I made way too many whipped sweet potatoes yesterday for Mr. How Sweet’s belated birthday dinner and knew I had to come up with some way to use them up.

Obviously it needed to be a sweet treat.

And I figured that Mr. How Sweet would think that sweet potato muffins resembled pumpkin muffins and wouldn’t want to touch them. So I didn’t even tell him about these muffins.

Oops.

I think he would have loved them too.

This was my first time using sweet potatoes in a baked good and I can’t even describe how thrilled I am with how these muffins turned out. They are so moist and fluffy, and that is with using all whole wheat flour.

They are basically autumn in a cup.

And since baked goods are never sweet enough for me, I whipped up a ginger glaze and topped it with some of the candied ginger that I bought on Saturday.

This was an excellent idea. Or maybe not, since I ended up stuffing my face with 3 muffins in 60 seconds.

If you are one of those people that likes their baked goods more savory than sweet, then just skip the glaze and go for the muffins in their naked state.

And more importantly, if you don’t love sweet things, why are you reading this website?

Just kidding. I love you. Please don’t leave me. I’ll share my muffins if you stay.

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins

makes 12 muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup brown sugar, loosely packed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

2/3 cup mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato puree

1/2 cup milk

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Add sugar, milk and egg. Stir in sweet potato. Combine until smooth.

Fill muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

Ginger Glaze

2 tablespoons water

3/4 cup powdered sugar

pinch of ginger

candied ginger for ganish

Mix water, sugar and ginger together, adding more sugar or water depending on desired consistency. Drizzle over muffins and top with candied ginger.

Now go make these muffins to perk up your Monday!

89 Responses to “Glazed Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins.”

Ellen@FirednFabulous — September 27, 2010 @ 10:44 am

Girl, I wanna lick that icing! “Too sweet” are two words that don’t exist in my vocabulary! Yumm.

Michele — September 27, 2010 @ 11:43 am

I have a similar recipe I use for sweet potato muffins, but it has the crystallized ginger in the batter; I think they are my favorite muffin, I love them so much. I make them all the time in the fall.

Natalia - a side of simple — September 27, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

If you’re going to have dessert, go all the way. Sweet!

Yum Yucky — September 27, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

why must you torture me with these pics?

• Jessica — September 27th, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

Because I love you.

steph@stephsbitebybite — September 27, 2010 @ 2:29 pm

How funny that you didn’t tell Mr. Sweet about the muffins! I do that with Lucas sometimes. Or I only put out half of the finished product and hide the rest :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — September 27, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

YUM!! I love sweet potatoes so much – this is the best idea ever.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 27, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

those look awesome and i love how you put the ginger to use already!

i went out for sushi last nite. scratch that. i went out for drinks, drank them, and ate ginger. lol. Posting about it in a day.

Feel better!!

xo

homecookedem — September 27, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of SP muffins before! YUMMMM!! The glaze is literally the icing on top!! :)

Frugal Table — September 27, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

I just found your blog and these look amazing. I can’t wait to make them!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 27, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

umm if I am going to make these, I go all the way frosting and all…I seriously want a care package of just muffins the day after my competition LOL

Kat — September 27, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

The only way you know it’s good is if you’ve inhaled more than one without even batting an eye. That glaze looks delish!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — September 27, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

As usual, I’m drooling all over my keyboard. I wish I had some of those right now. Oh well, time to unwrap another vitamuffin…

One Healthy Apple — September 27, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

Oh my goodness- so, so good! I also have to say that your photography is outstanding lately- it looks so crisp and of course the food looks delicious as always!

• Jessica — September 28th, 2010 @ 3:42 am

Thank you so much!

Sara — September 28, 2010 @ 12:48 am

Those sound yummy! I will definitely be sending hubby for some sweet potatoes :)

Moni'sMeals — September 28, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

Sweet! They sure did perk me up, I really need to try these out, beautiful pictures too. ;)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 28, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

Yum! I want to make some sweet potatoes just so that I have an excuse to make these muffins!

Jessica — September 28, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

Although this is the first time I’m commenting, I love your site. I can’t wait to try these! Sweet potatoes are my favorite, I’m so happy they are finally in season!

Jennifer — September 29, 2010 @ 7:14 am

I’m reading this at work right now and it’s making me soooo hungry!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — October 5, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

I am so making these this weekend! Where do you get candied ginger? I haven’t a clue! Thanks!

Ingrid — October 14, 2010 @ 11:38 am

Sweet potatoe muffins! I’m in!

Katelynn — March 13, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

I just made these with a cinnamon glaze instead of a ginger one…delish!!

Laura @ Casa del Hansen — October 24, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

Just have to say – I just made these with butternut squash. LOVE! (I know this comment is for an ancient post, but had to add it). Thanks!

Stacy — September 19, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

These are exactly what I was looking for! Do you know if I could substitute maple syrup for the brown sugar? I have honey too. Not sure how that may effect the texture of the muffins or if I would need to alter the proportions of the other liquid ingredients, any ideas?

Janaye — November 5, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

Hey just made these and i LOVE them! The only thing is… mine did not turn out as fluffy as yours look. mine came out pretty dense. I think I used a tad more sweet potato. Could that be it– or do you have any recommendations to make them fluffy?

brenda — March 4, 2014 @ 5:06 am

there is no oil or butter used in these recipe?