I have one word and one word only.

Ew.

I really don’t want to discuss it.

No, I really don’t want to discuss it.

How does one even eat that thing? Do you eat the bottom stem-like part? Because I definitely cut that off.
Here’s the deal.

I fried up one piece of bacon and let all the drippings get happy in the pan. My, oh my does bacon grease thrill me like nothing else on this planet. (That’s probably half of my problem.)

Then I caramelized the onion in the bacon grease, added the potato, added the brussels sprouts, and later finished it off with some balsamic vinegar at high heat.

So they come off the stovetop. I sit down and mind you, I was starving. I mean, bring out that bacon and I basically shift in to Pavlov’s dog regardless of what time of day it is. I push the sprouts around, hoping that they will disappear and search for crumbly little bacon bits. Then I decided to make this quick and painless and I eat one.

I sort of liked it. Maybe “like” isn’t the right word. But I don’t hate it.

This can’t be right, I’m thinking. So I eat another one. They were actually kind of good. You know, good in the way that they didn’t make me want to vomit.
So I kept on eating them. And lo and behold, I ate every single one you see on that plate!

Okay. So it was only 4 brussels sprouts. I know. But I cut them in half so really I ate 8, right?

And you’re right – I did eat them fast because I might have made a deal with myself that I couldn’t even touch the bacon and potatoes until the green things were gone. So yes: I bribed myself with bacon.

But still – they weren’t terrible.
The bad news is that I’ve tried eating brussels sprouts in different ways (roasting, etc) and have had to admit defeat. I don’t really think brussels sprouts and I will be hopping on the love boat anytime soon, unless I can continue to romance bacon and potatoes on the side.

Potatoes, Bacon and Brussels Sprouts

serves 2

2 potatoes, chopped (I used yukon gold)

1/4 vidalia onion, chopped

1 slice bacon

8-10 brussels sprouts

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Chop bacon and add to skillet, frying until brown. Remove bacon bits and let drain on paper towel. Add the onion to the bacon drippings and sprinkle with salt. Caramelize for 2-3 minutes, then add chopped potatoes. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chop brussels sprouts in half and add to the pan, flat side down. Let cook for 5 minutes. Flip brussels sprouts and cook for 5 more minutes.

Add balsamic vinegar and stir. Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Remove from pan and sprinkle with bacon. Season with salt and pepper if needed.

Well… this changes everything.

Check out my post over at Zesty Cook! It involves one of my favorite snacks.

118 Responses to “Potatoes, Bacon and… Brussels Sprouts?!”

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — September 21, 2010 @ 3:57 am

Well I’m a Brussels sprouts lover…and bacon of course…so to me this dish looks just delicious. And look at you eating sprouts…yay!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 21, 2010 @ 3:59 am

wow – you made brussel sprouts actually look good! :)

Erica — September 21, 2010 @ 4:07 am

haha oh no! I love brussels! You should definitely cut off that bottom part ;) They are for sure a love em or hate em vegetable. I didn’t even try them until I moved in with Josh! My mom is on the hate em side and refuses to cook them despite the fact that my dad loves them.

Katrina — September 21, 2010 @ 4:15 am

This looks great! Mmm mmm brussels sprouts!

A Teenage Gourmet — September 21, 2010 @ 4:16 am

These looks fantastic! I’m a fan of brussel sprouts though.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — September 21, 2010 @ 4:20 am

I love brussels sprouts, but these look even better!!! Good job, you’re really spreading your wings! ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 21, 2010 @ 4:30 am

Mmmmm, I LOVE brussels sprouts!! You’re totally crossing over to the dark side :-)

amanda — September 21, 2010 @ 4:35 am

I have also tried brussels sprouts many ways without success. This one does have potential. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 21, 2010 @ 4:40 am

I love love love brussels sprouts! You are totally shifting to the dark side ;)

Next thing you know you’ll be announcing that you’re vegetarian ;)

Kim in MD — September 21, 2010 @ 4:40 am

This looks fabulous! I love brussel sprouts roasted- that is the only way I can eat them. Cooking them with bacon, onions and potatoes is genious! Why didn’t I think of that? :-) I am making this as a side dish for Thanksgiving! Maybe I can convince my family (and my husband’s family) that brussel sprouts are good! Thanks, Jessica!

• Jessica — September 21st, 2010 @ 4:44 am

If I can eat them, I think ANYONE can eat them!

• Kim in MD — September 21st, 2010 @ 5:05 am

I know, right? You are so funny…reading your blog every morning really makes my day, Jessica!

Marisa @Loser for Life — September 21, 2010 @ 4:44 am

I am impressed! Brussel sprouts are definitely a big jump into veggie land! I am a veggie lover and I still don’t totally love brussels yet! But, maybe with bacon…

Midgetkeeper — September 21, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Anything with bacon is a winner in my book. These look delicious.

barefootgirl27 — September 21, 2010 @ 5:07 am

You made those look yummy!!

I grew up despising them.. my mom cooked the living daylights out of them until they were a color that I’ve NEVER seen in nature
    *shiver*

I psyched myself up to try them recently .. I sauteed them in olive oil & garlic & topped with roasted pine nuts.. and I was proud to say that I ate them…

they were a pretty bright green;)

but if I added bacon?

yum.

Kristy — September 21, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I think this would be the ONLY way I would like brussel sprouts! Bacon and Peanut Butter make everything better in my book!

Lauren — September 21, 2010 @ 5:18 am

I’ve actually come to really love roasted or pan-sauteed brussels sprouts, so I think I would like this recipe! The potatoes and bacon addition means that my husband would enjoy the dish as well :).

Signorina — September 21, 2010 @ 5:23 am

I don’t like brussel sprouts at all, but cooked like in your recipe I think I could like them… ;)

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — September 21, 2010 @ 5:28 am

WOW way to make Brussels sprouts appetizing.

Tina — September 21, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Brussel sprouts are my favorite! This sounds like such a good and simple dinner. And yea, I don’t eat the little stem thing.

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear — September 21, 2010 @ 5:33 am

Looks like a tasty meal. I used to be the same with sprouts but when you roast it in vinegar it’s actually quite good :)

Eunice — September 21, 2010 @ 5:35 am

Kudos to you on the brussel sprouts thing! I’m not a fan. Cutting them in half totally counts. I mince most of my veggies until they are almost unrecognizable. Gotta get ‘em in!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — September 21, 2010 @ 5:38 am

I’ve eaten exactly one brussel sprout in my lifetime. I’m just not a fan. ;-\ Maybe when I grow up I’ll eat them! ;-)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 21, 2010 @ 5:42 am

you always make me laugh! i actually love roasted brussel sprouts but my favorite way to have them is chopped in a food processor and doused in a ton of olive oil and parm. then roasted. sooo good.

• Jessica — September 21st, 2010 @ 5:43 am

Okay that sounds really good! I may try that one tonight!

Emily — September 21, 2010 @ 5:43 am

I felt the same way about brussel sprouts until a friend came over and tossed them with an aioli of sorts – a combo of mayo, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Not a lot of mayo, just enough for a light coating. I keep making sprouts this way bc it’s AWESOME. Sometimes with wasabi mayo if I want some heat. Give it a shot! (I also love roasting them with shallots and coating them in a maple sauce… but maybe you’ve already tried something similar).

• Jessica — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:25 am

The aioli sounds interesting though I’m not a huge fan of mayo. I did try roasting them with maple syrup, but I think I need to try harder next time. Need to give it another go ’round!

Annie — September 21, 2010 @ 5:45 am

I think bacon is the gateway drug to brussel sprouts. I did not like them until my aunt made them for me with bacon. My fiance did not like them until I made them for him with bacon. :) I did finally eat them without bacon – roasted a long time and then covered in BBQ sauce. I still think they are best with bacon (duh).

Matt — September 21, 2010 @ 5:47 am

I might lose some cool points with you because brussel sprouts are my favorite veggie!

• Jessica — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:24 am

I forgive you. :)

Sues — September 21, 2010 @ 5:48 am

I enjoy brussels sprouts. But I especially enjoy brussels sprouts when there’s bacon involved. These look so pretty!

Evan Thomas — September 21, 2010 @ 6:04 am

I love every ingredient there

Casey — September 21, 2010 @ 6:11 am

Hi Jess! I’m new to following/commenting on your blog, but I have been a fan for a while! You are hilarious and definitely give me a laugh every day, as well as make my stomach rumble ;).

I love that you have recently started posting on your Fit Bites page a lot more-I love it! I am a npc competitor, but have decided to take some time off to keep my sanity, so i can relate a lot to the feelings you takl about!

Looking forward to being more active on your page! :)

Kristina @ spabettie — September 21, 2010 @ 6:23 am

well, you’re a bigger person than ME, then… I don’t know if I could even eat a brussels sprout THIS WAY, and you make them look good… ;)

I’d probably still be childish and sit there for an hour in refusal. Then maybe plug my nose and try one.

:D

Erica — September 21, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Hahaha! I love your hate for veggies! These look great. Maybe my sister will eat them now too since they have bacon in them!

Liz @ LBBakes — September 21, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Correct me if I’m wrong, since I’ve never had the little sprouts – aren’t brussels sprouts a cabbage? I really want to try them but I hate cabbage with passion.

• Jessica — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:35 am

Hahaha girl you are asking the WRONG person! I have no idea, though they do look like little cabbages. Dare I say they are kind of cute?

Mellissa — September 21, 2010 @ 6:38 am

I made brusque sprouts last night too!

TheHealthyApron — September 21, 2010 @ 6:38 am

While I would love to say that I like brussel sprouts…I literally am repulsed by them. I think I gagged the first time I ever ate one. I won’t be adding these to my repertoire any time soon! hahha But bacon does seem to make everything better huh?

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — September 21, 2010 @ 6:52 am

Hey, anyway you can get the veggies in, girl. Who cares if bacon is involved?!?

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 21, 2010 @ 7:05 am

Jessica, thank you for the sweet comment yesterday! I really appreciate it!

Now, bacon and brussels sprouts! My boys are all over that. I made mine with bacon grease last time and they were fighting each other for it. The addition of bacon and potatoes…well that just takes it over the top! It looks delicious!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — September 21, 2010 @ 7:10 am

Ha! I am so with you on the “do I eat the stem part? how do I eat this???” I have never eaten them because I just don’t know! But you are so right: bacon + vidalia onions? How could you go wrong?

Heather (Heather's Dish) — September 21, 2010 @ 7:28 am

ohmigosh these look awesome…but i love me some brussels sprouts! i’d hit that…

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — September 21, 2010 @ 7:30 am

This is actually making my mouth water. Who would have thought? Now I want to hop on the brussel sprouts bandwagon!

Marg — September 21, 2010 @ 7:35 am

I forgot who asked this week the one thing you’re afraid to eat – I put brussel sprouts. You actually made me think I could try it out this way!

• Jessica — September 21st, 2010 @ 7:39 am

You should try it! As someone that despises veggies and brussels sprouts being the most “veggie-like” vegetable ever, I enjoyed them. I may actually eat them again tonight.

Jessie — September 21, 2010 @ 7:37 am

This is my favorite way to eat Brussels sprouts. You will be hard pressed to see me eat one without the bacon.

Kacy — September 21, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Haha, I’m glad you didn’t hate them. Definitely cut off the stems and I like to remove the outer leave because the underneath part is more tender.

Ashley — September 21, 2010 @ 8:04 am

i.love.you. Thanks for the morning laugh! And yes, you definitely cut the stem things off ;)

MoniMeals — September 21, 2010 @ 8:06 am

Amazing Meal Jessica!
    Brussels have such a bad rep, don’t they! I love Brussels sprouts and roasting them is the key for sure. :) Glad you liek them now. I make something very similiar to this too I just use tempeh bacon. Great recipe!

Wei-Wei — September 21, 2010 @ 8:16 am

Oh, my.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — September 21, 2010 @ 8:24 am

I already love b-sprouts, but you add potato and bacon?! Outta this world!! I still can’t really believe that you ate it ;) Perhaps next time you break out the sprouts you can have Mr How Sweet take a picture of you as proof ? hehe!

Kocinera — September 21, 2010 @ 8:25 am

I actually really like brussels sprouts–as long as they’re not the chewy frozen kind. Eww. Though I will admit that half the reason why I like brussels sprouts lies in the butter, bacon, etc. that they’re cooked in. :)

Angela — September 21, 2010 @ 8:25 am

I love brussels, but the bf, not so much. He does love his bacon. And carmelized onions. I should really make these for him. Or I should just send him the link and tell him to get cooking. Actually I think that option wins. ;)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 21, 2010 @ 8:43 am

I love brussels sprouts and I love bacon. This basically looks like heaven on a plate.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — September 21, 2010 @ 8:51 am

I have TRIED to like brussels sprouts, but it just seemed like an impossible task. Until now. The texture will most likely always skeeve me out a bit, but adding bacon is definitely a good idea!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — September 21, 2010 @ 8:54 am

I have a suggestion. Try adding a little mustard and honey to the vinegar and you will LOVE eating your brussels. I think I posted this for you!

• Jessica — September 21st, 2010 @ 8:56 am

Thank you! I will try!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Potatoes, Bacon and… Brussels Sprouts?! | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Apple Nachos. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Thirsty Thursday « Blog is the New Black

4. Pingback: Never Have I Ever | Student of Healthy Living

5. Pingback: Anniversary Dinner = Comfort Food. | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Shredded Sprouts Salad with Bacon and Asiago | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Crispy Honey Chicken | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Don’t Hate Me for This Side Dish! « Galaxy Fitness Club's Blog

9. Pingback: Don’t Hate Me for This Side Dish!! « Westmoreland Athletic Club's Blog

10. Pingback: Blog is the New Black » Blog Archive » Chicken Parmesan

11. Pingback: Warm White Bean and Spinach Salad | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter and Toasted Pecans | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Brussels Sprouts with Sweet Potato and Bacon. |