Pears are one of those fruits that I absolutely adore but I never buy many of.

I can never seem to get a “good” one, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps I just don’t know how to pick ‘em?

I really love those old school pears in syrup. I probably can’t ever find a good pear because I expect them to taste like the ones in syrup. Why can’t everything taste that good?

I spied this salad in an old issue of Traverse magazine and it sounded delicious to me.

And you know when a salad that doesn’t contain bacon or loads of cheese sounds tasty to me, it must mean something.

The kicker was how I dressed this salad.

I used a cinnamon-pear balsamic combined with olive oil, and let me tell you that it was fabulous. Combined with some cinnamon-toasted pecans, it was a salad I actually enjoyed. The cinnamon pecans are really easy too – just add them to a skillet with a sprinkle of cinnamon and toast for a few minutes, constantly turning.

If we are being honest, I probably liked the salad so much because of the balsamic, but… whatever works, right?

Pear-adise Salad

inspired by Traverse Magazine, March 2009

2 cups spring greens

1 ripe pear

1/2 tomato, chopped

1/2 ounce goat cheese

1 ounce pecans (I toasted mine with cinnamon)

Combines all ingredients on a dish and top with dressing of choice.

Three cheers to eating a salad with some actual vegetables.

Even if I did eat 7 brownies afterward.

71 Responses to “Pear-adise Salad.”

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 19, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

catchy title, you creative little devil you :)

picking pears…the secret it to buy them literally 7-10 days before you need them. I buy 10 pears at once for about 6 mos of the year when they are fairly seasonal (fall thru winter/early spring). Skylar eats 1 apple and 1 pear a day, no matter what and I eat a pear a day, give or take too. You have to buy them wayyyyy in advance so they dont get beat up in the store, but then just leave them sit on your counter and wait. Don’t jump the gun, they take forever to ripen but it will be worth it and that way they arent ripening in the store and getting all beat up and gross. That’s the secret :)

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 19, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

Ohh this sounds so fresh and yummy! I love pears, but yeah, it IS hard to get a good one!

mags — August 19, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

Great photos! I’m not a fruit lover but when you put it on a salad, I’m all over it. Looks delicious.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 19, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

This is a lot like my “usual” salad, except that I always use apples and not pears. I am not a big pear eater, but this salad does look tasty. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for some nice pears at the market.

Sues — August 19, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

I’m totally the same way with pears! You never know how they’re going to be when you buy them at the grocery store. But if I’m at a restaurants with a salad with pears on the menu, I’m all over it. This looks fabulous!

Lynn @ The Next Chapter — August 19, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

That is one awesome looking salad. I love any fruit + goat cheese combos! Mmm. :)

CookiePie — August 19, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

Beautiful salad!!! I know what you mean about pears – I love them all. To pick a pear, press it on the top of the neck, near the stem. It should feel soft (yield to the pressure of your finger) but not mushy. I used to press the sides – when I learned about the neck, it changed (the pear-eating portion of) my life! :)

• Jessica — August 19th, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write — August 19, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Ah. See? Here I was about to comment about how you ate veggies and then you explained yourself there at the end. :) lol.

Lisa @bakebikeblog — August 19, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

are you serious?? pears + pecans + goats cheese?! OMG that sounds awesome!!!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — August 19, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

Love the name of this, Pear-adise salad! Cute!

Never mind about the 7 brownies. I won’t tell!!

Mary (A Merry Life) — August 19, 2010 @ 5:57 pm

I love fruit in salad. This is exactly the kind of salad I love to eat.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — August 19, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

I only accidentally get really good pears and it seems to happen quite a bit. I love a good pear! I have no idea how to find a good one though.

Balsamic! It goes perfect with so many fruits. That salad looks positively incredible.

Leah @ Why Deprive? — August 19, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

This looks so good! I love pears, but I agree with you, its so hard to find good ones. I like them soft, but not too soft. My parents used to have a pear tree that produced the most perfect pears I have ever tasted. When they cut it down I was devastated.

Jaden — August 20, 2010 @ 8:48 am

Totally love that last photo – so happy colorful!

homecookedem — August 20, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

What a creative title!! ;) Your salad looks awesome. I love fruit on salads. And I bet the pear + goat cheese is so yummy!!

Ingrid — August 21, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

Wow! This looks delicious! :)