I had a perfect shopping day today. To me, that means finding things that I have wanted for months. To Mr. How Sweet, it just means I spent too much money.

Oh well. It’s all going to be put to use in ways that benefit him.

I can’t wait to snack on…

Addicting. I could eat my weight in these alone.

I don’t even have words. For weeks I have only been able to find this in packets. They cost an arm and a leg. This actually costs an arm and two legs, but it is worth it since I can go at it with a spoon. FYI – I hate all other almond butter.

These are the best chocolate chips. Currently, they are baking inside chewy chocolate chip cookies. I have also had multiple handfuls. I really like them in yogurt. And peanut butter. And just plain.

I can’t wait to cook with…

Figs! I love this time of year because I can actually find them. Yes, I have to drive 45 minutes just to find them, but they are so worth it to me. I just discovered figs (fresh and dried) over 2 years ago, and it may have been the best day of my life. I possibly love them more than chocolate. But not really.

Hopefully these babies are good. It is tough to find a juicy peach ’round these parts.

Yes. Vegetables. Can I just say that the prettier they are, the more I want to eat them? Even though I plan on combining them with copious amounts of salt, feta cheese, watermelon and oil, I am very excited to eat these. Two bites in I will probably change my mind, pick them all out, and just eat the cheese and watermelon.

Anyone ever used this grain blend from TJ’s? I have no idea what I’m going to do with it, but I’m going to use it as ammunition in breaking Mr. How Sweet’s 2-bags-of-brown-rice-a-day habit.

Just wanted to share a few more grocery staples with you!

Now, I must go tend to the cookies in the oven and the pizza dough that’s rising. Mr. How Sweet is in a trance watching the NASCAR race which makes me want to barf. And cry. And eat a lot of cookies.

Wild Saturday night we got going on here.

72 Responses to “Saturday Shopping.”

Katie (Sweets and Veggies) — August 22, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

Oh my gosh! Peanut butter filled pretzels ARE addicting. I love those things :)

Kat — August 22, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

I’m OBSESSED with Ghirardeli chocolate. My favorite are the ones that are 80% cacao. So good!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 22, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

i have no idea how i missed this post yesterday?! i seriously checked your blog like twice and now i am just seeing this. weird. must be lack of sleep on my part. 22 big ones the past few days.

anyway lovin your staples and your figs and tomatoes! have never tried that tj’s blend b/c honestly, i havent the patience to stand over a stovetop and cook grains for scott. as if i have the time or desire LOL

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ — August 22, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

Sounds like some good stuff to restock the pantry. Can;t wait to see you make something with the figs. I’m so tempted to get some, I just don’t know what to make. I have never used them before.

Ashley @ According to Ashley — August 22, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

Yum — I heart peanut butter filled pretzels!!

Yum Yucky — August 22, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

I went shopping today. My cart was nowhere near that healthy (this time). Darn

Jane — August 23, 2010 @ 12:49 am

Oh I so love those peanut butter filled pretzels! My daughter loves them too. I have tried to avoid them for the meantime. Somehow, when I have them with me, I happen to forget about the word moderation. Sigh.

Fit Chick in the City — August 23, 2010 @ 4:09 am

Those figs are beautiful!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — August 23, 2010 @ 10:31 am

I can’t wait to see what you do with those figs!

..and boy oh boy do I know the danger of pb-filled pretzels. YIKES :)

Jessica — August 23, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

Hello! First time commenter. I actually heard about your blog through my friend Geoff, who lives with Lacy, who may or may not be your cousin in DC!?

That mix has become a pantry staple! I used it one night when I had nothing in the house except for some frozen shrimp, edamame, and chicken stock. I threw everything together with some spices and it was super satisfying.

Love your blog!

Sarah W. — August 24, 2010 @ 6:35 am

LOVE the TJ’s Harvest Grains Blend! I usually make mine using Veggie or “no chicken” boullion cubes. It def needs a little flavor from boullion cubes.

We love it with fish, but really I just sub in place of brown rice, its nice for something “different”

Beth @ bethcooks — August 24, 2010 @ 11:21 am

So I know you don’t love veggies, but i just made something with that exact cousous, orzo, quinoa mix and it was delish! It is an awesome TJs staple I buy everytime now!

Probably would have been even better with bacon though….just sayin’. Maybe a BLT-type couscous salad?

molly — August 24, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

Never had it, exactly, but we’re big fans of big couscous, over here. Right now, I’d toss it with roasted zukes + feta, maybe a heap of basil + vinaigrette. In 2 months? I’d be all roasted sweet potatoes + black beans, plus a pile of cilantro and, well, feta.

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — August 24, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

I just bought some figs too from the farmers market here! I can’t wait to eat them!!!

heather — August 25, 2010 @ 9:54 am

ok. i have this FRIEND.
    she isnt very good at cooking things. or baking things. sometimes she pretends, but really, she is much more likely to eat a sandwich than successfully make much of anything worth taking a picture of.

this friend has started to get a bit more adventurous in the kitchen as of late.
    this friend recently told me about a burger she made with rootbeer. YES! ROOT BEER! can you believe it. I was kind of proud of her, as she didnt set the kitchen on fire at all, and the burger actually tasted pretty amazing. (um. not that i know. she told me)

She has been experimenting a lot more in the kitchen lately. getting away from the sandwiches. well, at least one day a week. or so she tells me. this friend.

so, recently this friend was thinking about figs.
    they are pretty, she thinks.
    they may be fun to work with in the kitchen, she thinks.

but i must ask – HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A FIG IS RIPE!? how to you pick a “good fig” and what exactly am i getting myself into?

oh. i mean. my friend. what exactly is my friend getting into?

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 1, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

Sorry for my very late comment… I’m finally getting caught up. I just had to say that I bought some of that Harvest Grains mix while I was on vacation, and it is awesome. I love it!!

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2010 @ 3:47 am

I just made it yesterday for the first time, and I loved it too!

corinne — September 2, 2010 @ 11:26 am

so late to the conversation BUT i love the harvest grains blend from tj’s! i use it a lot! soft texture like pasta, small like cous cous, good for you. yum yum. let us know what you do w/ it please!