You are probably checking this out, thinking about how healthy these home fries are since I made them with sweet potatoes. Right?

Well, hold the phone.

I may have done something bad.

I may have fried them in bacon grease.

And when I say ‘may,’ I really mean that I absolutely did and it was 100% fabulous.

See, I have a little confession.

I don’t always fry my bacon.

Let’s be honest – it’s messy, it’s time consuming, and I am not always in the mood to get burnt by flying bacon grease.

So many times, especially during the week, I lay it on a wire rack and bake it, letting the drippings fall onto the baking sheet below.

And then I throw them away. Yes, you heard me correctly, I throw away the drippings.

Somewhere in Heaven (hopefully…) Mother Lovett just had her 14th heart attack.

And somewhere 15 minutes away from me, my mother just dropped dead.

In my family, throwing away the drippings is the ultimate sin.

But yesterday, I decided to fry bacon. It is so much better that way.

And then I dumped the drippings in a jar and placed them in the back of the fridge, just like Mother Lovett would have.

The only difference is that my drippings won’t be in there for the next 3 years.

Sweet Potato Homefries

Serves 2-3

1 large sweet potato, chopped

1/4 sweet onion, chopped

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 tablespoon olive oil (or bacon grease!)

Heat skillet on medium heat. Add oil and chopped onion. If you don’t want the onions crispy and brown, add them once the potatoes have cooked half way. Season the sweet potato with salt, pepper, and paprika.

Add the sweet potato and let brown before flipping.

Obviously, you don’t need to use bacon grease to make sweet potato homefries.

But I promise if you do, it will rock your world.

63 Responses to “Sweet Potato Homefries.”

Courtney @ Three Months — July 11, 2010 @ 6:47 am

My oh my, these look quite scrumptious! Your bacon ways always impress me, girl! :)

Matt — July 11, 2010 @ 6:49 am

I better buy some bacon so I can make these ;)

Marlon (MeInTheBalance) — July 11, 2010 @ 6:51 am

Yum… too bad I just finished breakfast this morning. I’ll have to make these tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

Julie @ Pickley Pear — July 11, 2010 @ 6:51 am

I bet these are fab in the bacon grease, especially for Sunday morning breakfast! I usually ‘fry’ my sweet potatoes in Olive Oil Pam with lots of seasonings!

Evan Thomas — July 11, 2010 @ 6:52 am

You have no idea how comforting to know I’m not the only blogger storing their animal fat in the fridge

Erica — July 11, 2010 @ 6:58 am

Whenever I hear someone say bacon now…I think of you ;) I love sweet potatoes and have made home fries out of them before (sans the bacon fat ;))- they are so awesome. Hope you have a nice Sunday.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 11, 2010 @ 6:58 am

Yeah, you went there! I oven roasted brussell sprouts last night and while my husband and youngest son loved them…they told me that bacon grease would have made them better. You are so bad! (in a good way, of course) Have a great Sunday Jessica!

Kath — July 11, 2010 @ 7:06 am

Maybe my husband would like sweet potatoes this way! ;)

Lizzy — July 11, 2010 @ 7:06 am

Yum!! I have never thought to do sweet potato homefries. And I bet the bacon puts them over the top.

Rachel Wilkerson — July 11, 2010 @ 7:07 am

YUM!! I have made sweet potato hash browns before but shredding them seems like a huge waste of time seeing how amazing these chunks look. Def bookmarking this one!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 11, 2010 @ 7:07 am

Oh Golly those look scrumptious, however, I will probably never use bacon grease :)

homecookedem — July 11, 2010 @ 7:08 am

I love homefries and never would have thought to make SP homefries!! And I bet the bacon grease makes them AMAZING!!

Sues — July 11, 2010 @ 7:11 am

Wow, what an amazing idea. Serve these with a side of bacon (and some eggs, of course) and you’ve got the perfect Sunday brunch! And because they’re sweet potatoes you don’t have to feel AS bad as if you fried regular potatoes in bacon grease!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 11, 2010 @ 7:18 am

Mmmm…I’d like to try these vegetarian-style, but I have a feeling the bacon grease is necessary :-)

Faith — July 11, 2010 @ 7:35 am

Wow.. that looks really good, sweet potatoes are my favorite! I am bookmarking this recipe and making it soon for sure.

april — July 11, 2010 @ 7:50 am

They should so have those at diners!

A Teenage Gourmet — July 11, 2010 @ 8:07 am

My mom makes the best home fries on earth! She adds a little cayenne pepper. :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — July 11, 2010 @ 8:12 am

My family would always save the “drippings” as they called them in old butter bowls or Cool Whip bowls. Boy were we surprised when we’d reach for the Cool Whip only to find nasty dried up grease. Okay, maybe not nasty. It may some heavenly green beans.

• Jessica — July 11th, 2010 @ 8:44 am

Same here! That is what my mom still does and my grandma did. It looks disgusting but it is oh so good.

Becki @ HikeBikeEat — July 11, 2010 @ 8:12 am

I see the words “sweet potato”, therefore they are healthy!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 11, 2010 @ 8:20 am

Oooh, how Emeril of you!! haha

I’m feeling the sweet potatoes. I made some last night (just baked though…not bacon grease sadly) but yours looks much better!

Wei-Wei — July 11, 2010 @ 8:22 am

ROCK MY WORLD INDEED. I love sweet potatoes, home fries, and of course bacon. WHAT COULD BE MORE PERFECT, I ASK YOU?! I’m sorry I’m overreacting. I tend to do that when I come across my favourite foods. :)

Wei-Wei

Jenna — July 11, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Bacon grease probably what brings these babies to the next level. They look fantastic, lady.

I am usually not a fan of homefries but I think my love of sweet potato fries would carry over to sweet potato homefries. :)

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — July 11, 2010 @ 8:42 am

mmm. Hubby always wants to use the “drippins” for making eggs, etc. So you have a friend there ;)

I recently discovered that I like sweet potato fries. These look awesome!!

Shannon — July 11, 2010 @ 8:56 am

They may not be healthy, but they sure do look good! Yum! I think even my husband would eat sweet potatoes if I made them this way :)

Ashley — July 11, 2010 @ 9:56 am

Uhhhhhhhhhhh…..yes please!!!!!!!

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) — July 11, 2010 @ 10:03 am

I love homefries, but I never thought to make them with sweet potatoes. Can’t wait to try these (the olive oil version of course)! :)

Kristina — July 11, 2010 @ 10:08 am

yes, please. this is perfection.

Camille — July 11, 2010 @ 10:43 am

While I am crying in disgust over the bacon grease, my boyfriend is saying that you are genius. So there you have it.

Paula — July 11, 2010 @ 11:20 am

that potatoes has really great colour!

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh — July 11, 2010 @ 11:32 am

That is so gross yet so comforting at the same time. I always thought my grandmother was crazy. Now I know! (:

Katrina — July 11, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Delicious!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — July 11, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

I have no idea who Mother Lovette is (I’m a first time reader – should I know for future reference?) but she definitely makes me laugh!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 11, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

YUM! I think these look awesome! Hail to the bacon grease!!! :)

Eliana — July 11, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

You had me at bacon grease!

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com — July 11, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

so funny – down the shore – where my in-laws live in the summer – there is a place we run called ‘bacon alley’ – where I swear EVERYONE is cooking bacon!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 11, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

good stuff hot stuff. hope your sunday is going well. i have been a crazy woman busting a move and the day is nearly gone….where did it go?!

xo

Lisa @bakebikeblog — July 11, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

oh my – a dish like this would not last long in our house….

Ellen@FirednFabulous — July 11, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

A little bacon grease never hurt anyone! Looks delish, as always :)

cookiepie — July 11, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

First of all, YUM! The only thing that would make sweet potato homefries even more delicious than they already are, is definitely bacon fat. Yes yes YES! And second of all, I have a jar of bacon grease in my fridge too!!! I’m saving mine to make kettle corn. Oh yeah, baby :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 11, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

I have never thought to use sweet potatoes for homefries, but you just gave me a fabulous idea for the next time I have breakfast guests!! I will totally fry them in the bacon grease too – best idea EVER!!!

Cara — July 11, 2010 @ 8:00 pm

You are hilarious!
    I always love how your justify your actions, you crack me up!

Katie — July 11, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

Oh I bet this is divine. My grandma always kept a jar of bacon grease on her counter, too.

Also, I had bacon for breakfast and thought of you. :-)

Kailey — July 11, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

STOP IT! I want these, right now.

One Healthy Apple — July 11, 2010 @ 10:44 pm

Welp, my peeps don’t do the bacon, so this poses a problem for my recipe recreation ;)

I do love the enthusiasm and now understand the repercussions of getting rid of bacon grease!

stephchows — July 12, 2010 @ 8:31 am

LOL love it :) I bet they tasted over the top amazing!

Meagan — July 12, 2010 @ 9:44 am

I love sweet potatoes, and smoked paprika. Now I have a NEW favorite side dish!

Ken Topham — July 12, 2010 @ 11:47 am

Oh my! I am still recovering from the Bacon Blondies!!

Amanda — July 12, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

Oh my word. That is hilarious. I always WANT to save my bacon drippings.. but lawdy I run out of things to use it on! Well. That might have been before you came into my life. :)

Blessings!
    Amanda

• Jessica — July 12th, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

Impossible. Bacon drippings go with everything.

Tracy — July 13, 2010 @ 7:28 am

These look totally sinful! *drool*

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 13, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

Oh my… Sometimes it’s dangerous to read your blog (especially an hour before dinner when I’m starting to get hungry!)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Sweet Potato Homefries. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Loaded Spinach Salad. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #38 – Sweet Potato Homefries « Ella Rose Entertaining

4. Pingback: Smokey Sweet Potato Homefries « Joyful Heart