Buffalo chicken pizza is one food we agree on in our house.

And as you can imagine, Mr. How Sweet loves it since it has chicken – his sweet elixir of life.

When it comes to pizzas, I rarely make the same thing twice. I throw whatever I have on them… except veggies obviously. I mean, I want to enjoy my pizza. Not eat rabbit food on it.

What you can always find on my pizzas is loads of cheese. I bet you’re shocked at that one.

I start with my favorite part – adding a ranch + blue cheese + buffalo wing sauce as a “sauce” for the pizza. This adds a ton of flavor and I don’t have to use my nemesis – tomato sauce.

Next goes on some cheese, and then the chicken.

If there is cheese that has somehow not made it into my mouth, more goes on top.

Next comes a big drizzle of buffalo wing sauce, to spice things up. And then I add gorgonzola on top. I don’t tell Mr. How Sweet. He eats it anyway.

I’m sneaky like that.

Easy Buffalo Chicken Pizza

dough:

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon dry active yeast

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup lukewarm water

Mix flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add water, oil and honey, and stir to form a ball. Finish bringing together with hands and knead for a minute or too. Place in lightly oiled bowl and cover, letting rise for 2-3 hours.

Remove from bowl and punch down. Place back in the bowl and let rise for another 30 minutes.

Dough should be ready for use.

pizza:

1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce

1/4 cup blue cheese dressing

1/4 cup ranch dressing

10 ounces chicken, shredded

1 cup shredded, smoked cheddar cheese

1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola

buffalo wing sauce for drizzling

Preheat over to 375.

Roll out pizza dough so it fits a pan – I use with a square baking sheet or 10-inch round pan. In a bowl, mix buffalo wing sauce, blue cheese and ranch. Spread over dough as a sauce. Top with 1/2 cup each of cheddar and jack cheeses. Add chicken on top, then remaining cheeses including parmesan. Drizzle liberally with buffalo wing sauce. Add crumbled gorgonzola on top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.

The final step is to devour it. Or in my case, battle my husband for the final piece.

67 Responses to “Easy Buffalo Chicken Pizza – Step by Step.”

Erica — August 6, 2010 @ 4:18 am

Wow the outcome looks perfect- the cheese is browned to perfection. Josh loves anything buffalo chicken. Nice work chicky

Wei-Wei — August 6, 2010 @ 4:44 am

The cheese looks amazing melted. There’s a little typo in the title by the way, not to be nitpicky but… :P

Wei-Wei

• Jessica — August 6th, 2010 @ 4:57 am

What is the typo??

• Wei-Wei — August 6th, 2010 @ 8:25 am

I don’t know if I was just seeing things, but it looks fine now? It used to say Buffalo Chicken PIzza, with the capital I in the “Pizza”.

Wei-Wei

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 6, 2010 @ 4:51 am

We love doing different types of pizzas here too! Love the hot sauce on this. Well, let’s be honest…I love hot sauce! It looks delicious! Have a great Friday!!!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — August 6, 2010 @ 5:10 am

This looks great. I’ve never had a buffalo chicken pizza but I hear great things…how can it be bad?! This looks like an easy enough recipe to get me started! Thanks!

pam (pamcakes and eggs) — August 6, 2010 @ 5:45 am

This looks delicious! My husband would love this!! Is it weird that we fight about ranch dressing constantly? I’m anti-ranch but I think I’d concede for this recipe.

Tracy — August 6, 2010 @ 5:49 am

I LOVE buffalo chicken pizza. It’s one of my favorite dinners to make, especially when football season starts. :-)

homecookedem — August 6, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Yum, I think Buffalo Chicken Pizza might be my favorite kind of pizza. I love spicy, hot hot hot!!!!! :)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — August 6, 2010 @ 6:37 am

That looks so wonderful….

DessertForTwo — August 6, 2010 @ 6:44 am

This looks like it’s man-friendly and cowgirl friendly too! It’s so hard to keep the manly meat-and-potatoes cowboy in my house happy, since I have vegetarian tendencies.

Thanks for sharing :)

megan — August 6, 2010 @ 6:57 am

yum yum yum! I used to use bbq sauce as the ‘tomato’ sauce and it kind of made me feel sick. I can’t wait to try your sauce mixture…that sounds so much better than my previous attempts.

A Teenage Gourmet — August 6, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Um, yum. :) This would go really well with my tomato dressing.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 6, 2010 @ 7:27 am

i love buffalo chicken pizza! i don’t make it that often b/c the hubby isn’t a huge fan…he’d rather just eat his weight in the wings instead :)

Liz — August 6, 2010 @ 7:35 am

I never thought about mixing the wing sauce, bleu cheese, and ranch together, but that’s a great idea. I was recently at a restaurant where they made wings with ranch and buffalo sauce mixed together – great idea, and even better for pizza (my favorite food)!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — August 6, 2010 @ 7:47 am

That looks so professionally done — impressive! And very very tasty looking!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 6, 2010 @ 8:00 am

That last picture with the cheese and melty and everything… Be still my heart!

Matt — August 6, 2010 @ 8:27 am

OMG that looks so good!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — August 6, 2010 @ 8:41 am

I have often dreamed up this pizza but have never made it! I need to now…yours looks so good!

vanillasugar — August 6, 2010 @ 8:54 am

a staple in our house too, but hubby hates it which is awesome–more for me. i love leftovers cold.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 6, 2010 @ 9:31 am

The final product is perfect!!!! What a great recipe!

Jenna — August 6, 2010 @ 10:38 am

Honey in the pizza dough is such a brilliant idea!

The boy has been dropping some hints about buffalo chicken pizza lately so maybe I should act on his request and cook this up!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — August 6, 2010 @ 11:58 am

This looks so good! I love buffalo chicken pizza!

Alison — August 6, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

Hey, is that you in my Whirl newsletter? (pause for scroll to profile pic) It is totally you. Super cute dress!! What event was that, and what’s that blue drink?

p.s. Wei-Wei is right – the title of this page in the browser is Buffalo Chicken PIzza.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 6, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

Girl I never eat pizza. I think I am the only one. no cheese, no gluten, no meat for me. So yeah, i do miss pizza with pineapple and hot peppers. That was how i used to eat it when i was a kid. The gluten in pizza just kills me for about…a month. Ugh.

Ok have a great weekend hon and hope that your week was fabulous!!!!!!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — August 6, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

This looks awesome! Thanks for posting.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 6, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

i have never had buffalo chicken pizza! that looks delicious and beautiful! I would love to have a bite :) just a bite though hehe

Alexa@Living La Vida Pura — August 6, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

Hey now, don’t dis veggies on pizza! They may not be as amazingly decadent as buffalo chicken as a topping, but when you get some nicely caramelized onion and melt-in-your-mouth tomato… How sweet THAT is!

Karly — August 6, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

Oh. My. Word.

That looks amazing. I want that RIGHT NOW. I guess I’ll have to wait til dinner tomorrow night. Or maybe lunch. Yeah. Lunch!

katie — August 6, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

I LOVE pizza these days! and anything with buffalo sauce.. i die! YUM Jess!!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — August 6, 2010 @ 9:14 pm

I’ve never made a Buffalo chicken pizza, but have wanted to for awhile. That looks amazing. Next time I make homemade pizza, I’m making it Buffalo! :)

Jenn

CaSaundra — August 7, 2010 @ 5:29 am

Love, love, love buffalo chicken pizza–I think it almost takes my number one spot for fav pizza combo.

ashleigh — August 7, 2010 @ 7:45 am

I love buffalo flavored things.. my mom recently bought buffalo flavored popcorn! Sounds amazing right?

Paula — August 7, 2010 @ 8:42 am

looks so tasty!

teresa — August 7, 2010 @ 8:43 am

This looks fabulous Jessica!
    Glad you shared the recipe for the dough!
    Taking my first HOT yoga class tomorrow! ;o)
    ENjoyed following your trip on twitter!
    xo

Hayley — August 7, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

Why is cheese SO good?

Leah — August 7, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

I love making pizza, and I always try and use something other than tomato sauce on it. Im just not a big fan of tomato sauce. This is SUCH a good idea!

Sues — August 7, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

My boyfriend would absolutely DIE for this!! I better make it for him before he discovers other girls making it for their men :)

It looks awesome!!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 7, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

My bf would looove this. He’s not a gorgonzola fan either…how do you sneak it on there without Mr. Sweet being able to taste it??

sophia — August 7, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

OMG…cheese…I LOVE that you don’t skimp on the most important ingredient for pizza! I love the base you used, too!

Heidi M — August 8, 2010 @ 8:24 am

Just found your blog from a link on Oh She Glows! I also love cheese! :)

Never thought of using buffalo sauce for pizza! Ill be trying that out next!

Thanks for the great idea!

Blond Duck — August 8, 2010 @ 8:50 am

I’ve been craving pizza and thrilled to see a whole wheat dough! Trying!

Ingrid — August 8, 2010 @ 10:23 am

Buffalo pizza! I’m going to try this tonight! Yum!!!

Raquel — August 8, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

My hubby loves buffalo chicken anything! This is one that is worth a try and your “sauce” is a nice touch.

eatmovelove — August 8, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Okay – I challenge anyone who thinks they like pizza more than me ;)…this is STELLAR and YES – finally!!! – someone in the blogsosphere who loads their ‘zza with cheese like me! :)

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — August 9, 2010 @ 4:10 am

Every time I try to be sneaky and add blue cheese to our pizzas my boyfriend can sniff it from the livingroom :D

Amanda — August 9, 2010 @ 4:43 am

Gorgeous!! This looks amazing. I love the sauce!!

Amanda

Monique — August 10, 2010 @ 9:22 am

I made this on the weekend but the recipe didn’t say how much water to add.. So I just added a cup.. My dough didn’t rise.. but other than that it was delicious! :)

• Jessica — August 10th, 2010 @ 9:30 am

So sorry! Fixed it!

• Monique — August 10th, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Is it terrible that I want to make it again? But with Bacon.. and chocolate.. haha just kidding.. maybe.. thanks for the quick fix Jessica! :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 15, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

This pizza looks great! I know it would be a big hit in my house… I think I might have to make it for our next pizza and movie night with friends!

snowflakes2hotcakes — September 29, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

Hey, there – I have been a reader of your blog for a long time. I just made this buffalo chicken pizza last night and it was INCREDIBLE!!! And I’m a Buffalo aficionado, so that’s saying something. I blogged about it, but don’t know how to do a “link back” to post here on your comments, but wanted to let you know. :-) I did post a link on my blog back here to your blog for this recipe, and gave you credit, and encouraged them to come check out your site! :-)

ThePony — October 11, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

I made this pizza with my boyfriend this weekend….it was AMAZING!!! The cheese combo is restaurant quality for sure!
    Thanks for the GREAT (& guy-friendly!) recipes – Keep ‘em coming…from one Pittsburgher to another!

Melody — October 20, 2011 @ 12:29 am

I don’t cook. Ever. But I always browse your site and fantasize about producing the deliciousness. And when I saw this I gave it a shot anyways since it looked so damn good, but not without giving my boyfriend a disclaimer.

We were completely blown away by how amazing it was! I followed this recipe to a T, and it tasted AWESOME. Thank you! I am currently writing down some others to try out. ;)

• Jessica — October 20th, 2011 @ 8:10 am

So glad you liked it!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Buffalo Chicken PIzza - Step by Step | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Burgers. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Perogi Pizza | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Homemade French Bread Pizzas | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: TRADITIONAL January 2011 OAMM Menu (OAMC, Once A Month Cooking, Freezer Cooking) from Once A Month Mom | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

6. Pingback: Saturday. | Legal Eats