I couldn’t stay away from the muffins for very long.

But I have good reason.

It’s the peaches. They make me do crazy things.

I adore peaches. And I only get approximately 10 ‘good’ ones during the season. By ‘good,’ I mean they are ripe and juicy and sweet, but firm and not mushy. Those are my perfect peaches. They make my mouth water. There is nothing like a good peach.

There is also nothing like a bad peach. I have already had my share of those this year. But let’s not talk about those.

Adding handful after handful of succulent peaches to the batter was a challenge. I just wanted to shovel them into my mouth. I do not do well with self-control.

These muffins taste like pie. They also test my self-control, or lack thereof.

Maybe it’s the outrageous amount of peaches I added. Maybe it’s the cinnamon. Maybe it’s my imagination.

But I promise they are delicious. They are also creamy and sweet. Peaches and cream, anyone?

Peach Pie Muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chopped, fresh peaches

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin cups in muffin tins.

Mix sugar, applesauce, yogurt and egg until creamy. Add vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir until completely smooth. Fold in peaches. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Top with course sugar.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until toothpick poked in center muffin comes out clean.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I must go continue my peach binge. Peach season won’t last forever.

86 Responses to “Peach Pie Muffins.”

Wei-Wei — July 6, 2010 @ 4:12 am

My mom wouldn’t let me make these. She thinks the peaches are too precious and should be appreciated on their own. I’ve never heard of peach pie, but it sounds awesome. :D

Wei-Wei

Erica — July 6, 2010 @ 4:15 am

Couldn’t agree more with your notion that there is nothing like a good peach and nothing like a bad peach :) The muffin recipe is fantastic- pretty healthy! I want to make a batch this weekend if I can find some good peaches :)

Blond Duck — July 6, 2010 @ 4:19 am

You would go nuts down here. We had a huge crop of peaches in Fredericksburg and every weekend there’s a roadside stand every couple miles overflowing with rosy peaches.

Julie @ Pickley Pear — July 6, 2010 @ 4:32 am

You are so right – peach season is way too short. They are amazing right now! Thanks for a fab recipe that I am going to try today, or once I go buy whole wheat pastry flour!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — July 6, 2010 @ 4:33 am

I love that these muffins are healthy and they would def count as a serving (or 2) of fruit for the day right? :)

Katrina — July 6, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Aww yeah. These look so good! I’ve had tons of good peaches this year – thank goodness for that!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 6, 2010 @ 4:46 am

I could so go for one of these right now! They look delicious!

Heather — July 6, 2010 @ 4:47 am

Yum, and look at the beautiful blush on those peaches!
    Perfectly beautiful muffins!

Simply Life — July 6, 2010 @ 4:54 am

I’ve never baked with peaches – those look amazing!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 6, 2010 @ 4:57 am

I love a good peach! We used to get huge baskets of them when we went to North Carolina during the summer. I swear I ate them until I just couldn’t have another peach! These look delicious! Love the pink bowl you used to mix them up. I am a sucker for cute mixing bowls.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 6, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Ohhhh, you know you just made me swoon. Peach pie…my favorite summertime dessert. Reminds me of my grandmother :-)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 6, 2010 @ 5:44 am

I am now craving peaches, thankyouverymuch!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — July 6, 2010 @ 5:49 am

Those look amazing!

Cara — July 6, 2010 @ 5:49 am

I adore peaches as well…but it really sucks when you get a flavorless, grainy piece of mush…Boo!

CaSaundra — July 6, 2010 @ 5:55 am

Yay for more muffins!! I used to love Peaches n Cream Quaker oatmeal when I was younger–these remind me of that!

• Jessica — July 6th, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Oh my gosh I loved that stuff so much. I still do! I used to eat it every single morning growing up. So yummy.

• Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — July 6th, 2010 @ 6:36 am

I was obsessed with that flavor too! I would eat all of them first out of the variety pack or I would hide them in the cupboard, and my sister would be pissed!

homecookedem — July 6, 2010 @ 6:03 am

I love peaches!! I’m surprised I’ve never made peach muffins before. I want to make these!!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 6, 2010 @ 6:11 am

Totally agree about peaches. So sweet and succulent.

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks — July 6, 2010 @ 6:14 am

Oh man, I admire your ability to put good, ripe peaches in these muffins!! They can be so hard to come by! I wonder if I could use some frozen peach chunks, since there’s no way I would be able to keep the fresh peaches from going to my mouth before they’d make it into the batter!

• Jessica — July 6th, 2010 @ 6:28 am

I think you could use frozen ones – maybe just let them defrost a bit first?

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — July 6, 2010 @ 6:14 am

I’m so happy it’s peach season!!! Those muffins look great, I’ve never had a peach muffin but I don’t see how you an go wrong with these!

Heather — July 6, 2010 @ 6:17 am

i like my peaches the same way…mushy = gross. have fun with your peach binge, and have one for me too! :)

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — July 6, 2010 @ 6:30 am

Perfect timing! We just picked up a bunch of peaches at a roadside farm stand on our drive home yesterday…! We were searching for a delicious recipe to use them up and these muffins sound just perfect…yum!

Nienke at Revel — July 6, 2010 @ 6:32 am

Muffins that taste like pie? YUM! And why is peach season so darn short?!

Erin — July 6, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Gosh those look so good! Would you mind dropping some off to a hungry Mama? lol

ashley — July 6, 2010 @ 6:36 am

they look delicious! i made some peach muffins a few days ago too!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — July 6, 2010 @ 6:37 am

I’m with you with the peaches… I adore them. I can’t wait until mid-july when the amazing local ones start showing up!

Kath — July 6, 2010 @ 6:42 am

In Seattle we don’t get amazing peaches until August, but I’m bookmarking this to try when it’s “Peach-O-Rama” time at our favorite grocery store. I love the fact that there’s not too much sugar in them–they obviously get a lot of sweetening from the applesauce and peaches. YUM!

deeba — July 6, 2010 @ 6:45 am

I’m crazy about peaches, and these sound delightful!!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 6, 2010 @ 7:14 am

I totally agree about peaches…I feel like there is a VERY small window when you can actually find ones that are good. But when you do….STAND BACK because a good peach is awesome! :)

Camille — July 6, 2010 @ 7:59 am

What a unique idea! Peaches are so hit or miss, but I feel like in muffin form, they are always a hit!

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) — July 6, 2010 @ 8:01 am

I love fresh peaches! These muffins look delicious. :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 6, 2010 @ 8:14 am

This just makes me want to go around singing the Presidents of the United States “Peaches” song all day

Biz — July 6, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Yep, a good peach is something to behold – love this recipe Jessica!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — July 6, 2010 @ 8:32 am

AMAZING!! i want to make these today! i love juicy peaches and never had a peach muffin! if they taste like peach pie, then well of course I believe you, Jess DUHHH you are the QUEEN of muffins!! xoxoxox

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — July 6, 2010 @ 8:44 am

I keep seeing your blog comments and decided to check out your site. What a day to do so! Hello yummy muffins! I “like” peaches — not “love” but a peach muffin or peach cobbler, oh yes please!

I’m wondering if a nectarine muffin would work since I do indeed LOVE those ;)

• Jessica — July 6th, 2010 @ 8:47 am

I don’t see why not! If you try it let me know.

Abby — July 6, 2010 @ 8:47 am

I just drooled all over the article I am supposed to be editting.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 6, 2010 @ 9:02 am

I agree that there is nothing like a good peach … and they are SO hard to come by.

Kare — July 6, 2010 @ 9:10 am

Mmm, I agree. A perfect peach is better than any other food out there, bar none.

Sigh. Here in Seattle, we JUST got strawberries. Gotta wait for our own perfect peaches. Meanwhile, I’ll live vicariously – these muffins look so good.

Holly — July 6, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Yummmm! These look so good. I need to go & get some peaches asap.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 6, 2010 @ 10:06 am

Those look delicious! I’ll have to see if I can create a gluten free version!

Sounds like I am completely similar to you when it comes to the peach flavor. I like to can peaches with my dad during the summer and I had been saving my last jar for a special occasion. I went away for about 3 weeks leaving my husband at our home alone. Needless to say when I got back, my husband proudly proclaimed he cleaned out the refrigerated and got rid of those old peaches!! Omg I was so upset, hahaha. He just didn’t understand!

• Jessica — July 6th, 2010 @ 10:21 am

I would have been sad, too!

Nicole, RD — July 6, 2010 @ 10:35 am

I knew I bought too many peaches for a reason :) These look awesome!

Jenna — July 6, 2010 @ 10:46 am

I’ve had terrible luck with peaches so far this year. I am now determined to find a wonderful peach because there is nothing better. These look great!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — July 6, 2010 @ 10:53 am

I love the peach binge! And these look so yummy. I have still been in strawberry binge mode but must move on to peaches.

Fit Chick in the City — July 6, 2010 @ 10:59 am

Why is it so difficult to eat the perfect peach? 10 is a good number as I think I only end up with 2 or 3.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — July 6, 2010 @ 11:08 am

PEACH muffins?? YUM. I don’t think I’ve ever had ‘em for some reason! And yes, what are the tricks to not eating the batter?!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — July 6, 2010 @ 11:24 am

I LOVE peach season too. Great way to use them in baking!

Noelle @Opera Singer in Kitchen — July 6, 2010 @ 11:30 am

YUMMMERS! I wish I had this recipe 3 days ago when my peach cinnamon rolls flopped. I totally would have made this! :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — July 6, 2010 @ 11:40 am

I’d say those are definitely binge worthy! Holy cow! I am now craving peaches and of course a personal chef to bake me muffins all the time.

Jen — July 6, 2010 @ 11:46 am

Yumm, love peaches! I’ve had pretty good luck with them this year, all good so far!

Jen

Carol Adams — July 6, 2010 @ 11:51 am

I agree with you totally about the “Perfect Peach” ! I am that way about many fruits and veggies..I will eat them but am always hoping for the way I like them best…ie PERFECT!
    Not sure how someone doesn’t know about peach pie…oh my…it is so good.
    Thanks for the great recipe

Mackenzie@ The Caramel Cookie — July 6, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

These look so much better than the peach muffins I made the other day!! Can’t wait to get some peaches and try these!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Peach Pie Muffins. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: True Life: I have 50 sundresses « Mission Healthy

3. Pingback: Proper Deadlifts « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

4. Pingback: Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins. | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Breakfast | Leanna's Recipes

6. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #11 – Peach Pie Muffins « Ella Rose Entertaining

7. Pingback: Peaches