Forgive Me.

Or maybe thank me?

I think I discovered the secret to eating only one cookie in a sitting.

Okay, maybe two cookies.

Three tops.

Just dip half of it in chocolate.

And yes, of course I used milk chocolate.

To me, milk chocolate is the only way to go. Dark chocolate is… okay. I’m not a huge fan. I’m sure that says something about me in the “foodie” and “tastebuds” department, but guess what? I don’t care. Give me milk chocolate or give me none.

Well, that’s a lie. I’d still probably take dark over nothing. I’m weak.

So I guess you want a recipe for the chocolate chip cookies?

They definitely aren’t my own. For the last year I have been obsessed with the New York Time’s chocolate chip cookies.

I can’t even make any other recipe. They are just so delicious.

Mr. How Sweet concurs.

He’s never really come out and told me that, but I can sense it.

You know, since he stands over the sink shoveling 7 cookies in his mouth with a Diet Coke in hand and everything.

The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

from The New York Times

2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour

1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter

1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/4 pounds chocolate chips

Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.

Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Reduce to low speed and add dry ingredients slowly, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 24-36 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.

Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 10-12 minutes. (The original recipe calls for larger cookies and a longer bake time, but I use a bit less dough and shorten the time in the oven.

Lesson learned: chocolate-dipped cookies are much more rich and satisfying than non-chocolate-dipped cookies.

But I still manage to eat more than one. Shocking, I know.

138 Responses to “Forgive Me.”

Kara @ MyWellnest — August 24, 2010 @ 10:15 am

I’m with you on milk chocolate all the way!

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) — August 24, 2010 @ 10:18 am

Found your blog through Twitter. Twitter suggested I follow you. Thank you Twitter! What a great blog. Looking forward to reading more.

• Jessica — August 24th, 2010 @ 10:23 am

Ah, thank you so much! :) I am so glad you found me.

Sarah @ Aubergine — August 24, 2010 @ 10:24 am

Those look so pretty dipped in chocolate! How adorable.

Sana — August 24, 2010 @ 11:22 am

Holy shizzballs!!!! I would have eaten like 7 and called it dinner!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 24, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

I agree with you – milk chocolate is better :-)

Ingrid — August 24, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

Dipping in chocolate would be sinful for me…Ahh Hell, pass the plate! :)

Tiffany — August 24, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

I’m in Lust…I have to make these this week

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — August 24, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

Oh those cookies look amazing.

I totally agree with you on the milk choc vs. dark choc. I love them both, but milk choc is def the winner!

Kristie — August 24, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

I’ve been wanting to make that NYT recipe for a while now. This just solidifies the fact that it NEEDS to be the next cookie I make. Dipped in chocolate is genius. And milk chocolate all the way. I like dark for sure, I mean come on it’s still chocolate, but nothing beats that sweet creamy bliss of milk.

homecookedem — August 24, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

I. am. speechless.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 24, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

So simple, but GENIUS! As always. Yummm.

Laura — August 24, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

Please open a bakery!

A Teenage Gourmet — August 24, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

I feel the same way about FOOD magazine’s Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies, I can’t make any other version! :) You must try them!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — August 24, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

Try adding a pinch of cinnamon to these. I dare you.

lindsay — August 24, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

oh perfect. Maybe white chocolate or even buttscotch icing would be good too.

Mary (A Merry Life) — August 24, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

Love the photos. And the cookies. I’m so tempted to tell Kepa that we should make those.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — August 24, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

Thank you. I love you forever for this post. :)

Jenn

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — August 24, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

Great recipe! And also, great photos! I love your serving plate and the photos are always so crisp.

trang — August 24, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

Did you know that there’s chocolate bacon bars?

• Jessica — August 24th, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

Yes! By Vosges? I love them.

• trang — August 24th, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

I’m not sure. I just know that the haute chocolate cafe down the street from me has them. If it’s not Vosges, I’ll let you know so you can hunt them down. =)

I should have known you already knew that. Ahh silly me.

Yum Yucky — August 24, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

My scary little secret: my kid keeps baking me choco chip cookies. And they suck. gah! thanks for this recipe. :)

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com — August 24, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

OMG! AMAZING!

Katie — August 24, 2010 @ 6:15 pm

Mmm, I want, I want, I want!! I have a tried and true chocolate chip recipe that I’m scared to deviate from…but you have me intrigued with these NY times variety.

Ashley @ According to Ashley — August 24, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

Oh my gosh. GET IN MY BELLY RIGHT NOW!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 24, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

your blog has exploded girl. omg 80 comments in one day on a cookie post. not that they dont look amazing, they do. but seriously, you should be sooooo proud of your accomplishments!!! my god, in a yeaar, LOOK what you have accomplished!! and sooner, rather than later, everyone will come a knockin’ and you will have everything else that comes along with it.

Omg my heart was breaking today for you . (((HUGS))))))

xoxo

Fit & Fab Mama — August 24, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

These look so yummy!! I usually use the Neiman Marcus cookie recipe when I bake cookies to share. Next time I’m going to try this one.

Jackiefo — August 24, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

I always make Nestle Tollhouse’s recipe… Should I branch out and try something different? I am scared.

Fit Chick in the City — August 24, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

I can taste them from here. =)

Danielle — August 24, 2010 @ 8:22 pm

After going on the Chocolate Tour at Hershey Park, I have a new appreciation for both milk and dark chocolate, and the processes used to make chocolate.

These cookies look like a great way to honor the chocolate…:)

Hayley — August 24, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

I refuse to eat just one cookie. It’s silly. Homemade cookies are small! If it’s a giant cookie from a bakery or Starbucks, THEN I’ll stop at one.

Jessica — August 24, 2010 @ 10:21 pm

I could never, ever just have one of those cookies! YUM!

sophia — August 25, 2010 @ 12:11 am

YAY! someone who also shares my “unrefined” taste for milk chocolate rather than the dark.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — August 25, 2010 @ 3:44 am

Great photo’s to wake up to!! So do you use milk chocolate inside the cookie too? I LOVE milk chocolate even though the hubs prefers dark. I don’t get it, I would choose milk chocolate 1000 times over the dark. Thanks!

• Jessica — August 25th, 2010 @ 3:48 am

Yes! I always use milk chocolate in my cookies.

Nicole, RD — August 25, 2010 @ 3:57 am

YUM! Anything dipped in chocolate can’t be bad!

Blond Duck — August 25, 2010 @ 3:59 am

I’d have to dip mine in white chocolate, or maybe PB frosting…yum!

signorina — August 25, 2010 @ 6:10 am

Wow! These look so delicious! Do you have to refrigerate the dough before baking? I don’t think, I can wait for so long! ;-)

• Jessica — August 25th, 2010 @ 6:37 am

You don’t HAVE to, but the cookies will be much better if you do! If you do, they will probably end up being really flat.

Amanda — August 25, 2010 @ 6:32 am

These will be the next chocolate chip cookies i make!! Cant wait!!

Laura — August 25, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Oh my – these looks delicious! I will definitely be making them asap! :]

heather — August 25, 2010 @ 9:45 am

dear Jessica.

how do you feel about WHITE chocoalte?

discuss.

love heather.

• Jessica — August 25th, 2010 @ 9:50 am

White chocolate falls in the middle. I certainly don’t love it as much as milk chocolate, but I like it more than dark chocolate. And it depends on HOW dark the chocolate is.

Unless we are talking about white chocolate peanut butter. I’m all over that.

Nell — August 25, 2010 @ 11:44 am

Those cookies look so moist and chewy! I need to make them nowwww.

Kat — August 25, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

Gorgeous chocolate-dipped cookies. I’ve been craving Black and White Cookies, but the chocolate-chips bit has me craving this variation.

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — August 26, 2010 @ 6:27 am

those look fantastic! I might just have to make them for an event I have this weekend…

Dana — August 26, 2010 @ 11:22 am

These look AMAZING!! I make a chocolate chip cookie based on the NYT recipe, and I love it, too. Dipping it in chocolate sounds fantastic!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — August 27, 2010 @ 1:39 am

And here I was thinking that the NY times recipe was the ultimate!! Silly me.

Pierre — September 3, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

These are great cookies but I prefer them using 2oz portions as they end up softer. I love the way you dunk in chocolate. In case you’re interested I reviewed 10 cookies on this page http://www.TheGrinningGourmet.com/?page_id=178. Thanks for the post!

Anna — October 18, 2010 @ 6:46 am

So this chocolate chip recipe has been popping up all over the place. i have seen it on about 5 blogs now. Anyway, there is an alteration that I feel makes it straight up killer (can’t believe I said that).. Brown the butter in a skillet first.. then pour it over the sugar mixtures in the mixer, and pop it in the fridge to cool to room temp. When you go to mix it, if it doesn’t begin to get really light in color and whippy then pop it in to cool more.

The browned butter really adds awesome flavor depth.

becky — February 5, 2011 @ 4:33 am

just on looks alone i can tell i would like these. they look chewy which is the only way to go with chocolate chip cookies if you ask me. :) i love the added specialness of dipping them in milk chocolate. i do not like dark chocolate. i have tried to like it, but i just do not. thanks for the recipe! i’ve never made anything with bread flour. i will have to get some!

Paulette — February 5, 2011 @ 11:20 am

I hope everyone forgives me, I just had two slices of banana bread I made yesterday (it’s so good) and its only six-fifteen A.M. Wish I had one of those cookies. Paulette

Laura — February 6, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

Question for ya… do you have to let the dough sit for 24 hours or is that an option? I want to make them today, but I don’t want to wait for them to chill ;)

• Jessica — February 6th, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

They really are best when they are chilled and “aged” for that long. I would suggest at least 4-6 hours if you can wait! If not, I’m sure they won’t be terrible.

Vicki — March 30, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Ok, so I’m about to attempt the best choco chip recipe of all time today so I can have it set for 36 hours… one quick question, should the butter be room temperature? I’m not sure if it matters since its going to be chilled anyhow, I’m just so used to using room temp for baking… thanks! :)

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

Yes! Room temp butter. :)

• Vicki — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

Ok, I’m so excited to try them out… thank you! :)

Tegan Leblanc — April 9, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

Oh I love these! Yummy looking forward to making more yummy things. :)