I’m still not sure if cold soups are my thing.

But I’m never one to turn down food.

I just couldn’t help myself when I saw a similar recipe.

And since avocados are fairly affordable ’round these parts right now (read: I don’t need to sell my first-born child for one), I have collected every recipe I can possibly try.

Sometimes I forget that Mr. How Sweet isn’t an avocado fan. Instead of kicking him out of the house when he starts to bad-mouth my green lovers, I just throw some raw meat at him. That usually shuts him up. Meat of any kind is his friend.

My only problem is that I have become a bit greedy with the avocados. I have been buying 2 or 3 at a time simply because they are only $1.99 a piece instead of $3.99 a piece. I know, it sure sounds like my money tree is flourishing, doesn’t it?

I put said avocados in the cupboard, or on the windowsill or even behind our bar to ripen. And then I forget about them. I usually rediscover them once they are covered in mold and gray fuzz.

Similar things happen in my dark and dreary crisper drawer, but I won’t get into that now.

Anyway, back to the whole cold soup thing.

I ended up loving this. The flavor was a bit smokey and even a bit sweet from the caramelized onions.

I’m not one for foods at extreme temperatures, so I made sure this wasn’t ice cold. If you would like it ice cold, feel free to add some ice – they do in the original recipe. I also served the soup as an appetizer, because I just wasn’t feeling a cold liquid for my main meal.

I only do that with margaritas.

Spicy Avocado Soup

inspired by Epicurious

Serves 2

1 avocado

1/2 cup plain greek yogurt

1/4 cup skim milk

2 tablespoons chopped, caramelized onions

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

pinch of cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Top with hot sauce if desired.

Crunchy Croutons

2 slices whole wheat bread

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

sprinkle of garlic powder, sea salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 400.

Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and toss with olive oil and seasonings. Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes, flipping every 3 minutes.

I’m sure this soup has thoroughly grossed some of you out. I promise it’s delicious.

Are you a cold soup lover?

Mr. How Sweet is not. Well, at least that is what he says. I’ve seen him eat it though. I’ve also seen him eat ricotta cheese and coconut, both of which he “hates.” Riddle me that.

71 Responses to “Spicy Avocado Soup with Crunchy Croutons.”

Lizzy — July 22, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

I am not usually a cold soup person, but I LOVE AVOCADO, so I think I must try this! Looks awesome!

Gabriela — July 22, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

I love avocadoes, but it sucks to let them ripen. I never want an avocado on the day they’re the best! Cold soup is great in the summertime!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 22, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

i am not a soup girl really.. unless it’s winter. but i can chug coffee year round! see, you are like so close to going raw vegan, you are posting green, cold, raw avo-based soups! i heard sarma needs a partner for her next book deal :)

Nicole, RD — July 22, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

I love any thing with avocado…hot…cold…soup…otherwise. YUM! So pretty, too!

Leah — July 22, 2010 @ 8:02 pm

I have never tried cold soup before, but this sounds really good. I love avocado – and in a soup sounds so much more normal than just eating it on its own. I got some weird looks for that one today at work.

Pure2Raw Twins — July 22, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

I am not much of a soup person. I used to be, but lately I just do not crave them. Though I do like pretty much anything with avocados so this looks great. Love the texture.

Miz — July 23, 2010 @ 2:54 am

WOW.
    so lovely look.
    so would NOT LOOK AS LOVELY if I made it.
    Im not sure my mouth would notice or care….

Sophie @ yumventures — July 23, 2010 @ 5:22 am

I’ve recently started to love cold soups. Can’t wait to try this one!

Eliana — July 23, 2010 @ 11:06 am

I’m not sure if I’m into cold soup either but I’d be willing to give this one a try.

J — July 23, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

WOw where do you live? I can buy avocados for 79 cents a piece in these parts!

A Teenage Gourmet — July 25, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

I made this soup with some edits, but I didn’t really love it. It’s on my site if you’re interested. :)

Allie — July 27, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

I am really going to have to save this and make it sometime soon!

Maria Montague — August 2, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

Looks good! I’ll have to wait until avocados come down from $18.99 a piece. Think it would be good with a dollop of sour cream instead of the croutons? Gotta feed the gluten-free folks, too… :)