I’m sorry to shout, but…

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

Yes, this was my dinner tonight. Gah. I just have no words.

Oh, and in the corner there is a toasted tortilla! I toast them on the stovetop in a skillet and they get a little crispy and bubbly – sort of resembling naan. Love them!

Eating what you love

I am a firm believer in eating what I love. I think it is pretty hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle when you don’t enjoy the things you are eating, right? Even for those who “eat to live” instead of “live to eat” must enjoy some of the things they eat, right?

This is a huge factor for me when it comes to fitness competitions, and the main reason I haven’t done any lately, nor do I plan to do any more. I want to love everything I eat and eat everything I love. Gone are the days when I down protein powder and plain chicken. It just ain’t happenin’!

I never played this game when it came to vegetables though. I have always forced down a few at least a couple times a week. In all seriousness, that may have meant some corn or at least spinach in a smoothie. I’m not loving every bite of vegetables I eat but I know I need to eat them. I need those vitamins and minerals, even if I do roast the hell out of them. So while I really don’t love them, I’m forcing myself to eat them.
Do you believe in loving everything you eat? And I’m obviously not talking chocolate and bacon here.

Fun Stuff

• I created a workout schedule where you can see what exercise I’m doing daily. You can access it from the Work It Out tab. It mostly happened out of boredom, I admit. Hopefully I will have the patience be able to update it each day. What do you guys think?
  • I created a separate page for the other workouts I’ve posted before since the page was getting soooo long. I’m going to add to it over the next few days, but in the meantime, you can see the newer workouts that I’ve actually done by clicking on the “fitness kick start” tab on the left sidebar in the tag cloud.

38 Responses to “Eat What You Love.”

Kristina @ spabettie — September 28, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

ABSOLUTELY I am a firm believer in Eat What You Love… which is why I am continually EXCITED about creating fabulous tasting foods that are healthy too!

:D

Looking forward to your workout page!

Runeatrepeat — September 28, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

Intuitive eating has taught me to eat what I love. Now I seek out my faves everyday and never feel guilty about it :)

megan — September 28, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

I definitely think you should love what you eat. I find myself not willing to waste the time, calories, or energy eating something I don’t love. There’s so many things I want to eat, I’m not going to force myself to eat something I don’t want to eat! But, like you, I make an exception for vegetables. I don’t always love them, but I do eat them. And if I’m at someone’s house, even if I don’t like it, I eat it anyway :) Oh, and to save money sometimes. So there are exceptions, but for the most part I agree with you.

Mary Demery — September 28, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

Hi Jessica,
    I love your blog! I’ve been a reader for a few months now. Your food – particularly the sweets – always looks incredible. Like I get hungry just looking at your page. Next on my recipe To-Do list is the Apple-Quinoa Yogurt parfait.

Last night I finally bit the bullet and created my own food blog. Thanks for all the yummy recipe inspiration!

amanda — September 28, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

I agree on eating what you love. I feel so much better when I eat tasty healthy food. I have been trying to pay attention to my feeling of how food makes me feel

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — September 28, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

I’m a definitely believer in “eating what you love” – but in a balanced way!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — September 28, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

WHOA! I’m in shock! I also agree with you though! I could never be a fitness competitor b/c I need my daily sweet, and b/c of that I don’t think I will ever have a stomach that looks like my husbands. And I’m fine with that! I am proud of you for sneaking in some more veggies. It definitely motivates me to do the same!

Kacy — September 28, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

That is my number one philosophy! I can’t eat stuff I don’t like just to be thin. I cannot do it!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 28, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

YESS love this! and love that dinner…ummm yes I am eating chicken breast and protein powder haha but not for THAT long :) you can sympathize with me on that one!

xoxoxox

mags — September 28, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

I believe in eating what you love also. BUT, I didn’t quit trying new vegetable recipes until I found a way to make them that I liked them. I actually struggle with fruit, so I have to work hard at incorporating it into savory recipes so that I can tolerate it.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — September 28, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

I totally agree! Eat what you love….in moderation of course! :)

Heather — September 28, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

i don’t even know who you are anymore…

Liz @ LBBakes — September 28, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

I am definitely a fan of eating what you love! I’ve had a few battles with eating throughout the years, but I’ve finally figured out life’s too short to restrict yourself. I’m obviously talking about things like chocolate and bacon with that statement. ;) But I actually do also love veggies – they make me feel strong!

Kim in MD — September 28, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

When I was a child/teenager/newlywed I didn’t really embrace more than meat and potatoes (my mom was British). As the years passed I have learned to love vegetables! I think the more you eat them the more you will crave them, Jessica! I can’t wait to see what vegetable you conquer (like) next! ;-) LOL!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — September 28, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

Yes, you need to eat what you love! But at the same time, I do love a lot of healthy foods so its not hard for me to get a balanced diet. If I didn’t love that stuff, I’d say that I’d probably do my best to get some in another way. So I might LOVE soup, but not veggies, so I’ll add more veggies to a meat heavy soup to make it more balanced. I’m all about hiding healthy if I must.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 28, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

Instead of loving everything you eat, I believe in eating everything you love :-)

Jill — September 28, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

I am definetly excited about the workout schedule’s you will be posting!! Thanks for taking the time to do that for us!

Natalie — September 28, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

I love your philosophy! I still am struggling with food issues but I believe in this principle because it teaches balance. I can’t wait to read your new workout posts!

Kocinera — September 28, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

I completely agree! It’s so important to love what you eat. When I find a healthy meal or snack that I totally love, eating healthy doesn’t feel like a chore.

Loving the workout extras, too!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 29, 2010 @ 2:35 am

i also agree in eating what you love… if you don’t i think you will be more susceptible to binges

Joy — September 29, 2010 @ 3:51 am

Uh oh pretty soon your blog title is going to have to be “eat your veggies” ;-)

Eric — September 29, 2010 @ 3:55 am

I’m currently preparing for a bodybuilding competition and I still eat what I love (albeit in much smaller quantities). You just have to be creative!

Chrissy — September 29, 2010 @ 3:57 am

Your blog has changed the way I think about food and I can’t thank you enough for that.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — September 29, 2010 @ 5:01 am

AMEN!! I’m amazed that you’re coming around! Good for you…roasting is the best way to consume any veggies, I agree :)

Amanda — September 29, 2010 @ 5:03 am

Good for you! I agree that its important to eat what you love! Well. In moderation of course. Which I CANT seem to do!

I am trying to teach the kiddies to eat new things and try stuff and have a balanced diet. :)

Blessings!
    Amanda

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — September 29, 2010 @ 5:10 am

I love a good moroccan stew! This looks wonderful! LOVE squash, so much. I happen to love veggies, not as much as bacon, but I do love them. There are a few I won’t touch though. Brussels sprouts are one of them…

MelissaNibbles — September 29, 2010 @ 6:04 am

I try to eat what I love. My favorite lover is frosting, but he alludes me….

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — September 29, 2010 @ 6:28 am

I do try to eat what I love as much as possible – though it isn’t always possible. As I continue learning about food, though, I have learned to love new, healthy foods and how to cook them to maximize flavor – like roasting vegetables for example! And never underestimate the power of spices!

Tracy — September 29, 2010 @ 6:56 am

I agree; it’s just not worth eating some things, like fat free cheese. *shudder* It’s so much better to be a little more watchful of what I eat and to eat in moderation than to eat things I hate!

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon — September 29, 2010 @ 7:19 am

I also totally agree with that statement. It’s so important to love what you’re eating…it makes everything in life so much easier…and better!

I feel into the protein powder and plain, white chicken trap last year…it was no fun. I wasn’t training for anything…I was just trying to eat a certain way to look a certain way…and I was NOT having fun OR loving what I was eating. I’m so much happier now that I actually eat what I LIKE to eat and don’t restrict myself.

Thanks for the post!

Angela — September 29, 2010 @ 7:58 am

Good for you! I’ve definitely discovered foods recently that I thought I hated but ended up liking with the right preparation.

Thanks for sharing the workout schedule. I love seeing other peoples workouts, it is both motivating and inspiring. I get stuck in workout ruts a lot.

Lisa @ I'm an Oie — September 29, 2010 @ 8:29 am

Yup, whats the point in eating if you dont love it? Im all about that now!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — September 29, 2010 @ 9:08 am

I totally believe that dieting shouldn’t mean anything other than finding the healthy foods you love and eating them. Then the things that aren’t healthy you can just work off.

Casey — September 29, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Ya know, it’s easier to eat for a show than eat for life in general. You always struggle with balance, balance of what you want and what you need while making it all something you ENJOY! You are a great role model for this! :)

• Jessica — September 29th, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

I totally understand this. When you can only eat certain things, it does make it easier! It just wasn’t enjoyable for me.

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — September 30, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Man, the deeper I get into this competition prep, the more I realize I really DO love to eat what I love and I miss it like crazy!!! I hate dieting and just want to enjoy a meal with my family without a care in the world or worrying about its carb, calorie or fat content. Sheesh! I know I’m driving my sweet husband crazy and he’s almost as anxious for this to be over with as I am!

The more I read your blog, the more I realize our food “tastes” are so similar- chocolate and bacon, heck yes!!! I love indulgent foods (of course, that is how I gained 20+ my first year of marriage DOH!) While I won’t binge on those indulgent treats daily after competition, it will be nice to savor the flavor again and E-N-J-O-Y my meals in moderation. As for now, I’m doing what I can to “spice up” my meals, but Mrs. Dash can only do so much for a chicken breast HAHA!

Marxgal — October 2, 2010 @ 5:58 am

I FULLY believe in loving what you eat. July 10 of this year, I began a new healthy lifestyle using the totally free sparkpeople.com. I am happy to say I have lost 29.4lbs eating food that I love! I have a long way to go, but I will enjoy the journey. I eat what I choose to eat, I could never be on one of those plans that require you to buy their food, where is the adventure? Making good choices doesn’t mean you need to eat leaves, twigs, and bark or worse, a tiny, unsatisfying, underseasoned meal.

Thank you for posting REAL FOOD recipes, it makes the getting there that much more worth going there. Keep up the great work!

*TIP for those who dislike veggies – Disguise them in a flavorful soup or stew! This way they take on the flavor of the other ingredients.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Eat What You Love. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com