Mac and cheese is my one true comfort food.

It is also probably my favorite dish – I would add just about anything to mac and cheese. I would totally eat my vegetables if eating them drenched in creamy cheese sauce was doable each night.

Do you know who else loves mac and cheese? Mr. How Sweet.

But he doesn’t love “souped up” mac and cheese. He asked for mac and cheese to be made with chicken this weekend, and I had visions of gourmet ramekins dancing in my head. Sweet caramelized onion and bacon would be just perfect.

So I shared my ideas with Mr. How Sweet and he just got mad. He wanted plain mac and cheese. Plain. Boring, old, vanilla. Noodles, cheese and chicken. That’s it.

Sometimes I forget that he still has the tastebuds of a 4-year old.

I semi-convinced him that it would be delicious and promised that he would love it. Actually, that didn’t work at all. But I made it anyway.

Because every other time I make something and he whines, he ends up eating the entire thing before I even get a plate.

And as usual, I ended up being right… again. I am his personal taste bud ambassador.

This may become a new staple in our house. The onions and peppers were caramelized but still crisp, and they added a touch of sweetness to the creamy cheese sauce. And the bacon… well you know that was just fabulous.

Chicken Mac and Cheese

1 1/2 lbs whole wheat pasta

2 boneless chicken breasts, grilled and chopped

3 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

1/2 red pepper, chopped

1/2 sweet onion, chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon flour

pinch of nutmeg

2 cups milk (I used skim)

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup shredded smoked gruyere cheese

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350.

Boil water for pasta and cook according to directions. In a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and saute onions and red pepper. While water is boiling, make sauce. In a medium saucepan on medium heat, add butter and flour and whisk together to create a roux. Add milk and cream, stirring constantly. Add cheeses and pinch of nutmeg, stirring consistently for 5-8 minutes until mixture thickens.

In a baking dish, layer pasta, chicken, pepper and onion mixture, and bacon, Add half of cheese sauce, then more pasta, chicken, peppers, onion and bacon. Add remaining cheese sauce.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Know what Mr. How Sweet ate with his chicken mac and cheese?

Chicken. In the form of rotisserie.

I am not even joking.

I am working on a FAQ page for How Sweet It Is. If there is a question you would like answered, feel free to leave it in the comments, use the contact form or ask anonymously (but kindly) here.

Have you voted for the adorable Morgan yet?

107 Responses to “Chicken Mac and Cheese.”

amanda — August 17, 2010 @ 4:03 am

See I could totally eat this…I am not a mac n’ cheese fan at all. Unless of course it is Veleveta’s shells and cheese. Which come to think of it, I haven’t had that in like 5 years…lol

Lynn @ The Next Chapter — August 17, 2010 @ 4:14 am

As usual that looks absolutely fantastic! I must try adding bacon to my Mac n Cheese next time I make it. :)

Courtney — August 17, 2010 @ 4:15 am

Yeah.. this is just wrong. I rather eat this than my breakfast! YUM! holy carbs. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 17, 2010 @ 4:19 am

I totally making this recipe!

BTW, Your pictures are gorgeous :)

Matt — August 17, 2010 @ 4:19 am

Phew… It has bacon ;)

Marilou — August 17, 2010 @ 4:25 am

I’ve quit trying to convince the BF that what I’m making will be delicious … I make it anyway, and most of the time, commit some white lies about what the dishes are containing!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 17, 2010 @ 4:28 am

I hear ya, it really is all in the wording. I couldn’t call that mac and cheese here and get away with it. I am sure the boys would like it though. All I would have to say is bacon.

Kim in MD — August 17, 2010 @ 4:31 am

Bacon makes everything better! :-) This looks amazing, and I love that you sneek some veggies in…I can’t wait to make this for my family! Thanks, Jessica!

Wei-Wei — August 17, 2010 @ 4:34 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Mac and cheese and nicely seasoned chicken together is heaven. But then again it doesn’t really need seasoning because the bacon IS the seasoning. :D

Wei-Wei

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — August 17, 2010 @ 4:45 am

Jess, that looks amazing! I think my husband would love this! I just put a little gold star on this post in my google reader!

• Jessica — August 17th, 2010 @ 4:45 am

Thanks girl!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — August 17, 2010 @ 4:49 am

Ohhh I can tell you right now my husband would DIG this. And I would too… because it has bacon in it. And bacon makes everything better, as you know ;)

xo
    Kris

Sophie @ yumventures — August 17, 2010 @ 5:22 am

You know, I’ve never actually made mac and cheese?! I will have to put then on my fall recipes list! Yum! Love the add ins.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 17, 2010 @ 5:23 am

That is some intense cheese lovin’. Yum.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — August 17, 2010 @ 5:27 am

I usually don’t discuss what I’m making for my husband and he usually just eats doesn’t ask. haha I just made baked ziti last night I think next week I’ll try this. :)

Chrissy — August 17, 2010 @ 5:28 am

I love that last picture… BTW, just so you know, I think you are the ONLY one who thinks your photos aren’t fantabulous. I showed my photo buff boyfriend your pictures and he was wowed also.

• Jessica — August 17th, 2010 @ 5:32 am

Really?! Wow, that almost made me cry. Thank you!!

Caitlin — August 17, 2010 @ 5:30 am

As if an entire pantry full of snacks in my parents house wasn’t enough to entice me, now you gotta throw THIS curveball in my face. It’s 7 a.m. and I want it right NOW.

Heather — August 17, 2010 @ 5:40 am

oh my gosh, that is hilarious! i really really want this…and am now drooling all over the empty desk in front of me…

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 17, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Oh man, that picture of the melty cheesy goodness….

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — August 17, 2010 @ 6:02 am

Once again you’ve out done yourself here…I need to make this. It reminds me of a dish I get at a local cajun restaurant – so yummy!

Kara @ MyWellnest — August 17, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Mac and cheese is my favorite comfort food too :-) Love the addition of red peppers!

Liz — August 17, 2010 @ 6:31 am

Oh my…I’m in trouble with this one. I LOOOVE mac and cheese, but am always looking for a way to incorporate protein into it. Love it!!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — August 17, 2010 @ 6:38 am

My husband does the same thing! If i tell him about a dish and explain it’s contents he will frown….but if I just make the dish and I don’t tell him what’s inside, he loves it!!! Men are so funny =)

This mac and cheese looks great! If I told my husband it had onions he would refuse to try it but if I didn’t tell him, he would never know and wonder what the great flavor comes from. hehe

Lori @ RecipeGirl — August 17, 2010 @ 6:40 am

Love that there’s some bacon squeezed in there too! YUM!

CC Recipe — August 17, 2010 @ 6:41 am

I am a Mac and Cheese gal and this, oh….this looks fab!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — August 17, 2010 @ 6:43 am

That looks FABULOUS! I love mac ‘n cheese, but I especially like it with like of fluff (veggies) for volume. :)

Jenn

newlywed — August 17, 2010 @ 6:46 am

So glad I’m not the only grown-up with a mac and cheese obsession!

Rae — August 17, 2010 @ 6:48 am

I love adding all kinda of stuff in MNC! Bacon is always awesome! And I like using corkscrew pasta too, I think it holds on to the cheese better than shells or elbow mac.

marla {family fresh cooking} — August 17, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Bacon & chicken??!!! Gosh does Mr. Sweet get spoiled :) This mac and cheese sounds delicious. You also swooned me with the thought of the caramelized onions. YUM! xo

Kate @ Cozydelicious — August 17, 2010 @ 7:02 am

This looks awesome. Totally my kind of mac and cheese. Plus a one-pot meal, awesome! Funny about your husband… My husband has always said he enjoys my homemade mac and cheese (I often sneak in some veggies, he rarely complains). But the other day he made himself the bright orange kind from the box. He came to show me his bowl and said “see, this is what REAL mac and cheese iss upposed to look like”.

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes — August 17, 2010 @ 7:05 am

Hi! Just found your blog and love it. The Mac and Cheese looks amazing. I’m drooling on my work computer right this second.

BIOCHEMISTA — August 17, 2010 @ 7:07 am

This.sounds.fantastic!!!!! I loooooove Mac N Cheese! I’m allergic to parm so I’d like to try this with Laughing cow/cottage cheese/cheddar. The bacon addition sounds amazing as well. As a kid my mom would cut up a hot dog and mix it in, LOL.

• BIOCHEMISTA — August 17th, 2010 @ 7:08 am

And PS…I love reading other foodie’s blogs that also eat MEAT! :) :)

Erica — August 17, 2010 @ 7:10 am

YUM YUM YUM! This looks so cheesy! I want to eat this right now ha!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — August 17, 2010 @ 7:15 am

I love mac & cheese too and would totally eat it every day if I could!

Sues — August 17, 2010 @ 7:20 am

Yum!!! I recently made a buffalo chicken mac and cheese and it was SO good!! My boyfriend is the same way too… He never thinks he’s going to like things, but then I make them and he does!

christina — August 17, 2010 @ 7:21 am

holy moly. this looks incredible. i love that he had a side of chicken! haha!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — August 17, 2010 @ 7:39 am

Yum! That sure does sound good. Anything mac & cheese and i’m in. :)

Tracy — August 17, 2010 @ 7:42 am

This looks full of goodness! I’ve never tried putting anything else until our mac and cheese, and now I’m excited to experiment. :-)

Marg — August 17, 2010 @ 7:43 am

This looks so good!! I love how you made it into a meal.

Angela — August 17, 2010 @ 7:48 am

At least Mr. How Sweet eats chicken – my chubby hubby (actually just my bf but whatever) won’t touch it. And its so lean. Its infuriating he’s a red meat man. Regardless, he might go for this, especially since its smothered in cheese. The caramelized onions add a beautiful touch. I really want to try this out. Yum!

• Jessica — August 17th, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

I think he and Mr. How Sweet would be the best of friends.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — August 17, 2010 @ 7:49 am

I recently concocted my very first homemade mac and cheese (and it was super healthy) and tasty. Yours looks phenom! I love the smoked gruyere in there…yjmmmmmmm

Paige (running around normal) — August 17, 2010 @ 7:54 am

Hahah – glad you convinced him that gourmet is better than powdered cheese/box form. I’m sure the bacon helped;)

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — August 17, 2010 @ 7:59 am

Mac & Cheese is one of my favorite foods too. Unfortunately, the husband really only likes the kind in a blue box….I guess that means more of the good stuff for me!

TheHealthyApron — August 17, 2010 @ 8:09 am

I really enjoy mac n’ cheese that has something extra! The sweet pepper addition is a great way to get in those veggies! Although, perhaps the heavy cream cancels it out? lol

• Jessica — August 17th, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

No way! It has… calcium? Hahaha.

Kristina — August 17, 2010 @ 8:10 am

I totally voted for sweet morgan :)

I have a question for you, and I’ll just ask it here… can I come live there and eat every meal with you two? :)

• Jessica — August 17th, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Yes please!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — August 17, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Looks absolutely delicious!

Deidra — August 17, 2010 @ 8:54 am

It looks Yummy!! I can’t wait to try it!

Dana — August 17, 2010 @ 8:55 am

Caramelized onion and pepper mac and cheese? Sign me up!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — August 17, 2010 @ 8:56 am

The caramelized onions in this dish are winning me over. Seriously. And the pictures are GORGEOUS!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 17, 2010 @ 9:06 am

I am TOTALLY making this next week. The hubby and I are both HUGE pasta, cheese, and bacon lovers. This recipe could not get any better!!!

Becky Bakes — August 17, 2010 @ 9:23 am

This looks absolutely delicious!! I can’t wait until I can make it…bookmarking now!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chicken Mac and Cheese. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Chicken Mac and Cheese « Meeshiesmom's Blog