I made way too many whipped sweet potatoes yesterday for Mr. How Sweet’s belated birthday dinner and knew I had to come up with some way to use them up.

Obviously it needed to be a sweet treat.

And I figured that Mr. How Sweet would think that sweet potato muffins resembled pumpkin muffins and wouldn’t want to touch them. So I didn’t even tell him about these muffins.

Oops.

I think he would have loved them too.

This was my first time using sweet potatoes in a baked good and I can’t even describe how thrilled I am with how these muffins turned out. They are so moist and fluffy, and that is with using all whole wheat flour.

They are basically autumn in a cup.

And since baked goods are never sweet enough for me, I whipped up a ginger glaze and topped it with some of the candied ginger that I bought on Saturday.

This was an excellent idea. Or maybe not, since I ended up stuffing my face with 3 muffins in 60 seconds.

If you are one of those people that likes their baked goods more savory than sweet, then just skip the glaze and go for the muffins in their naked state.

And more importantly, if you don’t love sweet things, why are you reading this website?

Just kidding. I love you. Please don’t leave me. I’ll share my muffins if you stay.

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins

makes 12 muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup brown sugar, loosely packed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

2/3 cup mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato puree

1/2 cup milk

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Add sugar, milk and egg. Stir in sweet potato. Combine until smooth.

Fill muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

Ginger Glaze

2 tablespoons water

3/4 cup powdered sugar

pinch of ginger

candied ginger for ganish

Mix water, sugar and ginger together, adding more sugar or water depending on desired consistency. Drizzle over muffins and top with candied ginger.

Now go make these muffins to perk up your Monday!

89 Responses to “Glazed Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins.”

Nicole, RD — September 27, 2010 @ 3:57 am

Leave off the ginger glaze? Blasphemy! They look wonderful!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 27, 2010 @ 3:59 am

mmmm… how very “fall” of you! Love sweet potatoes!

Tina — September 27, 2010 @ 3:59 am

You know I would want the glaze too. ;)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 27, 2010 @ 4:00 am

Love these!! Your pics keep on getting better and better!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — September 27, 2010 @ 4:00 am

YUM! Candied ginger is so delicious…and sweet potato?! What a delicious combo!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — September 27, 2010 @ 4:03 am

I never thought to use sweet potatoes in muffins, I bet these would go good with dinner (or as dinner too). I used ww pastry flour for the first time last week and my muffins didn’t stay together. Any idea why?

• Jessica — September 27th, 2010 @ 4:22 am

What else was in them and what was your batter like? I make all of my muffins with whole wheat pastry flour and they always stay together, but I also use eggs.

A Teenage Gourmet — September 27, 2010 @ 4:04 am

I prefer my baked goods sweet, but not too sweet. I’m still staying. Would you like my address? ;)

Blond Duck — September 27, 2010 @ 4:17 am

I’ve been dying to make sweet potato pie. I’ve never had one, and I’m so curious.

Marisa @Loser for Life — September 27, 2010 @ 4:23 am

Wow, what a great fall treat!!!!! Love these!

Erica — September 27, 2010 @ 4:26 am

yayy- I was looking for a new baked good to make for our launch in two weeks. Perfect! I’ve never baked with mashed sweets before either.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 27, 2010 @ 4:28 am

Glaze just makes everything better! Beautiful!

Kim in MD — September 27, 2010 @ 4:29 am

Now I am torn with what to bake today on this (finally) Fall like day here in Maryland…pumpkin bread or these sweet potato muffins? Your recipe looks scrumptious, Jessica! The addition of the glaze with the candied ginger takes them “over the top”! You are so creative!

Heather — September 27, 2010 @ 4:46 am

i’m thinking i need to make these asap…and the good news is they’re all for me since nate hates sweet potato and pumpkin spice stuff (GASP!)

barefootgirl27 — September 27, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I’ll stay…

shall I send my address so that you can send a muffin to share :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 27, 2010 @ 5:22 am

Ahhh, these look like the PERFECT fall treat!! I’m dying with all of the delicious fall baked goods that are popping up everywhere in blogland!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — September 27, 2010 @ 5:23 am

Loving this recipe!!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 27, 2010 @ 5:23 am

great idea for using up leftovers!

Kara @ MyWellnest — September 27, 2010 @ 5:25 am

What a great and delicious way to use leftovers!

CaSaundra — September 27, 2010 @ 5:31 am

I love using leftovers and turning em into something completely different! Very creative!

Krystina — September 27, 2010 @ 5:45 am

That ginger glaze is SUCH a good idea.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — September 27, 2010 @ 5:46 am

These look delicious- they would make an awesome replacement for rolls at thanksgiving without the glaze! Or just an addition because really, when can you ever have too many carbs?

Hope your week is off to a great start!!

Liz @ Bog is the New Black — September 27, 2010 @ 5:49 am

Of course you turned a “vegetable” into a dessert! Looks great, per usual!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — September 27, 2010 @ 5:52 am

I love sweet potato desserts. These look too good to be true!

Matt — September 27, 2010 @ 5:55 am

OMG those look good. They deserve a special spot in my stomach ;)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — September 27, 2010 @ 5:57 am

The first few photos look so good, but then I got to the last photo with the glaze. Wow those look so good! Autumn in a cup, I love it!

megan — September 27, 2010 @ 6:02 am

creative as usual! And since I like things as sweet as possible, I think I’ll stick around for awhile ;)

Chrissy — September 27, 2010 @ 6:07 am

I don’t like sweet potatoes. Nope, not making it up. I AM on a crazy muffin kick though. I’ll have to ask my boyfriend if he likes sweet potatoes.

Lauren — September 27, 2010 @ 6:20 am

Brilliant muffin recipe! I love pumpkin puree in baked goods, but sweet potato is another fantastic addition for nutrition, flavor, and texture. The ginger glaze must put the muffins over the top! Can’t wait to make these.

Katrina — September 27, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Great idea for muffins! Can we expect your mashed sweet potato recipe soon? :)

• Jessica — September 27th, 2010 @ 6:41 am

Kristina @ spabettie — September 27, 2010 @ 7:00 am

what is it with the mens disliking pumpkin, squash and sweet potatoes? Jason is the same way… although I made him try sweet potato fudge without telling him, and he liked it…

I’m making these anyway! :D

Eliana — September 27, 2010 @ 7:10 am

that glaze dripping down on the last picture is making my mouth water

Tracy — September 27, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Yum! I love that these have all whole wheat flour, too. I’m always afraid baked goods with all whole wheat won’t turn out moist enough, but these look wonderful!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 27, 2010 @ 7:16 am

The muffins look to die for, but I think I might just want a bowl of glaze…

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — September 27, 2010 @ 7:26 am

Oh my yumminess! These muffins look like they belong in my tummy…STAT! Who wouldn’t want that fabulous ginger glaze either? (Then again, I’m one of those “I’ll have some cake with my icing” kinda gals.

Gosh, these look PERFECT for Fall (well, for anytime, actually)…

Camille — September 27, 2010 @ 7:27 am

I love sweet potatoes to the death, so I imagine that I would loooove these!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — September 27, 2010 @ 7:53 am

I heart muffins. I heart sweet potatoes. I heart glaze! Can’t wait to try these. Just a question – where do you find whole wheat pastry flour? I’m assuming this is different than plain old whole wheat flour. Please advise!

• Jessica — September 27th, 2010 @ 8:04 am

Yes! I find mine in my grocery store where the health/organic food is. I use Bob’s Red Mill!

• Trish — September 30th, 2010 @ 8:13 am

Well that’s a sneaky place to put it! I’ve been hunting around for some but never thought to look there. I guess I’ll know better next time :-)

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — September 27, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Sweet potato anything is pretty dang good. I made some sweet potato oat cookies about a month ago…DELISH~!

Sara — September 27, 2010 @ 8:05 am

Sweet potatoes + ginger = you are brilliant.

Also, I love baking with whole wheat flour.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com — September 27, 2010 @ 8:11 am

omg Jessica!!! you made the two things in life that make me complete, muffins and sweet potatoes. I will bow down and chant “i am not worthy” !!! haha. these are made soooo well too!!

xoxo

Wei-Wei — September 27, 2010 @ 8:13 am

I am making this.

Sam — September 27, 2010 @ 8:35 am

It seems you left out when to add the sugar? also is it a packed 1/3 cup, or loose.
    Thanks!

• Jessica — September 27th, 2010 @ 8:38 am

Oops sorry – fixed it! And I loosely packed it.

• Sam — September 27th, 2010 @ 8:50 am

Making these right now, so excited! Though are all the portions sizes right? The mixture is very dry, not at all muffiny.

• Jessica — September 27th, 2010 @ 8:53 am

Are you using whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour? When it doubt, just add a little milk until the batter gets more wet – that is what I do!

• Jessica — September 27th, 2010 @ 8:55 am

Gah! So sorry – just checked the recipe AGAIN! It is 2 eggs and 1/2 cup milk! I’m so sorry about that – when I made the recipe I halved it. But how it appears now is for the full 12 muffins.

• Sam — September 27th, 2010 @ 9:44 am

My blog is under great maintenance so I’ll post my botched version gone great! Cooking time was the same, but these are a hearty-warm-up-and-butter-muffin, not a sweet glazed. Sorry. Still worth a try!

1 cup org & unbleached all purpose flour
          1 cup org kamut flour
          1 1/2 tsp baking powder
          1/3 cup org brown sugar
          1/4 tsp sea salt
          1 tsp org cinnamon
          1/4 tsp org nutmeg
          2/3 cup mashed sweet potato
          1 cup org apple sauce, unsweetened
          1/2 cup milk+
          2 eggs

Thank you for the base and inspiration of the recipe!

• Jessica — September 27th, 2010 @ 9:50 am

They sound great! Glad they worked out! :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — September 27, 2010 @ 8:42 am

So many delish fall like recipes in blog land these days! Makes me get into the season more. I need it to get about 30*’s cooler before I turn out oven on though… Heat wave in So Cal MUCH ? lol

Sues — September 27, 2010 @ 8:45 am

These look awesome and I love the candied ginger on top. I LOVE sweet potatoes in anything, but especially in sweet treats :)

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 27, 2010 @ 9:29 am

I am a sweet potato freak, so these muffins are right up my alley. I definitely have to try these out. That glaze just makes them look even more heavenly, yum!

mummy's kitchen — September 27, 2010 @ 9:44 am

WOW, these look fabulous, thanks for sharing them…

Kacy — September 27, 2010 @ 10:12 am

Mmmmm. I would probably prefer them naked, piping hot and dripping with butter. Ironically enough, that’s exactly how I prefer my men…

Ashley — September 27, 2010 @ 10:23 am

LOVE the photo of the solo muffin!! Aaaand the drippy icing. YUM!! I actually had a sweet tater in the oven when I read your post last night about the whipped sweet taters. Like I said, I’d never made them before…so I just had to try it. OMG!! I added almond milk, butter + salt. I used my immersion blender and they were so unbelievably creamy, even w/the skin on! yummmmm

Holly — September 27, 2010 @ 10:27 am

i love fall. when else can you bake with vegetables and make it taste so damn good, ya know?

Melanie — September 27, 2010 @ 10:35 am

Amazing way to use up leftover sweet potatoes! They look fantastic and I would justify eating an entire batch just because they have all whole wheat flour in them.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — September 27, 2010 @ 10:43 am

I’ve never thought to bake with sweet potato before, but these look so good! Mr. How Sweet’s bday dinner looked light’s out, too, even though I don’t like steak :smile:

1. Pingback: Loaded Sweet Potato Skins | How Sweet It Is