacon and the shoes! I made Ashley’s Maple Cinnamon Almond butter and it is delicious. I also make plain cashew butter that my husband devours.

• Jessica — July 15th, 2010 @ 6:26 am

You are one smart cookie.

Carly — July 15, 2010 @ 5:29 am

I love Ashley’s maple cinnamon almond butter. I add some vanilla while roasting the almonds and it is delicious. Actually, I usually just roast the almonds that way to eat whole :)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 15, 2010 @ 5:30 am

Almond butter is my absolute favorite!!! But I am a crunchy girl…I don’t like smooth nut butters. A texture thing??

Heather — July 15, 2010 @ 5:43 am

i hate almond butter too…unless it has a ton of sugar and flavor, i’m not touching it. well, unless it’s on carrots. then it’s good.

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — July 15, 2010 @ 5:47 am

OMG I thought I was the only one on the planet who hated almond butter. I’m totally going to try making your chocolate cherry almond butter. I should probably try other varieties before completely writing off all nut butters that aren’t peanut…

Tina — July 15, 2010 @ 6:06 am

I think the Vanilla Cinnamon Pecan is so good. Making your own is such a great way to have variety.

Camille — July 15, 2010 @ 6:11 am

I have been wanting to make my own nut butters so badly but I don’t have a food processor even close to powerful enough! It is on my birthday list though :)

Matt — July 15, 2010 @ 6:15 am

I am totally going to try that salted pecan butter! I love salt, pecans, and chocolate. It just seems natural ;)

homecookedem — July 15, 2010 @ 6:19 am

Nut butter has been a huge aversion to me since being preggo, but that chocolate pecan butter looks really good!!!!!!!

Abby — July 15, 2010 @ 6:23 am

I just bought raw almonds for some nut buttery goodness!

MelissaNibbles — July 15, 2010 @ 6:41 am

You’re speaking my language with the vanilla cinnamon!

Kelly — July 15, 2010 @ 6:44 am

Oh I need to try this! I think half of my diet is made up of nut butter!! :)

Allison — July 15, 2010 @ 6:45 am

I’m glad someone agrees with me about almond butter! If nut butter isn’t sweet, what’s the point??

Maria — July 15, 2010 @ 6:48 am

Great idea to make it at home!

Wei-Wei — July 15, 2010 @ 6:55 am

BOOKMARKED. No matter how much Skippy my mother buys, I will insist on making my own. I’ve never tried anything but PB!

Wei-Wei

Jocelyn — July 15, 2010 @ 7:04 am

mmmm…your nut butters look so amazing :)

I love almond butter… especially smooth maranatha! I guess that is cheating to buy it…but it is so good hehe. I also like justin’s honey almond butter or maple almond butter. Soooo good.

Blond Duck — July 15, 2010 @ 7:05 am

I’m still trying to figure out how to combine caramel and PB or butterscotch and PB into a tasty dessert.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 15, 2010 @ 7:31 am

That vanilla pecan cinnamon butter looks amazing!!

Angela — July 15, 2010 @ 7:42 am

I do not own a food processor, but I might buy one just from looking at this post. Seriously, the salted chocolate and vanilla ciinnamon pecan butters are making my mouth water. Yum.

Claudine — July 15, 2010 @ 7:44 am

I’d go with 2 jars of PB and a spoon :)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) — July 15, 2010 @ 7:50 am

YUM! These all look fabulous. I’ve been meaning to make my own nut butters and these all look so perfect, especially the chocolate cherry almond butter! It might be dangerous for me to have a jar of that in my house.

Paula — July 15, 2010 @ 7:51 am

wow! I feel hungry :)

Mellissa — July 15, 2010 @ 8:03 am

I will take any kind of nutbutter but have been loving Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower Butter.

Eliana — July 15, 2010 @ 8:04 am

I’m crazy over nuts so I’m lovin all these butters baby!

Ashley — July 15, 2010 @ 8:32 am

LOL about the mini food proc! Thanks for the shout out ;) Yummmmm to fancy nut butts!

Jenna — July 15, 2010 @ 8:57 am

You are killing me with these photos of nut butter! The salted chocolate pecan butter looks pretty spectacular. I’ve never actually tried making my own, I should get on that!

Yum Yucky — July 15, 2010 @ 9:08 am

I’ll pick the pecan one! But I’m also in a walnut craze that the moment. Are walnuts used for this kinda thing too?

• Jessica — July 15th, 2010 @ 9:23 am

Brittany — July 15, 2010 @ 10:21 am

That looks so good!!! I have to say Shoes… : ) …but peanut butter is the number one thing that goes at my house!!!

great pics!!!

thedayjustbegan.blogspot.com
    *kiddo giveaway today!

Erin @ CelticHeart Designs — July 15, 2010 @ 10:30 am

One order for the Vanilla Cinnamon Pecan Butter please. MMM that would be so good on cinnamon raisin bread.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 15, 2010 @ 10:32 am

I knew you made these but I didnt fully realize how many varieties you have! NICE

Oh when i was with marla yesterday she said she’s friends with picky-palate and i went to her site and you were like her first commenter, should have known LOL I guess she’s also a so cal girl.

Off to lift & dentist, crazy day :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — July 15, 2010 @ 11:05 am

hahah I love that analogy that pecans are the corn of vegatbles! i acutally don’t know how pecans rate to other nuts, but they are darn good! you know what I love? the salt and sweet pecans from TJ’s! OMGGGG

Jen @ Tip Top Shape — July 15, 2010 @ 11:50 am

The pistachio-coconut nut butter looks amazing! Or rather, I bet it tastes amazing. The green color is definitely a bit ominous. :)

Sami — July 15, 2010 @ 11:54 am

Okay…honestly, how is it that you do not weigh like 132909243098 pounds???? I know if I could conjure up stuff like that, I’d be an elerphant because my lack of self control would cause me to demolish every last morsel of that quicker than you can blink :) Haha. You’re SO talented!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — July 15, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

That pecan butter sounds amazing!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Homemade Nut Butter Love. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com