I’m sorry for doing this to you.

I really am.

But see, last Friday while I was on a 10-hour road trip heading for vacation, I received this recipe from a reader named Liz.

Liz, I love you. That’s all I have to say.

I was tortured by this recipe for a full 8 days before I could make it. I wanted to make it while I was on vacation, but couldn’t drag myself up off the couch to do so.

So it was the first thing I made when I returned home.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

These are an absolute sin.

I really don’t have any words, other than you must try them. They will change your life.

They may also change your waistline too.

But that’s okay.

It’s all in the name of chocolate.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Better-Than-Crack Brownies

1 batch brownies (boxed mix or oooey gooey brownies)

1/2 cup salted peanuts (if don’t have salted, add sea salt)

1 cup chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups

1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 tablespoon butter

1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal

Mix brownies according to directions, and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Remove and top with peanuts and peanut butter cups, and bake for 4-6 minutes more.

While they are finishing baking, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Stir in cereal. Remove brownies from oven and evenly pour chocolate mixture over top.

Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Mr. How Sweet says these are healthy since they have peanuts for protein and good fat, and since the back of the Rice Krispie box says the cereal is a “healthy snack.”

I love the way this man thinks.

503 Responses to “Better-Than-Crack Brownies.”

Sean — July 4, 2011 @ 2:26 am

Just made these today – a peanut butter lover’s DREAM.
    Another delicious recipe. Thanks!

Lindsey — July 4, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

Made these for a party on Sunday, big hit!

Gabby — July 4, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

Wow! Found these over at Brown Eyed Baker and they are AMAZING! Made them for the 4th and they were a hit :) Thank you!!

Brisbane Osteo — July 7, 2011 @ 3:15 am

Oh my god! These look AMAZING!! I have to make them like right now! Thanks for the receipe!!

geraldine denise kuss — July 10, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

SOUNDS DELICIOUS!

Just SO UNHEALTHY! Moreover lots of ready made stuff that we don´t have in Brazil!
    I
    Prefer wholesome Brownies that could at least be a LITTLE bit good for the health.

No wonder Americans are SO FAT!

• glenn coco — July 12th, 2011 @ 10:31 am

Really? You go to a website called “how sweet it is” and expect healthy and wholesome?
      Must be nice to be so perfect that you have to point out everyone else’s shortcoming’s. Why not stick to blogs in Brazil and let us FAT American’s enjoy ours?

• Alison — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Well said glenn coco :)

• Clea — July 15th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

You go Glenn Coco!

• Bri — November 14th, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

“You go Glenn Coco!”

(Lol that was perfect)

• Kale — November 15th, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

Just because something is sweet, does not mean it’s not going to be healthy. So lay off someone from another country and go away.

• Tala — September 1st, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Wow, it must be so amazing to come from a place with no overweight people at all!!! All of us Americans should certainly admire you for your clear superiority over our lumbering, lardy country…

Oh wait…

hmm… oops… my bad. Perhaps you’re not the shining star you thought you were… in fact, these numbers put it at about a 50/50 bet that you yourself are fat and just being a troll. Sorry, but next time you want to throw stones at the fat kids, check the mirror first.

• Nadia — September 4th, 2011 @ 7:45 pm

I think she shut up. What a snob.

• name — November 11th, 2011 @ 12:30 am

really lady really?? its called being able to indulge every once in awhile…..yes some people overindulge sometimes…but hey whatcha gunna do! its not like we Americans are going to make these brownies and then sit there and eat the whole lot alone! were going to share them with our family and friends you idiot! that way we the bakers will most likely eat only 1 maybe 2…. get over yourself and your stupid brazilness…..boo on you! and who wants wholesome and little bit healthy for you brownies anyway! yuck!!! brownies are meant to be not good for you and delicious!!! duhhh!

• Kerry — November 11th, 2011 @ 1:00 am

I’ve heard that Brazilians are bitter and rude, and you just proved that. (Pass the brownies, please)

• Clara — November 19th, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

Okay, so that comment has many faults.
        1. Who goes looking for a brownie recipe and expects it to be healthy? Don’t kid yourself. Good brownies will most likely never be healthy.
        2. Saying “Americans are so fat” is a very hasty generalization, and as stupid as wanting delicious fat-free brownies. Everyone likes to indulge once in a while.
        Now, speaking of hasty generalizations – just because a troll somewhere wrote a petty and criticizing comment doesn’t mean that all Brazilians out there are petty and rude. Actually, being a Brazilian myself, I would argue that I’m quite the opposite. The Brazilian above just happened to be a bitter and rude one.
        I think I’ll go eat fattening brownies now.

• Todd — November 25th, 2011 @ 4:49 am

I totally agree. All of you denouncing her nationality are guilty of the same stupidity Geraldine showed in her comment.

• ELV — November 24th, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

@Kerry: you shouldn’t make a sweeping generalization like the initial poster. Just like we teach children, just because they do it to you, you don’t have to do it to them. I have traveled all over Europe and the states and Brazilians are no more bitter and rude than people in the rest of the world. Have you ever ventured out of your little suburban home and see what the world is really like? I didn’t think so. Just think next time.

~peace

Er — July 11, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

Made these this weekend- holy yum! They were a HUGE hit…thanks!

Jen — July 11, 2011 @ 7:55 pm

Not all Americans are fat…and that’s kind of rude. These look delicious!

• Bacon and Beer — September 4th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

A bit touchy are we?

• Jen — September 5th, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

LMAO rightttttttttttttt…

Mrs. Cox — July 11, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

Well, I can’t say that I’ll be making these anytime soon {I’m pretty sure that my hips will hate me if I did}. They do look delicious though.

And I couldn’t help but chuckle at the comment from “geraldine denise kuss”. Such brutal honesty can be tough to swallow. Maybe us Americans need to have THAT sugar-coated too?

• Grandma Harriet — July 14th, 2011 @ 2:45 am

Brutal honesty? It was downright rude. If someone prefers ‘wholesome brownies’ then they should go to the wholesome foods websites and nag them. It was a totally inappropriate comment considering the type of website this is…she undoubtedly wasn’t held at gunpoint to view this site. Some people are just too self-important.

• wholesomebrownie — July 18th, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

she’s just giving her opinion just like all of you all are. Just because her opinion differs from yours doesn’t mean she’s not entitled to post it. And, yes, Americans are fat. There’s no reason to eat brownies that are mixed with processed candy.
        A wholesome brownie is not that hard to come by: use some wholewheat flour, peanut butter (no reese’s peanut butter cups) and throw in some nuts. Maybe reduce the sugar. A little chocolate and peanut butter never hurt anyone.

• American — July 23rd, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

Yes, because all americans are obviously fat. My mistake @@

• American Woman — September 1st, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

For some reason I stumbled upon these comments and feel the urge to say something. That’s the point of a blog, right? To say something? There wouldn’t be a comment box if it wasn’t. I don’t believe these brownies were advertized as an entire meal. Such temptations are meant to be enjoyed like everything, with moderation. A brownie or two will not make you fat. So in response to our friend from Brazil, take it easy on the generalizations in the future. You are quite entitled to an opinion, and you may have a point about the increasing number of over weight individuals in the US, but that can also be attributed to lack of exercise or increased stress…I mean, have you looked at our economy? I think that’s reason enough to eat an entire batch of these better-than-crack brownies and if, in moderation, they make us feel better emotionally, I see no harm.

• fatamericanslob — November 10th, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

I for one think that someone must really love wholesome brownies…they must be brazilian ;)

• I Love Processed Candy Brownies — November 18th, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Brownies exist because people want to eat something really sweet and unhealthy once in a while. Therefore it’s a great idea to put processed candy in the brownies. Maybe you should make a Brazilian website called “How Semi-Sweet It Is” or “Brownies With Reduced Sugar Not Only Look Like Crap, They Also Taste Like It”. And Mrs. Cox, with a name like that, I find it ironic that you are talking about things that are hard to swallow.

Susan Turner — July 16, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

These look delicious! I have a daughter who loves peanut butter and brownies, so I will definitely be trying these.

Kate — July 26, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

just wanted to give you huge points because these brownies helped me win the intern bake-off at my job – thanks!!

Courtney — August 2, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

I made these for my boyfriend(who is a MAJOR chocoholic) and he LOVED them! He ate one for breakfast when I gave them to him…and his mom even told me they were better than sex after she tried them! haha
    Thanks for the recipe it was actually really easy to make these! :D

• john b. — November 11th, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

OK, ewwwwww. his MOM said they were “better than sex”? moms shouldn’t be having sex. and if they are, i don’t want to know about it. unless she’s a MILF….then it’s OK.

• elise — November 27th, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

wowwww really….youre inappropriate. there have been a lot of things said on this blog but this is the worst. where do you get off talking about somebody’s mother like that. its just a saying so chill what are you 4?

Morgan — August 5, 2011 @ 11:58 am

These brownies were so amazingly delicious! Everyone LOVED them! I’ve had multiple people already ask me to make more :) Thanks for the great recipe. It’s so fun to splurge like this once in a while.

Katie — August 12, 2011 @ 11:59 am

Oh wow. Saw these on pinterest…they look AMAZING and perfect for my next girls night!

Jan — August 18, 2011 @ 10:22 am

I think I am gonna try those brownies, and I don’t care if they stay on my hips or not, it’ll go away. The woman from Brazil, she probably made them anyway, just gotta show some ugly

cailin — August 22, 2011 @ 11:14 am

want to make these for a dinner wednesday night after work…is it ok to make tuesday night and refrigerate for more than 2 hours and serve wednesday?

• Jessica — August 22nd, 2011 @ 11:26 am

definitely! i would just take them out an hour or so before serving wednesday otherwise they may be too cold and hard to bite into.

Suzanne — August 23, 2011 @ 2:02 am

Can these be frozen? I am a competitive bodybuilder and I bake the last couple week before my competition then freeze it all and bring with me to the show and share with everyone and of course indulge myself!

• Jessica — August 23rd, 2011 @ 6:52 am

Yep!

• Suzanne — August 23rd, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Awesome Thank you! They look AMAZING!!!

valerie — August 26, 2011 @ 11:19 am

I know I’m late in commenting, but I just found your site.The Brazilian was way off base. Just because we enjoy a good, fattening brownie every once in a while doesn’t mean we’re all destined to become obese! Way to stereotype! By the way, I have a major sweet tooth and would eat these for dinners if I thought I could get away with it. I am 5′ 10″ and 140 lbs. A far cry from being a fat American! Don’t be a hater!

Melissa — August 29, 2011 @ 11:50 am

I made these last night and forgot the Rice Crispies when I went to the grocery store. Since it was after 10pm, I was in my jammies. My husband wouldn’t get up and go back to the store for me. So, I used crushed pretzels instead. Gotta say, there were pretty freakin’ good and my co-workers LOVE me today!!

• Brandee — August 30th, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

This is what I want to do the next time I make them!

Brandee — August 30, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

I made these for our annual neighborhood picnic dinner. People were eating them before dinner even started. They were gone before the picnic was even over.

ArmitageShanks — August 30, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

I can very happily say I will never bake these in my lifetime.

I wouldn’t normally feel the need to paste a comment on a recipe I’m not interested in, but the line has been crossed. I stumbled here, and like 90% of the recipes I stumble on contain either packet cake mix or oreos, peanut butter cups etc.

Now I’m not dissing any of these ingredients as individuals, or the fact that they are somewhat unhealthy – but as ingredients? Why would you do that? Someone’s already done the work for you in making them taste good, doesn’t that take the fun out of the baking?

As a big food fan seeing these recipes just grates on me somewhat. I’m from Britain, where the food is largely hit and miss, but is this seriously representative of baking there?

• RepresentativeAmerican — August 31st, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

• Whoa — September 1st, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

You guys eat some shtie

• Jo — November 1st, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

I agree, ArmitageShanks! Most recipes nowadays just seem to take premade foods and dump them together! It just seems a bit lazy to me. Plus, I have multiple food allergies and am quite adept at adapting recipes to fit my needs, but when they call for premade foods, it is just that much more difficult! So annoying! Oh, and by the way, I am American.

• collegekid — November 16th, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

I get that for big time bakers like you, using a packet mix or other “shortcuts” may seem wrong, but for a college student who relies on the microwave for pretty much everything, its more fun for me and my friends to use those “shortcuts” rather than slave over something for hours and then have a huge mess to clean up! And trust me, if its me or any of my friends in the kitchen, there will be a big mess ;) not to mention were all pretty lazy and broke and just really want something to satisfy our sweet tooth!

Erin — August 31, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

OMG I LOVE THESE! i was so excited when i came across this recipe! i saw it on a brownie mix box a couple years ago and have been making them regularly ever since! the box called them brownie gooey bars but i like your name MUCH better :)

try frosting the brownies with vanilla frosting and then add the chopped peanuts! SOO MUCH BETTER!

anderson — September 1, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

try it with cocoa krispies…

melissa stevens — September 4, 2011 @ 10:40 am

OH MY GOODNESS, Im on a diet but I have to at least make these and try them for the Labor Day weekend, thanks soooo much, I promise I will only eat ONE…I think:)

Rita — September 6, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

OMG these are so good! LOVE choc and PB together! Match made in heaven!
    Dangerous for a 36 week preg lady though! lol

Buffy — September 7, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

Good thing I’m Canadian, only some of us are fat here. :P

These look delicious.

devin — September 10, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

don’t say they’re better than crack when you’ve probably never had crack in your life.

• adsefsdgdrsg — September 12th, 2011 @ 3:24 am

No, dude, it’s totally legit. I had one then the other. Then mixed the two.

• heather — October 20th, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

(best thread ever.)

• Dee W. — December 7th, 2011 @ 1:45 am

lmfao

Paula — September 12, 2011 @ 9:49 am

I think I just found a new brownie for this year’s Christmas baking list…each year they change…so many recipes, so little time…sigh…so many decisions…

Madi @ Sit down and eat your peas! — September 13, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Oh thank God! I’ve been looking for something better than crack for a while! ;) No, but really, chocolate, peanut butter and rice krispies? I really couldn’t ask for more! Thanks for the recipe!

Rebecca — September 15, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

While these brownies were good, I probably wont be making them again. They were too sweet, and the constant refrigeration that was needed was a little annoying. I did love all of the textures though. Crunchy, soft, etc…. perfect bites.

Stephanie Deal — September 15, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

Hiya. I’m a new reader and found your blog thru StumbleUpon. :) Just made these brownies and oh wow – they are terrific! Thanks.

Ivo Kintobor — September 25, 2011 @ 1:56 am

these are awesome… and VERY rich… I love them… a few people that tried them said that they were too much… and i almost agree… they said maybe cut the amount of the rice crispy mixture by half or so… i don’t agree… pushing that limit is fine with me

• Ivo Kintobor — September 25th, 2011 @ 1:58 am

oh yeah… you forgot two ingrediants…

a chain and a heavy duty padlock…

that way you can lock the fridge

Emily — October 3, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

At how many degrees should these luring devils be baked?

Chelsea — October 5, 2011 @ 10:18 am

I made these for a fundraising bake sale at work today and I’m sure they will be a hit! I did however call them Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Madness because I didn’t think ‘better than crack’ would score me any points with our HR department. HAHAH :) I had to sample one this morning and they are SOOOO good!! Thanks for all the great recipes!

Elyse — October 9, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

I made these on the weekend to take to an event at my partners work. It is not to easy to find Peanut Butter cups in New Zealand so I had to improvise a little and I used my favourite Brownie recipe for the base. They were AMAZING! And everyone wanted to know the recipe :-) I also made your Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles and they were an absolute hit too, inhaled in 10 minutes flat!
    Thanks for the fantastic recipes!

jenn — October 11, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

according to these interesting comments, these brownies are not for everyone! you are sharing the recipe for those who will appreciate it! and MOST OF US DO :) so thank you!
    i want to know how many reese’s pb cups are needed to get 1 cup chopped…see, i don’t want to buy a big bag of them and then have to eat them all! i just want to buy the right amount. how many do you suggest?

• Jessica — October 11th, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

I don’t even measure one cup anymore Jenn – I make these so often that I really just use one bag of small Reese’s, chop them all and add them!

Heather Veska — October 19, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Just made these delightful brownies. I loved them!

Michelle G — October 21, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

I have been salivating over your blog for months now and I am glad to say that I finally (3 year old and 2 month old at home) decided to bake these. Delicious! They are definitely rich, very very rich, but so good. I cut them very small and had my hubby take 1/2 the pan to work with him (huge hit) and we’ll be munching on these for days. I cannot wait to make all the recipes on your site. Thanks Jessica… not only do you make delicious food, but I almost pee my pants laughing at your posts!!!

(the comments on this recipe are pretty hilarious all on their own)

Cindy — October 22, 2011 @ 11:50 pm

just fair warning…I made these tonight for a dinner party and everyone there actually thought they were awful, including myself. WAYYY too rich, just so sugary and overwhelming we couldn’t even finish the pieces on our plates. I was super embarrassed and disappointed that they were so bad-and I tend to be a big fan of desserts. We used all the ingredients exactly as is, no substitutions. So fyi…I think this is a very distinct strong taste and is not for everyone.

Lexi — November 7, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Do you have to refrigerate these or can I serve them warm? I can’t wait to make them but I love warm brownies so I’d much rather serve them before they cool down!

• pokethecactus — November 28th, 2011 @ 3:10 am

You could try doing the rice crispy chocolate part early and have that cooled and ready to go and then when the brownies are done you just put it on top. It seems like the brownie bottom will be warm enough to melt the bottom of the chocolate part so they fuse alright.

Stephanie — November 8, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

I just want to say, I LOVE these brownies (I’ve made them multiple times, and they’ve always been a hit)!! And I love your blog! If ever I am craving some sort of delicious, and totally ingenious concoction of goodness, I always know just where to turn. Thanks for sharing all of your lovely experiements. :)

ha ha ha — November 11, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

i just have to say that reading the comments is a whole lot better than the actual recipe!

Jessica @ ChefHazard.com — November 15, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

Oh no! These are going straight to my thighs

TatianaIsabel — November 16, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Thought it was drugs :(

Maria — November 18, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

I’ve been looking for the perfect brownie recipe to make for my sister’s 25 birthday. This recipe is perfect! A true taste of childhood, I can picture us biting into these delectable treats while reminiscing about all the crazy things that sisters do. Thanks for sharing!

shay — November 19, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Thought this was a unique indulgent recipe for the holidays. so, thought Id tell you the teens loved them! But also have to say that if you gang up on a bunch of Americans , well, youre pretty much asking for trouble. had a great time read[ing both the recipe and the blogs, cites and links included.lol

Rino — November 19, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Just wondering if in fact you have ever tried crack? chances are you haven’t! It’s just a very bold statement to make. My g/f will be making this recipe tonight, I will let you know if in fact they are better than ole yeller.

Rino — November 19, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

Just tried a fresh batch…and I would honestly have to say even as bad as it sounds, crack it better! That is al.

• grammie2maddie — November 27th, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

ps – check your spelling – you are obvi an expert. or is it exper?

• Rino — January 1st, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

Hey grammie why don’t you sit back and enjoy a hot bowl of dicks!

grammie2maddie — November 27, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

For goodness sake, people. This is a private blog, and she may post whatever recipes she likes – it’s her blog. Could we all be a little more gentle – if you don’t like a recipe and/or blog, please go elsewhere. It’s not edifying to ANYONE to be negative, rude or ugly. Think how this blogger must feel reading these hurtful comments. If you don’t like the recipe please go elsewhere – not try to make someone feel small or inadequate. Please feel free to go to any ‘healthy’ website, and search for a different brownie recipe. BTW, Whole Foods whose byline is wholesome, whole, healthy foods, sells packaged brownie mixes as well. There’s enough ugly in the world to go around several times – kindness doesn’t cost a thing. PS – I have just made these brownies for a dinner party. I’m sure my very health conscious daughter-in-love will decine them. If there are leftovers I will take them to a potluck or to work to share.

Please think a little before you leave a biting comment. There was only one perfect person ever born. I tend to think it was not any of us.

• Danuta — December 21st, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Very well said, grammie2maddie…

eeek — November 27, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

looooool the comments are hilarious

Brian @ A Thought For Food — November 30, 2011 @ 12:00 am

Yeah… I’m not sure there’s anything better than these brownies. The salted peanuts is what really does it for me here.