I don’t have many words about this concoction.

I love cobblers, and when I discovered there was such a thing as chocolate cobbler? I just about lost my marbles. How could something so wonderful exist? Whoever created this recipe had me in mind. No doubt.

I imagined pieces of chocolate and your typical “dough.” Never did I think it was 100% chock full of chocolate goodness.

Clearly I couldn’t contain myself.

I ate most of it right out of the dish.

Though it is fabulous when hot and mixed with cold ice cream.

And not only is is scrumptious, but it is so easy.  It’s fast too.

There is only one way I can describe this dessert: batter. It is like brownie batter or cake batter, mixed with fluffy cake and chewy brownies all in one.

It might be the most sinful dessert I ever made. My thighs agree.

Chocolate Cobbler

from Taste of Home

1 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup milk

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup packed brown sugar

1-3/4 cups hot water

Preheat oven to 350.

In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa. Stir in milk and oil. Pour into a baking dish – I used an 8-inch oval. Combine the brown sugar and remaining cocoa and sprinkle over batter. Pour hot water over top (do not stir). Bake for 40-45 minutes.

This rocked my socks off.

You have to try it this weekend. Or just make it for breakfast.

139 Responses to “Chocolate Cobbler.”

Jennifer — August 3, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

Ah I’m so excited about this post! I’m actually not a fan of peach or anything cobbler because my taste for fruit is so limited, I know I’m weird. But this looks so good, I’m definitely going to try it out.

Yum Yucky — August 3, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

daaamn!!!!! It’s foodgasmic.

Yum Yucky — August 3, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

oh, and I have ALL the ingredients to make this right now. sha-POW.

Ashley — August 3, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

Your recipes make me lose my marbles every single day. How about banana chocolate cobbler? mmmm

Jessica — August 3, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

Whoa…that looks DELICIOUS. I am seriously drooling over this one! I can’t wait to try it out.

Lisa @bakebikeblog — August 3, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

ooooh yummo! This looks like a perfect wintery dessert :) So rich and comforting!

Suzy — August 3, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

Holy. clearly it was a BAD idea to come to your website while I’m trying to lose weight!

Mary (A Merry Life) — August 3, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

That looks AMAZING.

I know I say that a lot, but it’s always true.

tricia — August 3, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum!

Cara — August 3, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

Looks blissfully delicious!

Emily — August 3, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

YUM! We called this hot fudge pudding cake growing up and I love it so much. I also know how to make both a cinnamon & chocolate chip version. Let me know if you’re interested!

• Monstah — August 2nd, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

Can I put melted chocolate instead of cocoa powder?

Jackie — August 3, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

This looks awesome. I am a terrible, terrible baker. I WILL burn anything I bake every time. You’re lucky you can bake and not burn.

Lauren — August 3, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

Do you suppose it would work if you threw chocolate chips in as well? Not that you’d need them…but hey…if you’re gonna go for the gold….

Katie @ cozydelicious — August 3, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

Oh, wow. That looks so dangerous. You are killing me! I want it NOW! But it may have to wait for this weekend… counting down the days…

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — August 3, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

Ohhhh. and Ahhhhhh! I LOVE anything chocolate and that looks scrumptious!!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 3, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

Oh wow… I am not even sure what to say. Looks amazing!

katie — August 3, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

hahah love what you said about your thighs! LOL. yeahh girl! that looks INCREDIBLE

southern hostess — August 3, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

All this time and I never knew! It looks amazing.

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — August 3, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

Only you are brave enough to come up with something as well, slightly gluttoneous as this. Lol I just saw the title I shook my head a little. It looks fabulous!

Lorin — August 3, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

It looks like a brownie, but a reallly good brownie!!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] — August 3, 2010 @ 11:08 pm

YUM x 100! A chocolate addict’s dream drug!

Shawn — August 4, 2010 @ 12:29 am

Oh yes…that hits the spot!!

BTW- I know you’re fixation with bacon {I’m a fan too}, I just made a dish with bacon…gotta check it out!!

Suzanne — August 4, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Oh my goodness, that looks so good!

Just arrived at your site… Great blog Jessica!

-Suzanne

Janelle — August 4, 2010 @ 6:12 am

Seriously!!!!! This is getting made TODAY! I just need to run to the store and get milk. Then it’s going to be ovah! LOL Thanks!

Tamara — August 4, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Oh my, I love this, my grandma used to make this on Sundays when we’d go eat at her house. Here’s the thing, double (at least) the 2 Tbsp cocoa in the batter (cocoa has protein, fiber, and not much fat, so ummm, that makes it healthier right?), and sub boiling whole milk for the water in the final step—-so much worse for you, but sooooo yummy!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 4, 2010 @ 10:48 am

I am on a major chocolate kick right now – so HECK yeah!!!!

That sounds good and chocolaty.

Hazel — August 4, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

Oh my. I almost died when I saw these pics! Can’t wait to make it and thanks so much for sharing (and making me drool haha).

Erin @ Making Memories — August 4, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

Oh my good golly! This look heavenly!!!!

Susie — August 4, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

I made this last night and I didn’t like it that much… I can see that it would be much better with vanilla ice cream though. I could taste the flour too much.

• Amy — January 22nd, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

I tried this too. Something is off with this recipe. It does not turn out right. It is too thick and you cannot ‘pour’ it into the pan. It came out with a thick cake-like batter. It is a good recipe, but I have had more success in the past with this one: https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=4761

Crystal (Bye Bye Fat Pants) — August 4, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

Hey, just wanted you to know that I nominated you for a blog award :)

Taylor — August 4, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

Holy chocolatey goodness! This looks to die for!!

CaSaundra — August 5, 2010 @ 5:43 am

I can almost imagine the heavenly scent of this coming out of the oven..and of course I am trying to imagine how yummy it would taste too! ;-)

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — August 13, 2010 @ 8:22 am

I’m speechless!

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine — August 21, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

okay, I am making these ASAP :)

Hayley — October 8, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

Looks FANTASTIC! You’ve made one stressed out college kid truly happy. How many servings does the recipe make?

• Jessica — October 8th, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

Thanks! It really depends… I say about 4-6, but it depends on the size of the servings. ;)

Beezle — October 8, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

This recipe looks and sounds so delicious…will you please give me an idea of how big of a baking vessel to use? You wrote that you used an 8 inch oval..but was it one quart…two quarts..might one use an 8 inch cake tin…? Thank you for any help you can give me…I really want to make this dessert as I am a true chocolohic…

• Jessica — October 8th, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

The original recipe calls for an 8 inch square baking dish, so I think a cake tin would work too!

HefiA — October 8, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

Wow! Looks great! Definitely will have to try the recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Reka

Sarah@buttered-up — October 9, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Whaaaaa?!! You just shocked me. I saw this on your list of favorite chocolate things and this was the only thing that really screamed, sighed and moaned my name. Thank you so much for exciting me to pieces. Bookmarked! :D

Aunt Lollie — October 9, 2010 @ 7:21 am

Oh my gosh! This looks absolutely delicious.

Usually i bookmark those recipes i want to make in the near future (especially since my printer is broken), but this one i not only bookmarked, i just wrote out in long hand!

My niece treats herself to chocolate one time a month. I know what i’m making her for her next chocolate fix!

BTW, do you have a fantastic, favorite, chocolate chip cookie recipe?

Alex — November 13, 2010 @ 11:20 pm

This looks SOOO good!
    Do you think you could sub in 1 cup whole wheat flour for the white flour?

• Jessica — November 13th, 2010 @ 11:22 pm

I haven’t tried it personally, but I would think it would be fine. Whole wheat pastry flour (as opposed to regular whole wheat) may be better and less gritty. Let me know if you try!

• Alex — November 17th, 2010 @ 1:30 am

I used the whole wheat flour.
        Verdict?

Delicious

“My thighs agree” :P

• Jessica — November 17th, 2010 @ 1:36 am

Woohoo!

Serena — December 2, 2010 @ 8:33 am

This looks amazing. I must try to vegan-ize this :D

Sarah — January 2, 2011 @ 12:12 am

I just made this for dessert tonight. I’m not sure if maybe I made an error or what happened but it doesn’t really look like your picture. It basically looks like a chocolate cake floating on top of a sea of chocolate fudge. Did I do something wrong or is this actually what it’s supposed to be? It tasted fantastic, but wish the fudge part was more mixed throughout the cake as opposed to something I’d have to spoon on top.

• Jessica — January 2nd, 2011 @ 1:09 am

Underneath the cake layer it is almost like a chocolate “pudding” – chances are you may have needed to bake it a little longer (oven temperatures all differ) just to get the top to firm up more. But that is what it is supposed to be like!

Vanie — January 3, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Okay…i was checking this post in the midnight…and now i seriously need some cake with ice cream…..the cake needs to be a little warm and i need cold ice cream with it…oh!! You the devil!!

Stacy — January 5, 2011 @ 2:55 am

Cracker Barrel use to have a dessert called Chocolate Cobbler just like this, but it had nuts in it, too. They served it with vanilla ice cream & hot fudge. I really miss it, so I think I’ll be trying this out!

Lori Delgado — February 14, 2011 @ 9:45 am

Hi Jessica :) I made this tonight for our Valentine’s dessert and OF COURSE we had some warm out of the oven! OMG! Girl this is so good! I used whole wheat pastry flour and turbinado sugar instead of white. I let it sit for a few minutes and then the bottom “fudginess” thickened some. It was very good and we loved it! Can’t wait to try your other recipes!

• Jessica — February 14th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

So glad you liked it!

May — March 30, 2011 @ 12:26 am

Hi Jessica,

I’m a big fan of your blog. I tried your version, however,I think its not as chocolatey as I thought it should be ! You see, when it comes to baked good, the richer the better =p

May I please recommend something else ? You see, I modified the recipe a little.

Instead of pouring the Hot Water over the flour mixture, try pouring HOT COCOA!

You can make the hot cocoa by combining (1-3/4 cup of Hot water + 3 TBS cocoa powder + 3 TBS sugar)

Now, please don’t hate me. I know you want it.

Regards,
    May

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 6:44 am

Sounds delicious!

Clare — April 8, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

Oh my goodness I just keep on coming back and staring at these pictures.

Tanvee — November 16, 2011 @ 9:13 am

I made this last night and stood over the stove shoveling spoonfuls in my mouth while pretending that I was actually just examining it. This is so SO delicious!! Do you think it’ll taste okay reheated? I’m scared it might get mushy in the microwave…

Thanks for the easy and amazing recipe =)

• Jessica — November 16th, 2011 @ 10:56 am

I think so!

Hannah — February 3, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

GOD!!! This was wonderful!! all your recipes are wonderful :D I added a chopped banana and used half water half milk at the end. NOMNOMNOM. Thank you!!!!!