I have issues.

But I think we all know that by now, right?

I never thought these muffins would work. They sounded delicious in my mind, but I had no clue how to throw them together.

I knew I wanted to use avocado. And lime juice.

And I have been dying to try the persian lime olive oil that I picked up in Michigan.

You guys know I rarely talk about the products I use. But these I love. You must make your way over to Fustini’s and order at least one flavor. But have fun trying to choose! It’s basically impossible.

So with all this other liquid, do I need an egg? Do I add sugar? Am I insane?

Don’t answer that.

But they worked. They just worked. In fact, they were incredible. I want one right now. Which I could have, except I ate them all.

What I love most about these muffins is that they can be sweet or savory. To me, they bear a slight resemblance to cornbread – delicious with a big bowl of soup or chili, or fabulous with some nut butter or ice cream.

I just ate them with butter. It was the quickest way to get them into my stomach.

It is difficult to explain, but they just work.

Avocado Lime Muffins

makes 12 muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

3 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 avocado

2 teaspoons lime zest

1/4 cup olive oil (I used Persian Lime)

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

about 2 tablespoons warm water (or milk, etc)

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine avocado, lime juice, lime zest, and olive oil, mixing until smooth and avocado chunks are gone. Mix wet ingredients with dry, then add additional water (or other liquid) 1 tablespoon at a time until batter is moist but not runny.

Fill muffin tins 3/4 way full. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Then about 5 minutes after they came out of the oven, I ended up with this:

See? Told you I have issues.

I also realized as I was typing up the recipe that these are vegan. (Minus that whole huge-smear-of-butter-thing.)

I don’t even know who I am anymore.

75 Responses to “Avocado Lime Muffins.”

Amelia — August 12, 2010 @ 4:08 am

What a great flavor combo! Kind of like a Mexican muffin? I’m surprised you left crumbs in your muffin wrappers. I would have licked them clean. ;)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 12, 2010 @ 4:11 am

Wow, these look so good! I’ve always been intrigued with cooking with avocados! I’m making these this weekend :)

Erica — August 12, 2010 @ 4:11 am

These sound totally unique. The husband is a big lime fan…but dislikes avocado…I wonder if I could get him to eat these? Very creative!

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 4:42 am

Probably! You can’t really taste the avocado. He may not even know!

• Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — August 12th, 2010 @ 5:34 am

I’ve baked with avocado as the fat before and couldn’t taste it.

I like that these can work both sweet and savoury! Great job Jessica!

homecookedem — August 12, 2010 @ 4:14 am

Such unique and tasting sounding muffins!! They sound really great… so creative!!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 12, 2010 @ 4:18 am

Muffins are sneaky little things. They look so innocent, but once they are out of the oven and all warm…they some how jump into your belly! I am pretty sure you aren’t the only one with issues! These look delicious! Have a great day Jessica!

Marilou — August 12, 2010 @ 4:27 am

Do I have issue if I want to whip a batch and eat it all while drinking margaritas? Now?

Eunice — August 12, 2010 @ 4:27 am

Wow I just used my avocado too! The lime/avocado combo works well in so many recipes right?

By the way, I made your banana chocolate chip cookies. Sigh.. I wish I was home right now to eat the rest of the batch. Delicious!!

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 4:42 am

Glad you liked them!

Rae — August 12, 2010 @ 4:31 am

My issues stem from the fact that I eat most of the batter before I can even cook the darn little things… Oh batter-y goodness, How i love thee…

Wei-Wei — August 12, 2010 @ 4:32 am

I totally admire your ability to whip up stuff from a whim! Especially such a strange combo… but these look great!

Wei-Wei

Kristina — August 12, 2010 @ 4:37 am

WHAAAAT ?

these sound AMAZING !! I must make… today… I do not have lime oo… although I clearly need it now.

Wow. Yum. Thanks.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — August 12, 2010 @ 4:42 am

Interesting combo! Well, I love avocados, and I love lime… and I love things that contain avocado and lime- chances are I’d love these!!

xo
    Kris

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — August 12, 2010 @ 4:45 am

Very nice! Avocado, lime AND vegan? Shoot, I’m sold.

Noelle @Opera Singer in Kitchen — August 12, 2010 @ 5:24 am

Sounds and looks yummy. That is a great oil shop! Wish I could shop there all the time. Nice recipe.

Tina — August 12, 2010 @ 5:26 am

“I don’t even know who I am anymore”. I don’t think a single post of yours goes by that I don’t have a laugh with your quirky sense of humor. Always makes me happy.

I can see how those just work. Avocado + lime is a match made in heaven.

Pam — August 12, 2010 @ 5:35 am

They look delicious and wish I had one now. Love that lime!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — August 12, 2010 @ 5:42 am

This sounds like an awesome combo!

Sophie @ yumventures — August 12, 2010 @ 5:56 am

I totally trust your judgment when you say they are good! They look delicious, like guacamole muffins! Can’t really go wrong with that =)

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — August 12, 2010 @ 6:16 am

These look yummy, I bet you can add lots of different mix-ins since the avacado doesn’t have much flavor. Sounds good!

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 6:23 am

Definitely!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 12, 2010 @ 6:21 am

flavored oil’s?!?!?! omg sounds so delicious! i want some NOW!!!! and I love reading about your ‘issues’ hehe xoxoxo

Nichole — August 12, 2010 @ 6:23 am

Say what?! I would have never muffinized an avocado. Do you just throw ingredients in a hat and grab em? Very impressed!

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Hahaha… sometimes?
      Thanks. :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 12, 2010 @ 6:41 am

Wow, this has to be the best way to use up avocado ever

Barbara — August 12, 2010 @ 6:45 am

These look amazing! Adding them to my bunch of recipes for when I go vegetarian/health nut at the beginning of September! Can’t wait to try them!

Chrissy — August 12, 2010 @ 6:47 am

I had an avocado last night with some leftover chipotle chili and it was fabulous. I may not like bananas, but those who don’t like avocados puzzle me! Haha.

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 6:57 am

Me too! My husband says he doesn’t like them, but he has eaten them before.

Camille — August 12, 2010 @ 7:01 am

What’s with all the fruit and veggies of late!? It’s okay… they all look amazing :)

Evan@swEEts — August 12, 2010 @ 7:12 am

I love experimenting with new recipes! These muffins look great :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 12, 2010 @ 7:28 am

i think i need 6 of these right now…. ;)

Chicago Cuisine Critique — August 12, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Very creative!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — August 12, 2010 @ 7:41 am

I can’t even imagine what these would taste like, but I love all of the ingredients. I would love to create more recipes based on ideas, but I never have any idea how much flour, sugar or eggs I would need. How do you do it?

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 7:48 am

When I do a baked good like a muffin, cupcake, etc, I usually start with 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and 1-2 eggs. I have no formal training, but to me, that has always worked and those are most important. (I think Mother Lovett taught me that??) Then depending on what I’m making, I’ll add sugar, liquid, etc. Trust me, they RARELY come out the first time, I usually always have to tweak to get them right.

But once you have a flour + baking powder combo down, it’s easy to make different kinds of muffins – just switch up ingredients based on flavors and ideas!

Matt — August 12, 2010 @ 7:53 am

Those are like guacamole muffins ;) Sounds amazing!

Dana — August 12, 2010 @ 7:56 am

These sound fantastic! I would never have thought of avocado lime flavors for a baked good, but now that I think about it, it sounds great! Thanks for being so creative!

Eliana — August 12, 2010 @ 8:06 am

Absolutely love the combination of flavors here Jessica. They look incredible.

Kacy — August 12, 2010 @ 8:36 am

Okay, I really have to try these. Like really, I’m actually going to have to bake them, which I hate doing as much as you hate vegetables. I’m putting the ingredients on a grocery list right now. That’s how serious I am.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — August 12, 2010 @ 9:30 am

Hmm, they don’t look like avocado, do they taste like it? I’m sorta anti-avo..weird right?

Very creative though!

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 9:38 am

Nope not really! I mashed mine completely, but if you left them in chunks it may taste a bit more like avocado? You would probably like them this way because you can’t really taste it.

Biz — August 12, 2010 @ 10:38 am

You should enter this recipe for this weeks BSI contest – flour is the secret ingredient this week!

Love how unusual the combination is and glad it turned out!

Veronica of Recipe Rhapsody is hosting this week:

Jenna — August 12, 2010 @ 10:51 am

You’re taking the use of a good old avocado to a whole new level, I love it! Who would have thought to bake with one?

Katie — August 12, 2010 @ 11:00 am

Very intriguing. I had an avocado/mint smoothie the other day that I had doubts about, but it turned out WAY better than I expected – so I can imagine that these muffins “just worked” :-)

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 11:03 am

I love avocado in smoothies! Trader Joe’s also has frozen ones which is really good for me since I can rarely get good ones here.

Laura — August 12, 2010 @ 11:33 am

This is the first time I’ve stumbled across your page, and I LOVE your site! These muffins look so interesting, and I love experimenting in the kitchen! I can now just live vicariously through you! :)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun — August 12, 2010 @ 11:41 am

Savory muffins…how different. And with avocado too?! Great idea! :-D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 12, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

they look great and i bet that cumin or even a chili/cayenne blend would take them into the mexican realm and you could eat them as a side w/ anything else mexi or as a dipper for like salsa or hummus or something. and yes, they are vegan. and you could make them GF easily too. You’ll be a raw GF vegan in no time :)

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 12, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

Lol! You’re too funny. Ok, so this combo is pretty crazy, but since I totally trust you, I’d def give these a try!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — August 12, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

Yum, these sound amazing! At first I was skeptical of the avocado thing but I bet you really just get the benefit of its texture, right?

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

Yep – makes them very moist!

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write — August 12, 2010 @ 2:50 pm

That is really different. I don’t think I’ve ever heard those two combined, especially in muffin. Sounds delish, as always!

Pure2raw twins — August 12, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

Vegan muffins??? Love it! I love avocado and lime together…and with some coconut ; )

Blond Duck — August 12, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

Mexican food in muffin form! Huzzah!

Kelly — August 12, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

These definitely sound unique!

Summer @ Simple Healthy Real — August 12, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

I love that you used avocado for the fat. I’ve been thinking of trying this, but haven’t had a chance yet. Thanks for experimenting for me!! :-) I’ll have to try it this weekend.

Emily @ Run Emily Run — August 12, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

Ooh, or eww? I can’t decide. I love avocado, and I love lime, but in baked goods? I guess it’s worth a try! They definitely got a rave review!

mags — August 12, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

I’m going to trust you that this combo works. I’ll admit it does sound different! They look tasty though!

Amanda — August 12, 2010 @ 6:04 pm

Could you BE more brilliant? Nope. I have NO talent cooking so the fact that you just whipped this up is awesome. Just awesome.

Blessings!
    Amanda

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — August 12, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

So creative!!!! You are the queen of creativity!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Avocado Lime Muffins. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Sometimes, I bake « Low… and behold!’s Blog