I had a perfect shopping day today. To me, that means finding things that I have wanted for months. To Mr. How Sweet, it just means I spent too much money.

Oh well. It’s all going to be put to use in ways that benefit him.

I can’t wait to snack on…

Addicting. I could eat my weight in these alone.

I don’t even have words. For weeks I have only been able to find this in packets. They cost an arm and a leg. This actually costs an arm and two legs, but it is worth it since I can go at it with a spoon. FYI – I hate all other almond butter.

These are the best chocolate chips. Currently, they are baking inside chewy chocolate chip cookies. I have also had multiple handfuls. I really like them in yogurt. And peanut butter. And just plain.

I can’t wait to cook with…

Figs! I love this time of year because I can actually find them. Yes, I have to drive 45 minutes just to find them, but they are so worth it to me. I just discovered figs (fresh and dried) over 2 years ago, and it may have been the best day of my life. I possibly love them more than chocolate. But not really.

Hopefully these babies are good. It is tough to find a juicy peach ’round these parts.

Yes. Vegetables. Can I just say that the prettier they are, the more I want to eat them? Even though I plan on combining them with copious amounts of salt, feta cheese, watermelon and oil, I am very excited to eat these. Two bites in I will probably change my mind, pick them all out, and just eat the cheese and watermelon.

Anyone ever used this grain blend from TJ’s? I have no idea what I’m going to do with it, but I’m going to use it as ammunition in breaking Mr. How Sweet’s 2-bags-of-brown-rice-a-day habit.

Just wanted to share a few more grocery staples with you!

Now, I must go tend to the cookies in the oven and the pizza dough that’s rising. Mr. How Sweet is in a trance watching the NASCAR race which makes me want to barf. And cry. And eat a lot of cookies.

Wild Saturday night we got going on here.

72 Responses to “Saturday Shopping.”

One Healthy Apple — August 21, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

I have tried that grain mix- you can add dried fruit to it, or cook in a chicken/veggie stock. I love adding spices or even some cheese to it. It’s quite good as long as you don’t let it get mushy like I sometimes do!

Those pretzels will never come home with me because I would not be able to control myself ever!

Tina — August 21, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

I’m so mad because Em brought me two packets of that Justin’s today at lunch and I left them at the restaurant. :(

That grain blend looks really good. I can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Kristina — August 21, 2010 @ 4:09 pm

OOOOH, those pretzels are the BEST. yes. I could eat a whole bag.

I love figs – I just had MY first one about three months ago – WHY?

Mr. How Sweet sounds like Jason… Jason is a Brown Rice Snob. :)

alison — August 21, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

Love these! I have never seen that almond butter! Love your ideas!

Heather — August 21, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

figs are soooooooo beautiful…probably one of the most photogenic fruits :)

Jess — August 21, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

Successful shopping is GREAT! Congrats, haha! ;)

Great looking eats!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — August 21, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

That blend is great but make sure you cook it exactly as directed or a little under. It gets mushy quick. I like to add apricots and Moroccan spices to it for a side dish. I used to make it with pork chops.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 21, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

I haven’t tried Justins due to not wanting to get hooked on it. I love grocery posts! It tells so much about a person. I truly love figs too. I had my first fresh one last year at the farmer’s market. Like heaven. Oh and I have been loving some Georgia peaches right now! So good. My boys are killing each other in Modern Warfare…ugh, I need some of those cookies you bake about right now too! I hope the rest of your weekend is nice!

Christina — August 21, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

I have a huge container of those peanut butter pretzels from Costco. They’re SO good!

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches — August 21, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

That whole grains mix is delicious. Because I like to keep things simple, I usually simmer it in chicken stock and then add some butter at the end for some amped up flavor. Can you ever go wrong by adding butter to something? I think not. Especially when that something is carbs.

april — August 21, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

Have you tried the maple almond butteR? so good!

• Jessica — August 21st, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

No! I will get a packet next time. :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 21, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Like I said raisins and cumin with that harvest blend is so good! Omg those pb pretzels are addicting! Xoxoxox

homecookedem — August 21, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

Mmmmm, I want those PB pretzels!! And I wish I could find some fresh figs!! I need to make friends with someone who has a fig tree. Or just plant one myself! ;)

Ingrid — August 21, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

I love Trader JOe’s harvest grains! Yum!

mags — August 21, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

I have to keep those peanut butter-filled pretzels away from my hubby. He’ll eventually die with his hand in the bag, I just know it.

Wei-Wei — August 21, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

Oh my gosh! Peanut butter-filled pretzels sounds AMAZING.

Matt — August 21, 2010 @ 5:57 pm

Oh man I love the chocolate almond butter! Have you tried the chocolate hazelnut? It’s even better ;)

Camille — August 21, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

I hate almond butter too! Ick!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — August 21, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

I recently tried dried figs and fell in love with them! I haven’t tried fresh but I might just have to get my hands on some, especially if they are easy to find this time of year :)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — August 21, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

Figs… I hope you’ll share what you decide to do with them because I would love to try them! Or do you eat them plain..? Ignorance revealed.

Marisa @Loser for Life — August 21, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

I bought that Harvest Grains from TJ’s this week, too! Can’t wait to use them!

Sadly, I cannot buy the peanut butter pretzels any more. They are too crackilicious for me ;)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — August 21, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

I picked up a couple of the same things today! Those PB pretzels are basially addictive.

Debbie — August 21, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

funny, i just bought figs today and will be making something with them on my blog. I used to live near the “fig capital of the world”.

the blend of beans, etc. sound good – let me know how it works out!

thepenandthepear

Sues — August 21, 2010 @ 7:44 pm

Best shopping day ever!! I am dying for some fresh figs! Also, those TJ’s pretzels are the BEST (I just wish they were covered in chocolate). I really need to get my hands on the TJ’s grain blend… And I’ve been hearing fabulous things about the Justin’s Almond Butter, too. Yay!!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy — August 21, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

AWESOME loot there! LONG LIVE TRADER JOE’S!!!

Hallie — August 21, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

Chocolate covered figs. Problem solved. (for real though…my coworker gave me almond-stuffed figs dipped in chocolate last year for Christmas, and they were amazing)

Katheryn — August 21, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

Those are definitely the best chocolate chips. I am so jealous over the justin’s choc. Almond butter. I would be going at that with a spoon for sure.

eatmovelove — August 21, 2010 @ 9:58 pm

LOL on the veggies.

Wild Saturday night indeed. I had a few drinks, and came home to about a liter (or more) of ice cream. …

MelissaNibbles — August 22, 2010 @ 3:46 am

I like melting chocolate chips and then drizzling it over Greek yogurt.

I’ve never had a fig. Just Fig Newtons.

Greg — August 22, 2010 @ 3:58 am

Chocolate almond butter? Looks delicious!

marla {family fresh cooking} — August 22, 2010 @ 5:34 am

My kids and hubs just finished off a bag of those PB pretzels….I know to keep far away ’cause those things are awesome!! Yes, I have made those grains. they are really good in veggie soup…..or just with butter & smoked paprika. Can’t wait to see what you are gonna cook up! xo

valerie from familyblog — August 22, 2010 @ 6:14 am

beautiful pictures
    thanks
    val

CaSaundra — August 22, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Oooh it all looks great–unfortunately I am not a huge fan of almond butter..but I’ve never tried Justin’s!

Bec — August 22, 2010 @ 6:35 am

Harvest Grains are awesome. I like to add spinach and feta to mine (it’s a good way to sneak in a vegetable).

Kim in MD — August 22, 2010 @ 6:47 am

I LOVE TJ’s, and you picked up some items I have never tried before (but will now because you like them)! Gorgeous photos…thanks for sharing!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 22, 2010 @ 6:56 am

I could absolutely eat nothing except peanut butter filled pretzels for the rest of my life and be a happy girl

Katie — August 22, 2010 @ 7:30 am

Nothing makes me happier than having a house with stocked food that I love and can’t wait to experiment with. I have to drive a good 30 minutes to my whole foods, too – but it is sooo worth it.

Also, I’d really like a handful of those chocolate chips, please.

Donire — August 22, 2010 @ 7:47 am

Ok, those peanut butter pretzels are amazing – have you tried the peanut-butter-FILLED-chocolate-covered-pretzels from TJ’s? AMAZING. I get that cous cous blend all the time – it’s delicious! I cook it in veggie stock and serve it as a side. SO GOOD.

Miriam — August 22, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Mmmm, figs. I just got back from Trader Joe’s myself! I try to walk there early Sunday mornings when all is quiet (about five miles), then take my time shopping. My perfect idea of me time. My addiction is the pumpernickel pretzels dipped in the edamame hummus. YUM. And their dark chocolate chips which I eat with Sharon’s lemon or passion fruit sorbet. And dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds, sweet with a great crunch. And I happen to love TJ’s almond flax seed butter, though Justin’s looks great, I’ve never seen or tried it before. I just loved going there, walking up and down every aisle, seeing what’s new, so I was so excited to come home and see your post. Enjoy!

Blond Duck — August 22, 2010 @ 8:25 am

WHERE did you find those pretzels?

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear — August 22, 2010 @ 8:34 am

I love seeing other people’s grocery stuff, so interesting! can’t wait to see what salty, cheesy veggie dishes you come up with :)

Evan Thomas — August 22, 2010 @ 8:37 am

I have a love/hate relationship with Justin’s chocolate nut butter. I love it; my wallet hates it. Thankfully, homemade chocolate nut butter isn’t so hard for when I go without.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — August 22, 2010 @ 8:47 am

Those chocolate chips really are the best. I always nibble on bags I open for baking, but I recently found an open one in the pantry that I definitely did NOT use. Looks like I inherited the chocolate chip gene from my dad…

That almond butter is amazing, I agree. Have you tried wrapping a blob in saran wrap and freezing it? Like a nut butter truffle. Heaven.

Rodzilla — August 22, 2010 @ 9:11 am

I’ve only seen the single serving packs of Justin’s at the Pittsburgh whole foods, is this where you found the jar?

I’m with you on it costing an arm and a leg; it seems that most almond butter’s do.

• Jessica — August 22nd, 2010 @ 9:24 am

Yes! They now have jars of every Justin’s nutbutter. They all had “new product” tags on them so I’m guessing it’s new this week? Even the girl who checked me out didn’t know they had it.

Kim @ Two Good Cookies — August 22, 2010 @ 9:51 am

I love grocery shopping. My Gent asked me the other day “so, are you done buying things yet?” Ha. Haha. Hahahaaaaa.

Ashley — August 22, 2010 @ 10:14 am

Yes!! I bought that pack of grains last time I was home. It’s delicious. I think you have to cook it a little longer for the chickpeas to cook through and maybe add a tad more water. I think I just topped it with butter + salt :)

newlywed — August 22, 2010 @ 10:56 am

Mmm, those figs look worth the drive. They are one of my favorites, too. Though I have never managed to keep them around long enough to cook with them! I eat them too fast.

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — August 22, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

I LOVE TJ’s!!!! But I haven’t had that grain mix before.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 22, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

I have never even tried PB filled pretzels…mainly because I’m positive I would not be able to practice self-control of any sort. I actually made a pretzel snack this weekend that was a huge hit. I took two Snyder’s pretzels and put a Rolo in between and melted it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. The salty/sweet combo was amazing! And so easy to make…bonus!

Holly — August 22, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

Never cooked with figs, & I don’t think I’ve eaten them either. But they actually look really cool :D

1. Pingback: An Adventure In Brownie Making - The Balanced Foodie