Since you all enjoyed our wedding cake so much yesterday, I needed to share one more thing with you.

We had a separate cookie room. More like a dessert room.

I’ve heard rumblings that cookie tables/rooms only happen in Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania. What do you think? Have you ever been to a wedding with a cake and cookies?

Here is Mother Lovett, sneaking into the cookie room before it was open to guests. She always needed to know what was going on. She also probably wanted to finger and inspect every single cookie in the room before putting it back on the tray.

We had cookies for days. For weeks. For years. For eons. In fact, my mom still probably has some in her freezer that she will deem appropriate to serve at Christmas. Would you like a side of freezer burn with your cookie?

Uh oh. Mother Lovett is back. This time she has a different guest accompanying her. She must have missed a few cookies to touch. Don’t worry, I’m pretty sure this is before our good friend Barb spent 90 minutes in the restroom helping her with her girdle.

68 Responses to “The Cookie Room.”

Layla — July 24, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Mother Lovett is a hoot! Those peach cookies look fantastic!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine — July 24, 2010 @ 7:19 am

:o !

Cookie heaven <3 they look so cute and yummy!

Evan Thomas — July 24, 2010 @ 7:20 am

That looks amazing. I love those little pastel colored mints.

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches — July 24, 2010 @ 7:20 am

Lol! This post cracked me up. Mother Lovett reminds me so much of my own Grandma who has been known to fondle the baked goods unbeknownst to other guests at dinner parties. She’s a sneaky one, that Grandma of mine.

Wei-Wei — July 24, 2010 @ 7:25 am

Mother Lovett!! This post is too adorable. If you weren’t so stunning I would have preferred staying in the cookie room over the ceremony. :D

Wei-Wei

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 24, 2010 @ 7:27 am

I have been to a wedding with a dessert room and it was fab. I hope to have the same some day.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — July 24, 2010 @ 7:46 am

This room should just be called “Heaven” :)

Gabriela — July 24, 2010 @ 8:05 am

I’ve seen this before, but never been to a wedding with one!! I’m absolutely having one at my wedding. Mother Lovett is adorable…she’s so tiny, it reminds me of my own grandmother!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 24, 2010 @ 8:39 am

Hahaha

I LOVE this. For my wedding, I am definitely having a cookie room. And love Mother Lovett inspecting it all :-D

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — July 24, 2010 @ 8:40 am

Oh my! This is pure genius. I thought about having a cookie bar at my upcoming wedding, but I think I and my guests would much rather enjoy and entire room full of them. Gorgeous stuff there.

Did you and your family bake them all yourselves? Or is this a silly question?

• Jessica — July 24th, 2010 @ 8:45 am

Not a silly questions at all!

I didn’t make any, and I’m pretty sure my immediate family (aunts, grandmas, mom, etc) didn’t make any. However, we did have a lot of wonderful family friends make the majority of them. I also had a client make some – her cookies were to die for, There were a few dozen we ordered from a baker, simply because it was the only place we could find certain cookies.

teresa — July 24, 2010 @ 8:45 am

Heavenly!
    Just Heavenly!
    I can only DREAM of how delish that room smelled!
    xo

Kristina — July 24, 2010 @ 9:10 am

I have heard of this once, I think… and many different people make the cookies, right?

Those peach cookies!! SO cute… how… and what… I don’t even know what to ask here, but I WANT to MAKE those peach cookies!! :)

jassy — July 24, 2010 @ 9:17 am

oh so nice!!! :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — July 24, 2010 @ 9:19 am

This is too cute! Perhaps when I am an older gal I will forget about calories & just live on cookies and cakes. Your cookie room is a dream come true!! xo

Kristine — July 24, 2010 @ 9:20 am

Dessert rooms are mandatory. My family is from Europe, and all of the weddings/showers/christenings, etc. we have consist of long sweet tables. We even make those peach cookies!

• Jessica — July 24th, 2010 @ 9:21 am

Do you have a recipe??

• Kristine — July 24th, 2010 @ 9:39 am

My granny makes them :) I need to work on a recipe and a blog, and will message you when I get it!

In the meantime, they are two cookies held together with apricot jam, cream, etc, and the cookie can be rolled in sugar.

Cassie — July 24, 2010 @ 9:34 am

I’M VERY JEALOUS RIGHT NOW AND WANT TO HAVE MY WEDDING IN PITTSBURGH.
    But all that aside, everything looks GORGEOUS. and Mother Lovett truly looks like she was a beautiful, wonderful woman. :)

Rebecca — July 24, 2010 @ 10:10 am

The cookie table! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_table
    I thought it was commonplace, but maybe that’s because my family is Catholic, Italian, and hails from Pittsburgh. :)

Mary (A Merry Life) — July 24, 2010 @ 10:14 am

Amazing. I’ve never heard of anyone doing a cookie/dessert room. It must only be something you do in that area. But of course, now I really want to do that. ;)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — July 24, 2010 @ 11:02 am

Holy crap! That’s a huge amount of cookies! We didn’t do cookies at our wedding but my sister did and I felt like those lasted forever but it wasn’t this big of a room full of them!

Tina — July 24, 2010 @ 11:09 am

Why did I not have one of those at my wedding?? Amazing!

Katie — July 24, 2010 @ 11:11 am

Ohmygosh, I want you to be my best friend. I’ve never heard of a cookie room at a wedding, but it honestly looks like heaven. I wish I would have known about this sort of thing when I got married!! Heck, maybe I’ll have a party and just have a “cookie room” in our guest bedroom or something.

Alicia at Poise in Parma — July 24, 2010 @ 11:11 am

Most Italian weddings here in Cleveland do the cookie table – I know I did!

april — July 24, 2010 @ 11:34 am

Oh man, I think I would have left a very happy girl if I was in that room!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 24, 2010 @ 11:41 am

she was seriously so adorable! i love getting to see the woman behind your inspiration :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 24, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

I have heard of this tradition and I think it’s PURE GENIUS!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — July 24, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

Lol, Mother Lovett roxx! I’ve been to one wedding with a cookie room…in Philly! So funny that it’s a PA thing. I think I’d like a cupcake room. Or what about a FROYO room? That would be my personal heaven :) ha

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — July 24, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

Wow, this is seriously amazing! a cookie room AND a HUGE wedding cake? if I ever get married I’m doing it your way! :D

Maris (In Good Taste) — July 24, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

I’ve never seen so many amazing sweets in one place!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 24, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

We totally had a HUGE cookie table! I grew up in the Hollidaysburg/Altoona area (where the wedding took place too) and all of my husband’s family from Ohio didn’t know what was going on! Totally a tradition for Pennsylvania! My cookie table was quite special. I lived at home with my mom the whole month prior to our wedding and started working on baking and freezing cookies right away. Sooo I actually made most of the cookies myself! My mom helped and my Grammy made some too. My MIL also brought some along!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) — July 24, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

Girdle!! haha My grandma still swears by hers. Too funny!!

I love love love that you had a cookie room. Amazing!

Barbara Bakes — July 24, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

I’ve never heard of a cookie room at a wedding, but I’m loving the idea. Give me a cookie (well maybe several) over cake any day.

homecookedem — July 24, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

I think a cookie room is BRILLIANT!! My grandma said that it is definitely a Pittsburgh thing!! :) But I think the idea should catch on down here!!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 24, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

What a wonderful idea!!! When Keith and I were engaged we had a “drinks and desserts” coupe’s shower. It started at 8:00p.m and we had TONS of desserts and lots of drinks! It was a really fun night. I have also been to a wedding that started at 9:00p.m. and all they had for the reception was TONS and TONS of desserts…that was one of my favorite weddings! haha!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — July 24, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

I love the cookie room!! Your wedding cake was ridiculous. So beautiful.

Pure2raw twins — July 24, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

Gosh if I didn’t have food allergies I would have been in this room all night. hehe

Coco — July 24, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

I suppose the cookie table is a Pittsburgh thing, but my friend got married in Baltimore in 2008 and they had a cake (made by Duff of Ace of Cakes–it was delish!), plus cookies–some made by the bride’s family, and some by the groom’s. I think it’s a fabulous idea. I personally want to serve cupcakes at my wedding!!

Camille — July 24, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

I want a cookie room in my house!

Erin @ Making Memories — July 24, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

I’m pretty sure this is what heaven looks like!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 24, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

Mother L and my grandma were twins! About 4’10” and hunchback AND totally into baked goods and cookies. My grandma could bake bake bake. Til her deathbed, she walked 1 mile to mass every morning at 7am AND baked cookies. she was literally and legally blind, cooked by feel. No measuring cups, nothing written down. It all died w/ her. My mom tries some stuff but it’s not like grandma’s was.

And my weekend. Girl. I can tell you some stories. omg :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 24, 2010 @ 10:04 pm

I have been trying to convince my sister to do a cookie table – I think it is the BEST idea!!

Mother Lovett sounds like a character right out of a movie. Once your book is published – it WILL be made into a movie. I am predicting that now. You are hilarious, and so is Mother Lovett.

Kara — July 25, 2010 @ 5:34 am

Aww this reminds me of my grandfather (who also had a HUGE sweet tooth and was also from PA). At our wedding we had cupcakes trees as centerpieces loaded with a few different kinds of cupcakes. When I went to the table that my parents and grandparents were seated at I saw an empty hole on the cupcake tree. My grandfather had taken one and eaten it before dinner!
    Yay for creative wedding ideas!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete.wordpress.com — July 25, 2010 @ 6:04 am

Ok I definitely need to get to a wedding with a dessert room! I have never heard of this before, but what a great idea!

CaSaundra — July 25, 2010 @ 6:14 am

And here I thought the cake was amazing, and then you drop this cookie room bomb—oh yum!

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place — July 25, 2010 @ 6:24 am

it must be a PA thing, because the only wedding I’ve been to with cake and a cookie bar was my best friends in Berwick, PA. love the photos!

Now you know how to throw a wedding. A cookie/dessert room. I could do some damage there.

Marisa — July 25, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

It may be a Pittsburgh, but it is also a traditional Youngstown thing. My cousin recently got married and had a huge cookie spread as well. Everyone contributed a batch of cookies and it was amazing! Definitely doing that at my wedding as well. :-)

Lisa @bakebikeblog — July 25, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

Is this heaven???? Looks like heaven to me!!!!!

katie — July 25, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

WHOA COOKIE HEAVEN!!!! this all looks amazing!!!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — July 25, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

My family is from Western PA and yes, this is a common tradition there!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — July 25, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

How stinking cute is this post!! I love it :)

xxoo

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention The Cookie Room: More wedding pics! -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Wedding Cake: The Selection Process Begins « Peanut Butter Fingers