Forgive Me.

Or maybe thank me?

I think I discovered the secret to eating only one cookie in a sitting.

Okay, maybe two cookies.

Three tops.

Just dip half of it in chocolate.

And yes, of course I used milk chocolate.

To me, milk chocolate is the only way to go. Dark chocolate is… okay. I’m not a huge fan. I’m sure that says something about me in the “foodie” and “tastebuds” department, but guess what? I don’t care. Give me milk chocolate or give me none.

Well, that’s a lie. I’d still probably take dark over nothing. I’m weak.

So I guess you want a recipe for the chocolate chip cookies?

They definitely aren’t my own. For the last year I have been obsessed with the New York Time’s chocolate chip cookies.

I can’t even make any other recipe. They are just so delicious.

Mr. How Sweet concurs.

He’s never really come out and told me that, but I can sense it.

You know, since he stands over the sink shoveling 7 cookies in his mouth with a Diet Coke in hand and everything.

The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

from The New York Times

2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour

1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter

1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/4 pounds chocolate chips

Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.

Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Reduce to low speed and add dry ingredients slowly, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 24-36 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.

Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 10-12 minutes. (The original recipe calls for larger cookies and a longer bake time, but I use a bit less dough and shorten the time in the oven.

Lesson learned: chocolate-dipped cookies are much more rich and satisfying than non-chocolate-dipped cookies.

But I still manage to eat more than one. Shocking, I know.

138 Responses to “Forgive Me.”

amanda — August 24, 2010 @ 4:01 am

These look so delicious and I am huge fan of any cookie. BTW, if you want some really good milkchocolate have a MILKA bar. I fell in love with those chocolate bars while in Europe and have seen recently you can get them at a lot of Target stores.

michelle @ The Domestic Mama — August 24, 2010 @ 4:11 am

Ooo- yum, and great photos, too. I need to try that recipe!

Matt — August 24, 2010 @ 4:12 am

You shouldn’t be allowed to post pictures like this. It’s not fair!

Erica — August 24, 2010 @ 4:18 am

They’re beautiful :) The type of flours used in that cookie are really interesting! I bet it has a very different flavor.

Serena @ Seriously Soupy — August 24, 2010 @ 4:28 am

Wow, those look amazing and I really want one, even though it’s only 7:20.:)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — August 24, 2010 @ 4:31 am

I really wish I could go on the How Sweet diet, where I’d eat nothing but your fantabulous baked goods all day. If I ever have a month left to live, you better bet your bottom dollar I’ll make every single recipe on this blog and eat it in one sitting :) You are a genius, my dear!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble)) — August 24, 2010 @ 4:40 am

Personally, I think dipping them in chocolate would only make me eat MORE ;)

xo
    Kris

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 24, 2010 @ 4:48 am

Yeah, I’m not sure this would keep me from eating MORE cookies than my share. But they look freakin’ awesome!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — August 24, 2010 @ 4:56 am

Oooh this is such a fabulous idea! Chocolate chip cookies always need more chocolate…!

Wei-Wei — August 24, 2010 @ 5:04 am

I forgive you. Then you can post more. :D

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — August 24, 2010 @ 5:06 am

I’ve made these, they are hands down best chocolate chip cookie ever. Love love love them!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — August 24, 2010 @ 5:22 am

You can bake for me ANY day! (Pretty please!)

Kat — August 24, 2010 @ 5:22 am

WoW what a great twist to the chocolate chip cookie. I’m drooling.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — August 24, 2010 @ 5:25 am

100% concur about milk chocolate. This is why we’re friends.

Heather — August 24, 2010 @ 5:25 am

i could feel my waistband growing as i read this…

…better hide this post from nate…

Sophie @ yumventures — August 24, 2010 @ 5:26 am

What a great idea! Though I would probably end up dipping almost the whole thing in chocolate. Can never have too much.

Kate @ Cozydelicious — August 24, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Jessica you are killing me! Dipping them in chocolate would only make me eat MORE of them, not less! Danger zone! But they do look fantastic.

megan — August 24, 2010 @ 5:32 am

I’ve tried countless versions of chocolate chip cookies, but for some reason haven’t tried the ny times version that everyone raves about. That definitely has to change. I seriously love chocolate chip cookies and have found so many “favorite” recipes…one more can’t hurt

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 24, 2010 @ 5:39 am

The bread flour does amazing things to cookies, doesn’t it? Those look dangerous and so delicious! Love that he eats them with a diet coke…it is all a balance! Have a great day Jessica!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 24, 2010 @ 5:42 am

DEEEEELICIOUS!!!!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — August 24, 2010 @ 5:54 am

I think that everything is better dipped in chocolate:-)

Terri A. — August 24, 2010 @ 5:55 am

This has become my favorite recipe, too. The first time I made them, I brought them into work (for fear that I’d eat every one of them) and, after eating one, someone told me that it was the chocolate chip cookie to judge all others by. Now I’m going to have to make them again so I can dip them in chocolate. YUM!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 24, 2010 @ 5:58 am

I have made these cookies before (sans chocolate) and they were ridiculous. I can only imagine how much the ridic factor increases when you dip them in chocolate…

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — August 24, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Great photos of GREAT cookies :P

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — August 24, 2010 @ 6:10 am

So….I don’t think this would stop me from eating more cookies – haha!

I love dipping things in chocolate for a little extra touch. When I bake cookies to give as gifts I often do this because it makes it feel a little more gourmet, a little more special. I usually go one step further and sprinkle chopped peanuts on some, drizzle a little white chocolate over the dark for added color, etc. They make a beautiful package!

Angela — August 24, 2010 @ 6:14 am

Perfection. Those cookies look amazing, just the right shade too. I hate when my CCC are too dark. I would have to dip mine in dark chocolate though. I love dark chocolate. Always have, even as a child. Strange, I know.

Kristy — August 24, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Holy yum!!! Those look perfect! :)

Nichole — August 24, 2010 @ 6:19 am

That’s got nothing on the black and white cookie! MMMM

Lizzy @ LBBakes — August 24, 2010 @ 6:21 am

These look great! I dunk my cookies in milk and white chocolate at Christmas, and then sprinkle ‘em with holiday sprinkles. :) They are delightful!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — August 24, 2010 @ 6:28 am

I’ll forgive you. This time.

Kacy — August 24, 2010 @ 6:33 am

I am 100% in favor of milk chocolate over dark chocolate. I like the Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt, but I don’t really think that counts.

Have you ever tried a cc cookie recipe that contained vanilla pudding mix? So good.

• Jessica — August 24th, 2010 @ 6:35 am

I love the sea salt Lindt too… so good. And yes, I think my aunt used to make cookies that way? I remember they are delicious!

Leandra — August 24, 2010 @ 6:48 am

THOSE COOKIES – a friend made them for a bridal shower and I had to push everyone out of the way to make sure I had enough….

Camille — August 24, 2010 @ 7:44 am

Epic score! Chocolate covered in chocolate? Yes please!

R @ Learning As I Chop — August 24, 2010 @ 8:08 am

Interesting! Might have to try these…

Talia @Texas Gunslinger — August 24, 2010 @ 8:19 am

OMG, I would eat the entire batch in one sitting! Then, I’d make up an excuse as to why they are gone. I think I need to buy a dog to blame for finishing off good eats HAHA! YUM^2!!!

Eliana — August 24, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Oh man – I’ve got some chocolate chip cookies sitting on my counter at home right now. So I will surely be doing this to them when I get home tonight. Sounds incredible.

Mr. How Sweet It Is — August 24, 2010 @ 8:26 am

Mr. How Sweet is stopping at the grocery store to pick up a 6 pack of Diet Coke and is going to polish off the rest of these cookies tonight. Just in case anyone is wondering what my plans are for this evening.

Kristina — August 24, 2010 @ 8:29 am

ha! good plan, Mr How Sweet! I may spend my evening making these cookies… I was planning on making a brownie… I just don’t know! :)

Kelly — August 24, 2010 @ 8:34 am

You’re adorable. Your writing makes me smile without fail. Though I have to kindly disagree on the chocolate front. I used to be all milk chocolate but lately it tastes way too sweet to me now that I’ve discovered dark chocolate. Everyone’s allowed their own preferences though. :-)

Kath — August 24, 2010 @ 8:44 am

I have heard so much about the New York Times chocolate chip cookies but have never made them. I think I’m afraid to….

Taylor — August 24, 2010 @ 8:48 am

I didn’t know chocolate chip cookies could get more satisfying…amazing! These look sooooo good!

Tracy — August 24, 2010 @ 8:56 am

I still haven’t tried the New York Times cookies! I guess I’ll just have to try them both as is AND dipped in chocolate…what a shame. ;-)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — August 24, 2010 @ 8:59 am

Jessica – I wasn’t going to comment, bc I pretty much never make cookies and don’t have much to say ’bout ‘em (I never, ever get them to turn out *sad face*)… but I was reading through the post this morning and my mouth actually started watering LOL! I wish I didn’t have a knack for making flat cookies :l …even with peoples ‘you can’t mess this up’ recipes. Don’t know what it is. boo

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 24, 2010 @ 9:11 am

GAHHH why must you do this to me?!?!?! and I like milk chocolate so much better than dark too….screw antioxidants

Kim in MD — August 24, 2010 @ 9:13 am

Oh my- that last photo made me want to lick my computer screen! :-)
    I have seen the NYT chocolate chip cookie recipe on several blogs, but haven’t made it yet. Thanks to you, I am making these today! Thanks for sharing, Jessica! :-)

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) — August 24, 2010 @ 9:20 am

Amen on the milk. I broke into my 85% dark bar two nights ago and almost gagged. Okay, a little dark is okay. But that isn´t CHOCOLATE.

Jessica@tastyandtrim — August 24, 2010 @ 9:42 am

I definitely notice myself eating less of a dessert when it is more rich or decadent. I love the idea of dipping half of the cookies in chocolate, it adds a little something and I can see myself feeling more satisfied with less! You should seriously take pictures for a cooking magazine because all of yours always look so mouth-watering!

Kim @ Two Good Cookies — August 24, 2010 @ 9:53 am

This is positively sinful. And in such a good way I can barely stand it. Must. Make. Now.

Sues — August 24, 2010 @ 10:04 am

I have a feeling dipping cookies in chocolate would only make me eat MORE of them!!! But it IS a fabulous idea! And now I really need to try the New York Times chocolate chip cookie recipe :)

ida — August 24, 2010 @ 10:12 am

those cookies look heavenly! And the photos are amazing- i almost reached right through the screen.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Holiday Cookies | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: love crunch giveaway. « meals & moves

3. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #46 – New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies « Ella Rose Entertaining

4. Pingback: Montessori and Cookies | b out there

5. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookies | i am baker

6. Pingback: The Tooth Fairy Came – Recipe: Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies | Cooking for My Kids

7. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookies « thenoble5

8. Pingback: National Ice Cream Day | Apples & Onions

9. Pingback: Slice and Bake Cookies (Chocolate Chip) | tastes.of.juniper

10. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookies - The New York Times Top Rated Recipe!American Heritage Cooking