I think that there are many different names for ‘hoagies,’ though I can’t be sure since I have not ventured too far outside of my bubble. What do you call them?

I had a tough time deciding if I should name them ‘hoagies’ or ‘subs,’ so feel free to insert whatever word you would like to use.

Regardless of what may you call them, they are super delicious. You can’t even tell that they are healthier than your run-of-the-mill meatball sub.

Obviously, given the ratio of meat to bread in this dish, Mr. How Sweet is a huge fan.

Once I piled on the cheese (and skimped on the tomato sauce), so was I.

This week has been full of Italian feasts.

On Monday, Mr. How Sweet took it upon himself to make a large batch of chicken parmesan. He likes to make manly meals to snack on throughout the week. And when I say ‘he likes to make,’ I really mean he begs me to make them. But this time he tried it all on his own. I asked if he used my recipe, and he responded that I didn’t have a recipe since I had never made chicken parmesan for him before. Oh, really?

Interesting.

He doesn’t remember what happened 5 minutes ago, unless it involves NASCAR, horse racing, Hank Williams Jr, or steak.

When it came time to whip up these chicken meatballs, these light chicken meatballs, I grabbed the brand-spanking new bottle of olive oil out of the pantry, only to realize that the bottle was already half-gone.

If you can’t quite come up with the visual, that is a lot of olive oil.

Mr. How Sweet used Bobby Flay’s recipe when making the chicken parmesan, and accidentally used two cups of olive oil instead of one.

And this is a perfect example of why he does not do any of the cooking in our house.

The place still smells like a deep fryer and my clothes stink of oil. In fact, I think the air alone is moisturizing my skin.

Chicken Meatballs

1 pound ground chicken

2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil

Heat skillet on medium heat. Add one tablespoon olive oil.

Mix chicken with remaining ingredients. Form into meatballs about 1 1/2 inches thick. Brown in pan on all sides until cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Makes about 8-10 meatballs.

Meatball Hoagies

3 whole wheat buns

3/4 cup tomato sauce

3 ounces low-fat, shredded provolone

Add 3-4 meatballs to each bun, topping with a 1/4 cup of tomato sauce each. Preheat the broiler and top hoagies with one ounce of cheese each. Place under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 1-2 minutes.

Needless to say, this dish is a bit lighter than Mr. How Sweet’s chicken parmesan that he swears is loaded with healthy fat.

And my house doesn’t stink like an oil pit.

61 Responses to “Lightened-Up Chicken Meatball Hoagies.”

Erica — July 7, 2010 @ 4:14 am

haha 2 cups! That is a lot of olive oil. Josh does similar things when cooking….so I usually just assume all cooking duties. Great subs. I often make turkey meatball subs for the man. He loves them. I will have to try it with ground chicken next time. Hope you’re having a good week

Jil — July 7, 2010 @ 4:18 am

Ohh – that bubbly cheese looks amazing!

Fit Chick in the City — July 7, 2010 @ 4:27 am

I had never even heard of the word “hoagie” until I moved to the NE. I still think it’s a funny word.

• Jessica — July 7th, 2010 @ 4:50 am

I think it’s a funny word, too!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 7, 2010 @ 4:50 am

Healthy fat?! I love it!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 7, 2010 @ 4:52 am

My husband would marry me all over again if I made this for him :)

homecookedem — July 7, 2010 @ 4:55 am

So weird, b/c I NEVER crave a meatball sub… I mean never. But within the past week, I’ve all of a sudden been wanting one more and more!!!!! Your lightened up version is the answer to my prayers!! ;) Yummmm!! :)

Sophie @ yumventures — July 7, 2010 @ 4:59 am

My boyfriend is going to love this!! So funny about Mr. Sweet. My boyfriend can handle himself around the kitchen, but only if it comes to pancake flipping or chili.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 7, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I hate the smell of grease in the house! Great idea on the chicken meatballs. I haven’t done chicken parm in a while. I need to get on that. I think I stopped cooking all my usuals when my husband was diagnosed with celiac. Now I need to start really working on more of the oldies again! Have a great day Jessica!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 7, 2010 @ 5:17 am

Yum! This looks awesome! This fits right in with my summer sandwich kick!

Trish — July 7, 2010 @ 5:27 am

Ah…the ol’ hoagie vs. sub debate…we use “hoagie” for cold ones and “subs” for hot ones! Either way, this one looks good :)

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — July 7, 2010 @ 5:33 am

These look great! I love when and old classic can be healthified, and still with a husband’s approval!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — July 7, 2010 @ 5:42 am

We call it “heros” in NY, I never even heard it called a different word until I went to college in RI and they called it mostly subs. This sandwich looks so good! I love how you used chicken instead of beef.

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — July 7, 2010 @ 5:43 am

Hoagie, sub, who cares – these look delicious! And yay for the chicken meatball recipe…I’m always looking for a lighter version – these look great – so much flavor!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 7, 2010 @ 5:49 am

I definitely call them subs – not hoagies! Haha. I heard hoagie the first time I went to college and thought it was the funniest thing ever. Anyway, I enjoy my turkey meatballs a lot, but never actually thought to put them in a sub. Kind of silly, but maybe I’ll do that soon. Something about a hot bowl of spaghetti just doesn’t sound appetizing in the summer!

brandi — July 7, 2010 @ 6:10 am

mmmm…so cheesy.

My husband has asked for some type of hoagie/philly steak or chicken sandwich soon, and this just reminded me of it! I need to put something together on my menu plan for next week.

Matt — July 7, 2010 @ 6:18 am

Those look simply amazing :)

Mellissa — July 7, 2010 @ 6:26 am

I am a meatball hoagie virgin but this looks tasty enough that I might need to try them :)

Yum Yucky — July 7, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Ooo. I wanna come over on deep fryer night at yo’ house. Please?

Lindsay — July 7, 2010 @ 7:03 am

Two cups of olive oil? That’s too funny! P doesn’t even follow recipes. He just dumps in whatever he things will be good and rolls with it. He also cooks everything on high. Nice, right?

• Jessica — July 7th, 2010 @ 7:29 am

My husband also cooks EVERYTHING on high. Everything.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 7, 2010 @ 7:08 am

When I was younger I was ALL about the meatball sub from Subway. I have a feeling this is a smidge healthier…

Angela — July 7, 2010 @ 7:27 am

I definitely call them Hoagies, but I’m a Philly girl and nothing else feels right. This hoagie is making me crave WaWa, they make the best meatball hoagies in the North East!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 7, 2010 @ 7:29 am

i have a hard time putting “hoagie” on stuff too…

these look ridiculous! i love ground chicken…i think it’s actually my favorite ground meat. SO amazing!

kay (eating machine) — July 7, 2010 @ 7:29 am

mmm josh loves meatball subs. but i made the mistake of buying the costco meatballs which are the most delcious meatballs ever. and the most fatty. he refuses to have anything else.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — July 7, 2010 @ 7:59 am

Those pretty much sound amazing!!
    And 2 cups?! Men.

Wei-Wei — July 7, 2010 @ 8:04 am

O_O two cups of olive oil is more oil than I consume in a month, probably. I’m not a big oil consumer, I’ll be honest. BUT. I have never had “hoagies” before, but I guess I’ve had subs before? :P

Wei-Wei

Kacy — July 7, 2010 @ 8:13 am

I think this might be perfect for my new meat-eating life! Looks delish!

janetha — July 7, 2010 @ 8:34 am

deliciousssss!

Gabriela — July 7, 2010 @ 9:00 am

They’re hoagies. Duh :) Especially if they’re from anywhere within 100 miles of Philadelphia!

Nicole, RD — July 7, 2010 @ 9:49 am

Those look awwwesome! I am on a huge spicy meat kick right now! I had a spicy Italian chicken sausage last night for dinner! YUM!

Crystal — July 7, 2010 @ 9:53 am

Yum, these look fab…though it might be all the cheese! I’m a cheese lover!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 7, 2010 @ 9:58 am

We don’t call them hoagie’s in Canada (well, Saskatchewan anyway), so I guess it would be a sub!

The hubby is hilarious! 2 cups of oil!!!???

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 7, 2010 @ 10:10 am

Looks delicious and I definitely call them HOAGIES! My husband calls them subs though but I just think hoagies is a much more fun word :)

Blond Duck — July 7, 2010 @ 10:11 am

I was just craving turkey meatballs! You’ve inspired me!

Katie — July 7, 2010 @ 10:47 am

I love making meatballs – they’re so perfect to keep in the fridge and throw into sandwiches, on salads, into my mouth. Love.

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) — July 7, 2010 @ 10:54 am

That looks awesome! I just found your blog and am your newest follower : )
    Check out my blog too! Thanks

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — July 7, 2010 @ 11:14 am

haha healthy fats in chicken parm-too funny! these look So good! i love chicken meatballs but acutally never tride them in a meatball hoagie form! i mustttt

One Healthy Apple — July 7, 2010 @ 11:37 am

Mr How Sweet is pretty smart there with the healthy fats! I am loving the logic here.

Your meatball subs sound great. I don’t use the term hoagie. I don’t know if it’s a California thing, or a me thing!

vanillasugar — July 7, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

oh i just love chicken meatballs. you done them just right girl!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) — July 7, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

I *just* bookmarked this recipe. Once the weather chills off a little bit, I’m making these. They look perfectly wonderful. :D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 7, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

stinking like an oil pit..girl i HATE the smell of food smells that linger in my house. another reason i swear im a high raw vegan..i dont cook anything that stinks things up LOL
    xo

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — July 7, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

You’ve made my day! I’ve been trying to find a healthy meatball recipe for weeks now. I usually buy the frozen turkey meatballs from TJ’s and the price adds up fast. I like mine drizzled with some BBQ sauce on top. Saving this recipe!

april — July 7, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

Those look so so good! I love meatballs.. I’m not sure why they are better than regular meatloaf or meat, but somehow they always taste better and are more fun to eat!

Lisa @bakebikeblog — July 7, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

My oh my – now if only I could find a wheat-free bun!!!
    Looks positively delicious!

amanda — July 7, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Ohhh those look way better than any place I ever had seen a meatball sub.

La Gourmandesse — July 7, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

Wow. Those are fantastic. Hello Friday’s dinner!

momgateway — July 7, 2010 @ 8:27 pm

…chicken meatballs are so tricky to make but yours look so moist and just so delicious!

Barbara Bakes — July 7, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

lol – sounds like Mr. How Sweet and my hubs would get along perfectly. This would be a fabulous meal.

CaSaundra — July 8, 2010 @ 6:19 am

We call them subs here; but regardless of what you call em, they look delish like you said!

carol — July 8, 2010 @ 7:46 am

I made these last night for dinner bc I just couldnt resist once i saw them and they were soooo tasty and easy! My bf and i just loved them. Thanks

Ingrid — July 8, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

My hubby will definately love this…and I bet he won’t even notice it’s ground chicken! ;)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Lightened-Up Chicken Meatball Hoagies. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: The Best Meatball… – Sprinkle Joy.

3. Pingback: Chicken Meatballs | Home Recipes Catalog