All is right in the world again.

There is a pound of bacon in my fridge which means I can sleep tight.

If you weren’t aware, I went a week without bacon because I forgot to buy it.

How I could forget such a thing baffles me, but it happened.

You can imagine how badly I just wanted to fry up the whole pound and eat it while reading trashy magazines and watching the Jersey Shore. It’s how I decompress.

Am I grossing you out yet?

Hey, to each their own. I don’t judge you for eating broccoli.

But please don’t leave, because you need to know how amazing these pancakes are.

One day shortly after getting married, I grated a sweet, juicy apple and added it to my pancakes.

It was fabulous. But then I never did it again. It left my mind completely.

And truth be told, I was way too traumatized by the 16 bobbleheads in the living room and that gigantic turkey that lurked in Mr. How Sweet’s bachelor pad to remember anything I was doing in the kitchen.

Then last week it came back to me. And I was so bacon-deprived that I decided to add that to the mix too.

I can now die happy.

Yes, friends – there are apples and bacon in the pancakes. They create the perfect sweet and savory mix, bursting with flavor and texture.

Apple Bacon Pancakes

serves 3-4

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 cups milk

1 tablespoon canola oil

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 slices bacon, fried and crumbles

1 gala apple, grated

In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Add milk, eggs, vanilla and oil and stir until smooth. Fold in half the bacon and all of the apple shreds.

Heat skillet or griddle on medium heat. Add batter 1/4 cup at a time (creates about a 3-4 inch pancake). Wait until bubbles form, them flip and cook about another 30-60 seconds.

Garnish with remaining bacon and maple syrup.

I’ll be hanging in the kitchen today with my best pal, bacon.

Reunited and it feels so good…

91 Responses to “Apple Bacon Pancakes.”

Tina — August 16, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Okay I admit. At first sight the thought of bacon with pancakes made me wonder what you were thinking for a moment. Then I remembered how fantastic salty + sweet combos taste. Yep. You’re a genius with food again.

Courtney — August 16, 2010 @ 4:08 am

Yum, I love bacon. I can only imagine how could this must be!

Blond Duck — August 16, 2010 @ 4:11 am

I had Ben’s bacon cheeseburgers and a pound of guacamole last night.

I was so happy….

Matt — August 16, 2010 @ 4:14 am

Elvis would be proud ;)

Lynn @ The Next Chapter — August 16, 2010 @ 4:15 am

OH WOW!! Those look delicious! Printing out this recipe. :)

homecookedem — August 16, 2010 @ 4:16 am

The combo of apple + bacon + PANCAKES is simply brilliant!! :) Your blog makes me so happy!! :)

Eunice — August 16, 2010 @ 4:21 am

I’ve been putting bacon on everything lately, and I definitely blame you. Or rather, I thank you. Those pancakes look off the chain. Is that an outdated expression? Oh well.

• Jessica — August 16th, 2010 @ 4:27 am

I love it! :)

MelissaNibbles — August 16, 2010 @ 4:31 am

Stop apologizing for your love of bacon. It ain’t a crime. Anthony Bourdain would kiss your feet.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 16, 2010 @ 4:34 am

It’s official…we need to open up a breakfast place! I think we would have a blast! There are just so many ways to do pancakes and waffles! My boys would be all over these!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — August 16, 2010 @ 4:35 am

Sweetheart,

If you had to choose between bacon and Mr. How Sweet….never mind. I probably do not want to hear the answer.

to quote Lynyrd Skynyrd, “So, don’t ask me no questions and I won’t tell you no lies,” I guess.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — August 16, 2010 @ 4:37 am

I just tried to bribe my husband to stay home from work with these and it allllmost worked… I guess I’ll just make them for one.

amanda — August 16, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Mmmmmmm bacon!!! All the talk of bacon last week had me purchase some this weekend when I went grocery shopping.

The Candid RD — August 16, 2010 @ 4:52 am

Fabulous combination of ingredients. Definitely menu worthy! I would pay good money for this.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — August 16, 2010 @ 5:00 am

You crack me up! I wish I could eat like you but if I did, I’d be a big fat ole pig. Oh, the irony! ;-)

Erica — August 16, 2010 @ 5:03 am

Ok so I love pancakes but Josh REALLY loves pancakes…and bacon. I have to get him some (I never keep it in the house- bad wife!

Heather — August 16, 2010 @ 5:11 am

ohmigosh i really want these for breakfast RIGHT NOW! i love apples in pancakes…and you can never go wrong with bacon :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — August 16, 2010 @ 5:13 am

That sounds like a FANTASTIC combo. Love savoury & sweet, yum.

xo
    Kris

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 16, 2010 @ 5:13 am

Sigh. I love being a vegetarian, but there are some combos (like bacon and apple) that you just can’t fake.

Shannon — August 16, 2010 @ 5:24 am

Hey! I just discovered your blog and I love it! This bacon apple pancake creation sounds out of this world! I don’t usually eat bacon, but this is making me want to go to the store ASAP!!!! SO good! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 16, 2010 @ 5:29 am

I love that you crumbled bacon in the batter! Genius!

Terri A. — August 16, 2010 @ 5:58 am

I just ate breakfast (cold cereal), but want to go home right now and make these.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — August 16, 2010 @ 6:01 am

I made bacon pancakes before, they were excellent…I imagine the apple adds a great sweetness to them!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — August 16, 2010 @ 6:13 am

Yes yes yes! What a stellar combo! Apples, bacon and carby deliciousness?! AND maple syrup!? We’re in.

Sophie @ yumventures — August 16, 2010 @ 6:18 am

These sound phenominal! OOOOMG!! I love apples in pancakes too, so the bacon is just that amazing added bonus =)

Layla — August 16, 2010 @ 6:20 am

I think I love you.

Also, you gave me a brilliant idea.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 16, 2010 @ 6:24 am

This makes me want to break my “only go to the grocery store once a week so you don’t spend $500 a month on food” rule so I can get bacon and make these immediately!

Mellissa — August 16, 2010 @ 6:27 am
    jenna — August 16, 2010 @ 6:29 am

these pancakes make me giddy!!!!!! :) apple and bacon, ooo lalala wonderful!

Tracy — August 16, 2010 @ 6:42 am

I love apples in pancakes. I’ll have to add bacon in next time, too!

Wei-Wei — August 16, 2010 @ 6:52 am

I bought bacon recently. It came with a huge container of macaroni, for free. Therefore, we cooked the macaroni, and tossed it in olive oil, tearing in slices of gouda, and then bacon. Oh. The bacon. I can’t believe what I’ve been missing. If there is any bacon left, I am MAKING these tomorrow! Best way to start the school year ;)

Wei-Wei

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — August 16, 2010 @ 7:03 am

I made your better-than-crack-brownies! Yum Yum! :) Thanks for the inspiration. You’re linked!

“…aka Better-than-Crack-Brownies, from How Sweet It Is…”

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 16, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Sweet and savory combo! You are the queen! Looks soooo delicious,Jess! Xoxo

tanyas daily — August 16, 2010 @ 7:29 am

good combo

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — August 16, 2010 @ 7:37 am

Aside from your wit, charm, and beauty, we obviously know why Mr. Sweet married you – it was for meals like this. Your breakfast makes my simple smoothie jealous.

• Mr. How Sweet It Is — August 16th, 2010 @ 7:56 am

Mr. How Sweet was unaware of the awesomeness of Mrs. How Sweet’s cooking prior to marriage. This was kept a secret. Like the actual size of her shoe collection.

You win some, you lose some.

Kristina — August 16, 2010 @ 7:49 am

I laugh at that turkey every time you feature it. ;) TOO funny…

I’ve added apples to pancakes / waffles before… adding bacon really does just seem natural! ;)

Kim — August 16, 2010 @ 7:55 am

Saw this and thought about you….

Happy Monday!!!

ka

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — August 16, 2010 @ 8:12 am

The apple + bacon combo sounds fantastic!

BRay — August 16, 2010 @ 8:15 am

That looks like heaven on a plate.

Jenna — August 16, 2010 @ 8:19 am

I’m a big fan of combining sweet & savory. You’ve got to get the protein worked in to a pancake breakfast somehow, huh? ;)

kristin @ delishlivnig — August 16, 2010 @ 8:30 am

ok, pancakes, apples AND bacon? hello. new favorite combination!!!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — August 16, 2010 @ 8:55 am

yum yum yum! I’ve seen bacon pancakes a few times and never ordered it. (Like the dummy that I am.) But the addition of the apples makes me want to kick myself. I’ll have to try it!

• Jessica — August 16th, 2010 @ 9:49 am

Aren’t you in Vegas? Surely you can find them there!

Kelly — August 16, 2010 @ 9:21 am

Love it, clearly as you can tell by my potato pancakes with apple-bacon chutney I am very much smitten with this flavor combo as well.

• Jessica — August 16th, 2010 @ 9:47 am

Oh I forgot about that! Next time I make this, I am making that and it is going on top. As long as I don’t eat it all with a spoon first.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — August 16, 2010 @ 9:50 am

You, my friend, are an inspiration to bacon devotees everywhere.

mags — August 16, 2010 @ 10:00 am

Great minds think alike. I went on a bacon bender myself this morning!

Jenny — August 16, 2010 @ 10:36 am

those pancakes sure do look good around my lunch time here! i used to love, love, love bacon….then came along the book “Skinny Bitch” and well….i kinda re-thought things. i did not give up meat altogether though… i am now in love with butterball thin and crispy bacon. it’s so good with maple syrup!

meghan — August 16, 2010 @ 11:02 am

I am definitely bookmarking this!
    Bacon has my heart.

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — August 16, 2010 @ 11:17 am

I love bacon in sweet breakfast dishes like pancakes and french toast. It’s kind of crazy how well the flavors compliment each other!

Dana — August 16, 2010 @ 11:29 am

I don’t eat bacon, but these pictures are still making my mouth water! Sounds great!

Kim in MD — August 16, 2010 @ 11:40 am

I heart bacon! I love Mr. How Sweet’s response…too cute! :-)

DessertForTwo — August 16, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

Jessica, these are AMAZING!
    I had a lone little apple in the fridge and a sack of bacon ends and I just had to try this! My cowboy LOVED ‘em! And I don’t feel guilty because it’s whole wheat flour ;)

Does your store sell bacon ends? They’re great-it’s like pre-chopped bacon pieces.

Anyway, thanks for another great breakfast recipe! They’re hard to come by these days.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Apple Bacon Pancakes. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Google Withdrawals « Why Deprive?

3. Pingback: Blueberry-Bacon-Cornmeal Pancakes | The Healthy Apron

4. Pingback: Halloween Food Blog Posts-Favorite & Best Recipe Picks for Holidays — Family Fresh Cooking

5. Pingback: When like hands you bacon… «

6. Pingback: When life hands you bacon… «

7. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #65 – Apple Bacon Pancakes « Ella Rose Entertaining

8. Pingback: Pancake Love | Southern Fare