In my experience, any additional cheese in a recipe is a wonderful thing.

It doesn’t even need to be in a recipe. Any additional cheese in my hands is a wonderful thing.

I think I once ate an entire brick of cheese in about 24 hours in college. It was gross. And delicious.

Initially, I found this recipe for parmesan pizza crust by Emeril.

I used my go-to whole wheat crust recipe instead, and added a big ole’ handful of cheese to it. I was worried it may not rise. Honestly, I don’t know the first thing about baking yeast breads and dough. Occasionally my crust doesn’t rise, but instead of trying to figure out where I went wrong, I just furiously try to roll out a lump of dough to form the crust. I’m usually hungry.

Imagine my excitement when I peeked and saw the dough rising! I had to peek – I’m sure that’s not recommended – but I think we all know that patience is certainly not my strong point.

The best part about this crust was how incredible it smelled while it was baking. My house was full of fragrant baking parmesan cheese.

Trust me, that is a good thing. Now I understand why Emeril always talked about “smellevision.” I wish you could smell it through the screen.

Parmesan Pizza Crust

inspired by Emeril

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

3/4 – 1 cup lukewarm water

In a large bowl combine flour, salt, yeast and parmesan cheese. Mix with a spoon and create a well in the middle. Add in 3/4 cups water, honey and olive oil. Stir with a spoon until dough comes together. Continue to form into a ball with your hands. If more water is needed, add it by the tablespoon.

Knead dough for 1-2 minutes before placing it in a lightly oiled bowl and covering. Let rise for 1 1/2-2 hours.

When it comes to food, Mr. How Sweet doesn’t like change. He likes plain, “regular” meals. If he loves something, he doesn’t want one single thing changed in the recipe.

I knew I couldn’t tell him about the this before he ate it. He didn’t even know I added parmesan to the crust. Until right now.

Sorry, Mr. How Sweet! Good thing you already told me how delicious it was.

61 Responses to “Parmesan Pizza Crust.”

Wei-Wei — September 1, 2010 @ 4:06 am

So the parmesan is barely detectable in the crust? This sounds amazing nevertheless… Why restrict the cheese to just topping the pizza? Why not bake it INTO the crust?! Genius.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — September 1, 2010 @ 4:12 am

That crust sounds good!!! I’m going to be dreaming of melty, cheesy goodness all day at the j-o-b. (I may need to work on things to dream about, eh?) haha :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — September 1, 2010 @ 4:15 am

Is there anything better than a homemade pizza?! (Besides bacon, smartypants!)

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 1, 2010 @ 4:15 am

I’m a huge believer in adding cheese to just about everything so parmesan in pizza crust definitely makes sense to me!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 1, 2010 @ 4:15 am

great idea! parmesan is the best addition to anything italian:-)

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli — September 1, 2010 @ 4:17 am

I’ve recently just discovered Parmesan in my pizza dough too. Delicious! In fact I maybe just baked up some crust and ate it as a snack. Maybe.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 1, 2010 @ 4:18 am

Good thing he trusts you too! Tony always says that to me since I cook 95% of the time and just serve it up! It looks delicious! Have a great day Jessica!

Katrina — September 1, 2010 @ 4:22 am

I love this idea! Whole wheat crust is my favorite, and I LOVE parmesan. This sounds great.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 1, 2010 @ 4:30 am

How can adding cheese to a pizza crust NOT taste good! I need to try this ASAP!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — September 1, 2010 @ 4:31 am

D*mn you! Always one step ahead of me. Now I know to ask what ingredients there are before I answer.

(we both know in 5 minutes I will forget that I’m supposed to remember to ask what ingredients are in whatever I’m eating so you are back to being one step ahead of me)

Mr. How Sweet It Is — September 1, 2010 @ 4:32 am

but that pizza was good seeing how I ate all but one slice.

Heather — September 1, 2010 @ 4:53 am

mmmmmmmmm cheese…last night we were saying grace and all i could think was, “Thank you God for cheese.” that’s normal, right?!

Erica — September 1, 2010 @ 4:54 am

booooooook marking. Perfect pizza for me to make when the man’s friends come over for entourage night!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — September 1, 2010 @ 4:56 am

We love making homemade pizzas and are always looking for new ideas – parmesan crust sounds great!

Sometimes I don’t tell my husband about ingredients in dishes until after he eats it too…haha

Tina — September 1, 2010 @ 5:01 am

I don’t like things super cheesy but may be able to make an exception for that. I love all things pizza and you can’t go wrong with parmesan in the mix.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 1, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Homemade pizza crust is the best. And nothing suffers from cheese being added.

Tracy — September 1, 2010 @ 6:02 am

LOL, my hubby is the same way…I’m not allowed to change things about his favorite meals, either. If I so much as use a slightly different kind of sauce on our spaghetti, he tells me it tastes weird. I think our hubbies would get along. ;-)

• Jessica — September 1st, 2010 @ 6:04 am

Hahah I can totally relate – a few weeks ago he saw me using a different pizza sauce on his pizza and just about had a conniption.

Matt — September 1, 2010 @ 6:02 am

Just bookmarked the recipe! You know how I am about cheese ;)

Cara — September 1, 2010 @ 6:06 am

I usually put parm on top of my pizzas, so it’s a brilliant idea to toss it right into the crust.

Terri A. — September 1, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Beyond yum! I’m not sure I’d need to top the crust with anything except cheese. White pizza on a cheese crust. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 1, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Sounds good to me. I love homemade pizza.

Katie — September 1, 2010 @ 6:29 am

I usually put parm on a pizza crust, but never IN it…how incredible! Mr. Yes, I want cake will love it! We have pizza’s planned for Friday. :-) Thanks for the great idea.

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — September 1, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Delicious! I love that the cheese is in the crust…perfection!

Kim in MD — September 1, 2010 @ 6:37 am

Wow! Adding parmesan to the pizza dough is a great idea, and I love that you use whole wheat flour! I am going to give this a try the next time we make pizza!

brandi — September 1, 2010 @ 6:38 am

I’ve never thought of putting parmesan IN the crust! I may need to try this next time.

kay (eating machine) — September 1, 2010 @ 6:39 am

mmm that would be good.
    have you tried some chopped up fresh basil in the crust? heaven

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — September 1, 2010 @ 6:42 am

Additional cheese in a recipe is DEFINITELY always a good thing! I’ve never made my own pizza though before but this sounds delicious.

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) — September 1, 2010 @ 7:09 am

I cannot believe I have never heard of this. You are a goddess among mere mortals, girl.

Erica — September 1, 2010 @ 7:23 am

I love cheese and adding it to pizza crust is so awesome. Never would have though to do that. Go Emeril!

Eunice — September 1, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Mmmm. I was looking for a pizza crust recipe, and this one looks perfect. Any recipes that involve yeast and “kneading” make me uneasy, but I’ll have to get over my fear of kneading one day. And then I will make this pizza. :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — September 1, 2010 @ 8:25 am

YUM! This sounds teriffic. I’ve been wanting to learn to make my own yeast dough for forver. It always sounds so simple, but I’m scared! I watched my cousin do it and it really was that easy. I need to give this a whirl!

april — September 1, 2010 @ 9:03 am

Yum! I bet my sister would love this…she’s a cheese freak!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — September 1, 2010 @ 9:04 am

My husband to would totally love this crust. The more cheese, the better!

Carrie — September 1, 2010 @ 9:40 am

Mmmm, cheese. When I was little my best friend and I *loved* cheese. We would perform “squeak operas” and act like mice to get her mom to give us more cheese.

Which reminds me, I had a gluten-free PEACH and cheese (some sort of white cheese) that was absolutely to die for this past weekend. I have to recreate it, it was so amazing.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 1, 2010 @ 10:13 am

SCott would go ga-ga for this one!

I think him and Mr Sweet would get along great. Im thinking group vacay somewhere, someday :)

Blond Duck — September 1, 2010 @ 10:59 am

You come up with the best ideas.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — September 1, 2010 @ 11:54 am

I agree, cheese makes EVERYTHING better. I’m drooling over that pic..Mmmm

Chicago Cuisine Critique — September 1, 2010 @ 11:58 am

Yum that sounds/looks delicious!

Naomi(oneFF) — September 1, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

that sounds SO delicious! i love when cheese is baked INTO the crust! (that is when i can eat pizza *sigh*) Remember the cheese stuffed pizza crusts at the pizza shops! OMG I used to eat the crust first haha

xoxoxoxo

• Jessica — September 1st, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

I love stuffed crust!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — September 1, 2010 @ 12:38 pm

I’m with you. Adding cheese to almost anything makes it infinitely better. I’m sure Mr. How Sweet would’ve been fine. Unless he doesn’t love cheese as much as us. And if that’s true, I say Godspeed to you my friend. ;)

homecookedem — September 1, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

I may have to make a personal pan pizza just for me with this yummy crust recipe!! :)

Dana — September 1, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

I’m definitely with you on the cheese… everything is better with cheese! This sounds amazing. I may have to sneak some extra cheese into the crust of my next pizza!

mags — September 1, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

I wish I could smell that too. The smell of pizza makes me pie-eyed. (Might be the beer though)

Lynne — September 1, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

What’s the difference between pastry flour and regular whole wheat flour? I have the intimidation. Please hold my hand while I enter the land of Yeast.

• Jessica — September 1st, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

I’m not an expert, but I think whole wheat pastry flour has a higher starch content that regular whole wheat flour? From what I know, it gives the benefit of “whole wheat” but isn’t as heavy or gritty as regular whole wheat flour. In my experience it has made baked goods lighter and fluffier!

Nicole, RD — September 1, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Save! That looks like the best pizza crust I’ve ever seen!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} — September 1, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Cheese and bread are two of my favorites. I bet this crust is amazing!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ — September 1, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

I have been looking for a really good whole wheat pizza dough. I;m going to try this one. I have had so much trouble with homemade pizza.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — September 2, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

Now that’s how to get your veggies in! Yum :)

Jenn

CaSaundra — September 3, 2010 @ 5:15 am

I’ve never thought of adding cheese to the actual crust–how clever!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — September 7, 2010 @ 2:16 am

Cheese in the crust? Yumm! Just like those stuffed crust ones :)

1. Pingback: Monday Blues | Write Cook Travel Live