I will obviously do everything in my power to make salsa taste more like fruit than vegetables.

But most of the time I love a combination of the two.

I still am a salsa-juice dipper and am not quite sure how I feel about the “chunks.” I don’t mind the chunks of fruit, but if I ingest chunks of veggies I want to cry. Luckily the salty chip usually makes up for it.

I love granny smith apples. Aren’t they delicious?

Since I tend to eat them smothered in caramel sauce, I decided to take a healthier route. Many times I make a big batch of salsa at the beginning of the week to use with fish, chicken, salads, eggs, or for when I feel like trying to find the answer to life’s problems in the bottom of a Stacy’s Pita Chip bag.

It’s a great snack to have on hand. The pita chips… well they are just dangerous.

I love this salsa because it is a bit tart. But I also added a sprinkle of sugar, simply so I wouldn’t go into convulsions eating vegetables alone. You could use a sweetener of your choice.

Green Apple Salsa

2 granny smith apples, chopped

1/2 bell pepper (I used yellow), chopped

1 plum tomato, chopped

1/4 sweet onion, chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon sugar

3 tablespoons lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss. Serve with salty tortilla chips or cinnamon sugar pita chips.

If you’re looking for me, I’ll probably be inside a pita chip bag.

Send help.

60 Responses to “Green Apple Salsa.”

Pure2Raw Twins — August 10, 2010 @ 4:15 am

I love granny smith apples :) They are my favorite kind of apple. I enjoy tart dishes so this salsa sounds great!!

Wei-Wei — August 10, 2010 @ 4:24 am

Tart apples are delicious, even though I’ve only had them a few times. I’m more familiar with the awesomely sweet red apples. Use those and you wouldn’t need the sugar ;)

Wei-Wei

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 10, 2010 @ 4:34 am

YUM!! i can eat this! ( I would just skip the sugar and salt) which means I dont know how it would turn out but STILL wow sounds delicious, fresh and perfect!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 10, 2010 @ 4:34 am

I LOVE tart apples! They’re my favorite to bake with :)

amanda — August 10, 2010 @ 4:42 am

I think fruit and salsa is an excellent mix. I never had apples in my salsa and that would make for an interesting combination

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — August 10, 2010 @ 4:43 am

I love fresh salsas and I bet the granny smith apples add a great crunch!

Amy from She Wears Many Hats — August 10, 2010 @ 4:44 am

I’ve never had apples in a salsa, but it sounds mighty tasty!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — August 10, 2010 @ 4:58 am

Now I’m craving a caramel apple – AWESOME. I sent Mr. KD the brownies from yesterday and his response was, “Those are illegal in five states. When can we make them?” Haha.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — August 10, 2010 @ 5:06 am

Fruit salsa? I’m in!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 10, 2010 @ 5:11 am

Now you are talking! I bet a good summer tomato would be really good in a fruited salsa. I like that you used granny smith’s since they aren’t too sweet! This sounds delicious!

Erica — August 10, 2010 @ 5:12 am

Green apples in a salsa that is an interesting concept! I love this idea!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 10, 2010 @ 5:17 am

I love fruit salsas! Yum!

Erica — August 10, 2010 @ 5:18 am

Looks so good. I love granny smiths (hence why I always get the green apple parfait). I bet the bell pepper goes awesome with the apple flavor

Heather — August 10, 2010 @ 5:34 am

interesting…i’m definitely going to try this! i’m kinda scared of the pepper-apple combo…i have such a love-hate relationship with raw peppers!

• Jessica — August 10th, 2010 @ 5:40 am

If I can do it, you can do it.

Kim in MD — August 10, 2010 @ 5:39 am

YUM! This looks so refreshing and healthy! I love fruit salsa, and I especially love pineapple salsa…great with grilled fish or chicken. I’ve never tried apples in salsa, so I will definately try your recipe. I will probably add a minced jalapeno pepper and cilantro, too! Thanks for sharing, Jessica!

CaSaundra — August 10, 2010 @ 5:51 am

I enjoy fruit salsas quite a bit too–I am going to post a recipe today for one actually–two great minds obviously think alike! ;-)

britta — August 10, 2010 @ 5:54 am

I would probably just eat that whole bowl by the spoonful!

marla {family fresh cooking} — August 10, 2010 @ 5:54 am

Looks like we are both on the same page with the sweet and fruity salsas! I love the idea of crisp & tart Granny Smith apples in yours :) xo

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 10, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Fruit salsas are the best, and I’m allll about the chunks!

MelissaNibbles — August 10, 2010 @ 6:00 am

Very creative!

Kristina — August 10, 2010 @ 6:12 am

look at you, eating your veggies ! :)

this looks so tasty and refreshing… I think we actually have some summer left In These Parts, so this is perfect!

the crazy suburban mom — August 10, 2010 @ 6:36 am

I would love this – I love that sweet plus veggie thing for salsa thats missing in commerical products. I made a watermelon cucumber one once that was yum and I would so make this! Im so glad I happened to surf here this morning!

Tracy

Erica Sara — August 10, 2010 @ 6:45 am

Love this recipe- looks delicious!

homecookedem — August 10, 2010 @ 6:52 am

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!! Haha, I tend to eat granny smith apples with caramel sauce too!! This looks much healthier!! :)

Stephanie — August 10, 2010 @ 6:56 am

what a fun idea for salsa! sounds so good!

Eliana — August 10, 2010 @ 7:11 am

I thought I was the only person that prefers salsa juice over chunky salsa. I would take this one any day over a traditional salsa. It looks super delicious.

Caitlin — August 10, 2010 @ 7:37 am

I’m glad I am not the only one who likes to sop up the “juice” in salsa, leaving only the chunks of God knows what behind for whoever opens it first.

Great way to make friends at a party or as a house guest, by the way.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — August 10, 2010 @ 7:55 am

I haven’t tried too many fruit salsas. I too love Stacy’s Pita Chips–I can easily eat my way through a Costco sized bag in one day!

Whitney — August 10, 2010 @ 7:58 am

This sounds amazing! I love trying new salsas and im a sucker for making new and unexpected additions just like your apple salsa. You should try it with mangos! Delish!

brittany — August 10, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Oh my goodness I’m obsessed with Stacy’s Pita Chips.

DessertForTwo — August 10, 2010 @ 8:03 am

I am so with you on the Stacy’s pita chip thing! Why are they so freaking delicious?! I can’t stop eating them! I have to buy small bags now because I can finish a whole bag in one afternoon.

• Jessica — August 10th, 2010 @ 8:06 am

I buy a small bag and finish it then wonder why I didn’t get the big bag because I’m still hungry.

Tracy — August 10, 2010 @ 8:29 am

Looks delicious! I love the idea of apples in salsa!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — August 10, 2010 @ 9:23 am

Yum! I love fruity salsas but have never made one with apple. The crunch of the granny smiths sounds awesome, though. I do happen to like chunky veggies in my salsa, but chunks of fruit are even better!

Mellissa — August 10, 2010 @ 9:36 am

A tiny bit of sesame oil would give this a nice depth.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — August 10, 2010 @ 10:09 am

That salsa looks amazing- I’m picturing having that at a picnic and it makes me happy! :) I bet it would be great with some chilis or hot sauce, too!

Amanda — August 10, 2010 @ 10:34 am

That looks delicious! I never would have thought to use green apples in salsa!

Kelly — August 10, 2010 @ 11:04 am

Yum. Looks gorgeous. I love how for someone so fit and healthy you have the same food aversions as so many americans.

Kocinera — August 10, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

I love the addition of apples! They’re so great for adding a nice bit of freshness and crunch.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — August 10, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

So creative-I love it! I wonder if red onion would be good in there..

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 10, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

anything that doesnt have a boat load of garlic onions or salt, i am all about it!!

Evan@swEEts — August 10, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

I was totally going to say how good this would be on the cinnamon-sugar pita chips and you were already there :) love it.. this salsa looks great!

Lisa @bakebikeblog — August 10, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

One word…..AWESOME!!! :)

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 10, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

Ohh this sounds so fresh and yummy! And easy…Ellen-approved ;) And ditto about Stacy’s pita chips: Danger zone!

Gabriela — August 10, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

This looks great! I love salsa and apples…the two sound like a yummy combination!

Sarah — August 10, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

I love fruit in my salsa too :) Yours looks delicious!

Blond Duck — August 10, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

I can’t. I’m stuck in the bag of blue corn tortilla chips with a case of pico de gallo!

Nicole, RD — August 11, 2010 @ 3:53 am

Apple in salsa…I like it! I’m a lover of the sweet salsas! And those sweet onions this summer are outta this world!!

Simply Life — August 11, 2010 @ 4:57 am

Oh I LOVE this idea!!!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun — August 11, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

Apple salsa?! I would have NEVER thought of that – great idea! :-)
    Thanks,
    Erika

Brenda The Healthy Lunch Recipes Girl — August 12, 2010 @ 10:14 am

I have an apple tree in my backyard, but its the yellow-red apples. So we have a lot of extra apples and I don’t know what to do with them. My family and I love eating meat with salsa. I just wanted to know is it ok if I substitute them Granny Apples for the ones I have?
    Thank you for the recipe.
    -Brenda

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 10:21 am

Absolutely! Let me know if you make it.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Green Apple Salsa. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Party Dips | Cooking Out Loud

3. Pingback: Listen » Then Heather Said

4. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #64 – Green Apple Salsa « Ella Rose Entertaining

5. Pingback: A Girl And Her Fork: Crisp Green Apple Salsa