Pears are one of those fruits that I absolutely adore but I never buy many of.

I can never seem to get a “good” one, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps I just don’t know how to pick ‘em?

I really love those old school pears in syrup. I probably can’t ever find a good pear because I expect them to taste like the ones in syrup. Why can’t everything taste that good?

I spied this salad in an old issue of Traverse magazine and it sounded delicious to me.

And you know when a salad that doesn’t contain bacon or loads of cheese sounds tasty to me, it must mean something.

The kicker was how I dressed this salad.

I used a cinnamon-pear balsamic combined with olive oil, and let me tell you that it was fabulous. Combined with some cinnamon-toasted pecans, it was a salad I actually enjoyed. The cinnamon pecans are really easy too – just add them to a skillet with a sprinkle of cinnamon and toast for a few minutes, constantly turning.

If we are being honest, I probably liked the salad so much because of the balsamic, but… whatever works, right?

Pear-adise Salad

inspired by Traverse Magazine, March 2009

2 cups spring greens

1 ripe pear

1/2 tomato, chopped

1/2 ounce goat cheese

1 ounce pecans (I toasted mine with cinnamon)

Combines all ingredients on a dish and top with dressing of choice.

Three cheers to eating a salad with some actual vegetables.

Even if I did eat 7 brownies afterward.

71 Responses to “Pear-adise Salad.”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 19, 2010 @ 4:13 am

Looks like a fantastic salad! I love the paring of the pears, nuts, and cheese!

Lizzy @ LBBakes — August 19, 2010 @ 4:17 am

Mmm, I love apples in salad, and I like pears as much as apples. ;)

Tina — August 19, 2010 @ 4:18 am

That salad looks so good! And I feel the same as you with pears. I love them when they’re perfectly ripe. But its always so hard to find a good one.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — August 19, 2010 @ 4:22 am

This looks like a great salad, I love pears too but it has to be that perfect one… firm, but still juicy. So hard! :P

xo
    Kris

Erica — August 19, 2010 @ 4:23 am

I buy pears almost every week because thats the fruit the man likes in his lunches. The salad looks lovely- I love fruit in my salads and I bet that dressing paired perfectly.

amanda — August 19, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Ha ha It is all about balance!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — August 19, 2010 @ 5:19 am

3 cheers is right!!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — August 19, 2010 @ 5:19 am

I really like pears, but for some reason I don’t really ever buy them. I have to be in a certain mood to pick one up, but I like the idea of putting them in salads.

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — August 19, 2010 @ 5:48 am

I love pears, so this is the perfect salad for me!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 19, 2010 @ 5:49 am

That salad looks so fresh and delicious! YUM!

newlywed — August 19, 2010 @ 6:03 am

Looks beautiful. My husband loves pears in his salad! I have tried roasting them before sliding them on top in the past…gives it a little more of that “pears in syrup” taste.

Jenna — August 19, 2010 @ 6:29 am

I have found a new love and adoration for goat cheese on salads, or just by the spoonful. Paired up with sweet pears sounds like a great match!

Brittany — August 19, 2010 @ 6:30 am

I love pear salads as well, but like you, I don’t buy pears that often. The cinnamon-pear balsamic sounds amazing!!! I think I need to buy some pears this week. :)

Matt — August 19, 2010 @ 6:33 am

Good job eating some veggies ;)

Looks awesome!

Eliana — August 19, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Love pears too. What an excellent way to enjoy them :)

Tracy — August 19, 2010 @ 6:41 am

This salad looks gorgeous and that cinnamon-pear balsamic sounds out of this world!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 19, 2010 @ 6:42 am

I’m the same way– I have SO much trouble finding decent pears! They’re either WAY too hard or WAY too soft. This salad could convince me to try harder though :-)

Yesterday, when we were driving through Pittsburgh to go to the airport, I shouted a big hello to you :-)

Kim — August 19, 2010 @ 6:42 am

I’m glad I’m not alone on the pear issue. Everytime I think I’ve found a winner, nope. But this salad looks amazing. ps. i love your blog — always see you posting on YHL & now I started a new health related blog and I’m still seeing your name pop up! love it.

Chicago Cuisine Critique — August 19, 2010 @ 6:44 am

This salad sounds & looks delicious!

Caitlin — August 19, 2010 @ 6:48 am

I am so proud of you and the salad efforts.

Even if you did have a copious amount of brownies after.

It’s all about balance, my friend.

Chrissy — August 19, 2010 @ 6:49 am

The more I read through your posts, the more I think we are opposites on food. I hate pears, and a lot of other foods you post. And yet, I run into posts where you say you don’t like something and I think, “But that’s delicious! Om nom nom nom!”

Kara @ MyWellnest — August 19, 2010 @ 6:53 am

It’s a gorgeous salad, so colorful!!!

Camille — August 19, 2010 @ 7:11 am

This looks so fresh and summery! Love it!

Wei-Wei — August 19, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I think that oriental/Korean pears are the best. They’ve been in season here in China for a while now, and they are SO good. So beautifully sweet and crisp… Mmm. I had some just now, actually. Delicious.

MelissaNibbles — August 19, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I eat a version of this salad at least once a week. I add dried cranberries to mine!

Kim in MD — August 19, 2010 @ 7:35 am

What a gorgeous salad, Jessica! I have never heard of cinnamon-pear balsamic vinegar! It sounds amazing! And hey- if it tastes great to you (without bacon!), it must be good stuff! :-D

Kat — August 19, 2010 @ 7:38 am

oOO YUM! I love fun salads!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 19, 2010 @ 7:49 am

I’m pretty sure that eating a salad for dinner automatically means whatever you eat afterward doesn’t count.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 19, 2010 @ 7:51 am

i LOVE pears, but I too, buy themwhen I am in the mood, I find that they always get so soft if I buy too many! i LOVE them roasted with some balsamic…and I love the idea of roasting pecans in cinnamon!

Traci — August 19, 2010 @ 7:57 am

What a yummy looking salad! I love pears and the balsamic sounds SO good! Thanks for sharing!

teresa — August 19, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Jessica! This looks divine!
    I’ve been loving chopped granny smith apples in my salads lately!
    I too struggle with finding GOOD pears!
    I like a pear to be HARD…and so many are mushy!
    Your pics are fabulous!
    Love your blog Sweet Girl!
    xo
    Oh! And I am loving Hot Yoga! ;o)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — August 19, 2010 @ 8:03 am

LOL. I love salads with some sort of candied nut on top, especially with fruit and goat cheese!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — August 19, 2010 @ 8:20 am

love the idea of toasting the pecans with cinnamon!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 19, 2010 @ 8:24 am

this is beautiful! and i don’t even love salads!

Nichole — August 19, 2010 @ 8:29 am

I have been craving pears lately. Seriously, the crunch/the tartness, etc. I love new salad toppers. Thanks!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — August 19, 2010 @ 8:31 am

The combination of the pears and pecans sounds delicious!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — August 19, 2010 @ 8:31 am

The salad looks delicious and I’m the same way! I can never pick a good pear — it is either too hard or pure mush!

Fit & Fab Mama — August 19, 2010 @ 8:34 am

That salad looks great. I always love fruit on a salad. If you want some really good (and I mean REALLY GOOD) pears, order the Royal Riveria Pears from Harry and David. They are heaven!

• Jessica — August 19th, 2010 @ 8:38 am

I have had them! They are AMAZING. That is probably my problem. They set the bar so high that I can’t buy any that taste as good.

Kristina — August 19, 2010 @ 8:35 am

look at you eating a salad! :)

I have the same ‘issue’ with pears… I love them, but I guess I don’t really know how to pick a good one. I don’t like the syrup, but I get the canned in juice sometimes… :)

I always say I’m “vegan except for cheese” and that really means goat cheese… I love it – especially on salads…

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — August 19, 2010 @ 8:42 am

The pictures of your salad are gorgeous! I want to reach through my screen! And it’s 8:45am! I shouldn’t be desiring a salad. But it looks delicious!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 19, 2010 @ 8:52 am

I agree with you … a good pear is very hard to come by.

janetha g. — August 19, 2010 @ 9:19 am

love the name :) pears are SO good! it is definitely hard to find the perfect pear. either too hard or too mushy. pear+goat cheese is to die for. i once made a pear, goat cheese & spinach panini. yum.

• Jessica — August 19th, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Oh yum. Please come make me that for lunch.

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — August 19, 2010 @ 9:26 am

I have the same problem with pears.

I made pasta last night with peas and BACON. Is it creepy that I thought of you…?

• Jessica — August 19th, 2010 @ 9:29 am

No it’s AWESOME!

Kacy — August 19, 2010 @ 9:39 am

Pears are like the forgotten stepchild of fruit. I love them but never ever buy them. Poor pears.

Mallory @ Little Miss Locavore — August 19, 2010 @ 9:45 am

Gorgeous presentation. I’m loving fruit in salads right now – great way to mask some of the “lettuceness” of a salad if you know what I mean.

Kate @ Cozydelicious — August 19, 2010 @ 9:57 am

That balsamic sounds amazing! Yum! And I agree – good pears are hard to fine. One year I got Harry and David pears sent to me as a gift – they were amazing and nothing since has come close!

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear — August 19, 2010 @ 10:36 am

The balsamic sounds awesome! I love trying new flavors :)

AGS — August 19, 2010 @ 10:57 am

You could consider experimenting with dried pears. You can reconstituted them with some hot water and use in a variety of baking/cooking items — the taste still comes out more intense and sweet.

Blond Duck — August 19, 2010 @ 10:58 am

I love the pears in syrup. If it’s wrong, I don’t want to be right.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — August 19, 2010 @ 11:43 am

I’ll eat anything with goat cheese. This looks fabulous!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Pear-adise Salad. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com