I’m sorry for doing this to you.

I really am.

But see, last Friday while I was on a 10-hour road trip heading for vacation, I received this recipe from a reader named Liz.

Liz, I love you. That’s all I have to say.

I was tortured by this recipe for a full 8 days before I could make it. I wanted to make it while I was on vacation, but couldn’t drag myself up off the couch to do so.

So it was the first thing I made when I returned home.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

These are an absolute sin.

I really don’t have any words, other than you must try them. They will change your life.

They may also change your waistline too.

But that’s okay.

It’s all in the name of chocolate.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Better-Than-Crack Brownies

1 batch brownies (boxed mix or oooey gooey brownies)

1/2 cup salted peanuts (if don’t have salted, add sea salt)

1 cup chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups

1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 tablespoon butter

1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal

Mix brownies according to directions, and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Remove and top with peanuts and peanut butter cups, and bake for 4-6 minutes more.

While they are finishing baking, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Stir in cereal. Remove brownies from oven and evenly pour chocolate mixture over top.

Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Mr. How Sweet says these are healthy since they have peanuts for protein and good fat, and since the back of the Rice Krispie box says the cereal is a “healthy snack.”

I love the way this man thinks.

499 Responses to “Better-Than-Crack Brownies.”

Liana @ femme fraiche — August 9, 2010 @ 4:00 am

oh my gosh…peanut butter cups, peanuts AND peanut butter…ALL IN ONE? i am speechless

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — August 9, 2010 @ 4:18 am

Next time I need to make a special treat for something I’m definitely coming back here…. you can’t go wrong with chocolate and PB and I bet the cereal gives it an awesome texture!

Gabriela — August 9, 2010 @ 4:21 am

In elementary school one of my classmates’ moms made these for us, and I remember my fifth-grade teacher getting sooooo excited. They really are better than crack :)

Marisa @Loser for Life — August 9, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Oh MY!!! Who thinks of these things?! Whoever they are…I love them :)

Btw, thought of you while on vacation this week! Saw a shop that sold chocolate covered BACON!!!! Who knew?!

Marilou — August 9, 2010 @ 4:27 am

Confession: I just licked my screen … 3 times

• adrienne — October 21st, 2010 @ 7:38 pm

That made me laugh so freaking hard!

Erica — August 9, 2010 @ 4:28 am

oh my goodness…. deliciousness. I’m not even a huge chocolate person…and these have me drooling.

amanda — August 9, 2010 @ 4:35 am

I love all the extra peanut butter or nuts in this recipe. Sounds and looks delicious! I agree with Mr. Sweet, totally healthy!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 9, 2010 @ 4:40 am

You can always justify things like this with the “healthy” ingredients! Besides, I am pretty sure you covered all the food groups in there! Have a great day Jessica!

Heather — August 9, 2010 @ 4:40 am

there are no words! liz, i hate and love you at the same time :) (that goes for you too jessica ;))

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 9, 2010 @ 4:43 am

My Goodness!!! These look insanely delicious!! Almost like I would need to have an ice cold glass of milk on standby while eating one!

Amanda — August 9, 2010 @ 4:45 am

Really? Did I *have* to check your blog first thing this morning?? These are now going to haunt me until I make them.

Wowsers.

Blessings!
    Amanda

Susan — August 9, 2010 @ 4:49 am

I find it so interesting that cookbook chefs have food stylists who arrange and paint and spray food to make it pretty enough for their cookbooks, yet your food pictures have never failed to make my mouth water! You are a great “food stylist”!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 9, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Wow– these look crazy good.

Welcome home, girl!!

Wei-Wei — August 9, 2010 @ 5:21 am

Wow, okay. I just died. Again.

Wei-Wei

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — August 9, 2010 @ 5:24 am

Wow….these look really good. Probably shouldn’t be reading food blogs as I am fasting for surgery.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — August 9, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Okay, I say this every day, but I’m really going to make these. They are next on my list for things I need to make for an indulgent treat. I just can’t make them without a purpose or without an event with friends for sharing….says my jeans.

Mandy — August 9, 2010 @ 5:35 am

I’m making these for my clients, stat. xo

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — August 9, 2010 @ 6:07 am

Goodness these are like the fabulously delicious love child of a brownie and a rice krispie treat with some peanut butter thrown in for good measure…! They look amazing and delicious and totally addictive.

A Teenage Gourmet — August 9, 2010 @ 6:08 am

:D . . . is all I have to say. This looks like the perfect thing for a bake sale.

Liz — August 9, 2010 @ 6:09 am

So glad you enjoyed – I made another batch this weekend (and they are in the pantry hidden from the hubby) :)

Good day!

Jenna — August 9, 2010 @ 6:35 am

Are you serious with these!?!? My heart may have just skipped a beat because I may be in love.

Yum Yucky — August 9, 2010 @ 6:40 am

So, uh, how do you know that it’s “better than crack”? …just wondering how you know ‘n stuff. :P

CookiePie — August 9, 2010 @ 6:44 am

Oh no – no no no. These look too good!!!!!!!

Maria — August 9, 2010 @ 6:51 am

WOW! I want one now!

tanyasDailyProducetReviews — August 9, 2010 @ 6:55 am

those look like my favorite clif builder protein bars!!

Kim in MD — August 9, 2010 @ 7:01 am

After seeing your comments on all of my favorite food blogs (it seems you are an early-bird like me), I finally decided to click on your name to link to your blog. I am so glad I did! I LOVE your blog, Jessica, and I look forward to reading your archives (I am sure I have been missing out on some fabulous recipes)! These brownies look so decadent…between these and PW’s SuperSonic Breakfast Burritos, I really WILL need bigger pants! :-)

homecookedem — August 9, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Haha, I like the way Mr. How Sweet thinks too! These brownies are definitely health food, I’m certain of it!! :) They look amazing!!

Angela — August 9, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Holy Decadence! These look awesome, but dare I say it maybe too rich to eat more than one. Which may actually be a good way of practicing portion control. Regardless, they look fantastic. Thanks for yet another great recipe!!

Kara @ MyWellnest — August 9, 2010 @ 7:17 am

As soon as we finish the chocolate cobbler we’re making these!!!

Laura J. — August 9, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Baha your husband’s response cracks me up! My husband would’ve said the same thing. He justifies ice-cream by saying it’s got lots of calcium. Um, okay sweetie.

Mary (A Merry Life) — August 9, 2010 @ 7:24 am

OMG. Your blog is so amazing and so frustrating at the same time. And I don’t think you are sorry for it. ;) Those look awesome.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 9, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Holy bananas. There are no words for these.

Matt — August 9, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Omg those look like a slice of heaven ;)

Chicago Cuisine Critique — August 9, 2010 @ 7:41 am

These look fantastic! Yum. :)

vanillasugar — August 9, 2010 @ 7:51 am

i am NOT making those! no friggin way! lol

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — August 9, 2010 @ 7:53 am

This is a combo of my two favorite bars – the scotcheroo and the brownie! I think I’ve been waiting for this all my life.

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — August 9, 2010 @ 8:03 am

Once again I have to take back my “I don’t really like brownies” rule. You tend to do that…often!

Camille — August 9, 2010 @ 8:10 am

Omigosh, these. look. incredible.

Abby — August 9, 2010 @ 8:21 am

I love Liz, too.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 9, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Jess, lets make a deal…after my competition, you will make me a batch and send them?!! I dont care how they transform in the sending process :) I will eat them

Nichole — August 9, 2010 @ 8:25 am

In the words of the Jersey housewives, call me a brownie crack whore. Are you kidding me at the levels of awesomness in this recipe?! Bookmarked!

Marlon (MeInTheBalance) — August 9, 2010 @ 8:39 am

Okay… I’m gonna have to make these brownies when I get home from vacation. But I’m gonna have to check into rehab afterwards, though. Hehe…
    Thanks for sharing!

Kristina — August 9, 2010 @ 8:41 am

I love Liz, also! These are genius… and if Mr. How Sweet says these are healthy, I’m going with it!! :)

megan — August 9, 2010 @ 8:47 am

yay! I can’t wait to make these! They look wonderful, perfect for a summer potluck :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — August 9, 2010 @ 8:50 am

Stop, I don’t even know what to say about these. Making these asap.

Morgan — August 9, 2010 @ 9:16 am

Mr. How Sweet is brilliant…this really is the perfect healthy treat!
    Dear lord, I MUST make this. NOW

Julie — August 9, 2010 @ 9:22 am

Yeah, I just gained 10 more pounds just looking at them. I just LOVE the krispies on top…yum!

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — August 9, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Your husband sounds like he has the same logic as mine :) These look awesome–can’t wait to whip them up!!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — August 9, 2010 @ 9:35 am

Those look so addictive! I’m sure I could eat the whole batch….in one sitting….

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — August 9, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Ooo these are right up my alley…I’d add some butterscotch chips in as well!

1 2 3 6

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Better-Than-Crack Brownies. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Balancing Healthy Living One Week at a Time

3. Pingback: Sweet Leftovers. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: mmmm, desserts….so does not spell stressed backwards ;) « The really ones with the long necks

5. Pingback: Not Your Ordinary Brownies « Picky and Healthy

6. Pingback: We Can’t Get Enough Of…

7. Pingback: Come on baby, light my fire « That's My Bix!

8. Pingback: Couches, couches everywhere! | Running for Wine

9. Pingback: One Year In. | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Food Loving Polar Bear | It Tastes Better Than It Looks

11. Pingback: My Little Baker «

12. Pingback: The Last 4 Days… | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip. | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Guilty As Charged « That Hoosier Girl

15. Pingback: Guest Post: Baking For Two.

16. Pingback: Oh What a Night. | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: It really is sweet! | SNACKS AND THE CITY

18. Pingback: Steph's Bite by Bite » Blog Archive » Online Bake Sale Preview

19. Pingback: Best Super Bowl Recipes | recipegirl.com

20. Pingback: Steph's Bite by Bite » Blog Archive » The Online Bake Sale

21. Pingback: Chewy Brownie Bundt Cake | How Sweet It Is

22. Pingback: Baked Potato Nachos | How Sweet It Is

23. Pingback: Deja- WHAT THE ?!!! | bejamie

24. Pingback: Better-Than-Crack-Brownies » Whitney's Recipes

25. Pingback: Better Than Crack Brownies « The Healthy Junky

26. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #13 – Better Than Crack Brownies « Ella Rose Entertaining

27. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies | Better-Than-Crack Brownies | Brown Eyed Baker

28. Pingback: Peanut Butter Balls « Time for Something Sweet

29. Pingback: Better-Than-Crack Brownies « Slinging Eggs and Bacon

30. Pingback: Steph's Bite by Bite » Blog Archive » Blond-ies Have More Fun

31. Pingback: Workout and Brownies « Amazing Asset

32. Pingback: » Blog Archive » Peanut Butter Crunch Brownies

33. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Brownies | Adventures in the Kitchen

34. Pingback: Raffle for Life » Then Heather Said

35. Pingback: Vanilla Bean Butter | How Sweet It Is

36. Pingback: Better than Crack Brownies « Sharon's Shenanigans

37. Pingback: Half Baked. | How Sweet It Is

38. Pingback: Barbecues and Tulips | Jen is Green

39. Pingback: Better Together « My Shiny Life

40. Pingback: Pre-Vegas Brownies « Second City Randomness…

41. Pingback: Rice Cereal Two Ways « homemadeadventure

42. Pingback: Old Insecurities | The Runner's Kitchen

43. Pingback: The Grand Finale « A Fox In The Kitchen

44. Pingback: It’s my birthday and I do what I want to | Healthy and Sane

45. Pingback: It’s my birthday and I do what I want to

46. Pingback: Holly’s Bake Shop! « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

47. Pingback: the perfect cookout dessert (besides pie…pie comes first) « Chocolate and Chaturangas

48. Pingback: dessert » Blog Archive » the perfect cookout dessert (besides pie…pie comes first …

49. Pingback: Crack Ain’t Got Nothin’ | Heather's Dish