Yep.

I went there.

What is up with all the early pumpkin recipes? I assume it is simply because I didn’t get to bake much with it last year. And when I did finally find some to hoard, I held it dear to my heart in fear that I would never get to buy pumpkin again.

Well, this is the last of the pumpkin recipes for awhile. A few weeks ago I opened a giant can and made some breakfast cakes and muffins, along with this bread. So no more pumpkin recipes.

At least not until next week. Then I’ll probably have 3-5 more. I can’t help myself.

So, what exactly is that inside the pumpkin bread?

That is a cinnamon-spiced cream cheese blend.

Yes. This pumpkin bread is stuffed with sweet autumn-flavored cream cheese. Stuffed I tell ya!

And I made mini loaves, but of course you can make one giant loaf. Because you know I made the mini loaves since eating 3 small loaves in one sitting is so much healthier than eating one large loaf. You know, just trying to be portion conscious.

Double Decker Pumpkin Bread

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350. Mix pumpkin and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, oil and vanilla and continue to mix.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Alternate adding dry ingredients and buttermilk to pumpkin mix – beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Pour into mini loaf pans, just halfway to the top. Spread about 1/8 cup cream cheese mixture over first layer, then cover with more pumpkin batter, leaving about 1/2 an inch to the top. For mini loaves, bake 35-40 minutes.

Note: As I typed in this recipe, I realized that I completely LEFT OUT the buttermilk! I totally overlooked it. No clue how that happened. However, as you can see the bread still came out (the batter was thicker than I remembered, now I know why) but the middle did sink a bit. I made these way back when, not forgetting the buttermilk, and they came out great. These ones still came out fantastic and delicious.

Cream Cheese Filling

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

2 tablespoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix ingredients together until well blended (you can use an electric mixer, but I mixed by hand).

There is a reason that I need to slow down with the pumpkin baking. Mr. How Sweet is no pumpkin fan. That leaves me, myself and… oh yeah, me to eat it.

I can hear the buttons popping off my pants now.

101 Responses to “Double-Decker Pumpkin Bread”

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 16, 2010 @ 3:57 am

Mmmm… cream cheese filling is the BEST! This totally reminds me of the upcoming fall season and I can hardly wait!

Eliana — September 16, 2010 @ 3:58 am

You never cease to amaze me girl! If you are going to keep on whipping up pumpkin recipes like this one, PLEASE don’t slow down. (sorry Mr. How Sweet)

Matt — September 16, 2010 @ 3:59 am

Wow you are amazing! How do you come up with these amazing recipes?

Gena — September 16, 2010 @ 4:01 am

O.M.G.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 16, 2010 @ 4:04 am

those look so good and moist! my husband doesn’t love pumpkin although he does manage to enjoy the pumpkin desserts when i make them, i think it is a mind thing!

Lizzy @ LBBakes — September 16, 2010 @ 4:24 am

Put it in the freezer if you’re the only one eating it! Not to avoid eating it, but to enjoy it a different way. I made pumpkin whoopie pies that look a lot like this a couple months ago, and I threw a few in the freezer. Perfect post-workout snack. ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 16, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Aghgh, this looks SO amazing, and I haven’t been able to find pumpkin anywhere here!!!! The can I used for my pumpkin bars apparently was the last can within a fifty mile radius of Altoona. Sigh.

Nicole, RD — September 16, 2010 @ 4:26 am

That looks amazing!!! I need mini loaf pans…STAT!!

Erica — September 16, 2010 @ 4:28 am

owww I love baking in filling! Looks awesome. This kind of reminds me of an updated version of a pumpkin roll. Delicious

Erica — September 16, 2010 @ 4:29 am

That looks soo good! It reminds me of carrot cake and I love carrot cake! I wish I could have a piece of this right now :)

Christy — September 16, 2010 @ 4:31 am

This recipe sounds DE-LISH!!!! :D
    Can’t wait to give it a try!

MelissaNibbles — September 16, 2010 @ 4:40 am

I wouldn’t even bother with the cake. I want the filling!!

Tina — September 16, 2010 @ 4:52 am

My husband isn’t a pumpkin fan either. It makes me sad. How can you not love pumpkin?! Those look really, really, really good. I need to find some Libbys stat!

Kim in MD — September 16, 2010 @ 4:55 am

Yum! It has been cool and brisk here in the mornings, and this kind of Fall weather always makes me crave pumpkin anything and everything! I have pumpkin in my pantry, and I am definately making this scrumptious bread this weekend! Thanks, Jessica!

Katrina — September 16, 2010 @ 5:02 am

This looks lovely! I don’t think it’s ever too early for pumpkin :) Yummy.

Lauren — September 16, 2010 @ 5:10 am

Jessica, I think we’re pumpkin soul mates! I can’t get enough of it. This bread look absolutely fabulous. My husband doesn’t like pumpkin either, so all of the pumpkin baked goods I make throughout the autumn is consumed by yours truly. Not that I really have a problem with that ;)

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — September 16, 2010 @ 5:15 am

Oh we are SO glad you went there! We’ve stocked up on pumpkin (fearing a shortage like last year) and are ready to bake with it – this bread looks like the perfect thing to start us off!

Rae — September 16, 2010 @ 5:18 am

Oh. My. God. I think I”m going to eat my computer screen! I hope I can find pumpkin in the grocery or I’ll go crazy to make this recipe!

Wei-Wei — September 16, 2010 @ 5:20 am

So cute! I love pumpkin but I can’t seem to get any canned. And when we do get pumpkin (it’s usually kabocha squash, which is a little different) I can’t help but want to just roast it with a little bit of butter. It’s SO amazing.

Kat — September 16, 2010 @ 5:21 am

that cannot be legal

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — September 16, 2010 @ 5:27 am

Yummmm!! This looks like a pumpkin bread sandwich of wonderful-ness :)

Aimee @ Simple Bites — September 16, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Bring on the pumpkin! You can’t post too many recipes in my opinion. This looks doubly good; thumbs up for cream cheese!

Dana — September 16, 2010 @ 5:56 am

I HAVE to make this…. sounds absolutely amazing! And I’m with you on portion control… if you have one little piece it doesn’t count, right? ;)

brandi — September 16, 2010 @ 6:01 am

goodness gracious. That looks like the BEST twinkie I’ve ever laid my eyes on :)

I need to make these.

CaSaundra — September 16, 2010 @ 6:04 am

Just when you think pumpkin bread can’t get any more delicious, you go and stuff it with cream cheese–I can always count on you for kickin things up a notch! :-)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — September 16, 2010 @ 6:07 am

Holy hell that loaf of bread looks so good! YUM!!!

Jil — September 16, 2010 @ 6:20 am

OMG…this looks in.cred.ible. I’m literally sitting at my desk dreaming of all things pumpkin now.

Heather — September 16, 2010 @ 6:26 am

You can never have too many pumpkin recipes so keep them coming! I love pumpkin and this bread with the filling looks delicious! Yummy! Can’t wait to try.

Rose in Ohio (@RoseMillsOhio) — September 16, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Always been intimidated by the “rolling” part of pumpkin rolls. Your double-decker pumpkin bread looks like the perfect alternative for us “rolling”-challenged people. Thank you for the enticing recipes you keep developing!

Marci — September 16, 2010 @ 6:28 am

looks delicious! can’t wait for more pumpkin in my house! i freeze all loaves and muffins and cookies I make (pre-slice the loaves) since my husband doesn’t eat most of it either!

Kristy — September 16, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Girl – With your recipes I can’t control by inner baker!

Sophie @ yumventures — September 16, 2010 @ 6:50 am

Holy cow! Thats all I can say.

Emily — September 16, 2010 @ 6:53 am

holy heaven that looks good! I made pumpkin bread last weekend but did NOT think of this sweet addition. next time!

Jennifer — September 16, 2010 @ 6:53 am

Now this is my kind of pumpkin bread! Looks delicious!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — September 16, 2010 @ 7:00 am

Wow this looks incredible!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — September 16, 2010 @ 7:12 am

I could devour this entire loaf in one sitting. It looks so amazingly decadent and delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Shanna, Like Banana — September 16, 2010 @ 7:18 am

Looks fabulous!

I really dislike cream cheese though..any ideas on subs? Maybe ricotta???

• Jessica — September 16th, 2010 @ 7:23 am

Do not like cream cheese!? Blasphemy! :)
      Actually, I’m not really familiar with ricotta (and my husband absolutely hates it) so I rarely make anything with it. I’m not sure if it would sub but it’s worth a try!

Marg — September 16, 2010 @ 7:19 am

I almost bought pumpkin last night, but wasn’t sure if Libby’s pie filling is the same stuff. I love the cream cheese in the middle!

I have the same problem with the boyfriend, but it’s majority of sweets not good for me!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — September 16, 2010 @ 7:47 am

why do you want me to be fat?

and p.s. i feel great this morning :)

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 16, 2010 @ 7:52 am

oh goodness this is an amazing idea! It reminds me of the pumpkin cream cheese muffins at Starbucks! The mini loaves are perfect for devouring :)

Kristina @ spabettie — September 16, 2010 @ 8:46 am

I made this last year!! :) My cream cheese middle was maple…

…and now that is reminding me of all of my recipes I lost when my computer died… I’m going to have to make this one again :)

looks fantastic. I’ll come over and eat Mr. How Sweet’s share. ;)

april — September 16, 2010 @ 8:59 am

Shoot that looks amazing! I’m not much for cream cheese (no clue why) but I’m thinking a pb frosting would be heavenly!

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — September 16, 2010 @ 9:00 am

Alright, it’s official. I cannot come back to visit your blog until after competition. These recipes and pics are beyond tempting and stirring up all sorts of cravings!

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, this looks amazing! You say you can hear the buttons pop off your pants.Well then, I think I hear the elastic snap in mine! HA;)

Kim — September 16, 2010 @ 9:03 am

holy cannoli, that looks delicious. because cream cheese anything makes everything better.

Mackenzie @ The Caramel Cookie — September 16, 2010 @ 9:09 am

Holy yum! It look so tasty!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — September 16, 2010 @ 9:17 am

We love pumpkin bread! Love the idea of filling it. Wouldn’t that be a great Xmas gift basket idea?! YES. ;)

Question from a non-baker to a kick ass baker… Could I sub whole wheat pastry flour ?

• Jessica — September 16th, 2010 @ 9:19 am

I’m sure! I always replace all purpose flour with whole wheat pastry in baking and it turns out great. But I’m no expert!

Tracy — September 16, 2010 @ 9:29 am

I’m so glad you went there. ;-) Love the autumn-y cream cheese stuffing! Yum!

Amalia — September 16, 2010 @ 9:36 am

You have no Idea how good that looks! Yum! I need some right noooow. I shall buy pumkins in big amounts!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' — September 16, 2010 @ 9:58 am

Oh, yum! Lucky for me, my husband LOVES pumpkin bread! (in fact, he’ll barely share with ME!!)

Thanks for the recipe! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 16, 2010 @ 10:02 am

omg that kinda looks like a homemade twinkie that’s been laced w/ pumpkin spice, and pumpk spice cream cheese-swoon!, but yeah girl, this one ROCKS!!!!

1. Pingback: Pumpkin!! | our first CSA & random yummy recipes

2. Pingback: Pumpkin Muffins with Spiced Cream Cheese Filling « Healthy Food For Living

3. Pingback: Small Plates : Pumpkin Bonanza! | Love and Homemade Recipes