My mom used to make zucchini like this every summer when I was little.

Well, minus the whole wheat part. She would rather swallow nails than eat anything “whole wheat.” Her motto is “white bread fo’ life!”

While I was making the zucchini, my house smelled like it did when I was younger. I remember eating this on hot summer nights.

If we ever order appetizers out, one of them tends to be fried zucchini. However, it is such a hit-or-miss snack. If it is too deep fried, it just tastes like grease. Other times it can be soggy, lacking the crispness that makes it so delicious.

I used a light breading and just a tiny bit of olive oil to fry the zucchini. We wanted to keep it simple and fresh tasting.

It must have worked, because Mr. How Sweet ate them all.

I think I got one piece?

This is the way I like to eat vegetables. I would eat them like this every day if I could. Is there any better way?

Parmesan Zucchini

1-2 medium zucchinis, sliced into thin rounds

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs

1 tablespoon italian seasoning

1/2 cup parmesan, plus more for sprinkling

1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil

In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs, parmesan and italian seasoning. Heat skillet on medium-high heat, adding just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Dip zucchini in egg, then in bread crumbs, and add to the pan, browning no each side for about 3-4 minutes.

Remove and lay on a paper towel. Sprinkle with additional parmesan while still warm.

Did anyone notice I’ve posted vegetables two days in a row? Clearly I’m not really on vacation. I’ve been abducted by aliens.

55 Responses to “Parmesan Zucchini with Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs.”

Wei-Wei — August 5, 2010 @ 4:41 am

Hmmm, aren’t you not supposed to fry with olive oil because it has a low (or high, I’m not sure) smoke point? This looks awesome though.

Wei-Wei

• Jessica — August 5th, 2010 @ 4:53 am

We didn’t really “fry” – it was more of a medium heat saute to brown the zucchini.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 5, 2010 @ 4:41 am

These look so good! After frying that okra a few weeks ago, I’m eager to fry something else…I’ll have to give these a try!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 5, 2010 @ 4:54 am

Mmm these look tasty. Plus their dunk-ability adds bonus points! :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — August 5, 2010 @ 5:00 am

Veggies…again!?! You’re practically a vegetarian these days (lol!)

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — August 5, 2010 @ 5:04 am

Those look awesome Jessica!!

Erica — August 5, 2010 @ 5:06 am

I’ve ordered these out once and they were pretty amazing. I could feel my arteries clogging…but I did love them haa

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — August 5, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Yum!!! Looks delicious, I love when they are perfectly crispy.

MelissaNibbles — August 5, 2010 @ 5:31 am

This looks great. I’ve done this with pickles. Yup, you read that right.

Heather — August 5, 2010 @ 5:48 am

i love veggies fried too :) and no, there really isn’t a better way to eat them!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — August 5, 2010 @ 5:51 am

I love zucchini because it is so versatile! This is going to be on Keith’s make list since I am one armed for the next 2 months.

Cara — August 5, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Yummers!
    What is served on the side there? A dipping sauce?

• Jessica — August 5th, 2010 @ 6:03 am

Just some marinara sauce!

Amanda — August 5, 2010 @ 6:00 am

Looks fantastic!! I love any method that lets us enjoy the abundance of zucchini in the garden!! (plus this has cheese in it. Nuff said)

Blessings!
    AManda

Mellissa — August 5, 2010 @ 6:22 am

When I read your posts in the morning at my desk, I always become instantly hungry!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — August 5, 2010 @ 6:32 am

Those look so good! We didn’t fry zucchini much, but my grandmother fried zucchini flowers! Yum

Jenn

Krisy — August 5, 2010 @ 6:35 am

How did you know that I had (3) zucchini sitting in my frig longing for inspiration? ;-)

Camille — August 5, 2010 @ 6:39 am

Oooh, those look so good!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 5, 2010 @ 6:41 am

One of my very Italian friends used to make something like this all the time in college and it was INCREDIBLE!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 5, 2010 @ 7:01 am

This may convince my 12 year old to eat zucchini! I will have to see if it works. It looks delicious!

Stephanie — August 5, 2010 @ 7:25 am

wow i’m drooling at these and it’s only 10am haha, they look so good!

Eliana — August 5, 2010 @ 7:29 am

These look so perfectly golden. I wish I had a couple to nosh on right now.

homecookedem — August 5, 2010 @ 7:31 am

My grandmother (from Pittsburgh) makes fried zucchini all the time during the summer! It is sooo, sooo good!! Yours looks great, but even healthier!! :)

Shannon — August 5, 2010 @ 7:50 am

That looks amazing!!! Can’t wait to try!

Holly — August 5, 2010 @ 7:57 am

i love all things fried and this recipe is no exception. the mix of parmesan with breadcrumbs is one that is seriously out-of-this-world. i made a similar thing once but with porkchops…HEAVENLY!

Matt — August 5, 2010 @ 8:08 am

I have made those before except I baked them in oven instead of frying. They are probably better fried ;)

Kacy — August 5, 2010 @ 8:22 am

I LOVE fried zucchini, but you added cheese. Proof that perfect can be even perfecter.

Kristina — August 5, 2010 @ 8:25 am

these look PERFECT !! I hardly ever order these @ a restaurant for the sog potential… :)

I am so craving these right now… crunchy crunchy goodness…

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 5, 2010 @ 9:01 am

Yummmmmm!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 5, 2010 @ 10:11 am

Those look awesome girl….and i love it when i cook things that make me smell/remember my childhood or a certain time in my life in history!

Blond Duck — August 5, 2010 @ 10:23 am

These look awesome. I tried your parmesean artichoke squash things the other day–YUM!

Kat — August 5, 2010 @ 10:32 am

Those look amazing! I can’t wait to try some. I think we have some overgrown Zucchini in my garden

Jenna — August 5, 2010 @ 10:48 am

I’m with some of the others, I’m so shocked to see so many veggies lately, look at you!! Your recipes for veggies are the type of veggies I can dig and get on board with. :)

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — August 5, 2010 @ 11:01 am

I would love these especially since they are thin and crispy looking. YUM!

jenna — August 5, 2010 @ 11:26 am

mmm…i love lightly breaded zucchini..such a perfect summer treat!

Emily @ For Sweets Sake — August 5, 2010 @ 1:38 pm

I’ve decided I’m coming over for dinner sometime. We can have bacon and some of this fried zucchini :)

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats — August 5, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

ummmmm – o.m.g.!! I have a MASSIVE zucchini at home right now that this would be amazing for!!!

Dee — August 5, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

I am going to make these Friday. I have zucchini in my garden that is ready to pick. It will be interesting to see if my kids will eat these.

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — August 5, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

at first glance these look like the deep fried pickles from Hooters. I am sure these are so much better though, I adore zucchini

Pure2raw twins — August 5, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

These look great! I have never had breaded zucchini before, but always wanted to try it.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — August 5, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

Those look delicious! Perfectly browned

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — August 5, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

Oh, those look fantastic! And I have some zucchini in my fridge right NOW :) I make a chicken breast that is similar in nature and it always turns out great. Can’t wait to try it – sorry you didn’t get many and Mr. How Sweet ate them all! Guess it’s an excuse to make more? :)

Yum Yucky — August 6, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

yes yes yes. Reminds me of my fried eggplant love.

Magic of Spice — August 7, 2010 @ 11:26 am

These look great, a favorite treat of mine:)

Glenda — August 7, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

The zuchini looks tasty and easy. That’s what I look for in a recipe.
    Thanks

Barbara — August 10, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

These look amazing! I love fried zucchini, and these look simple, so I’ll have to try them ASAP!

Beth — July 6, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

Thanks for such a great idea! I’m living in Mexico for the summer and having a hard time finding some of the ingredients I normally like to cook with, but I made a Mexican version of these with calabazas criollas, queso panela, cilantro, and some stale bolillos. It worked really well, especially when we dipped them in salsa picante. Mmmm. . .so full right now!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Parmesan Zucchini with Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Breakfast Phases | MyWellnest

3. Pingback: Paleo Cook Books – Healthy Meal Guide « shiyan

4. Pingback: Back on the Wagon « Braise the Roof

5. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #37 – Parmesan Zucchini « Ella Rose Entertaining

6. Pingback: Ruff Morning « Will Run 4 Dinner

7. Pingback: Crispy Zucchini Grilled Cheese with Dijon Horseradish Aioli | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: 75 must-try zucchini recipes | kojodesigns