I have an intense obsession.

Coconut, in all forms, is my kryptonite.

I can’t contain myself around it. And I like it that way.

If you love macaroons, you will adore this granola.

I promise that it tastes just like a macaroon. Maybe it even tastes better.

It’s possible.

My lack of self control around granola is despicable.

Scratch that – it’s nonexistent.

Coconut + granola in one? I’m screwed.

Last night, I found myself elbows deep in macaroon granola. Moping around in my elastic-waistband pants, I shoveled handfuls from the pan to my mouth. Then I proceeded to watch a Jersey Shore marathon, make 3 more batches of granola, clean our bathrooms with a toothbrush and dream about spray tans.

I’m not sure what that means, but please send help.

And some wine, too. I think it will go great with the granola.

Macaroon Granola

2 cups rolled oats

1/4 cup wheat germ

1/4 cup ground flaxseed

1 cup shredded coconut

1/2 cup chopped almonds

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon coconut extract

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

contents of 1/2 vanilla bean

1/4 cup honey

1/2 cup coconut oil, liquid

1/4 cup coconut butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375.

In a large bowl, combine oats, flax, wheat germ, coconut, sea salt and almonds. In a separate bowl, combine coconut oil with honey and extracts.  Add oil mixture to oat mixture and stir until moistened. Add scraped vanilla beans and coconut butter, mixing thoroughly.

Lay on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes, or until golden brown and toasty.

If you need me, I’ll be at the mall buying bigger jeans.

With a snack-bag full of granola.

93 Responses to “Macaroon Granola.”

Erica — July 21, 2010 @ 4:00 am

mmmmmmmmm coconut. I always put a chunk of it in my granola- amazing. Love the additions of the coconut extract and butter too. Darn it – there was a jersey shore marathon on? I totally missed it! Bah!

Eliana — July 21, 2010 @ 4:04 am

I am right there with you girl with your coconut obsession. I too love coconut in all forms so it may be best for me to NOT make this granola for fear of eating an entire batch in one sitting. It looks awesome.

Jennifer @ maple n cornbread — July 21, 2010 @ 4:04 am

Genius!!! I love macaroons and in sweet granola form for breakfast or snack? perfection!!! :)

Lynn @ The Next Chapter — July 21, 2010 @ 4:06 am

Oh YUM! This looks delish, I love coconut too! I am definitely going to make this recipe.

Marilou — July 21, 2010 @ 4:24 am

I use to hate coconut … WTF? I hate past me so MUCH … Come on .. it IS good ..!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 21, 2010 @ 4:33 am

BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!

Macaroon granola sounds like heaven!!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 21, 2010 @ 4:34 am

Mmmmmm…yes, coconut in ALL forms is good. I buy coconut body products, and then I literally have to keep from licking myself. Seriously.

Kara @ MyWellnest — July 21, 2010 @ 4:47 am

yum yum yum. I love granola. Now I want some!

Did you get a spray tan in your dream? haha

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — July 21, 2010 @ 4:50 am

Where do you come up with these friggin’ amazing ideas!? I have a little ‘thing’ for coconut myself (is rubbing myself with coconut oil every day a problem?) and this is my kind of granola!

emptynutjar — July 21, 2010 @ 4:51 am

I am obsessessed with coconut flakes. I add them to yogurts, cereals, oatmeals…I even put them on salads for added taste.

Carly — July 21, 2010 @ 5:00 am

I feel you on the coconut obsession! For the life of me I CANNOT find coconut extract!!! Where did you find it? Thanks :)

• Jessica — July 21st, 2010 @ 6:30 am

Really? Mine is in my local grocery story near the spices and other extracts. If you can find it there, I’m sure you could find it at stores like Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 21, 2010 @ 5:06 am

Ha! I would need bigger jeans if I cooked as well as you!

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks — July 21, 2010 @ 5:13 am

and i was just thinking i need to make another batch of granola. and coconut is my second love. behind chocolate. done!

Gabriela — July 21, 2010 @ 5:19 am

Granola is my kryptonite. I can never stop eating it…especially if it’s coconut flavored! I want to make this, but I’m kind of scared that I’ll eat the batch in one sitting :/

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — July 21, 2010 @ 5:21 am

Can you buy me a new pair of jeans when you’re out? Yum!

xo
    Kris

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 21, 2010 @ 5:26 am

This would be extremely dangerous in my house….like eat the entire batch in one sitting dangerous.

Stephanie — July 21, 2010 @ 5:27 am

omg girl i have a serious coconut obsession too, this looks so good!!!!

Heather — July 21, 2010 @ 5:27 am

i swear you’re trying to make me fat :)

Evan Thomas — July 21, 2010 @ 5:32 am

I would like 2 huge scoops of that, please

brandi — July 21, 2010 @ 5:39 am

ooh, I love the idea of using coconut oil, butter AND actual coconut! Great idea! I think I’d have trouble with this, too :)

Meghan@travelwinedine — July 21, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Mmmm coconut is so amazing. It always adds something special to a recipe!

Tracy — July 21, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Haha. The granola sounds wonderful; love toasted coconut!

Jenna — July 21, 2010 @ 6:18 am

Granola is one of my kryptonite’s. Seriously, I think I could eat at least 2 cups if I was let loose. I’ve tried making granola from scratch once and it was a major FAIL! Burnt granola, smoke… yes, it wasn’t pretty. Maybe the second time is the charm?

• Jessica — July 21st, 2010 @ 6:29 am

I think the key is to flip it every few minutes – I have had it burn too. You really need to watch it.

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — July 21, 2010 @ 6:28 am

Oh we ADORE granola and always add coconut…but the coconut extract, the butter, the oil…we have so been under-utilizing the coconut factor! This stuff would vanish in our house!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — July 21, 2010 @ 6:33 am

This looks SO good! I love coconut in granola, but here it seems like the coconut IS the granola – which is fantastic. I tend to eat granola by the handful as a snack and I’m thinking that adding some banana chips here would make it even more snack-like (and is there anything better than banana and coconut?)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 21, 2010 @ 6:44 am

Why oh why is granola is good? I’ve been trying not to make it as much because I can go through a batch myself in just a few days. Yikes.

Holly — July 21, 2010 @ 6:59 am

You always make me laugh so hard at your posts- especially everything about ‘moping around in your elastic waistband pants’ & buying bigger jeans- you are just too funny :D
    That granola looks fantastic!! I’m about to hunt thru your recipes for an idea for tonight’s dinner…since I have NO DOUBT anything you have on here is beyond delicious!!!
    Oh, & thanks for the tip about the mangos- I’ll have to check the store today for some..and then let them sit for a while :)

• Jessica — July 21st, 2010 @ 7:01 am

You are welcome! Let me know if you end up making anything tonight. :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 21, 2010 @ 7:08 am

YUM! We LOVE coconut and granola!!! I have been making granola and cereal here like a mad woman! This looks delicious!!!

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) — July 21, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Wow, this granola sounds so amazing! I love just about anything coconut, especially in macaroon form. :)

tanyasdaily — July 21, 2010 @ 7:14 am

Looks really good!

Matt — July 21, 2010 @ 7:37 am

That seriously looks amazing! Granola is a total weakness of mine. I just can’t get enough of the stuff ;)

Camille — July 21, 2010 @ 7:39 am

I can’t make granola any more because it causes me to expand at a rapid pace.

Kacy — July 21, 2010 @ 7:45 am

I don’t understand people who don’t like coconut. This sounds amazing!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 21, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Oh goodness. If I “like” macaroons….try obsessed. Are you going to HLS? If there is anyone I would love to meet, it is so you!! I feel as though we would be fast friends, as we stuff our faces with chocolate.

Wei-Wei — July 21, 2010 @ 7:58 am

Sniff. I can’t share your infatuation with coconut… or granola. But mainly that second one because I haven’t had it in a while. :P

Wei-Wei

rachel — July 21, 2010 @ 8:01 am

oh. my. goodness. i love you! this looks amazing and i’m going to make it soon :D

Ashley — July 21, 2010 @ 8:14 am

Sometimes when I open your blog and read the title, I pause and think….really?? Did she just go there?? :) YUm.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — July 21, 2010 @ 8:15 am

Sounds like perfection! I think I could have a whole bookmark session dedicated to you!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 21, 2010 @ 8:39 am

That is a whole lot of coconut which means I would LOVE it!!

Paula — July 21, 2010 @ 8:45 am

what a coconut madness! :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — July 21, 2010 @ 9:21 am

Yay for coconut!! Sounds wonderful!! I made your honey ginger chicken last night and the hubs and I loved it!

Sonja {ActiveFoodie} — July 21, 2010 @ 9:22 am

That looks INSANELY delicious! I loooooooove coconut too, coconut everything please! (I always stole the AlmondJoys from the variety candy bags!) I would put this granola on top of EVERYTHING!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — July 21, 2010 @ 9:25 am

Looking good :) and wine goes well with everything ;)

Kristina — July 21, 2010 @ 9:29 am

you are hilarious :) thanks, I needed that laugh today.

this granola??? Genius. You are also a genius.

Angela — July 21, 2010 @ 9:33 am

Okay, I am dying to try this recipe. Just one question, where can I find coconut oil and coconut butter? Please, I’m begging you, give a girl a break. Haha!

• Jessica — July 21st, 2010 @ 9:36 am

Coconut oil I can find even in my grocery store. You can also try health stores, I know that even GNC has it.

Coconut butter I find at Whole Foods. I use Artisana. If you can’t find it you can order online!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 21, 2010 @ 9:33 am

Coconut extract!!!! I have been missing out on something!

Abby — July 21, 2010 @ 9:54 am

I need to invest in some elastic waistband pants. Aside from my running shorts—because it simply feels wrong as I stuff my face in my Nike Tempo shorts. No.. I need something like sweatpants with elastic around the waist AND the ankles. Oh yea.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — July 21, 2010 @ 10:22 am

i want your cookbook… NOW.

homecookedem — July 21, 2010 @ 10:25 am

I used to hate coconut and macaroons but all of a sudden I’m crazy about macaroons!! This granola looks incredibly delicious!

Don’t you love when Paula Deen says “Grab your stretchy britches, yall!” haha, omg, love her!! :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — July 21, 2010 @ 10:56 am

Holy moly!! that looks and sounds sooooo good! i have none of those coconut ingredients, though :( but why dont youjust make me some and I can come over and eat it :) we can watch jersey shore together while we munch!!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Macaroon Granola - Coconut and Vanilla | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Morning Sunshine. | How Sweet It Is